Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

!Klams posted:

I had the best invade at the profaned capital one time. I'd killed the sunbro and then the host was doing basically that, just waiting on the long ladder down from the bonfire. I started hitting him, and he didn't get any good kicks in somehow. So he sort of panicked, and started climbing, and then was waiting for me at the top. I guess the camera angle isn't great though, because he was obviously trying to get in a position where he could twat me as I came up, but couldn't quite work out where that was? So he was jockying back and forth, safe in the knowledge that with the higher ground I could never really get him. But he was also scared to move away from the ladder, because I'd come after him and eat him? (People are always super scared of invaders, which is hilarious to me because I am poo poo.) Eventually, after AGES of me looking like I was about to crest the top and then ducking back down, I baited a swing out of him, and took my chance to finally climb up. He kind of panicked again, which is what I was counting on, so as soon as I got up I rolled forward behind him, as in his panic he just swung at the ladder again without actually locking on. I turned around on the spot and neatly kicked him off. It felt SO satisfying.

Kudos to you for keeping your nerve, I definitely would not have waited around for the coward to get back up the ladder and I DEFINITELY wouldn't have executed that plan so well. Still, the main issue is, every time the host wants to drag the fight out overmuch it's that much simpler for me to invade someone else. I'm here to fight and have fun and get owned goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I want to see an unapologetically bright, garish Souls game, maybe with a sort of Mœbius aestehtic.

Now that they've done their versions of Conan and Cthulhu i want to see From's version of John Carter. Something even more alien, without a specific real-world time or place to lean on.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cobalt60 posted:

How difficult is the platinum trophy? I realized I've been sitting at the end of NG, and I could either goof around or maybe go actually get everything I missed, respec to something practical, and blaze through NG+ and make sure i get all the important stuff.

Is there like a platinum trophy checklist somewhere?

It's not that difficult, NG+ tends to be easymode because you're in endgame gear and enemies don't scale up that much. NG++ is a lot more interesting in that regard. As to a cheat sheet: https://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AttackBacon posted:

I used a Raw Uchigatana for most of my pyro play through. Other good Raw weapons include the Gotthards Twinswords, Corvian Greatknife, and Brigand Twindaggers. Fast weapons are good for Raw + Carthus Flame Arc because it adds flat damage. The two best weapons for a Chaos Infusion are probably the Dark Sword and the Astora's Great Sword, their scaling is out of control. Witch's Locks is extremely good also. Those are all the weapons I've messed around with on my pyro and had good results with. This is for a 40/40 pure pyro with just enough str/dex to meet requirements.

If you wanted to play a more hybrid build I think that the heavy flame weapons are all pretty solid. Stuff like Gargoyle Flamespear, Demon Greataxe, Demon Fists, and Old King's Greathammer. I've heard people getting good results with all of those, I probably left out a couple too. Their stat requirements and weight mean you aren't really going pure caster at that point though.

I look more for fast hitting weapons as you first suggested. When I want big weapons I go big STR and don't mix stuff up. Thanks!

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Is there any way to get a second pyro glove if you start as a pyromancer?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Not that I know of. The only way to get another pyro casting implement is in smouldering lake.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

What weapon should I be gunning for as a pyro?

Currently using a flame broad sword since carthus flame arc doesn't add much damage. I have the sage's crystal rapier which scales with INT but I don't have the stats in STR/DEX to use it.

Currently at Catacombs of Carthus and Cathedral of the Deep.

I used raw -> deep -> dark broadsword to finish ng thru ng++ no problem. :shrug:

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

DatonKallandor posted:

It fucks up at 60, so 30 is better.

