Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
The grinding and squealing is probably just the relief valve making noise, is there anything leaking or any other side effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

No leaking that I've seen. The steering begins to feel... stiffer as I approach full lock. If I'm maneuvering the Jeep on an incline and also turning sharply it feels especially sluggish and complains audibly (sort of groans?)

Edit: just checked PS fluid level and it's fine

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 17, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Wamsutta posted:

No leaking that I've seen. The steering begins to feel... stiffer as I approach full lock. If I'm maneuvering the Jeep on an incline and also turning sharply it feels especially sluggish and complains audibly (sort of groans?)

Edit: just checked PS fluid level and it's fine

Sounds normal to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doctor Zero posted:

Sounds normal to me.

Yeah, if my damned PS pump didn't groan all the time, I'd begin to wonder if it died

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Well, that owns, then. Thanks guys. I love my Jeep and it bums me out when I think something is wrong with it. Best second vehicle ever.

Side note: what's the best spray adhesive to use for re-affixing the headliner? Mine's drooping and I tried to fix it last fall but it fell down again after literally 24 hours, so I must have used a lovely adhesive.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

Side note: what's the best spray adhesive to use for re-affixing the headliner? Mine's drooping and I tried to fix it last fall but it fell down again after literally 24 hours, so I must have used a lovely adhesive.

It's been my experience that trying to adhere two different objects back together like that will only end up in frustration and non-attached objects.

Last time I actually fixed a drooping headliner, I pulled the whole thing out, ripped the old headliner off, cleaned off the cardboard underneath, bought new fabric, and used this stuff to attach it. Other times, I used these weird plastic tacks to hold it up.

Edit: to, two, too

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I find that 3M Trim Adhesive [most auto parts stores sell this in a black aerosol can] tends to work well provided you follow the prep instructions. Ie The surface you are bonding to is clean and isn't covered with dirt or old glue.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

I've seen a Blacked out JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara twice now that has lowrider wheels on it and appears to be lowered driving around my town but both times I've seen it I have been on my motorcycle and cannot get a picture.

Why...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

My EGR valve failed the other day on my JK. 52K miles and it goes. What gives??

Anyone else with a JK have this happen?

Cabledude posted:

I've seen a Blacked out JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara twice now that has lowrider wheels on it and appears to be lowered driving around my town but both times I've seen it I have been on my motorcycle and cannot get a picture.

Why...

Well when big parts catalogs like Quadratec have whole sections devoted to "blinging" your Jeep, what do you expect??

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Cabledude posted:

Why...

Saw a candy orange JK with black rimmmmz and low profile tires at the Auto Center in Tustin CA this morning. :doh: It starting to get pretty common in Los Angeles. About 50% stock, 25% lowered with low profile tires, and 25% lifted with 35-40" tires for the JK's I've seen rolling around lately.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I HOPE they are 2WD.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I HOPE they are 2WD.

I've seen Rubicons done like that :v:

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigKOfJustice posted:

WHY!:psyboom:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
An apartment complex I used to live at a few years ago had a grand cherokee that was lifted 3-4" and was running huge rims with rubber band tires :psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fordham posted:

An apartment complex I used to live at a few years ago had a grand cherokee that was lifted 3-4" and was running huge rims with rubber band tires :psyduck:

Somewhere here, there is a GOLD 1992 Jeep Cherokee with rimz and spinners, and its lowered....

I have never wanted to murder/maim/destroy more than ever in my life

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
dMastri is now the proud owner of my XJ.

Congrats and enjoy it.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Catalytic converter is glowing red hot.

Managed to nurse it back home, what's the first thing I do tomorrow?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boomerjinks posted:

Catalytic converter is glowing red hot.

Managed to nurse it back home, what's the first thing I do tomorrow?

Either it is plugged or you are pumping unburned fuel into it. Are all your sensors working? What vehicle are you driving and what year? Did it smell like rotting eggs or sulfur?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Thinking about getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee - probably a WJ - and need some advice. Is there a noticeable difference in gas mileage between the V6 and V8? If I want to slap a winch on the front, do I have to replace the bumper as well? Do they have any issues that I should pay extra special attention to, as I'll be buying used.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Welp, had a nice little fire start under the hood of my 95 XJ. Started with a check engine light, then speedo went out (no mileage gains on trip/odometer).

Smoke pouring out the right side of the hood and from the wheelwell, I disconnect the battery and find the DRL control module burned out and caused a short. If it would have been on fire for much longer, the main wiring harness would have been totally shot. As it was, only the wires going to the module itself got damaged. And thankfully I had just filled my washer fluid jug so that didn't melt!

Cut out the bad wiring, used some marettes & electrical tape to keep the loose ends sealed, ziploc bag, silicone sealant, and ty-raps to keep water out.

End result: Speedo/odo fine, lights fine (no DRLs, but I can just turn the lights on with the switch if I want), and a nice burned electrical smell permeating the interior :gonk:

First major thing I've had go wrong with the XJ, but so far there's no ill effects of my "repair" job.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Lost my first YJ to a clogged cat+oil leak. Burned up in less than 10 minutes.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

CommieGIR posted:

Either it is plugged or you are pumping unburned fuel into it. Are all your sensors working? What vehicle are you driving and what year? Did it smell like rotting eggs or sulfur?

90 YJ, 2.5L, so no sensors. Exhaust is coming out of the end pipe just fine, and no weird smell, just slight burning oil.

A spark plug not firing, maybe?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boomerjinks posted:

90 YJ, 2.5L, so no sensors. Exhaust is coming out of the end pipe just fine, and no weird smell, just slight burning oil.

A spark plug not firing, maybe?

Your cat is probably clogged, if you are in a state where they don't emissions test I'd say just cut it out and straight pipe it.

Do you have the Fuel Injected or Carbeurated model?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Emissions have to be checked regularly in Denver. I'm seeing cats for about $100 on quadratec, should I just pull and swap?

I've also had an exhaust leak for quite some time, maybe I should just replace my entire exhaust system, I can't imagine it will cost more than a few hundred dollars.

Wheat Thins
Dec 18, 2006
Oh boy, you've done it now.

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcZMWCHLedE

Glad I have an XJ, the 80's live on :cool:

1987:
"Cherokee has advantages you want to look into. 2 or 4 doors. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Available 4 liter engine."

1993:
"Compare and you'll see the difference! 2 or 4 doors. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Available 4 liter engine."

1997:
"Introducing the redesigned Jeep Cherokee. 2 or 4 doors. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Available 4 liter engine."

2001:
"Step in to 1987. 2 or 4 doors. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Available 4 liter engine."

XJ, you never evolved and that's why I love you, yet that is why you died.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boomerjinks posted:

Emissions have to be checked regularly in Denver. I'm seeing cats for about $100 on quadratec, should I just pull and swap?

I've also had an exhaust leak for quite some time, maybe I should just replace my entire exhaust system, I can't imagine it will cost more than a few hundred dollars.

Just do that cat for now, is the leak at your manifold or in your pipe? I'd offer you mine, but I haven't started the diesel swap for my current XJ. What part of Colorado are you in?

Wheat Thins posted:

1987:
"Cherokee has advantages you want to look into. 2 or 4 doors. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Available 4 liter engine."

1993:
"Compare and you'll see the difference! 2 or 4 doors. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Available 4 liter engine."

1997:
"Introducing the redesigned Jeep Cherokee. 2 or 4 doors. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Available 4 liter engine."

2001:
"Step in to 1987. 2 or 4 doors. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Available 4 liter engine."

XJ, you never evolved and that's why I love you, yet that is why you died.

Honestly, the sales were still good, Chrysler just wanted to get the Grand Cherokee more sales, so they scrapped the XJ. If they brought the XJ back as it was today, I bet people would buy one

What pissed me off is the XJ is one of the only vehicles made by an American company that actually fits ALL the descriptors of an SUV: It was sporty, VERY utilitarian, and an Awesome Vehicle

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 21, 2010

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Sharp_angus posted:

fire under hood

What the hell '95 XJ has DRLs?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
A Canadian one. 1990 and later they were mandatory I think.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
XJs love the snow

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

CommieGIR posted:

Just do that cat for now, is the leak at your manifold or in your pipe? I'd offer you mine, but I haven't started the diesel swap for my current XJ. What part of Colorado are you in?

Honestly, the sales were still good, Chrysler just wanted to get the Grand Cherokee more sales, so they scrapped the XJ. If they brought the XJ back as it was today, I bet people would buy one

What pissed me off is the XJ is one of the only vehicles made by an American company that actually fits ALL the descriptors of an SUV: It was sporty, VERY utilitarian, and an Awesome Vehicle

They weren't the most aerodynamical vehicles of all, what with being quite literally a large rectangular box, but they sure were (are) awesome vehicles. I wonder why in hell they replaced the 4.0 for the new V6. I know they're faster, but I doubt they'll be as long-lasting as the 4.0.

I'd be happy with a new Liberty but with a somewhat refined front end and as capable as the late XJ (make it lighter god damnit!)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Steiler Drep posted:

I wonder why in hell they replaced the 4.0 for the new V6.
Emissions, right?

quote:

I doubt they'll be as long-lasting as the 4.0.

Nobody knows how solid an engine is for a while. I hope the new Pentastar is a good one, though.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Boomerjinks posted:

I managed to piece together a header back exhaust for my XJ for 300$ before rebates. That included a new downpipe, o2 sensor, magnaflow cat and Dynomax Catback exhaust. The dynomax has a 75$ rebate which drops my part cost down to 225$. I did pay my buddys shop to put it on as I wanted some of it welded.

kimbo305 posted:

Nobody knows how solid an engine is for a while. I hope the new Pentastar is a good one, though.

The 3.8l that replaced the 4.0 is based on the 3.3l motor and I can tell you it is a tough little sob. I have a 3.3l in my sedan and it has put up with a ton more abuse then I thought it would. I don't think the 3.8l is a bad choice it should be a solid dependable motor.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 21, 2010

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Iron Squid posted:

Thinking about getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee - probably a WJ - and need some advice. Is there a noticeable difference in gas mileage between the V6 and V8?

I have an '00 I6 (no v's allowed) with about 137k on it, I get between 12.5 and 14mpg combined. I drive like an asshat as far as throttle control goes. I drive once or twice a week 50mi on the highway and then the rest is mostly city with some highway thrown about.

My roomie has an '03 H.O. v8 (265hp vs 235hp on the normal v8) with about 87k on it and she gets 14-15mpg combined. She isn't quite as bad as I am (though I'm just as bad in her's). She drives about half and half city/hw.

Her mom used to have a '98 zj I6 with around 130k or so and managed to get 15-17mpg. She wasn't very aggressive on the accelerator. I don't know where she was driving to and from regularly though.

I'd hazard a guess that the miliage difference won't be that big.

e; All vehicles were using 87oct fuel. The H.O. might do a bit better with 93 as it is "recommended, but not required" unlike the others, which I believe say "no no no no" to anything above 87.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 21, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Steiler Drep posted:

I'd be happy with a new Liberty but with a somewhat refined front end and as capable as the late XJ (make it lighter god damnit!)

What pissed me off what they offered the CRD with the liberty but not the XJ :argh:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

REDjackeT posted:

e; All vehicles were using 87oct fuel. The H.O. might do a bit better with 93 as it is "recommended, but not required" unlike the others, which I believe say "no no no no" to anything above 87.

The I6 takes 87 unless you are towing - then use the highest you can get.

Veeb0rg posted:

The 3.8l that replaced the 4.0 is based on the 3.3l motor and I can tell you it is a tough little sob. I have a 3.3l in my sedan and it has put up with a ton more abuse then I thought it would. I don't think the 3.8l is a bad choice it should be a solid dependable motor.

The current line of Jeep engines aren't terrible engines overall but they aren't as robust as the 4.0. Part of it is that aluminum just can't take the abuse cast iron can (the whole running without oil, coolant, etc). They also have issues like roasting valves on occasion due to factory defects. My brother lost a valve on his v8 because it wasn't rotating to clean itself. All 7 other cylinders were fine. This is not an uncommon failure. It was also $2000+ to fix (at the dealership - 20 hours of labor). The engines are a bitch to work on.

The 4.0 is a dirty bastard and just not as efficient as it needs to be to pass newer emissions standards. Not many engines match it's durability though.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

fordham posted:

What the hell '95 XJ has DRLs?

That's what I thought too, but I had them somehow v:shobon:v

Philip J Fry posted:

A Canadian one. 1990 and later they were mandatory I think.

Ah that'd make sense.

Though mine were kinda finnicky. Sometimes during the day they wouldn't go on, so I'd be driving with no headlights, and some days (I swear it was on dark, cloudy days only) they WOULD work. Never had a problem at night; never had lights going on/off without me wanting them to. The module was probably pooched for a long time before, hence the finnicky daytime performance.

e2: Friend of mine with the same year XJ had his module go, and it went in such a way that the headlights stayed on with highbeams after he'd shut the Jeep off. Woulda killed his battery if he didn't disconnect it. Cut out the module, everything went back to normal but no DRLs.

Sharp_angus fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 21, 2010

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cabledude posted:

Why...

Friend's fake Rubicon.

She's hot though so who cares.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

jonathan posted:

Friend's fake Rubicon.

I would do so many dirty things to that JK .

But ugh, ditch the low profile tires first though :goonsay: