Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The usefulness of Hymn has probably dropped off by the time you get delirium. Also lol at handwringing over a slightly better Corpse Churn.

Hitting lands as well as creatures makes Grapple a lot better card as you can play it turn two and never completely whiff and have good odds of picking your choice of creature or land depending on what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

The usefulness of Hymn has probably dropped off by the time you get delirium. Also lol at handwringing over a slightly better Corpse Churn.

I remember when people laughed at Serum Visions.

"Slightly" better Corpse Churn is better in the most important way possible. It helps fix your mana and it virtually guarantees you will never whiff with it.

It could easily go in a Green/Black Delirium shell, where you play Traverse the Ulvenwald, Mindwrack Demon, Deathcap Cultivator, new Emrakul (one of sense you can search it up with Traverse), and hell maybe even To the Slaughter becomes playable when you know you have Delirium on always.

Also this card means you can have Delirium on under good conditions pretty consistently starting your turn 3. Which seems pretty good (crack an evolving wilds, play this card, choose 2 cards that aren't a instant or land to go in your yard)

anglachel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 30, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

It's even good when you draw it late since it doesn't say to bring back something put in the bin by its effect, just any creature or land already there. It's gonna be a fine enabler if a delirium deck becomes playable.

E: being instant speed also doesn't hurt.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

BJPaskoff posted:

With me it's always the games where I'm playing someone totally inexperienced, but they're playing these bad cards and they happen to beat me when my draws already suck. I can remember so many games where I mulled to 5 and/or got stuck on land and some new player has some of those horrible counterspells in his deck at the right moments.

The big one I've seen for this set was Manic Scribe. As much as people irrationally hate self-mill, they irrationally love forcing their opponent to mill when the order of the deck is not known and decking isn't an immediate threat.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

anglachel posted:

I remember when people laughed at Serum Visions.

"Slightly" better Corpse Churn is better in the most important way possible. It helps fix your mana and it virtually guarantees you will never whiff with it.

It could easily go in a Green/Black Delirium shell, where you play Traverse the Ulvenwald, Mindwrack Demon, Deathcap Cultivator, new Emrakul (one of sense you can search it up with Traverse), and hell maybe even To the Slaughter becomes playable when you know you have Delirium on always.

Also this card means you can have Delirium on under good conditions pretty consistently starting your turn 3. Which seems pretty good (crack an evolving wilds, play this card, choose 2 cards that aren't a instant or land to go in your yard)

To the Slaughter is a sideboard card because the 2-for-1 inherent in the Delirium isn't terribly relevant against Nissa/Gideon and even to the extent you just want to turn on the "sac a walker" effect, its usefulness against the rest of the field is pretty limited by letting them pick the sac target.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's still 2 mana to not affect the board or get ahead on cards. It's a decent pickup for Delirium decks and not much else.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

get ahead on cards

It does do this, it's 2 mana card selection in Green in a format where Den Protector exists.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a Wolf in Fallout Armor.

Huh.

4 Lupine Prototype
4 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Dragon Hunter
4 Expedition Envoy
4 Mardu Woe-Reaper
4 Bonded Construct
4 Town Gossipmonger
4 Topplegeist
4 Aven Skirmisher
4 Kitesail Scout
20 Plains

Something like that will probably be competitive for at least the first couple weeks of the new meta.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Chamale posted:

Something like that will probably be competitive for at least the first couple weeks of the new meta.

It's pretty good in the Madness decks that have their hands emptied by turn 4 anyways.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

The big one I've seen for this set was Manic Scribe. As much as people irrationally hate self-mill, they irrationally love forcing their opponent to mill when the order of the deck is not known and decking isn't an immediate threat.

I beat someone once because they targeted me with vessel of paramnesia and gave my G/W/B deck delirium on turn 3. Game two he tries to target me with one again and I remind him what happened last time and how it's better to target yourself. He says "well, I do have some delirium cards in my deck", thinks for another second, and then says he still wants to target me.

Manic Scribe is actually good though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah you can try making g/b delirium work in standard or you could replace black with white and just play whats good

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
What would it take for black, blue, and red to stand a chance against the white and green stuff being spoiled?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

the Orb of Zot posted:

What would it take for black, blue, and red to stand a chance against the white and green stuff being spoiled?

Damnation

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm not talking about the card btw I'm talking about WotC employees reciting the proper incantations to do it to Mark Rosewater and R&D

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm looking forward to badly donating Demonic Pact all day in modern in the 0-2 tables bracket.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I'm looking forward to badly donating Demonic Pact all day in modern in the 0-2 tables bracket.

Couldn't you badly donate pact in standard?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Couldn't you badly donate pact in standard?

I don't play standard :smaug:

I'm that guy who has enough modern cards that standard is more expensive to play than modern because I'd have to buy 75 cards instead of 8 cards to play a new deck.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sigma-X posted:

I'm that guy who has enough modern cards that standard is more expensive to play than modern because I'd have to buy 75 cards instead of 8 cards to play a new deck.

:smaug::hf::smaug:

What up, standard-hiatus buddy?

Edit: Play red in standard always. When it's not actively hated out by R&D, it can compete with the best of 'em.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

anglachel posted:

It's pretty good in the Madness decks that have their hands emptied by turn 4 anyways.

How consistently can they do that? A deck will never be able to play 9 cards by turn 3 if one is a 2-drop, unless it has acceleration or it can get a card out of its hand for free.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Aggressive mulligans.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

It does do this, it's 2 mana card selection in Green in a format where Den Protector exists.

That's not what "card advantage" means.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chamale posted:

How consistently can they do that? A deck will never be able to play 9 cards by turn 3 if one is a 2-drop, unless it has acceleration or it can get a card out of its hand for free.

You can use your madness enablers even without actually madnessing something. Not that that's necessarily a good idea, but it's possible.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not talking about the card btw I'm talking about WotC employees reciting the proper incantations to do it to Mark Rosewater and R&D

It's more on development than design, imo

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tubgoat posted:

:smaug::hf::smaug:

What up, standard-hiatus buddy?

Edit: Play red in standard always. When it's not actively hated out by R&D, it can compete with the best of 'em.

Play red even when it is hated out.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Chamale posted:

It might work in affinity, on very fast hands it can swing as quickly as turn 2. On slow hands it just means you're playing other 2 drops instead.

Algid fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 1, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sigma-X posted:

Now that one of my LGS has legacy again I'm out of the rest of the formats. I hate standard.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

That's not what "card advantage" means.

The words were "get ahead on cards". Yeah it's not a draw 2 so there's no immediate card advantage but in the context of decks that would want to play it, it's definitely a constructed-playable card selection/advantage spell in green and will net you more than just replacing itself in a deck that can exploit self-mill.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Lol @ Allosaurus Rider buyout.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Chamale posted:

Ah I was including turn 4 itself. With a mulligan? Pretty consistently. If not well, If your not dropping a 1 and 2 drop your probably hosed anyways. (your hosed anyways because their drops are stronger than yours, your cards have to combo to reach the same level of power as a single one of their cards)

So opener of 7, draw a card turns 2 to 4. So total of 11 cards. 4 of which are probably lands. If your hitting any kind of curve your dropping about 3 creatures entering turn 4. Thats 7 cards alone. Then the Wolf itself is the 8th card. So you have to pitch up about 3 cards to your enablers, which you'll be doing if it's like say an extra land to flip Heir or you have an Olivia into Firey temper or just play multiple one or two drops in one turn.

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah you can try making g/b delirium work in standard or you could replace black with white and just play whats good

Well yeah. Green White Black is probably playable. I mean your probably running 4 Oath of Nissa's, 4 New Green Card Selection Card and 4 Evolving Wilds in that deck. So a 3rd color splash shouldn't be too hard. If it's worth to splash Black is gonna be totally around how good new Leliana is.

It's hilarious how Green has officially claimed card selection as yet another thing it can do in this set.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
http://wizardsdeveloper.tumblr.com/ is now active

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chamale posted:

Huh.

4 Lupine Prototype
4 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Dragon Hunter
4 Expedition Envoy
4 Mardu Woe-Reaper
4 Bonded Construct
4 Town Gossipmonger
4 Topplegeist
4 Aven Skirmisher
4 Kitesail Scout
20 Plains

Hey start playing some Bone Saws in there for real value.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

Lol @ Allosaurus Rider buyout.

Why

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I want u/w spirits and u/b zombies to be good. Just let me play my dead mans.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

You can Eldtrich Evolution it into Iona or Griselbrand.

This will be significantly different than the time people tried to pod Allosaurus Rider into Griselbrand, because this time the unwieldy combo can get Iona.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

knowing what you know now, would you have made avacyn as strong as you did?

From Dave Humpherys (as lead of Shadow over Innistrad):

Yes. Ideally, I’d also go back and give a little more love to some other colors here as well, but I’m happy with her as a card. It was a goal that Avacyn be an impactful card in Standard this time around, especially knowing her fate in the story of this set. We intentionally pushed her to the point where she would be an exciting card and have a home in competitive decks, and that Dragonlord Ojutai wouldn’t just overshadow Avacyn as a better card by fostering better decks than hers. By getting to this level with her suite of abilities we expected this meant she would create new Green/White decks. While these decks have turned out to be more consistent and impressive that we’d have predicted, I’m not sad about how we developed her yet

I feel this is potentially a dangerous precedent.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rinkles posted:

I feel this is potentially a dangerous precedent.

Kaladesh: We made sure to push Robosurrected Parents hard enough that they would be more powerful than Avacyn, to make them exciting so they wouldn't just get overshadowed.

Return to New Phyrexia: We made sure to push Elijah Norn hard enough that she would be more powerful than Robosurrected Parents, to make her exciting so she wouldn't just get overshadowed.

Shandalar: We made sure to push Onikaku hard enough that it would be more powerful than Elijah Norn, to make it exciting so it wouldn't just get overshadowed.

Live Free or Die Ravnica: The new Niv Mizzet is identical to the original except with the cost reduced by 4 please buy our new pack

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Also are people expecting Eldritch Evolution to do anything to current Standard decks?

Bant Coco and Selesnya Aggro don't want to break even on creatures with it. Gruul Ramp doesn't want it, as there are no decent 5 drops to get Arf-Arf and World Breaker and they can't go up to Ulamog. If there's something it can do it's not with the current lists. The Cryptolith Rites decks can't get their eponymous card with it and are also all-in on Coco for plopping more creatures down.

If something else wants it, it's going to be an entirely new brew. But I don't think one is around while Coco is defining green creature plopping spells.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also are people expecting Eldritch Evolution to do anything to current Standard decks?

Bant Coco and Selesnya Aggro don't want to break even on creatures with it. Gruul Ramp doesn't want it, as there are no decent 5 drops to get Arf-Arf and World Breaker and they can't go up to Ulamog. If there's something it can do it's not with the current lists. The Cryptolith Rites decks can't get their eponymous card with it and are also all-in on Coco for plopping more creatures down.

If something else wants it, it's going to be an entirely new brew. But I don't think one is around while Coco is defining green creature plopping spells.

I think it will be a deck, but it may have to wait till Dragons and Origins to go away to get it's day in the Sun. (this is true of alot of possible decks though)

It's main strength in Standard seems like it will be that you can run lots of 1 of Silver Bullet Creatures (like Thalia), and shoot them in. But that kind of thing is only good in a diverse metagame, and this standard is not diverse. I mean like a green/black/blue deck that sacs a zombie and uses Gisa and Geralf to play the zombie back for value could be a cool use of it as well. But once again that won't be good enough right now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You don't want to play a card like that unless you're doing something unfair, it's not efficient enough.

Getting random silver bullets is not unfair. People keep comparing it to pod, but the card it reminds me most of is Natural Order, just much worse, and no one ever put Natural Order in their deck in order to get Indrik Stomphowler or Gaddock Teeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Kaladesh: We made sure to push Robosurrected Parents hard enough that they would be more powerful than Avacyn, to make them exciting so they wouldn't just get overshadowed.

Return to New Phyrexia: We made sure to push Elijah Norn hard enough that she would be more powerful than Robosurrected Parents, to make her exciting so she wouldn't just get overshadowed.

Shandalar: We made sure to push Onikaku hard enough that it would be more powerful than Elijah Norn, to make it exciting so it wouldn't just get overshadowed.

Live Free or Die Ravnica: The new Niv Mizzet is identical to the original except with the cost reduced by 4 please buy our new pack

It is funny how he chooses to contrast Avacyn against an older set's headline mythic. Avacyn "overshadowed [Ojutai] as a better card by fostering better decks than [his]"

• Locked thread