There's 2 ladders that gently caress up when you uncap the frame rate, the one leading up from the rat room under the dragon bridge, and the one up to patches near the hidden bonfire in the catacombs. If you slide down either of those you'll fall right through the map, so be aware.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does anyone get really horrible framerates going backwards through some areas? I'm thinking of climbing out of the Catacombs to the Abyss Watchers bonfire, and the Cathedral of the Deep to the Road of Sacrifice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd been wondering why the gently caress the Abyss Watchers built their castle on top of a cool skeleton hangout but then it struck me, oh crap they're watching over the Abyss and what's at the bottom of the catacombs (besides Smoldering Lake I guess)? Wolnir and his slip slide to the Abyss. And the Smoldering Lake. And a convenient unguarded backdoor to Illythril I guess, because gently caress those people from Illythril?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

At the very least, Irithyll (whose name is guaranteed to cause spelling errors) isn't unguarded. Anyone who shows up will have to deal with the wolf-crocodile, and even if they run they can't get in without the Small Doll. That doll is in turn only trusted to a select few, such as to the Deacons of the Deep.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

I'd been wondering why the gently caress the Abyss Watchers built their castle on top of a cool skeleton hangout but then it struck me, oh crap they're watching over the Abyss and what's at the bottom of the catacombs (besides Smoldering Lake I guess)? Wolnir and his slip slide to the Abyss. And the Smoldering Lake. And a convenient unguarded backdoor to Illythril I guess, because gently caress those people from Illythril?

At some point the geography gets all hosed up, and various lands with Lords of Cinder in them start churning'n'converging on Lothric, so it's only a short trip once they climb out of their graves to link the First Flame. It would make sense the Abyss Watchers hung out over Wolnir's kingdom, but it's just as probable that Carthus was some other place entirely that just ended up under them however the hell the spacetime bullshit handwaving works out. Almost certainly that's why the Catacombs connect to Irithyll.

Although gently caress the people from Irithyll, Sulyvahn's a prick

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Must make it pretty poo poo for anyone from the place trying to run an import/export business.

I think DS3 really handled the churning converging lands really goddamn well at the end when you walk out of the shrine and holy gently caress what the poo poo is going on here

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Guillermus posted:

I look more for fast hitting weapons as you first suggested. When I want big weapons I go big STR and don't mix stuff up. Thanks!

I just started a pyro build and I've been having a lot of fun with my chaos Thrall Axe. Drops from those little guys with the axe in the undead settlement. It's a fast hitting axe with Quickstep and super low requirements. That mixed with witches locks and all the best pyromancies has served me well for pve and the little pvp I do. I've noticed it tends to stagger enemies a good amount and I can get off 5-6 hits before I need to roll away. Plus you're a special snowflake. I've yet to see another one.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Octo1 posted:

Is there any way to get a second pyro glove if you start as a pyromancer?

If you've upgraded the one you've got, Cornyx will give you another in ng+.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Now that miracles have been more or less buffed, what would be a good build and weapons for a faith character? Will try it for the heck of it, mainly on PvE.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 13, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Drone Incognito posted:

I just started a pyro build and I've been having a lot of fun with my chaos Thrall Axe. Drops from those little guys with the axe in the undead settlement. It's a fast hitting axe with Quickstep and super low requirements. That mixed with witches locks and all the best pyromancies has served me well for pve and the little pvp I do. I've noticed it tends to stagger enemies a good amount and I can get off 5-6 hits before I need to roll away. Plus you're a special snowflake. I've yet to see another one.

I think the Thrall Axe looks amazing. The range is what concerns me but seems that it uses very little stamina, plus I have already one sitting on my inventory.

Chaos Darksword sounds better than Dark Darksword because it would be a very, very dark weapon :shepface:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cody Banks posted:

Could someone lend me a hand with the Twin Princes? I'm on NG+7 and running out of patience (and embers) here.

I'm lvl 125 on PS4. My handle is LIGONATOR7 so shoot me a message in-game if you're down. I'm out sick from work so I'll be on all day.

Assuming my 120 can get there, I can lend you a hand around 8pm or so. (It's ~630 now)

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Mystic Stylez posted:

Now that miracles have been more or less buffed, what would be a good build and weapons for a faith character? Will try it for the heck of it, mainly on PvE.

im absolutely wrecking in both PvE and PvP with this build

60 faith, 20 int, 40 attunement, 25 vit, 10 dex (to use the rear end), rest in stamina. i'm at 120 so IIRC i have 16 stamina

mornes ring, ring of the first sun, sage ring, lightning clutch ring

raw rear end +10, sunlight talisman +10, yorksha's chime +10

main miracles are sunlight spear, lightning stake, and lightning storm. the last attunement slot i either keep a heal for pve, or lightning blade for pvp.

the basic strategy for PvP is to hit them with the melee hitbox for sunlight spear while they're R1 spamming me, since i'll almost certainly do more damage unless they're using an ultra. unfaltering prayer means i don't get staggered by them. when it hits it staggers them, and i get 1-2 free slashes with the rear end, and for most people this either equals dead or ~1-200HP.

for PvE its pretty brainless, just snipe everything with sunlight spear, or if you're feeling cheeky, kite a bunch of enemies then throw down a couple lightning storms. lightning stake is good for hits that precision matters on, e.g. wolnirs bracelets, or the cursed greatwood's white arm in its second phase.

oh yeah the yorkshas chime is just for PvE since it hits harder, or if i'm 100% sure the PvP opponent won't close the gap and stagger me

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

HaB posted:

Assuming my 120 can get there, I can lend you a hand around 8pm or so. (It's ~630 now)

Actually just solo'd him. Now I need help with Soul of Cinder. Not even bothering with random phantoms since it seems like most people don't understand the concept of having fire resistance aganst a boss made out of loving fire.

Cody Banks fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 13, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:siren: CRIMES :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFoKyb09nsM&t=4160s

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

skasion posted:

The problem with buffs and debuffs is that they're going to be either kind of tedious or kind of useless. If you need to use them to deal respectable damage then they're boring way of drawing out fights by giving you a few seconds of pointless poo poo to do just so you won't suck; if you don't need them then what's the point? In my opinion they needed to take magic further in the direction of stuff like soul greatsword, lightning stake, and sacred flame -- stuff that is intended to be used in combat rather than from a distance, that acts as a distinct sort of close range attack, is a lot more interesting to work with. There's room for direct ranged damage spells, and delayed damage spells, and even buffs and debuffs, but when the most effective way to play a wizard is stay 15 meters away from the enemy and cast magic missile, that's what people will do.

I think a good way to handle buffs would be to give them all infinite duration and no immediate FP cost. Instead, they'd have varying amounts of FP drain while active and ability to instantly toggle them on or off after the initial cast. That would both make them more active and far less tedious to use.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Guillermus posted:

I think the Thrall Axe looks amazing. The range is what concerns me but seems that it uses very little stamina, plus I have already one sitting on my inventory.

Chaos Darksword sounds better than Dark Darksword because it would be a very, very dark weapon :shepface:

Thrall Axe is amazing for casters. Incredibly low requirements, low stamina cost, a fantastic weapon art and it works perfectly with all weapon buffs.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cody Banks posted:

Actually just solo'd him. Now I need help with Soul of Cinder. Not even bothering with random phantoms since it seems like most people don't understand the concept of having fire resistance aganst a boss made out of loving fire.

Ah yeah. I had already beaten the Dancer but that char's on ng++ to get all the rings and I haven't done much on that run at all. It would take a while to run up far enough to summon for Lord of Cinder.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

swamp waste posted:

Now that they've done their versions of Conan and Cthulhu i want to see From's version of John Carter. Something even more alien, without a specific real-world time or place to lean on.

I want a sci-fi aesthetic. Still dark and grimy, but with like, half-broken robots, crashed spaceships, malfunctioning spotty holographic displays, abandoned mining installations...

Basically just set a Souls game in a Metroid world and see what happens.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

HaB posted:

Ah yeah. I had already beaten the Dancer but that char's on ng++ to get all the rings and I haven't done much on that run at all. It would take a while to run up far enough to summon for Lord of Cinder.

No worries.

If anyone else would like to help me take him down, I'm LIGONATOR7 on PS4. SL 125.

edit: thank you goon sir!

Cody Banks fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 14, 2016

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
What's this about miracles being buffed?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Must make it pretty poo poo for anyone from the place trying to run an import/export business.

I think DS3 really handled the churning converging lands really goddamn well at the end when you walk out of the shrine and holy gently caress what the poo poo is going on here

That place reminds me of the bloodborne dlc and it , the beast monsters you find in a few places and the combat being really blade/dodge focued really shows that some bloodborne got mixed into this game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cast speeds mostly

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Humans Among Us posted:

You can toggle between 30 and 60 with backspace for the trickjumps

...or if you get hung up on the terrain :v: There are some definite issues with 60FPS but they hardly render the game unplayable.

fake edit: don't slide down the ladder to the underbridge area with the rats or the exit ladder from Pinwheel's area

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

skasion posted:

Yes, and they also stack with the magic clutch

Thanks

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cody Banks posted:

No worries.

If anyone else would like to help me take him down, I'm LIGONATOR7 on PS4. SL 125.

edit: it is done

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 14, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Guillermus posted:

From was on the ball this time, a dark infused dark sword gets renamed 'reinforced dark sword.'

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Edit: ^^^ I hate you. :mad:

Guillermus posted:

The developers actually thought of that. If you try to infuse a Dark Sword with dark, it becomes a Reinforced Dark Sword.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Proving that everything about the Dark Sword is for bitchmade wieners.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hard counter posted:

From was on the ball this time, a dark infused dark sword gets renamed 'reinforced dark sword.'

Cyberventurer posted:

Edit: ^^^ I hate you. :mad:

The developers actually thought of that. If you try to infuse a Dark Sword with dark, it becomes a Reinforced Dark Sword.

Oh well, they ruined the joke then.

RyokoTK posted:

Don't be salty, every souls game has weapons that are on top of the food chain. I prefer myself the bigger stuff but for PVE is amazing and I'm not feeling guilty for using it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

My pride forbids me from using that and the Washing Pole as well. Also the Washing Pole looks stupid, too long for its swings. It would make much more sense as a curved greatsword.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

How difficult is the platinum trophy? I realized I've been sitting at the end of NG, and I could either goof around or maybe go actually get everything I missed, respec to something practical, and blaze through NG+ and make sure i get all the important stuff.

Is there like a platinum trophy checklist somewhere?

you need to do ng++ for all the rings

it's not hard but it's really tedious and lame because of the rings and having to grind out the covenants for unique spells

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
So the Old Wolf Curved Sword is not great, huh. dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I really wish the game let you remap the kick to a not-awful input. It's just so unreliable and it's terrible.

Also, onislayer out of a roll with the new hyper armor on the dual katanas is pretty funny. I dunno if it cannot be parried or the timing is just weird or the guy I fought was just bad, but he whiffed and then proceeded to die to the onislayer+R1+L1 combo. I like the dual katans a lot in general. Good on their own, fantastic in a bleed build (they really don't get enough credit for bleed builds).

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

So the Old Wolf Curved Sword is not great, huh. dang

Not really, no. It's ok, but other curved greatswords have better weapon arts. The old wolf greatsword weapon art is weird to connect with (the initial step forward is easy, but does piss-all damage and doesn't seem to hitstun much, making the followup obnoxiously hard to strike with, and that's where the damage is) and can't lead to KO combos like the spin slash. It's a shame, because I thought the weapon art was really cool in theory.

You can totally offhand it while using some other weapon for the left and right pontiff effects though (stackable with the actual rings). Not worth much and you're better off with the Morion blade in terms of offhanding for an effect, but hey, it's there. I could see offhanding it being worthwhile in a world where Caestus could actually combo things for a meaningful number of strikes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you need to do ng++ for all the rings

it's not hard but it's really tedious and lame because of the rings and having to grind out the covenants for unique spells

I will give them credit for the various dickish trick jumps they make you do for a number of the +1 and +2 rings. Looking at you, Sage's Ring +2 and the one on that roof in high wall. Fleshbite +1 I think? I wish they had all been like that where each was a weird mini-challenge of some sort to obtain.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 14, 2016