Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlyFrog posted:

I have two kids, but I am totally rocking it for them. One good thing is that they are both teenagers, so at least the basic process of divorce is not completely baffling to them - it is not as bad as trying to explain to a six year old why mommy and daddy will not be together anymore. Quite frankly, I think I'm doing a great job with them, and I have done my utmost to try to be as positive and comforting for them as possible. It kind of sucks, because there is an element of being with them that reminds me of my ex-wife and better times. But that is not their problem, so I suck it up and chin up in their presence.
This right here is really awesome in and of itself. Give yourself some credit for that.

ActusRhesus posted:

Also...play dragon age and you have THREE romance options, all of whom are better than your ex.

Soothing Vapors, have you gotten into Josephine's pants yet?

I keep rerolling b/c my eyelashes were one millimeter off, so she wont give it up. Josie dont mess with no level 7 dwarf scrubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

This right here is really awesome in and of itself. Give yourself some credit for that.

I keep rerolling b/c my eyelashes were one millimeter off, so she wont give it up. Josie dont mess with no level 7 dwarf scrubs

cullen was surprisingly easy to nail.

Hi. I'm a girl. Let's screw.

Art imitates life.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I got dragon age yesterday and haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but you people are making it sound like I was talked into buying a japanese dating simulator.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

SlyFrog posted:

I am trying to break my typical self-berating habits and have some self-compassion about timing, healing, set-backs that will naturally occur in the process, etc., instead of mentally beating the poo poo out of myself. I think that I am doing fairly well with that.

I just know that I am introverted, and I do have to be careful not to hole up for too long like a hermit.

It is not like I went from being a social butterfly to a man crippled by an unexpected divorce, who is just out of the game for awhile while he heals emotionally. I know that theoretically I need to use this as an opportunity to find out how to make myself happy. It is just that even that creates a pressure, because for Goony fucks like me, it is hard to know what is acceptable "sitting at home licking your wounds" behavior, and what is, "My god, get the gently caress out of your house, you loser," behavior.

I solved this problem by marrying someone almost as geeky as myself so I can attest they do exist and all you have to do when you're ready to date is pretend not to be a goon long enough to randomly run into one

also, I may as well ask if anyone plays hearthstone because if this thread is about vidya games let's at least talk about some things us introverts can play with two people involved

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I got dragon age yesterday and haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but you people are making it sound like I was talked into buying a japanese dating simulator.

Yep, that's a pretty apt description. Japanese dating simulator crossed with Deer Ram Hunter 2014. I'm having a devil of a time getting into Cassandra's pants because my wife told me that she's a better prospect than Josephine even though I want to support the mages.

Also, Slyfrog, one thing I've done is hang out with geeky people who have similar interests but occasionally want in-person human contact. Thus, a D&D group was born. Or getting people together to play Settlers/Seven Wonders/board game of choice. Depending on the friends the kids can join as well.

Adar, I follow your posts in the Arena thread but don't post because I'm terrible at the game by comparison. I average 5-7 wins per Arena, not the 12 you seem to be able to pull off.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Adar posted:

also, I may as well ask if anyone plays hearthstone because if this thread is about vidya games let's at least talk about some things us introverts can play with two people involved

I played hearthstone for a while but got bored ebcause it sucks and is awful. hope this Helps

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I played hearthstone for a while but got bored ebcause it sucks and is awful. hope this Helps

How do you explain the fact that you play Marvel Heroes, given this post?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

That's outside the scope of the 30(b)(6) notice, counselor, and frankly I'm a bit peeved you'd even "go there." One more question like that and I'm taking my client out of here. Oh, you'll call the magistrate? That's fine. I put him on speed dial before we started, because I was expecting this from you. Would you like me to dial him now?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

mikeraskol posted:

I play both these bad games and I reupped to wow a couple weeks ago. My main problem is these are stymieing my binding of Isaac progress.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Its all good guys. I play Dota. So I come home from work angry and get even angrier through my leisure activity.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I play eve online so that when I have a bad day I can make someone else's even worse.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i stole $1200 of zydrine from goonfleet and nobody noticed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

yes, well, that was probably in the remedial days where your theft was a rounding error compared to the other thefts/incompetence

