Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

euroshopper posted:

Wasn't really specifically referring to Fedora/RedHat. My grievance is that the most popular and maintained distros tend to be GTK-based and the KDE distros that do exist tend to be derivatives or 'flavors' of the aforementioned GTK distros.

So don't get me wrong, I posted this a few weeks ago:

Klyith posted:

I am honestly surprised how much I like KDE Plasma. I strongly disliked KDE way back when, and for the last decade or so when I've done desktop I've used XFCE. But I gave Plasma a shot, mostly because XFCE is still far from Wayland adoption. It's really nice!
and since then my opinion hasn't changed! I still like the UX. But I've seen some occasional stuff that's pretty wack.

Most notably, for a bit I was somehow triggering something that made plasmashell aggressively eat memory, as in 25 gb of ram + swap in under 10 minutes. I'm fairly certain that the trigger was something related to copying / moving files in Dolphin, as each of the 3 times it's happened have been when I've been pulling stuff onto linux disks from my windows drives. (I'm using rsync for big things of course.)

After the first time I put a memory graph on the desktop, and so one time I caught it in the act: literally ctrl-c on files in one dolphin tab, ctrl-v in the other tab, boom the memory starts going up.

OTOH I just took an update to KDE Plasma and can't make it happen now. Maybe it got fixed? Though it definitely didn't happen every time before.

So KDE in my opinion is feeling extremely "community open source" as opposed to "professional open source". Which is probably why I like it! But also why I can see the more suit & tie distros sticking with gnome / GTK-based DE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Has anyone gotten Vortex Mod Manager working with lutris (or otherwise)? I just got a new machine and installed Pop!_Os and an overall pretty happy with it, games work totally fine, but I haven't figured out how to mod games yet.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
what

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Volguus posted:

KDE, however, is very well maintained in Fedora, and is (in my opinion) one of the better flavours of it. Yes, Gnome is where they put the majority of their efforts, but there's only so much polishing a turd one can do.

Yeah and the fedora kde maintainers do their best with that rancid turd they're given

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Has anyone gotten Vortex Mod Manager working with lutris (or otherwise)? I just got a new machine and installed Pop!_Os and an overall pretty happy with it, games work totally fine, but I haven't figured out how to mod games yet.

There's a lutris script for MO2 floating around somewhere. I dunno about Vortex.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I've read it works but haven't tried it myself :shrug:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Man DNF is convinced I'm on releasever 35, after upgrading to 36, was hoping some reboots and/or upgrades would fix it but doesn't appear to happening, any ideas why this is happening? None of my /etc/dnf or /etc/yum.d/ files have anything I think could be setting it and /etc/os-release is correctly showing 36... at a bit of a loss.

Don't want to have to make an alias to specify --releasever 36 forever now or something.

Edit: Can anyone else running Fedora let me know if you have multiple fedora-release packages? Wondering if this is the issue

code:
$ rpm -q --whatprovides system-release
fedora-release-35-36.noarch
fedora-release-36-17.noarch
Edit 2: Actually looks like none of my F35 packages got removed for some reason when I upgraded... was able to fix it with

code:
dnf --releasever=36 --setopt=deltarpm=false --setopt=protected_packages= --allowerasing distro-sync

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 18, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Going for the triple post; whats the canonical way to mount a users home directory on login? I have an encrypted home dir that I currently use pam_mount for, and it mostly works great; however I would like to use my yubikey to automatically decrypt it. I know systemd-homed can do this however it's not fully integrated into Fedora yet (I stopped implementing it at a bunch of SELinux issues, figured it wasn't worht the risk / headache), is there any other option?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

Going for the triple post; whats the canonical way to mount a users home directory on login? I have an encrypted home dir that I currently use pam_mount for, and it mostly works great; however I would like to use my yubikey to automatically decrypt it. I know systemd-homed can do this however it's not fully integrated into Fedora yet (I stopped implementing it at a bunch of SELinux issues, figured it wasn't worht the risk / headache), is there any other option?

so a yubikey for decrypt is a step-by-step example in the man for crypttab, would that not work?

it seems like if it can mount an entire /home volume prior to login with a yubikey, you could also mount /home/mrcrow from a LUKS volume

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ya, but I'm being OCD and want it to lock / unlock at login and not be tied to boot. As far as I could tell only homed will read from it to handle it during login, via --fido2-device but its possible I'm missing some combination to get the behavior I want.

At one point I had tried just normal systemd mount but they load to late in the login process and it fucks up login.

pam_mount works great except I have to enter the password to login, which is annoying as I moved all my auth to pam_u2f which also leverages the yubikey. pam_mount can optionally read from a key file but I'm not sure how to generate it or pull it without it being extremely gross.

I was thinking that surely this isn't a unique problem and maybe there's some other way to handle it out there, similar to samba home dirs or something, was eyeballing autofs as a possibility? I've never used it and was guessing it would also be late in the login process and cause issues, but I've yet to actually try it.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 21, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I honestly don’t know but if you figure it out you better do a write up

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Honestly I think systemd-home is your only solution now that I’ve looked.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
It's been more than a decade since I played with samba, and I have a question for whoever knows something about it. I have this configuration file:

code:
[global]
        workgroup = SAMBA
        security = user
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        username map = /etc/samba/usermap.txt

[test]
        comment = Test dir
        valid users = samba
        path = /tmp
        browseable = Yes
        read only = No
        writeable = Yes
And in /etc/samba/usermap.txt I have:
code:
samba=test test1
samba is a user in Linux. I made a password for it for the smb service using pbedit.

Everything works fine. I can login from a windows machine using the users test, test1 and samba all 3 with the same password that I set in pbedit.

Question:
Is it possible to only be able to login with test or test1 but not with samba?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

samba is a user in Linux.

Question:
Is it possible to only be able to login with test or test1 but not with samba?

so the samba user has access to the samba share, but is not a valid user for other purposes on the system?

quote:

If you want the new user only to be allowed to remotely access the file server shares through Samba, you can restrict other login options:
disabling shell: usermod --shell /usr/bin/nologin --lock samba_user
disabling SSH logons: edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config, change option AllowUsers

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The opposite, I think: it's unspecified if the samba user should be allowed to log into the system - the question is how to block it from being a valid smb user.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

so the samba user has access to the samba share, but is not a valid user for other purposes on the system?

Yes, samba is just a linux user, no login, no password, locked, no home, no nothing.

Computer viking posted:

The opposite, I think: it's unspecified if the samba user should be allowed to log into the system - the question is how to block it from being a valid smb user.

Exactly. I didn't think that's relevant if the samba user should or shouldn't be allowed to login into the system. This is only about smb itself. From what I've read smb needs to have an OS user, for permission purposes (who owns the files that get created, who can delete what, etc.), but via user mapping you can specify other usernames (can be domain usernames or just windows usernames) that the users can use to login. But ideally I'd only like to allow for the test and test1 usernames to login from a (windows or any other OS) client .

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if BlankSystemDaemon is around - is there a command on FreeBSD that works like Linux watch: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/watch.1.html

BSD watch(8) is a completely unrelated thing

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

VostokProgram posted:

if BlankSystemDaemon is around - is there a command on FreeBSD that works like Linux watch: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/watch.1.html

No - but you can install misc/gnu-watch to get the linux one as "gnu-watch".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

This is only about smb itself. From what I've read smb needs to have an OS user, for permission purposes (who owns the files that get created, who can delete what, etc.), but via user mapping you can specify other usernames (can be domain usernames or just windows usernames) that the users can use to login. But ideally I'd only like to allow for the test and test1 usernames to login from a (windows or any other OS) client .

Delete the samba user from the SMB database in pdbedit?

It seems like the two lists of users are separate things, and just default to name = name mapping across the OS & SMB lists. If that user on the OS side is just there to provide permissions for the SMB users then it doesn't need to be listed on the SMB side.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

VostokProgram posted:

While true; sleep bash loop?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

While true; sleep bash loop?

Eh that floods your terminal because it prints the output on a new line every time. Watch overwrites the terminal the same way less or vim would and then restores it when you close it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not in front of a keyboard to try it, but would a clear at the top of the loop do the trick?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

Delete the samba user from the SMB database in pdbedit?

It seems like the two lists of users are separate things, and just default to name = name mapping across the OS & SMB lists. If that user on the OS side is just there to provide permissions for the SMB users then it doesn't need to be listed on the SMB side.

I'm not quit sure I follow this. If I delete the samba user from the pdbedit database then it doesn't have a password, and not matter what mapping I do it will never allow samba, test or test1 to connect/browse the share. I just tried it out of curiosity and indeed, nobody can authenticate now.
Or am I missing something here? The user mapping list is just a mapping "real user" = "some other name". It needs to be listed on the smb side so that smb knows who authenticated, who is the user browsing the share.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cum jabbar posted:

Not in front of a keyboard to try it, but would a clear at the top of the loop do the trick?

thats how I doit if I don't want to see the history. just while true; do clear; df -h /; sleep 5; done

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Heh, watch(8) is very different, yeah - but weirdly it's also newer than watch(1) in Linux, and it's not an infrequent occurrence where I want to monitor what a user is doing on a Linux system because I think they're misbehaving, and then have to do something different (and I'm not the only one).

