Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite arsenal (ignoring stuff like the Chicago Typewriter) is: TMP w/ stock, Red9 w/ stock, Riot Gun, and Broken Butterfly. All of those can be fully upgraded in one playthrough and was what I used on my Pro run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I bought this during the Steam sale, but haven't played it really yet, but what's some good tips for Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platium Collection.

Play it safe. Big roller coasters cost a lot of money and generate little income compared to the smaller attractions like the merry-go-round.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
I'm about to start Far Cry 2, any tips?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Get a mod that slows down the checkpoint respawn rate. The game will be MUCH more fun.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Erdos posted:

Stealth is worthless until you get the camo suit, and even after that it's less "silently kill from a hidden position" and more "kill a dude or two, reposition, then kill the dudes looking for you.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Erdos posted:

- Do all the arms dealer missions that you can to unlock guns, do the cell tower assassination missions for some quick cash to buy guns.

- Don't waste money on vehicle repair upgrades, and don't try to buy every gun. Buy guns you like and buy their upgrades and bandoliers. Syringe upgrades may or may not be worth it depending on how much you get shot.

- The Primary/Secondary/Special crates are worth it to have a second set of weapons at your safehouses instead of having to travel to a gun shop. Likewise, take over as many safehouses as you can. They're usually only guarded by 2 or 3 guys, and you'll have it forever.

- Do the alternate buddy objectives on missions! They give you safehouse upgrades like ammo boxes and vehicles. Do Underground missions as soon as they crop up so you don't run out of malaria pills.

- The breach loader grenade launcher will make you feel like the Terminator. Fire won't spread in damp areas, but in dry areas with a lot of wind? Huge inferno. Enemies drop weapons that are crap, don't ever use enemy weapons, always go back to the store/safehouse to get a better gun.

- Stealth isn't really "Get in and out without people knowing you were ever there" so much as "Cause large explosions and shoot enemies in the back then disappear around a corner then pop out somewhere else and gank other people". Basically it's about breaking line of sight long enough to drop some guerrilla warfare moves.

Advice aside, anybody have any tips for Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines? Besides not playing Malkavian first time through. I, uh, figured that out already.

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 1, 2010

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

McKracken posted:

The first few games have significantly more tense moments in them than either RE4/5. Where's the fun/challenge in avoiding a certain enemy until you are so overpowered that one shot from any of your weapons will annihilate him. Once RE4 came around and you started tripping over grenades and ammunition it became nearly devoid of any tension, except for the sparse moments when you face difficult enemies.

Why bother playing the game if you're just going to avoid the difficult parts.
The only thing that made Resident Evil 2 difficult or scary was the terrible design that did not allow me to tilt my aim 20 degrees upward to shoot a slowly advancing zombie in the face instead of the chest at point-blank range.

Also, early Resident Evils were scary because you had to avoid baddies instead of taking them head-on, but if you want RE4 to be scary you should wade into masses of bad guys with guns blazing. Got it.

Morpheus posted:

Resident Evil was never, ever scary. Maybe as a child, yes. But the game has always been corny as hell with poor graphics and the only thing that made the game tense was the design choice to give you a peashooter and three bullets for every ten zombies.
I have a friend who insists that RE4 "isn't really a Resident Evil game, it's Leon's Big Adventure." My only retort thus far has been "Your mom was Leon's big adventure," perhaps you could provide me with a more constructive rebuttal?

al-azad posted:

If it's living, shoot/knife it. Birds, fish, and spiders all carry copious amounts of money, herbs, and ammo.
Spiders don't drop anything ever, at least not in the PS2 version I have.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Otherwise, the Striker and Red9 do the most damage. I used the Riot Gun instead of the Striker because it's better at long range, but the Striker has a lot more raw power.
I prefer the Striker over the Riot Gun simply because (ironically given its name) the Riot Gun is better at long range, and IME the purpose of the shotgun is those situations when you have four enemies cornering you and you need to knock all of them on their asses pronto.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any information on Megaman X through X6? Gonna work through them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bloodcider posted:

Advice aside, anybody have any tips for Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines? Besides not playing Malkavian first time through. I, uh, figured that out already.
Well, first of all, playing Malkavian at all is highly overrated. Yes, there are some really funny interesting moments. The rest of the time, your character's dialogue is the most faggy-rear end poetical Jhonen-Vasquez-writing-a-parody-of-goth-kids bullshit you have ever read. It's worth doing once if you're going to play several times.

There are a lot of curious elements to that game, but the ones that come to mind are:

--This isn't Fallout. You cannot make it through the game without firing a shot. There is a lot of inevitable combat, including boss battles.

--Guns don't become really viable as a combat style until much later in the game, at which point they totally own, especially if you have Auspex and/or Celerity. In the meantime, you want points in Brawl or Melee; preferably Melee unless you're a Gangrel. Guns do bashing damage to vampires and can be soaked by mortals, which is a serious limitation for a large part of the game when all you have are weak handguns or a shotgun, unless you blow all your XP on raising your Firearms skill. You want a weapon that does Killing damage--Gangrel claws or a Knife, early in the game.

--Of the social skills you can raise, Persuasion is the only one really worth it. It's worth it to get your Persuasion level up to 6; beyond that, the XP rewards aren't worth the XP you spend on raising it.

--Don't jump the gun on pumping points into your favourite skill; there are books throughout the game which can raise skills, but only up to a certain level, so if you've already blown the points on raising it, you miss some potential free XP.

Edit:

--The books thing I just mentioned, and the XP spent/XP earned ratio for the Persuasion options I mentioned? They're quirky and obtuse enough that it's worth consulting a FAQ. Don't feel guilty. GameFAQs has an "Experience Harvesting Guide" that's pretty good.

--Brujah or Ventrue are good options for a first-time playthrough.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 2, 2010

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Arcanum was re-released and I've been meaning to play it forever. I want to play a techie with high persuasion. Any good tips for stats and starting out? I have the unofficial patch but I’ve also heard of a tech patch and a no level cap patch but I’ve had no luck finding them, if anyone has some better links.

Spuzzz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 1, 2010

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

MMX: Revisit the stages after you've killed the first robot masters, there's plenty of hidden stuff. For example, defeating Launch Octopus floods Sting Chameleon's jungle, allowing you to retrieve an item from a supposedly bottomless pit. However, all of it is optional, and you'll get your gun upgrade after defeating Vile if you haven't got it already. The other mandatory upgrade is Dash from Chill Penguin's stage, and dash-jump and/or dash-walljump will allow you to reach most secrets.

hirvox fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2010

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Capsaicin posted:

You owe it to yourself to unlock Ryu's Hadouken in Megaman X.

Along the same lines, unlock Ryu's Shouryuken in Megaman X2.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Get a mod that slows down the checkpoint respawn rate. The game will be MUCH more fun.

No such thing.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Demon's Souls: No don't. Just put the game down, trust me I'm saving you a lot of time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

I have a friend who insists that RE4 "isn't really a Resident Evil game, it's Leon's Big Adventure." My only retort thus far has been "Your mom was Leon's big adventure," perhaps you could provide me with a more constructive rebuttal?
You could say, "Exactly! That's why it's the best one."

Capsaicin posted:

X1 is the best one, so at least try to beat that and don't get upset/surprised if the others don't live up as much.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Demon's Souls: No don't. Just put the game down, trust me I'm saving you a lot of time.

If you're allergic to good games or anything that requires actual effort, follow this advice.

Halloween Jack posted:

Just say if more people thought like him we'd all be playing derivatives of the same product. I'd rather have Resident Evil: Leon's Big Adventure than Resident Evil: Same poo poo, Different Backdrop.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
I haven't played in a bit but for fast leveling.

Warhammer Online

-Get to 25 (easy), go to Lands of the Dead.
-You get bolstered to 30 something so you can kill level 39-40 mobs and do the PQs (so you get xp like you're 40) and you get double (maybe triple) xp for being in a pvp area. I did 35-40 in like 5 hours of running around doing PQs (and getting good loot).

Your faction has to control land of the dead tho v0v.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Any tips for Supreme Ruler 2020?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Halloween Jack posted:

The only thing that made Resident Evil 2 difficult or scary was the terrible design that did not allow me to tilt my aim 20 degrees upward to shoot a slowly advancing zombie in the face instead of the chest at point-blank range.

More refined aiming wouldn't really mean much at all. The point is that it takes a couple of bullets to down a zombie, so don't go about killing every single enemy needlessly. A lot of people gripe about this but I fail to see how encouraging the player to be discriminate with ammo usage is terrible design. If you don't like that don't play survival horror games, load up Quake or Doom.

quote:

Also, early Resident Evils were scary because you had to avoid baddies instead of taking them head-on, but if you want RE4 to be scary you should wade into masses of bad guys with guns blazing. Got it.

Early RE games were tense because of how underpowered the player is compared to nearly every enemy you face, and the fact that you have limited resources. Even 1 or 2 zombies can damage you just as bad as a boss could if you're careless. In RE4/5 the player is dramatically more resilient and much more offensively capable. Additionally, the difficulty level of all but a few enemies was not scaled proportionately to the increase in player ability. So now that most enemies don't pose a significant threat, the only truly "scary" or tense moments are when you have to face an enemy that is yet stronger than your player.

RE4 really isn't a RE game. Of course it's got the same characters, story, etc, but that's it. I am not for a second condemning the design choice to give players free aim, over the shoulder camera, etc. However there is absolutely zero "survival horror" to be found. Ammo and healing items are found everywhere, enemies are easy to dispatch and prove to be of little threat.

The control mechanics introduced were a great idea. Removing fetch-quests was also a good idea. Removing any last shred of difficulty was a decisively poor one.

That's not to say it's a bad game, it's just not at all what a survival horror game is or should be.

e: RE5 takes the concept of increasing player ability while enemies maintain status quo to ridiculously high levels. Demon's Souls is more survival horror than RE4 or 5 were.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 1, 2010

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dr Snofeld posted:

The wiki says the best weapons are the Red9 (which I now have), Striker shotgun and semi-auto rifle. Is this true of the Wii version too? Is the TMP less poo poo in the Wii version than the PS2 version?

When fully upgraded the bolt action rifle does way more damage than the SAR, and takes up less space in your inventory. Its big drawback is it's slow as poo poo between shots, but you should only be using it at ultra-long range anyway. If you're a confident shot, I'd stick with the BAR.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Party Boat posted:

When fully upgraded the bolt action rifle does way more damage than the SAR, and takes up less space in your inventory. Its big drawback is it's slow as poo poo between shots, but you should only be using it at ultra-long range anyway. If you're a confident shot, I'd stick with the BAR.

I am most certainly not a confident shot. SAR it is.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

McKracken posted:

A lot of people gripe about this but I fail to see how encouraging the player to be discriminate with ammo usage is terrible design.

If getting six hours into the game before realizing that you were supposed to have been saving your ammo (because you've gotten to a boss that is impossible to beat with your current inventory) is their way of "encouraging" you to be more conservative, then I'm going to go out on a limb and call that bad design.

But that's just based on my personal RE1 experience. Unlike me, other people must have seen those zombies and realized that, despite the fact that the game gave you a gun, you weren't supposed to be actually, you know, shooting them with it. I'd be interested in knowing what "encouragement" I missed (short of loading an old save and replaying half the mansion) that would reinforce these claims of good design.

Edit: Knowing that you were supposed to be conservative with your ammo in the first three Resident Evil games fits the intent of this thread perfectly, but only because they were (in my opinion) badly designed.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 1, 2010

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BrewingTea posted:

I'd be interested in knowing what "encouragement" I missed (short of loading an old save and replaying half the mansion) that would reinforce these claims of good design.

I played RE1 for 15 minutes before realizing "Whoa, I better not waste ammo."

I was also 14 at the time. Wasn't that hard. Not all games are supposed to hand hold you. RE1 was legitimately tough, and you could end up in a situation where you had to backtrack or even restart. Its not bad design, not every game will guarantee the player victory regardless of their choices.

Sometimes when you play chess, you find yourself at a point where you will likely lose no matter what moves you make from that point on.

On topic, anyone have any general tips for Borderlands. Didn't see it in the Wiki. Its not too hard, but a "how to get the most out of it" would be nice. Is one class more fun than any others?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Erdos posted:

The game is way too easy. If you want to make it really loving challenging, consider the following:

Play on Infamous
Only pick up weapons enemies drop
Never do malaria medicine missions

I'm currently playing like this, and god drat it's the best playthrough I've had. On my first, normal playthrough, with all guns and stuff it just wasn't really exciting, you just drove around and shot people. This total hardcore mode means you'll be avoiding roads, staying in stealth (it does loving work) and planning your attacks.

My best mission was blowing up a caravan, I found some IED's, made my way to a checkpoint the convoy passes. Took out the guards silently, blocked the road with a few cars, and planted IED's under them. The convoy came, I blew it up in an awesome chain explosion, and one second later I was killed by a sniper. A buddy came to the rescue, saved me, gave me a pistol, and immediately was shot. I hunted down the sniper, came back to my buddy, and had to execute him, because I didn't have syrettes.

You just won't get those moments if you play normally. I thought the game was pretty mediocre and tedious, but that's because I wasn't playing it the right way for me.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Spuzzz posted:

Arcanum was re-released and I've been meaning to play it forever. I want to play a techie with high persuasion. Any good tips for stats and starting out? I have the unofficial patch but I’ve also heard of a tech patch and a no level cap patch but I’ve had no luck finding them, if anyone has some better links.

- Don't make the mistake of thinking that 'techie' means gunslinger. You can use firearms if you want, but melee is fine too. Balanced sword is one of the cheesiest weapons in the game, and it's easy to make/use.

- Buy tech manuals from Tarant, they basically let you fake the skill requirements for a lot of schematics.

- Make sure you have some kind of healer in your group, whether it's the Heal skill, someone with Herbalism knowledge, or a Magical healer. Also remember that tech heals generally don't work on Magic users, and vice versa. The Heal skill is the least powerful of the three options, but its strength is that it works on everyone.

- Try to get Apprentice/Expert/Master training for your skills asap, they make a big difference.

- Spoiler, but read it anyway: You get the best character in the game in Ashbury, but the very first time you enter the town you have to rescue them right away, or they're gone for good.

- Persuasion is pretty useful. If nothing else you can have an extra follower(expert perk, I think), and extort a lot of extra money out of people over time. Sometime it lets you skip completing quests altogether, which is pretty cool.

Personally I wouldn't bother with anything more than the unofficial megapatch. I'm almost always a supporter of level cap removers in crpg, but you really don't need one in this game. The level cap is 50 and you get plenty of points along the way.

Last but not least: play whatever type of character you want, but you might as well know from the start that magic is way, way, waaaaaay better than tech, at least from a power perspective. If you don't care about that sort of thing, that's great, just letting you know because some people prefer to use powerful character builds.

Fake edit: Oh yeah, you asked about stats too. Well, if you're focusing on persuasion you're going to need a lot of Charisma anyway, so you might as well pump it early. More Charisma equals more followers, which can only make things easier early on. Other than that it depends on the specific character build you're planning.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I posted it before, but nobody replied. Does anyone have anything for Silent Hill 3? I've played the first two games.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Lockback posted:

I played RE1 for 15 minutes before realizing "Whoa, I better not waste ammo."

I was also 14 at the time. Wasn't that hard. Not all games are supposed to hand hold you. RE1 was legitimately tough, and you could end up in a situation where you had to backtrack or even restart. Its not bad design, not every game will guarantee the player victory regardless of their choices.

Sometimes when you play chess, you find yourself at a point where you will likely lose no matter what moves you make from that point on.
Yeah, I was about 12 when I first played RE and I got brutalized on my first attempt and then I figured it out. It's really not hard, and granted how rare anything but handgun ammo is, they make it pretty evident not to waste it. Also I just looked at the manual for RE:3 and literally the first 5 words in the tips section are "Learn to use weapons efficiently..." Below that is "...RUN AWAY."

quote:

On topic, anyone have any general tips for Borderlands. Didn't see it in the Wiki. