Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Well my hype for this set just dropped to 0.

I don't think there's any way to do a 249-card Dominaria set without really pissing someone or other who's very invested in all this off, which makes me think it might have been a mistake to do it as an anniversary set. But maybe they'll pull this off somehow!

(I do not expect them to pull this off somehow.)

vegetables fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't think it's actually abstractly a problem that Wizards wants Standard to be about new powerful cards instead of old powerful cards. But it becomes a problem when you forget how to make new powerful cards that are fun to play with and environments that support them.

I like when WOTC decides they can try it with "same card but x+2 cmc" for everything but don't also ramp how much mana you get per turn. :v:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
*Sagely* But aren't we all stupid, for playing Magic: The Gathering?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

There up because the demand for modern continues to go up. We have now hit a point where standard isn't dogshit and so few actually care, because they have moved on. The PT didn't help either.

Wow... Thanks for this insight!!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm dumb as hell. But I accept it with the same self-effacing magnanimity in this thread as I do at the FLGS I do 0-3'ing draft nights week in and week out through a series of poor choices from my first ill-advised pick to my last inexplicably moronic misplay.

You're a top poster if only for the joke about law magic being ACABradabra.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
ACABradabra was only spoiled by the thread being anything but empty quoting that post at any point after that, which is really our fault.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I barely play Magic anymore. Is it a general consensus that Magic Arena is and will continue to be a trashfire? Duels had some serious flaws but it could meet the kind of low-level casual fun commitment I'm willing to give this game and then they killed it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I barely play Magic anymore. Is it a general consensus that Magic Arena is and will continue to be a trashfire? Duels had some serious flaws but it could meet the kind of low-level casual fun commitment I'm willing to give this game and then they killed it.

It's a fun beta, but it's very obviously actually a beta. It could be good, but right now it gets old because of the very limited card pool.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What do you not like about it?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Reactions seem pretty mixed from what I've seen, though mostly lukewarm?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sickening posted:

What do you not like about it?

It drives me crazy that after years and years of slowly improving Duels until it became mostly playable, they took such a big step back on UI. At least they have a text search in the deckbuilder now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
From what I've heard the reward system is a bit lacking compared to other digital card games - in something like Eternal, opening a garbo mythic that you're not going to play can be turned into 1/4 of a mythic that you are going to use. In Arena, the garbo mythic that you don't want to play does literally nothing for you unless you play so much that you open 5 copies of the same garbo mythic.

The beta gives you enough starting loot to put together a decent deck, but it looks like it'll take quite a lot of playing if you want multiple decks to choose from, or even just to keep up with format rotations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah I don't know how they think they're gonna compete with Hearthstone by being *more* stingy. One of the things that made Shadowverse so appealing was that it was extremely generous, which made it possible to have multiple functional decks before very long. (For a period of a few months, I think Shadowverse was the best digital ccg going. Then they started making it faster and faster and faster and the meta collapsed).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jabor posted:

From what I've heard the reward system is a bit lacking compared to other digital card games - in something like Eternal, opening a garbo mythic that you're not going to play can be turned into 1/4 of a mythic that you are going to use. In Arena, the garbo mythic that you don't want to play does literally nothing for you unless you play so much that you open 5 copies of the same garbo mythic.
A quarter of a mythic or an entire rare!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheChirurgeon posted:

No I get it. I misremembered the text of Incincerate as exiled on kill instead of disabling regeneration. It could have been Lightning Blast or Path to Exile instead--the larger point was that standard needs better instant-speed answers and a power level boost more than it needs specific cards that are expensive in Modern. I don't think there's a problem with the concept of Modern Masters, just the execution. Having a lot of separation between the two formats is a good thing.

There's a few red spells that do that for 3 mana, but the only one I recall that has exile text and 3 damage for 1R is Incendiary Flow, which is a sorcery.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah I don't know how they think they're gonna compete with Hearthstone

Magic does not compete with Hearthstone.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It seems like every time I try playing I'm convinced I am playing deck that is undefeatable.

At first it was Dredge. Now, I just played a dude that could perpetually destroy my land with Ghost Quarter or tap it with some other weird land until he eventually summoned a 20/20 indestructible token creature. :psyduck:

My brief remorse for selling my Tropical Islands yesterday is gone, lol. I feel like my participation is not even needed against decks like these. I'm lucky if i can even get a creature out, much less deal any damage. I know, I know, I have to stop playing Legacy, but the old cards appeal to me so much more. I guess I just wish there was such a thing as Legacy where not every deck you play against is such a finely tuned killing machine. I want a rec league for 40 year olds, not the NBA playoffs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That 20/20 can still be killed by Balance or Swords to Plowshares.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It seems like every time I try playing I'm convinced I am playing deck that is undefeatable.

At first it was Dredge. Now, I just played a dude that could perpetually destroy my land with Ghost Quarter or tap it with some other weird land until he eventually summoned a 20/20 indestructible token creature. :psyduck:

My brief remorse for selling my Tropical Islands yesterday is gone, lol. I feel like my participation is not even needed against decks like these. I'm lucky if i can even get a creature out, much less deal any damage. I know, I know, I have to stop playing Legacy, but the old cards appeal to me so much more. I guess I just wish there was such a thing as Legacy where not every deck you play against is such a finely tuned killing machine. I want a rec league for 40 year olds, not the NBA playoffs.

That deck that destroyed you is called Lands and it's a really good Legacy deck!

Sadly I can't really think of anywhere where you can play Legacy against people not using well-known archetypes. People still care about winning, and if they're gonna invest the money to get into a format like Legacy, they're usually not gonna invest it in a homebrew that isn't a proven winner.

Edit: Learn more about the format and build a good sideboard. Blood Moon and Rest in Peace are pretty good at wrecking Lands.

qbert fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 8, 2018

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

I want a rec league for 40 year olds, not the NBA playoffs.

Isn't what you're looking for EDH/Commander?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Some Numbers posted:

That 20/20 can still be killed by Balance

While this is technically correct, I would not recommend testing this theory.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My :psyduck: introduction to legacy came from an elves deck turn 2 craterhooth behemoth (which I'd never seen before) kill that autoplayed after a draft video.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Re: Finance chat - The only counter argument that makes any sense to me is that there are a hell of a lot of LGS's that rely on magic as a primary source of income and taking a $100 card off a player and giving them $30-40 bucks for it then flipping it the next day for $80 is a big source of income for some of these places. I'm not saying I 100% agree with it but logically I can see why WotC wouldn't want to break that model.

Re: Arena - I like it and it look like it could be something good, they're still tweaking the rewards and they do seem to be listening to people in the beta (they recently changed the daily quest rewards after negative feedback). However I can see WotC loving it up in some way because, well, WotC.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AceClown posted:

Re: Finance chat - The only counter argument that makes any sense to me is that there are a hell of a lot of LGS's that rely on magic as a primary source of income and taking a $100 card off a player and giving them $30-40 bucks for it then flipping it the next day for $80 is a big source of income for some of these places. I'm not saying I 100% agree with it but logically I can see why WotC wouldn't want to break that model.

I don't know if you can run a traditional game store without Magic being a part of it unless it's a Games Workshop store (as in a store owned and run by Games Workshop).

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Unless you're operating at Card Kingdom/CFB/SCG level singles aren't a reliable income stream for stores due to the existence of Card Kingdom/CFB/SCG. It's money for sure but supplies/snacks are higher margin and way more consistent.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

AceClown posted:

Re: Arena - I like it and it look like it could be something good, they're still tweaking the rewards and they do seem to be listening to people in the beta (they recently changed the daily quest rewards after negative feedback). However I can see WotC loving it up in some way because, well, WotC.

Conversely, every LGS I've talked to has said they're happily making less and less % of revenue off of MTG singles. Too much competition with online sellers that are all willing to fight themselves into poverty.

Sure if you can consistently flip cards in a week for 100% markup that's gold. But you end up with a lot of cards rotting in the case.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

I don't know if you can run a traditional game store without Magic being a part of it unless it's a Games Workshop store (as in a store owned and run by Games Workshop).

While most shops are going to carry magic, singles are falling off as revenue generators.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
masters sets caused long term damage to the secondary market for everyone not at the mass online level.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PJOmega posted:

While most shops are going to carry magic, singles are falling off as revenue generators.

A lot of them seem to be just listing their singles on TCGPlayer too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Star Man posted:

A lot of them seem to be just listing their singles on TCGPlayer too.

Star city, channel fireball, all of them. Often cheaper than on their own website.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

My friend, have you heard of Canadian Highlander?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2J7FvBJ4Fs

You still get to play busted cards (Vintage banlist) but the singleton format reduces consistency just enough to open the door to a wider range of archetypes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just play cEDH instead, the decks are similar to Canadian but the playerbase is a lot larger.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Veeery frequently at pretty much any online shop I will try to give them my business and they will quote no poo poo 200% or more of TCGPlayer prices when I ask after a single. Which if it's a 50 cent bulk rare or uncommon, fine I'll pay the dollar, but over a couple bucks that gets nuts. So I've pretty much given up on buying singles brick and mortar. I'd rather click a button and wait three days.

I realize I have to put money where I play, and brick and mortar retailers have to make their margins where they can, but its just an insane markup. I'll still buy my sleeves and some sealed product and poo poo locally but God drat dudes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't think it's actually abstractly a problem that Wizards wants Standard to be about new powerful cards instead of old powerful cards. But it becomes a problem when you forget how to make new powerful cards that are fun to play with and environments that support them.
There are powerful cards that are fun to play it’s just that there’s also obviously dumb bombs like Avacyn or Scarab God and they haven’t figured out that making Timmy cards good is annoying for most players.

Tireless Tracker is a card I think people would have noticed is a pretty powerful engine if it has been in something with Khans instead of right after fetch lands left the format. They’re $11 now.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 8, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

There are powerful cards that are fun to play it’s just that there’s also obviously dumb bombs like Avacyn or Scarab God and they haven’t figured out that making Timmy cards good is annoying for most players.

Tireless Tracker is a card I think people would have noticed is a pretty powerful engine if it has been in something with Khans instead of right after fetch lands left the format. They’re $11 now.

I've been saying for a while that Tracker rules, but I haven't been listening to my own advice because I still only have two :( It kicks rear end in these GWx decks with KotR.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

I've been saying for a while that Tracker rules, but I haven't been listening to my own advice because I still only have two :( It kicks rear end in these GWx decks with KotR.

Yeah same. It's crazy to me that a contemporary rare can be $10+ as a 1-2of but then I look at CoBru...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Angry Grimace posted:

Ehhh even that is super context-dependent. Baneslayer Angel was annoying for being an incredibly expensive mythic but it wasn't actually miserable to have around. Same for the Titans mostly.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

After getting killed by a Painter's Servant/Grindstone deck I thought Painter's Servant and Northern Paladin could be a fun deck theme so I bought a playset. I was not wrong. Can't wait to try it again. Systematically destroying my friend's lands was fun and effective. I'm sure it's easily countered but whatever I had fun.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Planeswalker redirection rule change coming with Dominaria... probably.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/171629935333/how-soon-will-we-see-the-planeswalker-redirection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic does not compete with Hearthstone.

If they care about the revenue of a digital card game, they'd better.