I can't explain why BSD watch(8) is different, except that all the utilities that I can think of, where batch outputting every time period is a desirable behavior, supports it natively. :shrug:

In addition to the examples given, you can also do something equivalent in the C shell with the while…end builtins.
As an alternative there's sysutils/cmdwatch, which doesn't pollute the namespace like gnu-watch does - though maybe sysutils/gnu-watch should behave like sysutils/binutils which prefix every command with the letter g.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

I'm not quit sure I follow this. If I delete the samba user from the pdbedit database then it doesn't have a password, and not matter what mapping I do it will never allow samba, test or test1 to connect/browse the share. I just tried it out of curiosity and indeed, nobody can authenticate now.
Or am I missing something here? The user mapping list is just a mapping "real user" = "some other name". It needs to be listed on the smb side so that smb knows who authenticated, who is the user browsing the share.

Sorry, I'm just spitballing here, but reading the docs for username map & general samba setup I can't imagine how it would be otherwise.

In particular, you can add a samba-only user with samba-tool user create user1. By default a new samba user will map to the nobody unix user. And nobody isn't valid to login via smb. So I think it's gonna work that you can map the smb user to the unix user without the unix user also being in smb.

I dunno, I suggest re-do from start:
1. clear the samba users you did before
2. make new unix user sambauser
3. add test users with samba-tool user create
4. map them to sambauser, give sambauser some shares

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

Sorry, I'm just spitballing here, but reading the docs for username map & general samba setup I can't imagine how it would be otherwise.

In particular, you can add a samba-only user with samba-tool user create user1. By default a new samba user will map to the nobody unix user. And nobody isn't valid to login via smb. So I think it's gonna work that you can map the smb user to the unix user without the unix user also being in smb.

I dunno, I suggest re-do from start:
1. clear the samba users you did before
2. make new unix user sambauser
3. add test users with samba-tool user create
4. map them to sambauser, give sambauser some shares

Hmm, thanks for the ideas. From reading about samba-tool, and trying it, it seems that it works for AD management only. That is seems to be its purpose. That is, need an ldap server (samba can be one, true), configure it, add users to that and then use that to authenticate users. And that's opening multiple cans of worms. I managed to get something like this working, and while not 100% successful, I think I can see how it can work. I can live with a local account being able to authenticate too in addition to the mapped names, just so that I don't have an AD in there (or anywhere).

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
If a scanner is not supported by SANE, is it possible to access it via a virtualized Windows guest, and scan from there?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
probably.

I bought some WD external HDD and to configure it (change the RAID setting) I had to boot a windows VM and pass through the USB.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Not Vortex but I'm running Mod Organizer 2 (which you should be using instead) with about 150 mods and Fallout 4 under Garuda linux. Running it through Steam Tinker Launcher which will install it correctly and I had no problems after that.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Retrograde posted:

Not Vortex but I'm running Mod Organizer 2 (which you should be using instead) with about 150 mods and Fallout 4 under Garuda linux. Running it through Steam Tinker Launcher which will install it correctly and I had no problems after that.

Does wabbajack work? Have been debating installing FO4 again, not sure if worth trying to get it running on linux

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Mr. Crow posted:

Does wabbajack work? Have been debating installing FO4 again, not sure if worth trying to get it running on linux

Not that I've seen but haven't delved too far into that, I think I heard something about a cross platform version being worked on but can't seem to track anything down. It looks like someone managed to get it Wabbajack working in wine about a month ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/tuxeud/working_wabbajack_for_skyrimse_on_linux_with_wine/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ANyone ever seen something like this? I can't figure out wtf ssh is doing.

code:
xzzy@xzzycomp:~$ /usr/bin/ssh -v -K obfuscated.host.com
OpenSSH_8.2p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.5, OpenSSL 1.1.1f  31 Mar 2020
debug1: Reading configuration data /home/xzzy/.ssh/config
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: include /etc/ssh/ssh_config.d/*.conf matched no files
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 21: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to obfuscated.host.com [xxx.xxx.22.52] port 22.
debug1: connect to address xxx.xxx.22.52 port 22: Connection refused
debug1: Connecting to obfuscated.host.com [xxx.xxx.208.71] port 22.
debug1: connect to address xxx.xxx.208.71 port 22: Connection refused
debug1: Connecting to obfuscated.host.com [xxx.xxx.208.70] port 22.
debug1: connect to address xxx.xxx.208.70 port 22: Connection refused
debug1: Connecting to obfuscated.host.com [xxx.xxx.22.22] port 22.
This has to be a dns issue, right? But I can't figure out what's broken.. all the ip addresses it's trying are various dns servers that provide authority for the host I'm trying to ssh into. None of the addresses are the IP of the server I actually want to log in to.

For backstory, this is my home desktop. I've been working on it just fine with this configuration for months using Comcast as the ISP.. it was bulletproof. Then we moved and got a new ISP. Same computer, same config, same destination and ssh keeps breaking in absurd ways. If I spam ssh attempts one eventually gets through so it also kinda feels like maybe a load balancer is being stupid.

The next thing for me to try is replacing the ISP provided router (it's one of those eero ones which I am unfamiliar with but they seem pretty basic) but it's not clear to me that this will help.

I'm also noticing that using the 'host' command for the server I want to connect to is printing all the dns servers. It's not supposed to do that, right? None of our rhel based systems at work produce output like this.

code:
xzzy@xzzycomp:~$ host obfuscated.host.com
obfuscated.host.com has address xxx.xxx.240.92
dns1.net has address xxx.xxx.22.52
dns2.net has address xxx.xxx.208.71
dns3.net has address xxx.xxx.208.70
dns4.net has address xxx.xxx.22.22
This is just so dang weird I can't even google for it.

edit - it has to be stupid dns somewhere because if I start connecting by ip it's 100% reliable. ISP is doing something stupid with dns maybe?

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 26, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

xzzy posted:

edit - it has to be stupid dns somewhere because if I start connecting by ip it's 100% reliable. ISP is doing something stupid with dns maybe?
Try going to http://obfuscated.host.com/. Yes, even if it's not supposed to be running a web-server, but it might reveal the sillyness. You can also "dig obfuscated.host.com" to get a more detailed response than what the host command gives you.

That said, it's not uncommon for ISPs to intercept DNS and forge responses to NXDOMAIN. Usually the intention is to provide a "helpful" webpage or portal in response to a fat-fingered URL, not that people actually type in URLs anymore, and not that browsers don't already do this themselves.

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but I'm assuming your ISP Is fabricating additional responses to the DNS request for obfuscated with the assumption that your resolver would use the responses in order. Of course, your resolver can (and should?) try hosts in the response in arbitrary order and that's probably responsible for the behavior you're seeing.

You could try to see if your ISP has a configuration option to disable wildcard DNS or whatever. Personally I think you should nuke your ISP's DNS entirely as it's untrustworthy and there's no real benefit to using it.

If you run a LInux router you can just install bind9 and configure your hosts to use your router for DNS. I think the default bind9 configuration is setup as a caching recursive resolver using the root servers, though you may need to modify the ACLs a bit to allow access from hosts on your local network.

Alternatively you can use a handful of public DNS servers including Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and Cloudflare (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Alternatively you can use a handful of public DNS servers including Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and Cloudflare (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1).

I’ve had really good results from Quad9 (9.9.9.9) recently, even in rural west Tennessee. I’ve also had luck using DNSJumper (don’t remember where I dl’ed it, but it’s very lightweight on resources), and it has a right-click “fastest DNS/Apply DNS” capability that even my dumb rear end can run. My ping has dropped from ~100ms to >50ms when I run DNSJumper’s test every few hours/days at the merest hint of lag or slow responses!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been unable to reproduce the oddness with wget or curl which is super disappointing because it would have confirmed some stuff.

Gonna do shots in the dark with public DNS and setting up a temporary router to try and isolate where the issue is coming from.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I would 100% blame ISP DNS, especially as the poster above suggested

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

I ran into a similar problem years ago that was caused by eDNS over UDP and a Cisco ASA truncating the response. The DNS Resolver got confused and started using the info from the SOA record instead of the MX records it was trying to pull.

If you can capture the dns requests it may help indicate at least what responses are coming back to you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

dig +trace will be your friend here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My saga with the nouveau driver and grub continues. It goes on-and-off since I only really ever deal with it when I boot. I had shut down the computer over the extended weekend and took another shot at it today.

Last time we tuned in, I had set my /etc/default/grub and my /boot/grub.cfg to blacklist the nouveau driver, but it would still come up on boot. If I looked at the boot options, none of the new flags were there that I added. Today, I paid a bit more attention to update-grub and saw an error about applying memtest. I had tried to install memtest some time ago when I was having all of these strange problems that I eventually narrowed to the nouveau driver. Memtest was never in the boot list and I ultimately used a dedicated USB image for it. I uninstalled the memtest package and the error persisted. I then saw a 20_memtest file in what I think was /etc/grub.d (?). I removed that and update-grub stopped complaining about it. Instead, on reboot, I just got shoved to the grub command line directly.

Well, I guess that's progress? I am running the boot repair first and then see if I can find which blacklist option to use. I'm guessing the giant cocktail of flags I gave to shut up the nouveau driver had something wrong with them and grub decided to just puke in response. It's a work-in-progress, but it looks like I can now actually get affect from update-grub or something.

Edit: My four attempts so far to repair grub have been thwarted. I just get slammed into the command line every time.

Edit Edit: I'll end up just posting my entire process in a new post when I can look at it again. It also would help to preserve everything between boots somewhere. I wonder if the Linux EFI entries have decoupled from the current grub environment and I will probably end up doing certain things just to show true cause-and-effect.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 31, 2022