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I never joined goonfleet on my main, so instead I scammed goons for some ridiculous amount of isk by selling bookmarks that were such obvious, lazy fakes that I didn't even feel bad about it. God I miss Eve

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I haven't had time to play a vidya since I started drawing again. I wonder if I get a chip or something, AA-style

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

yes, well, that was probably in the remedial days where your theft was a rounding error compared to the other thefts/incompetence

p much

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I'm on my second titan, having gloriously lost the first in the 75 dead titan pileup of 2013, and have logged in twice in the past two years because eve is a bad game. Hope this helps

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

Its all good guys. I play Dota. So I come home from work angry and get even angrier through my leisure activity.

I mostly just follow the league competitive scene at this point but I played a few games this week to get a feel for the new map because I'm going to iem San Jose this weekend. I splurged on the expensive seats and am super excited!

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Oh, hey, computer games?

I'm finally getting my desktop fixed after way too long, and will be joining the Guild Wars 2 party suuuuuper late within the week. Any of you jokers play that?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I played a lot of hearth stone until I realized I was way bad at it. I'm hopeful it will come out for android.

Just googled it, apparently in the new year! Just in time for my daily 2 hour bus commute.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 1, 2014

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

I have two kids, but I am totally rocking it for them. One good thing is that they are both teenagers, so at least the basic process of divorce is not completely baffling to them - it is not as bad as trying to explain to a six year old why mommy and daddy will not be together anymore. Quite frankly, I think I'm doing a great job with them, and I have done my utmost to try to be as positive and comforting for them as possible. It kind of sucks, because there is an element of being with them that reminds me of my ex-wife and better times. But that is not their problem, so I suck it up and chin up in their presence.

I mean, I had them over to watch the Packers game yesterday - how much better can life be than that?

Anyway, I will try to not turn this into my personal E/N thread now. Thank you for being there and being kind, fellow LawGoons.

This sucks (your divorce, not the what sounds like a pretty chill way of handling it with your kids), and I'm sorry to hear that it happened. I have absolutely no advice on how to get through the divorce/post-divorce emotional & social morass specifically.

That said, I would recommend turning to exercise as a general strategy to build a healthier, more positive outlook on life. Hey wow that sentence really makes me sound like a tool, but I don't care, because it's worked for me. I graduated LS about 40 pounds fatter than when I entered it, hated my self image, and was on the steady diet of "avoid doing things because don't look at me." I've spent the last year dropping that added weight plus some, in addition to building these crazy things called muscles that I never thought my goon self would ever get. I feel better, look better, etc., etc., etc. And So Can You (tm)!

So if you're afraid of video gaming too much, get your rear end to the gym. Start out with a personal trainer for a few days a week if you really need that kick in the pants to get you to start going or if you need someone to show you just what the hell you should be doing. Also, if you start working out on the reg, you'll start seeing the same other people who also work out when you do. They will likely be attractive. You will be single and getting attractive. The pieces fall together pretty easily.

Good luck with whatever you do (play video games too).

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What ever happened to the days when the lawyer thread was full of people playing Paradox games?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

cullen was surprisingly easy to nail.

Hi. I'm a girl. Let's screw.

Art imitates life.

blackwall is basically the same btw, im not even nice to the dude and he's still thirsty as gently caress

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Soothing Vapors posted:

blackwall is basically the same btw, im not even nice to the dude and he's still thirsty as gently caress

Look he's invested in saving the loving world, not the non-loving world.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soylent Pudding posted:

What ever happened to the days when the lawyer thread was full of people playing Paradox games?

i don't know, i don't read cuneiform

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I doubt anyone here will be able to advise you as to the particularities of your judge, clerk, etc. I'm not sure what a "private attorney" is but from your description I assume it's a layperson appearing pro se.

I don't need advice on that, except when I decide to spend a morning haranguing abugadu--which I probably do too often but without that cover our judge would likely declare I have gone rogue and release the Necron Raiders. But we don't still vent about court bullshit ITT?

As for pro se vs. private practice, I do think the guy in question runs his office out of his car. It's one of the little ways I remind myself life can always get worse, and I thank the heavens for the nigh-impenetrable civil service protections attached to my current position (one that I am trying to leave).

Changing topic to be less of a buzzkill, I would love to play videogames, sadly Mass Effect 3 sits unopened on my counter. Wait, that's being more of a buzzkill.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Green Crayons posted:

This sucks (your divorce, not the what sounds like a pretty chill way of handling it with your kids), and I'm sorry to hear that it happened. I have absolutely no advice on how to get through the divorce/post-divorce emotional & social morass specifically.

That said, I would recommend turning to exercise as a general strategy to build a healthier, more positive outlook on life. Hey wow that sentence really makes me sound like a tool, but I don't care, because it's worked for me. I graduated LS about 40 pounds fatter than when I entered it, hated my self image, and was on the steady diet of "avoid doing things because don't look at me." I've spent the last year dropping that added weight plus some, in addition to building these crazy things called muscles that I never thought my goon self would ever get. I feel better, look better, etc., etc., etc. And So Can You (tm)!

So if you're afraid of video gaming too much, get your rear end to the gym. Start out with a personal trainer for a few days a week if you really need that kick in the pants to get you to start going or if you need someone to show you just what the hell you should be doing. Also, if you start working out on the reg, you'll start seeing the same other people who also work out when you do. They will likely be attractive. You will be single and getting attractive. The pieces fall together pretty easily.

Good luck with whatever you do (play video games too).

Yes, I can only do so much in the body image department, for reasons I won't go into (as mentioned, I won't turn this into the E/N forum).

Yes, I need to exercise. I've been walking (fairly fast walking - around 2 to 2.5 miles in 30 minutes) on the treadmill at least every other day (often daily). Fortunately, I solved the common Goon weight problem many years ago through better calorie management. I'm now 6'2" and fluctuate between 180-185 lbs (and have for the last 15+ years). So I'm okay there. I need a more muscular body type and a less doughy "skinny-fat" body type, but I am at least grateful that I don't have 40-50 lbs to lose or something like that.

That does not resolve those other body related issues, but I do not think they can ever be fully resolved.

Also, I do not have my computer right now (and will not for another month at least). So I am subject to the double indignity of not being able to fully delve into the latest expansion for Europa Universalis IV (whatever the hell it is). Divorce is a bitter mistress.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Ditch cardio focus, lift weights or do body weight exercises (you'll get cardio), intimidate opposing counsel, see your enemies be driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women, be awesome.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I didn't set an auto out of office for my week long vacation. I answered every email while on vacation. My boss didn't know I was gone.

I wonder if I go back and bill it, will hr give me back my vacation hours?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I think a 1-2 week video game binge period is normal, there is time after that to consider some hobby or whatever you would enjoy. A lot of guys in your position seem to take up home brewing, but the possibilities are endless.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Yes, I need to exercise. I've been walking (fairly fast walking - around 2 to 2.5 miles in 30 minutes) on the treadmill at least every other day (often daily). Fortunately, I solved the common Goon weight problem many years ago through better calorie management. I'm now 6'2" and fluctuate between 180-185 lbs (and have for the last 15+ years). So I'm okay there. I need a more muscular body type and a less doughy "skinny-fat" body type, but I am at least grateful that I don't have 40-50 lbs to lose or something like that.
Gonna second GC here -- the times I have felt best about this miserable flabby husk are those times where I've been really dedicated to weightlifting. Walking is good and don't stop by any means but work some lifting in and the results will be magical.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I didn't set an auto out of office for my week long vacation. I answered every email while on vacation. My boss didn't know I was gone.
But why would you do this? if you don't commit to taking some time off no one's going to do it for you, and you'll wind up snapping and murdering your secretary

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If I reply to emails on vacation I bill for it, and reduce the number of hours I billed as 'vacation' accordingly. That said I am not convinced my firm even tracks vacation: I figure they only look at the billables and if the people you worked for complained about you and only bother to look at your vacation hours if you didn't meet your billables or they want some other reason to tell you you should probably have a new job by the time your next review rolls around.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 1, 2014

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Gonna second GC here -- the times I have felt best about this miserable flabby husk are those times where I've been really dedicated to weightlifting. Walking is good and don't stop by any means but work some lifting in and the results will be magical.

Yes, I should do this. I admit that I'm the typical guy who is chagrined at weightlifting, because I feel like I will: (a) look like an idiot, because I have no idea what I'm doing; and (b) injure myself, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I figured I could start with something like the Stronglifts 5x5 (http://stronglifts.com/5x5/). Because it starts off with weights so low, I figure that I can work into and not accidentally kill myself by dropping a bar on my chest (I'll save that until later).

Much like I won't turn this into an E/N, I promise that I will also take any substantive weightlifting discussion to the fitness forums.

EDIT: Also holy gently caress reading/learning how to properly lift weights is apparently as bad as learning the 33 Act. I think I just skimmed 80 pages on how to do a squat. If it actually is not one question too many, if I wanted to start weightlifting, how could I (as a doughy guy who might not be able to lift just the bar) get started intelligently without spending 8 weeks planning and learning about it? If I'm going to do this, it is something where I just want to get started, and avoid my usual paralysis of reading about it until I get sick of even thinking about doing it. I just want to start doing it with fairly minimal thought and planning, but without permanently blowing out my back or something.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Stronglifts is good. The book starting strength or a personal trainer can help you not kill yourself and develop a plan etc.

Also, if you go over to ylls there is a ton of info about getting started. I'm down 20 pounds, back to what I weighed 12 years ago in high school, ran a couple 5ks, and recently moved into lead climbing. Feel great, look good, be happy.

Everyone feels awkward initially. Everyone was once the new guy struggling with the bar. Yes the first time will be painful because of DOMS, but the solution to all these problems is to go back a second time, then a third, then a fourth....

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

evilweasel posted:

If I reply to emails on vacation I bill for it, and reduce the number of hours I billed as 'vacation' accordingly. That said I am not convinced my firm even tracks vacation: I figure they only look at the billables and if the people you worked for complained about you and only bother to look at your vacation hours if you didn't meet your billables or they want some other reason to tell you you should probably have a new job by the time your next review rolls around.

Yep. My old firm it was all about the billable and project completion. If you met your billables and nobody got mad because of missed deadlines/projects then it just didn't matter how much vacation you took.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
It's that time of the year when exam study triggers insanity in law students, so one of my fellow students here in Canada came up with this great maxim for studying property:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

If I reply to emails on vacation I bill for it, and reduce the number of hours I billed as 'vacation' accordingly.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

SlyFrog posted:

EDIT: Also holy gently caress reading/learning how to properly lift weights is apparently as bad as learning the 33 Act. I think I just skimmed 80 pages on how to do a squat. If it actually is not one question too many, if I wanted to start weightlifting, how could I (as a doughy guy who might not be able to lift just the bar) get started intelligently without spending 8 weeks planning and learning about it?

1) Buy this book
2) Hire this guy

in that order. The book (and YouTube videos / wiki) will teach you proper form for the only lifts you need. If you want some additional counsel, the guy will give you a 12 week diet + exercise plan for an extremely reasonable price, and if you stick to it reasonably well you will have excellent results. If you have the means to hire a local person to coach you through the big lifts that Andy prescribes, so much the better, but honestly the book gives you all the heuristics you need.

I'd been loving around for a year or two with various ways of eating and exercising and made a bit of progress, but between that book + dude I dropped a ton of fat and got all my lifts up to very respectable levels. If you're looking for something to throw some time into, then do this. I will also say that, as someone who went through some hard times (though not as tough as yours) emotionally over the past year or so, I can say that lifting heavy weights, 3-4 days a week, was the single most effective thing I did to make my brain feel better.

& +1 to what Meatbag said about not feeling self-conscious in the gym. Yes, it's easier said then done, but you have to remember that sucking at something is the first step at being kind of good at something. I went from never having done barbell lifts to being respectably strong in a few weeks of just doing it, and It Owns.

You got this, dude.

Petey fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 2, 2014

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If we bill more than 3 or 3.5 hours in a day, we don't need to take a vacation day. It's pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Newfie posted:

It's that time of the year when exam study triggers insanity in law students, so one of my fellow students here in Canada came up with this great maxim for studying property:

I've been playing video games mostly instead of studying. I've got a test tomorrow, but it's mostly over economics and game theory and I have a BS in eco. So many people stressing the gently caress out, though.