Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Any precedent that they're going to:

1) fix bluecop/darkmoon summoning, or
2) improve the drop rate on ears off the knights in Anor Londo?

because this sucks. I watched a movie on my laptop while I had my sign active and got zero hits, but farming the knights is guaranteed to cause insanity since I don't have the mimic helmet thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Berzerker posted:

Any precedent that they're going to:

1) fix bluecop/darkmoon summoning, or
2) improve the drop rate on ears off the knights in Anor Londo?

because this sucks. I watched a movie on my laptop while I had my sign active and got zero hits, but farming the knights is guaranteed to cause insanity since I don't have the mimic helmet thing

1) they already have but it only has helped some people so far
2) From hates farmers, but they may make some other way of getting them in some DLC, like when they added respawing claw guys in SotFS so you didn't have to keep using ascetics to farm their armor in the pirate cove boss fight

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I guess I won't hold my breath. I'm on PS4 and had no problems with the other covenants, I had nonstop Aldrich summons to the point where I couldn't even get the covenant item unequipped sometimes because I'd get summoned so fast after an invasion, but I've literally never been summoned as either of the bluecop types.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7Ehyk3TWo

great is the weapon that cuts on its own

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Cobalt60 posted:

How difficult is the platinum trophy? I realized I've been sitting at the end of NG, and I could either goof around or maybe go actually get everything I missed, respec to something practical, and blaze through NG+ and make sure i get all the important stuff.

Is there like a platinum trophy checklist somewhere?
hope you like farming items for like 18 hours

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Obligatum VII posted:

Also, onislayer out of a roll with the new hyper armor on the dual katanas is pretty funny. I dunno if it cannot be parried or the timing is just weird or the guy I fought was just bad, but he whiffed and then proceeded to die to the onislayer+R1+L1 combo. I like the dual katans a lot in general. Good on their own, fantastic in a bleed build (they really don't get enough credit for bleed builds).

You can't parry the onislayer attack, with the hyper armour it's really good now.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I bashed my head against Aldrich for like an hour and a half tonight and came within a pixel of killing his moist rear end, but never quite managed it. Level 1 is a bitch. Off to Irithyll Dungeon instead.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Does the stupid black knight on the road of sacrifices ever drop anything?? I have killed that shitheel like half a dozen times and have not seen a single drop.

Also I know what I am missing from BB. Is there a ranged halberd/axe/whatever that has an attack similar to the hunter axe? I like having something that is good at chopping at close range (check) but all my pseudo range options feel like poo poo.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SynthOrange posted:

Must make it pretty poo poo for anyone from the place trying to run an import/export business.

I think DS3 really handled the churning converging lands really goddamn well at the end when you walk out of the shrine and holy gently caress what the poo poo is going on here

I thought that was amazing. Like as if we were looking back at the entire series only now from the outside, what the worlds really look like. It was a wonderful acknowledgement of how hosed up the geography is, really embracing it. It felt almost like a twist (if you'll pardon the pun) ending.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Does the stupid black knight on the road of sacrifices ever drop anything?? I have killed that shitheel like half a dozen times and have not seen a single drop.

Also I know what I am missing from BB. Is there a ranged halberd/axe/whatever that has an attack similar to the hunter axe? I like having something that is good at chopping at close range (check) but all my pseudo range options feel like poo poo.

That black knight does drop stuff but I don't know if with reduced chance compared to the others. It took like 18-20 tries for me to get his UGS with my first char then I decided to farm the armor on untended graves and they had a much higher chance (not even counting symbol of avarice and covetous gold ring) to drop stuff. If you use shields, go back when you get both the covetous gold ring and mimic head and get it, probably the best all rounder shield ingame with drat high fire resist on top of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I bashed my head against Aldrich for like an hour and a half tonight and came within a pixel of killing his moist rear end, but never quite managed it. Level 1 is a bitch. Off to Irithyll Dungeon instead.

RIP Greirat

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
You guys think my pyromancer could be tweaked into a dark sorcery/miracle warlock dude? I'd probably only do it if the crystal chime is any good since I hate having multiple catalyst types.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When you say tweaked, did you mean just straight up respeccing?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
No I've got 40 ATT, FTH, and INT already I just haven't collected any spells except pyromancies, catalysts either. I think I sold them all off. Just don't want to spend the time to reacquire all that stuff if the build would be awful. I can definitely deal with suboptimal if it changes things up from nuking things to death with fire, which is starting to bore a bit.

e: Eh I actually decided to get late game with this other boring quality character I forgot I had who's in Irithyll, and respec to a pure dark hexer build which will probably be awful. But I keep getting rerollitis and my fire guy looks sweet with his golden armor (Favor helm/Sunset Chest/Brass Legs/Dragonslayer bracers) and there's all kind of armor I haven't worn yet...

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 14, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
dark is mostly good for weakness abuse. but it uses the same stats as pyromancy so theres no reason to not use it whenever. crystal chime is apparantly fine beyond the fact that you need to switch rings around constantly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea hexes and pyro need exactly the same stats so you can easily do both and swap off as needed. fire's more useful than dark on the whole but there's no reason not to pack both

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Im trying to go play Scholar of the first sin but
gently caress all these bumrushing hollows

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Here we go again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4o0use/hyperarmor_and_poise_testing_repeated_hits/

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

RabidWeasel posted:

You can't parry the onislayer attack, with the hyper armour it's really good now.

That makes it a really fantastic parry punish in the same vein as the various spin moves, then.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So basically poise is only in effect during weapon swings? That's what I'm getting from that writeup.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
TLDR: Game probably has DS1 poise, with working breaks. The only time you will see an effect is during a HA window, and there are other rules that govern whether you will even get HA in the first place for a given incoming attack. Please work together to test this instead of spending time telling each other poise doesn't exist, or you'll never know, because I'm out.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

That guy actually showed a significant difference between 16 and 21 poise, which is really interesting considering earlier testing. It feels like we're getting closer to deciphering a central game mechanic!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think at this point if I were a senior dev at From I'd change how poise worked with every patch just to mess w/ people

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Early on in The Great Poise Debate there were several people who reported anecdotes of poise allowing them to HA through attacks that would stagger them through HA at lower poise. They got shouted down pretty quick, probably because they didn't have video evidence. I haven't tested it personally but in my 200 or so hours I feel I've noticed HA working differently at different poise levels. It would also be quite logical. Hopefully some rigorous testing can prove it definitively.

If it is how poise works then Vit becomes a pretty solid stat, provided you use a weapon with access to hyper armor. My first play through was a medium-heavy armor build and I noticed a significant difference in the amount of damage I was taking compared to my light armor Pyro character that I played next (I did not use Flame Clutch Ring so it was purely due to the armor). Vit also gives significantly more physical defense per point (on the order of 3-4 times more) than any other stat and I believe a higher total elemental defense as well (if you add up how many points you get from all 4 elemental defenses). When you combine the increased Def from high Vit with heavy armor's increased percentage resist you can actually make pretty tanky dudes. Having effective Poise for trades on top of that is pretty effective, especially in PvE where the resist rings work at full effect.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 14, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, I know there's all kinds of different gear and builds to mess with in DS2 but the combat just feels off after playing so much DS3. Plus the stupid bumrushes everywhere.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh, I know there's all kinds of different gear and builds to mess with in DS2 but the combat just feels off after playing so much DS3. Plus the stupid bumrushes everywhere.

I'm having the reverse experience. DS3 to me feels like the enemies are playing a different game from the player. They zip around with crazy attacks where they get tons of hyper armor while you still sluggishly stand around and have the choice of swinging your sword like this or swinging your sword like that more slowly. There's a lot of weapons that just feel really slow and impractical for the pace of combat. I started another DS2 playthrough the other day and it just feels more natural and consistent, and the proper dual-wielding system and superior weapon balance means I can't go wrong with any weapon combo.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Did my first bit of pvp last night and did a few mad men invades. Got into one that was 3v1.... AND WON!

Did not expect at all to come out of that victorious, but it seems the host had a bit fewer health than I imagined he would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnI2NBk1kDg

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

This was already tested and found to be false.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Filthy Hans posted:

1) they already have but it only has helped some people so far
2) From hates farmers, but they may make some other way of getting them in some DLC, like when they added respawing claw guys in SotFS so you didn't have to keep using ascetics to farm their armor in the pirate cove boss fight

I don't really blame them for making the drop rates lovely because the number one way to make summoning even harder would be to make farming covenant items the most efficient way to get them. Granted ears are an outlier that could stand to be changed.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Gus Hobbleton posted:

This was already tested and found to be false.

I don't think this specific scenario was actually ever tested, he points out some similar theories and how their testing methodology wouldn't have caught this effect. I've also watched the DS3 reddit and various interest forums pretty hawkishly because what I enjoy is making good and fashionable builds and I've never seen this specific theory mentioned except early on by some people who hadn't tested it. They were generally ignored or disagreed with but no counter-evidence was provided.

However I may of course be wrong so if you had a link that would be great.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Oh no a stick lightly poked my butt, I can't help but stagger forwards with my 150 kilograms of armour that is made out of the scales of a mountain-sized dragon.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
e: taken down - try this one http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4gdpcs_nioh-trailer-e3-2016_videogames

New demo in August
btw this might get taken down fairly soon but there will be an official upload sometime today

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 14, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

MrLonghair posted:

Oh no a stick lightly poked my butt, I can't help but stagger forwards with my 150 kilograms of armour that is made out of the scales of a mountain-sized dragon.

I mean I know we are being hyperbolic and that getting stunlocked in PvE is super annoying but it's not completely outside the realm of believability. The lightest love taps you can receive in this game are probably from a 4-6 foot long 100+ pound giant rat or dog leaping at you. Even in full armor it's not insane for that to push you around a bit. I guess the dagger hollows or axe thralls might be wimpier but they're also weird preternatural undead that can cling to ceilings and poo poo for like decades so...

Edit: ^^ Lol I got halfway through and they took it down. Haters! Nioh looks pretty neat, I don't like the non-editable protagonist (big reason I don't like the Witcher much either) but I like the setting a lot and Koei-Tecmo/Team Ninja has made alright action games in the past so maybe it'll be good!

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 14, 2016

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

turtlecrunch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9sARx6F2_M

New demo in August
btw this might get taken down fairly soon but there will be an official upload sometime today

Already down, what was this??

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Ni-Oh - try this link http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4gdpcs_nioh-trailer-e3-2016_videogames

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Ah, the Alpha demo didn't really click with me, but I'd be up for trying another one if they've improved it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I didn't try the alpha yet because I am a bad/lazy person who subsists on trailers alone.

There's not been a peep out of FROM for E3, the 4gamer interview indicated they are working on 3 different games and the DS3 DLC so basically they have nothing ready to show yet. Both Bloodborne AND Dark Souls 3 got super early in-development leaks so they (Miyazaki) are probably pretty salty about that too.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
my first run through ds3, as a pyromancer, i took about 40-45 minutes to beat vordt, over more than a dozen attempts. just now, on my second char (thief), i beat him in one shot. feeling very smug right now.

(probably helped that his ai decided to take a fiesta midway through the fight & just let me wail on him while he caught his breath? no idea what was going on there...)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

After catching breath he might spit ice for a bit so just get more hits in, and you can roll into his scary rollspamming which is funny as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

I mean I know we are being hyperbolic and that getting stunlocked in PvE is super annoying but it's not completely outside the realm of believability. The lightest love taps you can receive in this game are probably from a 4-6 foot long 100+ pound giant rat or dog leaping at you. Even in full armor it's not insane for that to push you around a bit. I guess the dagger hollows or axe thralls might be wimpier but they're also weird preternatural undead that can cling to ceilings and poo poo for like decades so...

Edit: ^^ Lol I got halfway through and they took it down. Haters! Nioh looks pretty neat, I don't like the non-editable protagonist (big reason I don't like the Witcher much either) but I like the setting a lot and Koei-Tecmo/Team Ninja has made alright action games in the past so maybe it'll be good!

On the other end of this, though, we're playing characters that can wield stupidly impractical weapons, get kicked by giants and roll back up, cut/stab through armor thicker and stronger than stone and even come back to life. A 100lb+ rat isn't the really a crazy threat for someone like that. Thinking about it like that means it's not just mechanically annoying but also just weird, considering the characters we play deal with tons of stuff that normal humans could never hope to achieved.

Even though I tend to play light or medium and go roll heavy, DS3 generally seems to have less satisfying combat at points than 2 or BB.

Also, I spent a little time with the Nioh demo and it seemed like there could be a good game in there. Combat is generally fun and could probably use some tweaks. Lackluster designs for levels though. Don't really mind the protagonist not being editable, since I think sometimes it makes more sense for games to stick with one, but he does look a little goofy.