Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pesky Splinter posted:

He's trying to protect you:

Did you take the time to make this after that post or did it already exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

Did you take the time to make this after that post or did it already exist?

Bout five mins. I'm bored. :v:

[e]: Thanks
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 13, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not very complicated I can see that, I just think it's funny.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I got Lightning Returns for my birthday. Oh boy this new combat system...

this may take me a while.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Just beat FFXIII. The game dragged pretty badly at some points. A lot of times I had to go back to the datalog>Events because I lost interest in some of the dialogue and felt like I was missing a few points.

The ending was good. It made me forgive a lot of the shortcomings with just the tone of it all. The music (in general actually) was excellent and was my favorite part of the game.

I have absolutely no desire to play the endgame when right before the last boss I wanted to. The only reason I'd do it is for trophies...which would be kind of sad. I think part of the reason is I am downloading the sequel already. I did read a few posts stating the end game is more fun. I don't take that as a knock against the main game, just bummed out I lost all motivation to complete the content and would rather move to the next one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Just beat FFXIII. The game dragged pretty badly at some points. A lot of times I had to go back to the datalog>Events because I lost interest in some of the dialogue and felt like I was missing a few points.

The ending was good. It made me forgive a lot of the shortcomings with just the tone of it all. The music (in general actually) was excellent and was my favorite part of the game.

I have absolutely no desire to play the endgame when right before the last boss I wanted to. The only reason I'd do it is for trophies...which would be kind of sad. I think part of the reason is I am downloading the sequel already. I did read a few posts stating the end game is more fun. I don't take that as a knock against the main game, just bummed out I lost all motivation to complete the content and would rather move to the next one.

The end game, even when abusing the thing that gives you double cash/double XP is a tedious, tedious grind. Fights are semi-interesting but honestly the whole ordeal isn't worth it and it all culminates in fighting a super-boss who is a palette swap of an enemy you've been beating up for hours upon hours at that point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
nah the real end-post-game for 13 is grinding turtles. forever.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Just beat FFXIII. [...]

The ending was good.

d-do you mean you actually finally finishing it or the actual ending itself

because "surprise! deus ex machina saves the day! you wasted your entire time!" is a v bad ending

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Playing through PC version and after 5 chapters its still not that bad. It's certainly not great, but I'll throw out "potentially good" here with a few comments:

- Graphics upgrade is a must (gedasato, nvidia inspector, etc...)
- Japanese language is desirable as English voice direction sucks so if you don't have any Japanese knowledge its probably not a good choice since ... subs kind of suck too
- Corridors, i.e. levels are not well designed. I probably didn't even have to use a mini map if I didn't want to so far
- Hope is one of the worst characters in RPGs that I've seen. Not quite to P3's Ken levels but close.
- Lighting is turning out dumb and crazy and here I thought Snow was the dumb one
- Vanille is growing on me but even her Japanese voice is annoying
- Sazh is awesome and is the only great character so far
- Battle system is actually fun if you play on Normal and use the options. I died a few times when I did not keep up on the paradigm shifts and left poo poo on auto (syn and medics are terrible on auto). Getting 5 stars in some of the fights is not easy and have to do the ATB shift every couple turns

Edit: I got to say that I am confused a bit on comments that I've seen everywhere talking about that you can just press A to win. At least on Normal setting its certainly bound to get you killed even in a lot of non-boss fights.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm on chapter 8 or whatever the giant airship is where you fight robo Pope. There is some sloppy lip flaps that go all wild when you have Japanese on. I'm guessing they didn't bother changing the non-CG ones.

I'm starting to like everyone, even Hope but that's all to the japanese. I checked back on the english, and I think a lot of my post-Hope/Snow hate is from the guy still being bad at emoting.

The double-triple fakeout with Sazh's death which is not dead because he was knocked out by the lady was...loving dumb. Like, what the gently caress was the point of that.

Holy gently caress, they seriously still don't let you even switch out party members 20 hours in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Holy gently caress, they seriously still don't let you even switch out party members 20 hours in.

At Chapter 9 you get party control so once you beat up robo-pope all that delicious delicious basic gameplay is yours.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked the final dungeon, mostly because the music and level design reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

oblomov posted:

Edit: I got to say that I am confused a bit on comments that I've seen everywhere talking about that you can just press A to win. At least on Normal setting its certainly bound to get you killed even in a lot of non-boss fights.

That's the claim people make about FF games they haven't really played much of. XIII is a bad game, but the combat could be enjoyable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked the final dungeon, mostly because the music and level design reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Long and boring?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

oblomov posted:

People like finding things to complain about with XIII and ignore the fact that this is how most of Final Fantasy has worked once you're strong enough. honestly, it's not even a valid criticism, because you *can* win some of the fights just by pressing x, but if you're not using the paradigm changes, you're probably doing it horribly wrong. the real problem with the battle system is the lack of enemy variety, therefore leading you to employ the same strategies over and over. I still thought it was fun, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Long and boring?

I was thinking meandering and leading into multiple un-satisfying sequels who keep trying to shake up the formula?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

2010 was great though, arguably better than 2001.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fister Roboto posted:

2010 was great though, arguably better than 2001.

Jesus.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
American Psycho 2 is better than the first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So is there a point in the game when upgrading weapons is actually needed, because I'm running around with basic stuff and still on robo pope's airship.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hace posted:

Jesus.

Seriously 2001 bored the poo poo out of me.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Pesky Splinter posted:

He's trying to protect you:

I kind of want some version of that as my av, that's great.

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's a stick of dynamite, I like the idea of the lotr movies but they're one of the most reliable ways for me to fall asleep. Soooooo loooooooonng

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fister Roboto posted:

:911:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What's with the mega spoilers? The ending and a character death have been mentioned on this very page.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Beef Waifu posted:

American Psycho 2 is better than the first.

The fact that you aren't joking about this existing is a bigger horror than the popularity of the XIII series. Nah, I'm joking the XIII series isn't that bad.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ragequit posted:

What's with the mega spoilers? The ending and a character death have been mentioned on this very page.

if you mean ff13 spoilers; it's a 5 year old bad videogame. chill.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
How restrictive is 13 compared to 10? Because that was the last FF I played and I still enjoyed it despite the linear nature of it all. I remember most of the areas were basically walking in a line between point A to point B. Maybe with a short branching path that ends in a treasure chest containing 2 ethers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

How restrictive is 13 compared to 10? Because that was the last FF I played and I still enjoyed it despite the linear nature of it all. I remember most of the areas were basically walking in a line between point A to point B. Maybe with a short branching path that ends in a treasure chest containing 2 ethers.

About as linear but you never get to stop anywhere along the way till much later in the game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ragequit posted:

It's been out for five years, had two games since, and it's easy to forget that some people are only now just experiencing it. Besides, you won't have any understanding of the ending (as they want you to understand it), unless told before hand.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

XIII is more restrictive; no backtracking, and it's very very linear with no attempts to disguise it like X did (with towns, NPCs, mini-games, et al).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 13, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

13 is more restrictive. you can never backtrack and revisit previous areas for example.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

It is literally 20 hours before you get to even have the ability to switch party members.

Or even have a consistent 3 man party.

FFX is basically a sandbox game in comparison.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Here's a stick of dynamite, I like the idea of the lotr movies but they're one of the most reliable ways for me to fall asleep. Soooooo loooooooonng

How to watch the Lord of the Rings movies:

1) Get all three extended editions.
2) Pretend it's a season of a TV show called Lord of the Rings.
3) Watch in hour long intervals.

Still shorter than a season of Game of Thrones.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played FFX HD earlier this year and it actually masks the linearity really well. For the most part you are going forward in a straight line but it's very easy to forget that, plus you actually CAN go back if you want to and there's different dialogue, sidequests that open up etc.

Like imagine an FFX road, say Miihen. There are NPCs walking around, you can talk to them. You get into fights with monsters. There's an inn you can stay at, there are people to interact with at the inn. There's chocobos running by and it turns out you can rent one too. Staying at the inn has a cutscene. This is a road in between 2 locations, one of them being a massive town with a lot to find.

That one road in FFX is more interesting than any single area in FF13. It's basically a very long Miihen highroad, forever, with less stuff to do.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tae posted:

So is there a point in the game when upgrading weapons is actually needed, because I'm running around with basic stuff and still on robo pope's airship.

You can beat the game without ever having to upgrade your weapons at all, you'll do enough damage once you stagger any monster you come across.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Krad posted:

You can beat the game without ever having to upgrade your weapons at all, you'll do enough damage once you stagger any monster you come across.

That said, it's worth it to have the weapons with good passives, like better healing/debuffs/etc.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Ahh man I hope I didn't end up in some ugly dead end in FF13.

I saved right by where you start Vanille's eidolon fight, I almost got the fight down but Vanille is abit squishy and sometimes dies to the boss combos. And I can't quite backtrack to grind abit more CP since theres a lone rust pudding and the drat boxed phalanx which I can't kill without using a summon(No TP atm).

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Final Fantasy XIII: Hope was the first step on the road to disappointment.

The mod's are going to be great, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hecatoncheir is generally the most annoying Eidolon fight anyway, keep trucking on.

If Fang has some Ravager abilities, that'd help, but it's not necessary to beat him. Also Conchy uses his attacks in a predictable pattern, so you can have Fang use Sentinel when he's about to start to let her take the brunt of the damage.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

oblomov posted:

Playing through PC version and after 5 chapters its still not that bad. It's certainly not great, but I'll throw out "potentially good" here with a few comments:

- Graphics upgrade is a must (gedasato, nvidia inspector, etc...)
- Japanese language is desirable as English voice direction sucks so if you don't have any Japanese knowledge its probably not a good choice since ... subs kind of suck too
- Corridors, i.e. levels are not well designed. I probably didn't even have to use a mini map if I didn't want to so far
- Hope is one of the worst characters in RPGs that I've seen. Not quite to P3's Ken levels but close.
- Lighting is turning out dumb and crazy and here I thought Snow was the dumb one
- Vanille is growing on me but even her Japanese voice is annoying
- Sazh is awesome and is the only great character so far
- Battle system is actually fun if you play on Normal and use the options. I died a few times when I did not keep up on the paradigm shifts and left poo poo on auto (syn and medics are terrible on auto). Getting 5 stars in some of the fights is not easy and have to do the ATB shift every couple turns

I quoting this post because it reflects my feelings exactly. This is my 2nd playthrough though and the first time I played on Easy. I have no idea how people were surviving by just selecting auto battle constantly and you can completely forget about regularly getting 5 stars.

I have not done any graphics mods yet though. I don't like the idea of seeing graphical glitches which I have heard exist if I use Gedasato, but how bad are they really?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've been thinking a bit on the pseudo-announcement of the FFXV beta. I'm wondering, was it announced because they actually think they're at a point where they can produce a beta, or did S-E higher up put their foot down and tell the team "you need to produce results by this [insert date]" so they might be trying to rush to the beta build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Attitude Indicator posted:

if you mean ff13 spoilers; it's a 5 year old bad videogame. chill.

It did come out five years ago, but it came out like five days ago for anyone who didn't have a PS3 or 360. I understand where he's coming from.