Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm scared to death of 4X games. I heard Civ5 complete is a great "babby's first 4X" game, but I've heard so many good things about Endless Legend that I'm considering just holding out until it goes on sale again (altough it's 17.50 right now on a few places).

Are they different enough to guarantee having both games, or should I just get the better of the two?

Get Civ5. The tutorial is great there and it's really accessible. Not saying EL isn't, but the tutorial isn't quite as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm scared to death of 4X games. I heard Civ5 complete is a great "babby's first 4X" game, but I've heard so many good things about Endless Legend that I'm considering just holding out until it goes on sale again (altough it's 17.50 right now on a few places).

Are they different enough to guarantee having both games, or should I just get the better of the two?

Civ5 is still pretty confusing upfront, it just has less UI poo poo to deal with. If you actually just get base Civ5 it's probably easier to grasp then Civ5 complete ( since you won't have to deal with research/spies/picking a culture path ).

Endless Legend has a campaign mode which outright tells you what to build towards which is nice for newer players. It's also very upfront about what everything does and why you'd want it.

Endless Space lacks the campaign, but it's the barebones essentials of what one needs to play a 4X, making it a pretty decent primer as well.

Fallen Enchantress Fallen Heroes is also pretty decent if you use the campaign. It slowly ramps up from just commanding heroes and leveling them up, to commanding heroes and armies, to having a small town that can only build so much stuff, to having a larger town, etc. Bit boring since it takes more then a little while to reach the "fun" parts, but a great way to learn what you should be doing in a 4x game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For what it's worth, the ending of Wolfenstein: The New Order completely justifies its difficulty in the end game. You're pretty much single-handedly assaulting the most fortified structure on Earth (possibly) and nearly 20 years of Nazi technology advances.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Downs Duck posted:

I haven't played it myself, and I guess it's a balancing issue for most, but isn't that better than the opposite? Not singling you out or anything, but aren't there just as many complaints about today's games being too easy?
It's the bullet-spongey kind of hard, not the "play smarter" kind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Downs Duck posted:

I haven't played it myself, and I guess it's a balancing issue for most, but isn't that better than the opposite? Not singling you out or anything, but aren't there just as many complaints about today's games being too easy?

There are 5 difficulty settings in the game and normal is the 2nd one up, so no it definitely isn't in this case. I would prefer it to be too easy so I could go up instead of it being too hard at a time when I can't go down.

edit: see also the above

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 18, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Downs Duck posted:

The last boss was killing me in around 5 seconds, and any cover I tried to use got destroyed. Like the others said, it was just annoying, not something I could consciously improve on. I thought the rest of the game was balance pretty perfectly.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Alright guys, those are reasonable points about the difficulty. Rest of the game is great I hear, so still gonna get it some day.

vvv I won't, and thanks again. vvv

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 18, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is an incredibly good game, but do not be like me and expect super future power armor Nazis to go down as easily as the slightly less futuristic power armor Nazis.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ImPureAwesome posted:

If you login to marvel heroes today you get a free random hero box

Thanks for the reminder, I got deadpool :toot:

I might start playing that again.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks for the 4X suggestions, I'll see if I can grab some demos before making a decision; I know civ5 has one but I'm not sure about EL.
If it doesn't, I may watch some videos on YouTube or something.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

I got Rocket Raccoon. He starts with the ability to summon Groot.

I already had a Festive Groot team-up character from their Christmas giveaway.

I feel I am doing this right.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks for the 4X suggestions, I'll see if I can grab some demos before making a decision; I know civ5 has one but I'm not sure about EL.
If it doesn't, I may watch some videos on YouTube or something.

I love Endless Legend but I'd certainly recommend Civ5 as the best 4x game for beginners. The tutorial is much better, as well as your advisers are present to give tips. It's also is much easier to follow since it follows our historical context, for the tech tree and unit construction compared to EL. It's easier to understand researching "Rifling" as a tech rather than something like "Isolation Sciences". The only area I felt that Civ5 was a little more complex is city location and management, how many you should build and such.

Plus Civ5 is on sale this weekend.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think Endless Legend is pretty easy to cut your teeth on. The biggest issue is probably understanding proper city layout, because they don't explain that poo poo at all. I'm pretty sure everyone's first games have their cities snaking around like crazy trying to grab all the anomalies until they become chronically unhappy with no easy way to fix it.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

ImPureAwesome posted:

I've got like 11 more people than last time I logged in, did they make all the starter heroes freely available or something?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ehh, I made it out of the tutorial mission but playing a little further, I guess I don't really need it. The classes don't feel that different and at least in Vanilla, my starting position is never flanked by three alien spawn points on Normal.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I've got like 11 more people than last time I logged in, did they make all the starter heroes freely available or something?

You can play a bunch of them up to level 10 now or something. Still have to buy them to get them past that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Pews posted:

I love Endless Legend but I'd certainly recommend Civ5 as the best 4x game for beginners. The tutorial is much better, as well as your advisers are present to give tips. It's also is much easier to follow since it follows our historical context, for the tech tree and unit construction compared to EL. It's easier to understand researching "Rifling" as a tech rather than something like "Isolation Sciences". The only area I felt that Civ5 was a little more complex is city location and management, how many you should build and such.

Plus Civ5 is on sale this weekend.
Yeah, I saw it, then remembered the EL praise from the christmas sale and came here to let the Internet make decisions for me. :v:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Wolfenstein TNO never ever gets difficult when you use the laser miniguns dropped by enemies and when you realize that those miniguns are rechargeable at the Laserkraftwerk recharging stations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just adding this in here, but I've got a competition going for a free copy of Wasteland 2.

All you need to do is whip together a drawing of an absurd skillcheck you might find in an oldschool RPG and post it in this link. Winner will get chosen next Friday and get their key.

Easy $40 game for those that want it!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Another thing about Wolfenstein is that one path (iirc) increases your maximum armor but the other one just makes health recovery items give you more health, so if you choose the path with the armor it will probably be easier. I certainly wouldn't consider myself to be great at FPS games but I got through normal no problem. You can also start your "other path" playthrough before you finish the game (just replay the first mission) and go through the levels again and get to the last level with both bonuses. Also on that note, earning your perks makes a huge difference; by the end of the game the only ones I didn't have were the grenade ones.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

mr. nobody posted:

They'd rather be playing video games than putting together a computer. Not everybody is good at or isn't filled with anxiety at the thought of being 100% responsible (edit: ok not 100%, parts can fail) for their computer turning on for the first time. Doesn't seem fair to look down on preferring one over the other.

I built my own computer too. Every time I upgrade, I still get that anxiety of "Will this work?" I was also just shitposting. It's what I do :buddy:

Also, everyone play Wolfenstein TNO.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got around to playing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and wow it's a lot of fun having the physics engine take so large a part in combat. I'm going into magic just so I can have telekinesis and toss barrels at people when I'm low on stamina from kicking them all the time. :v:

The rest is pretty laughable though.

e: What is that constant 'twinkling' sound effect and how do I get it to stop?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 18, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is there a somewhat less randomly written guide to getting started in Shadowrun Returns? All the guides basically say "class doesn't matter, race barely matters, put all your points in one thing" and I'm like uhhh?

I just beat FF8 so maybe I have mild brain damage though

Wamdoodle posted:

I built my own computer too. Every time I upgrade, I still get that anxiety of "Will this work?"
Man I stopped getting that feeling, but I built a computer for a friend this holiday season and that feeling came back threefold.

Especially since it has gotten so rote it feels like it should take hours long and there should be more plugs and oh god oh god oh god

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's pretty accurate. Specializing is better because you get better abilities and you can hire npcs to fill in your weak spots. Generalist has no value because any time you need a skill to solve a puzzle/area the game will provide you a story npc with it.

The only thing you really have to worry about is combat.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

The only thing you really have to worry about is combat.
Is there a better or worse combat skill or do you just go whichever?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Do I get Gat Out of Hell included in the Game of the Century bundle?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

gypsyshred posted:

Do I get Gat Out of Hell included in the Game of the Century bundle?
No, you don't.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
*uacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition: http://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=aar5B*Rv3h5N2h46

Double Dragon *eon: http://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=YmKdMh*5esm6F82e

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 18, 2015

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

SadisTech posted:

Double Dragon Neon

I got this, thanks!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SadisTech posted:

*uacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition: http://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=aar5B*Rv3h5N2h46

I have always wanted to play Guacamelee so I took this one! Thank you! :sax:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Spiderdrake posted:

Man I stopped getting that feeling, but I built a computer for a friend this holiday season and that feeling came back threefold.

Especially since it has gotten so rote it feels like it should take hours long and there should be more plugs and oh god oh god oh god

:hf:

It's always rough when you build it for someone else because even if they're the parts you would've gotten--or even if they're same the parts you used earlier that year--it's like, drat, I'm not the one taking the financial risk here.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm surprised nobody caught this but...

Humerus posted:

Another thing about Wolfenstein is that one path (iirc) increases your maximum armor but the other one just makes health recovery items give you more health, so if you choose the path with the armor it will probably be easier.

:siren:The exact opposite is true.:siren:

Health upgrades increase your maximum health. Armor upgrades, however, increase how much armor you receive per pickup. Health upgrades increase your maximum health by 10 per pickup (So you can have 110 health after the first upgrade, 150 after 5, etc), and the armor upgrades will grant you +10% extra per item (So an item that gives you 50 armor will give you 75 after 5 armor upgrades, etc).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spiderdrake posted:

Is there a better or worse combat skill or do you just go whichever?
I dunno. I used shotguns and did fine, and the game wasn't really compelling enough for me to play it again with different skills.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any way of getting the community challenge items in ACIV Black Flag now that the community challenges have long passed? I normally wouldn't give a poo poo because the items aren't that great, but being eternally blocked from getting 100% in the game is really loving annoying me.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

BurritoJustice posted:

Is there any way of getting the community challenge items in ACIV Black Flag now that the community challenges have long passed? I normally wouldn't give a poo poo because the items aren't that great, but being eternally blocked from getting 100% in the game is really loving annoying me.

"why don't you just stop being mad it's just a number in a video game :smuggo:"

just wanted to get this unhelpful contrarian bullshit out of the way before someone else spews it.

Also, yeah you might be SoL. I don't think Ubisoft does much game support after release.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I downloaded Marvel Heroes and got Thor Punisher and Dr Strange. Do I win?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I downloaded Marvel Heroes and got Thor Punisher and Dr Strange. Do I win?

Punisher is completely meh, but Thor is fun with big number skills and Dr. Strange has some of flashiest skills in the game.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Punisher's also getting a re-work by the end of the month, so he'll be getting better real soon.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So how is H1Z1? Is it finally the real Day Z to end them all or another crapshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So, I have never played more than like 5 minutes of a Sonic game, not that I was a mario fanboy or anything but it just never happened.
Somebody gave me Sonic Generations and...well I hate it.
The jumping is floaty, you either go too fast (:shepface:) and overshoot your goal or too slow and the game grinds to a halt. the hit detection and constantly changing camera angles keep messing me up.
Is Generations just a somewhat sloppy game, or are all sonic games this...Well I wouldn't say bad...but unsatisfying?

I have yet to null a game in my backlog, but I am close to it. :smith:

• Locked thread