Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Andrast posted:

All mtg formats exist solely to sell cards

everything is made to sell money, smash the state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The only good card games are CaH and all its knockoffs. I can't get enough of matching a prompt card with the most outrageous response card in your hand. Can you believe Nana played "giant black dicks" for "things that are yummy?" LOL

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i like sealed, it gives me an excuse to buy more booster packs

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Draft based board games are an entirely different animal, most of them are entirely about the draft and as soon as you've finally put together a sweet looking deck the game is over and you count victory points. MTG draft is about drafting a deck and then playing it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matsuri posted:

I'm not a fan of drafting, no. That was kind of soured for me when I went to Kaladesh prerelease and went against a guy who pulled a Mana Crypt Invention when I barely pulled anything worthwhile. That and it just takes loving forever.

At least you can heckle people who take too long in EDH and make them as miserable as they make you. Only happened once in my experience though.

This happens maybe once a month at a store. Draft is the most skill intensive way to play the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also, if there is any format development actually cares about, it’s limited. Sets are literally designed with that in mind more than anything else.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AlternateNu posted:

Also, if there is any format development actually cares about, it’s limited. Sets are literally designed with that in mind more than anything else.

Which is a loving travesty.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sealed is the competitive format that most closely matches the casual kitchen table experience. Allegedly that's a much bigger driver of sales than tournament magic, and if that's the case it makes a lot of sense to prioritize making the limited environment fun (without neglecting competitive play too much).

I have no idea what they're trying to do with Masters sets though. I don't think Wizards really knows either.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Matsuri posted:

You remember what I said about overexaggerating the emotions of other people just for the sake of riling them up? That's dumb and it just makes you look dumb.

I just didn't enjoy it so I don't want to play it. Christ.

"i hate draft because i played a format that wasn't draft and i got unlucky and the other person made more money than me abloobloobloo" - a direct quote from you

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I can understand, if not condone disliking booster draft because of the variance and low power level. But I think we can all agree that if you don't love cube you're a bad person.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Attorney at Funk posted:

I can understand, if not condone disliking booster draft because of the variance and low power level. But I think we can all agree that if you don't love cube you're a bad person.

What if the cube is bad

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ShaneB posted:

What if the cube is bad

Then we have failed the cube.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ShaneB posted:

What if the cube is bad

Then you need to add more deserts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm would draft RIX over M25 every single time.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

ShaneB posted:

What if the cube is bad

Cube cannot fail. It can only be failed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mcmagic posted:

pricewise it's a no brainer

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

I'll give M25 a shot, but I suspect I'll agree

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

"i hate draft because i played a format that wasn't draft and i got unlucky and the other person made more money than me abloobloobloo" - a direct quote from you

That wasn't what I said at all, you histrionic fucknut. Stop that.

I dislike the random nature of limited in the sense that some players can pull supremely broken cards while others pull very little that can be playable. It puts players on uneven playing ground that owes more favor to luck than anything else, and I don't find that to be very enjoyable. Any other way this statement is twisted is objectively incorrect.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 8, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Matsuri posted:

That wasn't what I said at all, you histrionic fucknut. Stop that.

Pull up and don’t engage with lonegoat, you’re looking like kind of a butt atm

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Magic loving sucks, why does anyone play it?!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

80s James Hetfield posted:

new thread title

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I do find it weird that someone who prefers 100 card singleton formats is turned off by variance.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Gustav posted:

I do find it weird that someone who prefers 100 card singleton formats is turned off by variance.

hm yes constructed and limited are the same i see now

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Dominaria really needs to be good. Please for fucks sake let it be good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Dominaria really needs to be good. Please for fucks sake let it be good.

There really isn’t much reason to think it’ll be a considerable step beyond what Magic has been the last two or so years.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

There really isn’t much reason to think it’ll be a considerable step beyond what Magic has been the last two or so years.

The sets Richard Garfield has worked on tend to be really good, so there's reason to hope there

Also it's not an artifact-themed set whose design is led by Rosewater so that's a huge plus too

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't wait for Dominaria, i wonder what the themes will be

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean, enough has happened that its forced some change. Lets just hope its the change for the good of the game. Reminded me a post I saw today in response to a post being sad about not having slivers in the next set but being optimistic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/82qweu/no_slivers_in_dominaria_the_set/dvc5v2a/

slowhand88 posted:

Probably none of it, to be quite honest. Why is it so hard for people to realize that Dominaria is a 2018 Magic set and will be exactly like every other recent set?

You're going to get crappy removal, a few commander legendaries that are worthless in competitive formats, a few undercosted beaters with high powered ETB effects, a cycle of 10 two color signpost uncommons, and maybe two or three reprints that make you go "oh yeah I remember that card from that RTR sealed PTQ I went too, haha good times." And I dunno, maybe some checklands. Why the gently caress not?

People seem to be sold on this fantasy we're getting some classic Magic design throwback and that simply won't happen.

I assume everyone goes through some self reflection about being cynical all the time. I desperately want this next set to be good against all the good sense that says its not likely.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Gustav posted:

It's a different kind of variance. You still have full control over what you have available to put into the deck, including ways to manipulate your ability to get what you need via tutors and card draw. You are able to build a deck to be as efficient as it can possibly be within the constraints of your colors and strategies.

The singleton nature of the format means you have to have more than one way to win if you want a deck to be good, which makes for more interesting games to me (than in Standard or Modern, where you generally know how a game is likely to turn out based on your matchups and because most decks there are explicitly tuned to get the precise cards needed every game). The variance in this sense makes every game unique, which is what I assume people enjoy about Limited, while still letting you have control over what you bring to the table and not leaving that up to the chance of maybe pulling the right cards that can possibly work synergistically from packs or a cube.

tl;dr: it's less monotonous than 60 card constructed but more reliable and less luck based than limited

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 8, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

But its not a format about winning?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sickening posted:

But its not a format about winning?

ruining friendships is an alternate win condition

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

I can't wait for Dominaria, i wonder what the themes will be

Best guess at the moment is something revolving around legendaries given the tag line "Gather Legends". The return of a Grandeur maybe.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Matsuri posted:

It's a different kind of variance. You still have full control over what you have available to put into the deck, including ways to manipulate your ability to get what you need via tutors and card draw. You are able to build a deck to be as efficient as it can possibly be within the constraints of your colors and strategies.

The singleton nature of the format means you have to have more than one way to win if you want a deck to be good, which makes for more interesting games to me (than in Standard or Modern, where you generally know how a game is likely to turn out based on your matchups and because most decks there are explicitly tuned to get the precise cards needed every game). The variance in this sense makes every game unique, which is what I assume people enjoy about Limited, while still letting you have control over what you bring to the table and not leaving that up to the chance of maybe pulling the right cards that can possibly work synergistically from packs or a cube.

tl;dr: it's less monotonous than 60 card constructed but more reliable and less luck based than limited

sealed limited is hilariously luck based but draft limited is not. it's just a different skillset but you're still trying to make the best decision possible given incomplete information about what you're going to see in the future and incomplete (but not non-existent) information about what your opponents are doing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bring back snow lands (b/c apparently I need like 23 snow covered plains for my EDH deck.. That im gonna foil.)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Matsuri posted:

It puts players on uneven playing ground that owes more favor to luck than anything else, and I don't find that to be very enjoyable. Any other way this statement is twisted is objectively incorrect.

Same except for constructed and money instead of cards opened.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

sealed limited is hilariously luck based but draft limited is not. it's just a different skillset but you're still trying to make the best decision possible given incomplete information about what you're going to see in the future and incomplete (but not non-existent) information about what your opponents are doing.

Fair enough, I can respect that. I still don't enjoy it much, myself, but that is a good point.

suicidesteve posted:

Wizard poker is expensive :smith:

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 8, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tainen posted:

Best guess at the moment is something revolving around legendaries given the tag line "Gather Legends". The return of a Grandeur maybe.

Oh boy, a legendary theme would be great, a nice way to portray a lot of characters from Dominaria, espcially if the speculation about a new frame for legendary cards is accurate....

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, I don't mind sealed prerelease events, but your success in them is way more dependent on the cards you open compared to draft, where understanding the format and being able to make good decisions can go a long way to mitigating bad luck with the rares/mythics you open

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That seems like common sense, but didn't someone crunch the numbers and find that pros have a bigger edge in Sealed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Whenever I describe Modern Jund to people I tell them the deck's strategy is to win by drawing more dollars' worth of cards than their opponent.

odiv posted:

That seems like common sense, but didn't someone crunch the numbers and find that pros have a bigger edge in Sealed?

Sealed is still a really skill-testing format, and pros will do better than randos with the same pool. But a pro with a good pool is going to do overwhelmingly better than a pro with an average pool. It's a lot harder for this to happen in Draft because aside from your first-picks everyone's pulling from the same set of cards.