Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Stringent posted:

I had to get you an avatar, looking at that Trump thing was messing with me.

Wow, thanks! I didn't even know about the Trump thing, I had avatars turned off, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I just picked up a used Casio CDP100 and C#5 and C#7 stay depressed after pressing them, and A#6 only comes up halfway and stays there. There was another black key (I forget which) that stuck down after being pressed, but I wiggled it a bit and it works fine now. That didn't work for the other three. Is there a guide anywhere on fixing this?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

You might be able to find a service manual online. I was able to find a really comprehensive manual for my 1990s-era Yamaha keyboard recently. It's almost all in Japanese, but the diagrams still helped me a bit in figuring out the problem I was having.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jazz Marimba posted:

I just picked up a used Casio CDP100 and C#5 and C#7 stay depressed after pressing them, and A#6 only comes up halfway and stays there. There was another black key (I forget which) that stuck down after being pressed, but I wiggled it a bit and it works fine now. That didn't work for the other three. Is there a guide anywhere on fixing this?

If you don't mean physically depressed I've found this to be an issue with my usb 1.0 crapola alesis recital (an amazon special). Really good software don't lock keys, really bad software do like every hour or so. If its a physical issue, I'd personally hold down the offending keys, damp an old toothbrush a little (squeeze a wet wipe into the bristles) and dig in as deep under and around as you can. Then fire a compressed air can into them. They're not exactly something you want to unscrew and clean.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Oh, update: I fixed it. Took it apart and the rubber stoppers on the hammers were just twisted a little bit. Works great now!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jazz Marimba posted:

Oh, update: I fixed it. Took it apart and the rubber stoppers on the hammers were just twisted a little bit. Works great now!

You're a braver man than I am gunga din! I can't even clean my typing keyboard without screwing up a key or two.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is anybody absolutely in love with their weighted digital keyboard? I have a novation launchkey 49 midi controller which I use for production, but I'd love to upgrade that to a keyboard that feels like the real thing. My piano teacher suggested I rent an upright, so that I can get used to practicing on something that feels like a real piano (because it is one), but then I wouldn't be able to use that as a high end controller, which I'd love to do. I never much cared for the various pads and knobs that link directly into the DAW, I end up never using those for whatever reason. I mostly want a midi interface and keys / keybed that feel like the real deal.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is anybody absolutely in love with their weighted digital keyboard? I have a novation launchkey 49 midi controller which I use for production, but I'd love to upgrade that to a keyboard that feels like the real thing. My piano teacher suggested I rent an upright, so that I can get used to practicing on something that feels like a real piano (because it is one), but then I wouldn't be able to use that as a high end controller, which I'd love to do. I never much cared for the various pads and knobs that link directly into the DAW, I end up never using those for whatever reason. I mostly want a midi interface and keys / keybed that feel like the real deal.
I'd also like to know this. I've been eyeing this for awhile but simply haven't had the money for it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GB1NCB8

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my piano teacher in high school had a digital piano where the keys were weighted the same as a Steinway. it was great to play on

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

DreadCthulhu posted:

I don' t know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but awhile back I was looking at renting an upright, and at the local piano store, I tried out several of Yamaha's Clavinova line -- the CLPs are digital pianos, and the CVPs have a lot more digital tricks under their hood, like a wide variety instruments and ability record multitrack songs -- but the keyboards on both were identical, and felt amazing. They felt more like the Yamaha grand pianos they had there than the uprights, and price-wise they were pretty comparable to the uprights that I had originally been thinking of getting. I ended up renting one of the CVPs and it's been great -- does more than I would have asked an upright to do, and it feels great to play.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 5, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Something I've noticed is that if you're trying to learn classical past the most basic level you pretty much need an acoustic piano to practice on. Practicing on an acoustic just once a week made a difference for me, and now that I've got one at home the tone I'm producing on the grand at my lessons is like night and day different. Dunno if you're playing classical or not, but it's something to consider.

Ah, forgot to mention, I started on a Yamaha CLP.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

My challenge with a lot of the digital pianos, for my specific use case, is that they try to do all of this stuff I don't care much for. e.g. I don't need their speakers (I already have my production setup with studio monitors), I don't need their samples (I have plenty of great digital pianos), I don't need whatever iOS app du jour they're trying to give me, I just want the actual keyboard. It's possible however that you really can't treat a higher end digital piano like just a dumb MIDI controller, if you want to get the most out of its various "real key feel" simulation bells and whistles, and you have do treat it as an audio device, not just a MIDI sender.

Also, I'm pretty used to moving my keyboard around a lot on my desk, often just leaving it vertically sitting somewhere in the corner if I need to quickly make space. Not super likely to get that out of one of those 88 key monsters, they seem to want to be planted in place pretty firmly. At some point I'll probably want to invest in having a desk just for music and keep it totally separate from whatever else I'm doing, hmm.

The roland a-88 seems half decent actually, although I wonder if things have moved forward quite a bit since when it was released a good 6+ years ago: http://my.roland.com/products/a-88/

Arturia is also releasing MKII of their KeyLab soon, that could be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MW-oG3T_s0

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 5, 2019

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

https://old.reddit.com/r/piano/comments/c9ahie/deep_breaths/

this is great

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I think this guy owes me royalties?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I have a Kawai digital CA95 and it's almost indistinguishable from a grand in feel. It even has simulated let off. I think there is a lower model that has the same features with slightly different keys. They feel wayyyyyy better than any Yamaha digitals.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DreadCthulhu posted:

My Casio Privia has weighted keys, but honestly they're a little too heavy. Maybe it's like playing with a weighted bat though? Idk

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

My Casio Privia has weighted keys, but honestly they're a little too heavy. Maybe it's like playing with a weighted bat though? Idk

I have the same complaint about my Casio CDP-100, but also I got it in mint condition for 100$ so :shrug:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jazz Marimba posted:

I have the same complaint about my Casio CDP-100, but also I got it in mint condition for 100$ so :shrug:

I do think it's good for practicing but it wouldn't be my first choice to take to a show

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

On Terra Firma posted:

I have a Kawai digital CA95 and it's almost indistinguishable from a grand in feel. It even has simulated let off. I think there is a lower model that has the same features with slightly different keys. They feel wayyyyyy better than any Yamaha digitals.

I have a Kawai CA97 and I second this. Easily the best action on an electric that I've encountered and it does feel a lot like my acoustic grand. Sonically it's a different story obviously, but the touch is pretty drat close.

tanker
Apr 27, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

I don' t know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but awhile back I was looking at renting an upright, and at the local piano store, I tried out several of Yamaha's Clavinova line -- the CLPs are digital pianos, and the CVPs have a lot more digital tricks under their hood, like a wide variety instruments and ability record multitrack songs -- but the keyboards on both were identical, and felt amazing. They felt more like the Yamaha grand pianos they had there than the uprights, and price-wise they were pretty comparable to the uprights that I had originally been thinking of getting. I ended up renting one of the CVPs and it's been great -- does more than I would have asked an upright to do, and it feels great to play.

Following onto this, another good alternative are hybrid pianos - they have the actual upright hammer mechanism throughout, just no strings. So it's slightly smaller than a real upright and more importantly totally silent as right now I live in a flat. They're around the same price as a typical upright/clavinova. A teacher I had for a few months had one of these, and I eventually got one once I quickly outgrew a Yamaha Arius (and had the opportunity to use overtime + holiday pay upon quitting a job to get it!)

There are some "bugs" with the sensor though that happen very occasionally (a note will randomly play really loudly), apparently the really expensive models don't have this.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Is there any true method for playing SATB choir parts? Like, the tenor and bass get the left hand and the alto soprano the right, or do you just grab whatever is closest? I can hack my way through three parts but I just got a gig with a proper choir and I really need to spend some time in the woodshed (efficiently). Should I work on reading Christmas carols, for example? Or is it just "practice, motherfucker" and just read through the repertoire?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Depends on what kind of stuff the choir does. If it's a church choir that mostly just does traditional hymns, play a bunch and it'll click. If it has a more wide-ranging and difficult repertoire, I'm not sure there's a shortcut.

In general you can do SA right TB left with some crossover in the middle as convenient. But I think pretty much all pieces arranged for SATB have a separate piano accompaniment line.

If you're a rehearsal pianist, the biggest skills are incorporating direction on command, and reading the director's mind ("take it from the dah-dah part"). I guess sightreading isn't technically required, but I wouldn't want to go in without it. Ymmv but the repetiteurs I've known have always been very proficient -- when there are a couple dozen choir members plus the director, the accompaniment can't be the holdup, it has to just work.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 15, 2019

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Depends on what kind of stuff the choir does. If it's a church choir that mostly just does traditional hymns, play a bunch and it'll click. If it has a more wide-ranging and difficult repertoire, I'm not sure there's a shortcut.

In general you can do SA right TB left with some crossover in the middle as convenient. But I think pretty much all pieces arranged for SATB have a separate piano accompaniment line.

If you're a rehearsal pianist, the biggest skills are incorporating direction on command, and reading the director's mind ("take it from the dah-dah part"). I guess sightreading isn't technically required, but I wouldn't want to go in without it. Ymmv but the repetiteurs I've known have always been very proficient -- when there are a couple dozen choir members plus the director, the accompaniment can't be the holdup, it has to just work.

Nice one, thanks. I teach high school music, so really I just need to play parts during rehearsal (I hire a proper accompanist for concerts). Part of it too is just reading four staves. I guess I'll start reading carols and hymns (good idea!) in treble and bass clef to work on separating my hands and sprinkle in some of the rep here and there.

No idea how some maniacs read entire orchestral scores and transpose instruments on the spot :stare:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ymmv but high school is very unlikely to use hymns or too many religious carols unless it's a religious private school. Traditional hymns are easy mode, so you can do some to ramp up if you want, but I wouldn't focus on them too much since the typical high school repertoire has very different structure/arrangements.

I don't think you have to read four staves much . . . I'm not sure I'd have enough eyeballs. In general for high-school-level arrangements, the piano accompaniment line is explicit enough that they should be able to follow even if you aren't playing every note of their part (and often you are tbh).

I would take a look at a selection from Hal Leonard to get a better idea of the arrangements you'll be seeing. Will you also be picking the songs?

I'm a much better and more experienced choral singer than a pianist -- feel free to ask me anything!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Oh no, I meant playing through hymns for my own practice. I have the pieces for the year pretty much all picked out. In my experience anyway, all the choral music I've done is spread out across four staves. For the pieces I'm doing though, the piano accompaniment is its own part, unless it's a cappella, then the voices are condensed into a grand staff underneath for rehearsal.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Here's a Hal Leonard SATB version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" just to look at the sheet music. This is the type of sheet music I'm thinking of for a high school choir. You would largely just be playing the vocal lines, which are already just treble+bass. For the instrumental sections, you could really simplify if necessary.

There are some caveats (mainly classical) but in general I think 4 vocal staves would be unusual for that kind of thing. Can you post a sample page? I'm not sure if we're miscommunicating or if you're working from types of arrangements that I'm not used to?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I think the latter, HS choral music is almost always 4 staves for the tough stuff; maybe 2 staves for the very closely harmonized stuff. Reading from the accompaniment does not work for teaching parts, HS musicians are just not at a good enough level of singing independence yet.

My personal adaptation was to get real good at reading 2 vocal staves at a time, then use the following path, repeating each line as necessary:

1 part only, with piano
1 part with minimal piano - maybe one anchor note per measure
Another part, same process
Those two parts together with piano
Those two parts without piano
Third part alone with piano

Etc etc I think you get the idea. Honestly rather than improve my piano skills I worked ear training so we could lose rehearsal piano faster :o: reading 3+ staves suuuuuucks.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I've done two staff choral music for sure, but as a vocalist I'm not too keen on it because there's a lot of information packed too densely on the page, especially when you start dealing with divisi, and as a Tenor I'd rather not have to deal reading ledger lines all the time (because everything has to cater to me, obviously).

Here's some stuff I've done and plan on doing. If it's some ostinato figure in the accompaniment I'll try to learn it, even better if there are changes written above (hell yeah).

https://www.beckenhorstpress.com/content/pdf/BP2086-See-Amid-the-Winters-Snow-COMPLETE-v2-USE.pdf

https://d2fizz4npx5v6x.cloudfront.net/scores-png/1/10046047.png

These two have 8 part divisi and the last one starts with a separate line for the Baritone. :shepface: Luckily a cappella pieces have a piano reduction.

https://tisonfvhs.weebly.com/uploads/4/5/0/3/45033081/precious_lord.pdf

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57d3296d725e254062160bac/t/593700426b8f5bca3ad21ad9/1496776800765/Unclouded+Day.pdf

I also try to get out from behind the piano and work ear training with my guys as much as possible, not only because it makes them better musicians, but also because I'm a trash pianist.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I was reading too much into it. When you said SATB, I was assuming it was just 4-part, and from the question I was assuming it was on the basic side. Definitely agree when you get into SSAA (with or without guys) you're getting multiple staves because it's just too little space for four parts.

I definitely agree with Hawkperson's process, sorry I've been pretty useless

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

zenguitarman posted:

I also try to get out from behind the piano and work ear training with my guys as much as possible, not only because it makes them better musicians, but also because I'm a trash pianist.

:hf: Isn’t it nice when good teaching and less work for you intersect?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I was reading too much into it. When you said SATB, I was assuming it was just 4-part, and from the question I was assuming it was on the basic side. Definitely agree when you get into SSAA (with or without guys) you're getting multiple staves because it's just too little space for four parts.

I definitely agree with Hawkperson's process, sorry I've been pretty useless

Not at all! The question on how to divide your brain/hands remains the same either way, I think.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I'm working on a piece with three voices for the first time and it hurts my brain but it both feels and sounds really cool when it comes together

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Going back to "my piano teacher tells me I will suck at learning piano unless I get the real thing" for a sec, can something like a Roland FP 30 get me pretty far or is that a pretty crappy substitute? I don't quite have the $$$ to blow on 2-5 grand worth of ultimate digital piano, and my neighbors will murder me if I start hammering the real thing in the middle of the night in a studio apartment.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think you will be fine with even an entry level digital piano. As long as it has 88 keys and the weighting is good, you will be able to learn to play on it. I am by no means an expert player so take this with a grain of salt, but that's what I think.

I actually have basically the same question, phrased in a slightly different way. I have a CDP-120 digital piano that I've had for eight years. For awhile I was thinking about buying an acoustic piano, but then I realized I live in an apartment and move every 2-3 years and piano moving sucks, so I decided not to buy one.

But, I'm curious if a more expensive digital piano would be better in any noticeable way. Do expensive digital pianos have better keyboard-feel than entry-level ones? Is there any particular price point it levels off at? Maybe I should just buy a set of speakers? I'm finding it impossible to get good information about this online (unlike acoustic pianos, where there is tons of info), so I don't really know one way or another.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
For me it was 100% about feel. I went to three music stores and the one I kept thinking about and WANTING to go back and play was the CDP-S350. So I bought it, and it was a lot cheaper than the more expensive ones I was trying. It has built in speakers that I wasn't expecting much from, but they're fantastic. Both rear firing, and forward firing along the top of the keys. I'm not an expert in the slightest, but I went into it like buying a guitar, buy something that feels good and makes you want to play. It'll speak to you, and keep you coming back to it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I forgot until this night how cheap classical performances are! I just saw a really good performer play 3 Beethoven sonatas and it only cost me twenty bucks. I spend more on that in a week on coffee beans

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
So I have been getting back into piano recently, I started again because I wanted to learn Gymnopedie 1, it's been challenging but I've gotten the first page of it down pretty much. I also found an easy Philip Glass song that has been fun to learn, metamorphosis 1. However, I want to get a more defined progression in learning the piano, if that makes sense. I saw something about certain music pieces having grades. Is that a good progression to learn pieces in the grades and work my way up?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

zenguitarman posted:

Oh no, I meant playing through hymns for my own practice. I have the pieces for the year pretty much all picked out. In my experience anyway, all the choral music I've done is spread out across four staves. For the pieces I'm doing though, the piano accompaniment is its own part, unless it's a cappella, then the voices are condensed into a grand staff underneath for rehearsal.

this is like, not something i have ever encountered. the way i am familiar with seeing SATB is on a piano grand staff where the note stems for ST are pointed upwards, and the stems for AB are pointed downwards. this saves space while still being very clear to read

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It depends on genre and style, dense stuff like vocal jazz or modern pop is almost always two staves but anyone writing in the old classical style gives no fucks about making you read four or five staves: https://imslp.org/wiki/Ein_deutsches_Requiem,_Op.45_(Brahms,_Johannes)

edit: Bach B minor mass goes into eight loving staves near the end: https://imslp.org/wiki/Mass_in_B_minor%2C_BWV_232_(Bach%2C_Johann_Sebastian)

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

It depends on genre and style, dense stuff like vocal jazz or modern pop is almost always two staves but anyone writing in the old classical style gives no fucks about making you read four or five staves: https://imslp.org/wiki/Ein_deutsches_Requiem,_Op.45_(Brahms,_Johannes)

edit: Bach B minor mass goes into eight loving staves near the end: https://imslp.org/wiki/Mass_in_B_minor%2C_BWV_232_(Bach%2C_Johann_Sebastian)

I honestly don't understand how to politely respond to a post that is so confidently and egregiously wrong as this one