Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mistle posted:

"He parked really close to that- "

:stare:

:catstare:

:catbert:

What am I missing in this image? I only see a kei truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Memento posted:

OK sure, but here is also a list of things that won't explode on contact with chlorine trifluoride:

That is all.

Also it gives off clouds of hot hydrofluoric acid if it comes into contact with water.

Aluminum fluoride holds up okay :v:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

therobit posted:

What am I missing in this image? I only see a kei truck.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

...I thought it was parked in front of a small building, not towing it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's not towing it either

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Wow, I thought it was parked in front of that, not hauling it. That's impressive.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If it fits, it ships.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That LPG truck that crashed in Bologna yesterday never had a loving chance - the truck it hit had a shipment of paint thinner in the back.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
"It's running a little rough..."
https://i.imgur.com/cc6ba25.gifv

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Asbestos was never illegal, as a blanket statement. It's illegal in a number of applications, the legality of those applications is not being reconsidered, and it will continue to be illegal in those applications. The government will consider applications for new uses on a case-by-case basis.

Here is the list of what asbestos is and is not banned in:

https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/us-federal-bans-asbestos#banned

Legal asbestos uses:

quote:

Cement corrugated sheet
Cement flat sheet
Clothing
Pipeline wrap
Roofing felt
Vinyl floor tile
Cement shingle
Millboard
Cement pipe
Automatic transmission components
Clutch facings
Friction materials
Disk brake pads
Drum brake linings
Brake blocks
Gaskets
Non-roofing coatings
Roof coatings

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/russian-asbestos-trump_face/

"The US has legalized asbestos again and Russia is making it with pictures of President Donald Trump's face stamped on it" is the stupidest timeline.

It's hilarious, but seriously even with it 'legalized' who's buying and using it? I'd think it'd be a huge liability issue to start using it as roofing material etc etc

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/y9J4Aii.mp4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

porktree posted:

It's hilarious, but seriously even with it 'legalized' who's buying and using it? I'd think it'd be a huge liability issue to start using it as roofing material etc etc

Any contractor who is big enough. There's no such thing as liability for poisoning loads of people if you have enough money to tie them up in court until they die.

Speaking from experience, this is literally the safest way to do that - as long as you put up barriers so no dumb-rear end can walk under the slope.

e: You need an illegal (at least in Finland) lawnmower though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

drat this is pretty clever

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

finally all that time i spent practicing yo-yo skills in school is paying off

Jerry Cotton posted:

Any contractor who is big enough. There's no such thing as liability for poisoning loads of people if you have enough money to tie them up in court until they die.

also it takes decades for asbestos symptoms to show up and then it kills you. one of our (australia's) highest positioned current politicians (julie bishop) ran CSR Limited's whole defense against asbestos exposure claims with the tactic of simply sandbagging until the plaintiffs died

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking from experience, this is literally the safest way to do that - as long as you put up barriers so no dumb-rear end can walk under the slope.

I've also seen landscapers use these remote control mowers

http://www.slope-mower.com/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have seriously considered doing this for mowing the side of the dam. It's too steep to walk on effectively unless you try to use the brushcutter with one hand while hanging on to handy vegetation with the other.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've also seen landscapers use these remote control mowers

http://www.slope-mower.com/

Oh I should've known. To be fair it's been over 15 years since i was Lawn Mower.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

my dad tipped the mower once, lol

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

my dad tipped the mower once, lol

We had Enrique on salary so tipping would be totally inappropriate

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My dad also dropped a tree on our rv once

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://i.imgur.com/ZfnVFi0.gifv

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

^^ How tall is that scaffold? :psyduck:

Phanatic posted:

Asbestos was never illegal, as a blanket statement. It's illegal in a number of applications, the legality of those applications is not being reconsidered, and it will continue to be illegal in those applications. The government will consider applications for new uses on a case-by-case basis.

Here is the list of what asbestos is and is not banned in:

https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/us-federal-bans-asbestos#banned

Legal asbestos uses:

Now Canada just very recently closed its last asbestos mine. Now while I can understand using it in certain applications safely (like for example a chemistry lab where everyone knows how to protect themselves), is all asbestos regardless of what it is in or its composition the lung-shredding carcinogen I think it is?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There are a few types of asbestos, I'm not clear on the actual differences, but I'm pretty sure they're all potentially bad because they all can break down into the fiber strands that damage cells.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Jerry Cotton posted:

Illegal how?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EssOEss posted:

Illegal how?

The lawnmower in the gif appears to have had its dead man's switch removed which I'm guessing is illegal in Finland and many other places.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

is all asbestos regardless of what it is in or its composition the lung-shredding carcinogen I think it is?

Short answer yes, with an "if," long answer no with a "but."

There are a number of different asbestos minerals. Chrysotile is unique in having curly/twisty fibers, the fibers from the other forms are little needles. They are vary in how friable they are. Chrysotile is probably *less* carcinogenic than the other forms, but it's still most definitely a human carcinogen.

As has been pointed out upthread, it's possible to incorporate asbestos in a form which is about as safe as houses in normal use. Vinyl asbestos floor tiles, for example, isn't going to do anything on its own. It's non-friable, all the asbestos is encased in vinyl, it's not shedding fibers into the air you breathe. The issue isn't the product itself sitting there on your floor, the issue is in the production of it, if you start cutting it with a saw, disposing of it safely, etc.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phanatic posted:

The issue isn't the product itself sitting there on your floor, the issue is in the production of it, if you start cutting it with a saw, disposing of it safely, etc.

Or having shoveling competitions with it!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

haveblue posted:

The lawnmower in the gif appears to have had its dead man's switch removed which I'm guessing is illegal in Finland and many other places.

the last time finnish laws came up jerry cotton told us that in finland it's illegal to fight back against someone who's attacking you (because you could run away instead) so i bet it's something even dumber, like lawnmowers may not be operated on more than a 10 degree incline

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Raw asbestos isn't supposed to be dangerous (as dangerous?) As when its refined I thought.

Those guys are all calling some daytime TV numbers though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Raw asbestos isn't supposed to be dangerous (as dangerous?) As when its refined I thought.

they're all very dead

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bombadilillo posted:

It's more that asbestos embedded into a binding material is acceptable but pure loose asbestos is extremely bad. So yes, all those people are very, very dead.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I honestly don't know what provokes more of a reaction from me. That, or this:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Ak Gara posted:

the soldiers are probably in less danger than the asbestos miners tbh

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Ak Gara posted:

Given the choice i'd take the nuke any day. You get to call yourself an atomic veteran and if you do get cancer you can say it's because you were nuked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, the exposure from the nuke, provided you don't breathe the fallout, is extremely survivable.

But that asbestos....

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

EssOEss posted:

Illegal how?

Continuing to operate the blade without ongoing pressure from a human on a deadman switch of some type, I'm guessing.

e;f,b.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Ak Gara posted:

While Chernobyl 2's Chad core might have had many tens of tons of fuel, efficiently converted to fission / activation products being rained down on the employees, that Virgin bomb was less than 100 kg, hastily fizzed to maybe a fifth of the burn-up. Wandering through those nuclear weapons tests was almost never putting the soldiers into the realm of deterministic effects.

Totally taking the mushroom cloud here.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

So how dangerous is brake powder, and why havent all brake techs died from cancer already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

JB50 posted:

So how dangerous is brake powder, and why havent all brake techs died from cancer already?

Most Brake Pads no longer use Asbestos, and have been replaced with fairly harmless compounds.

But don't snort it by any means.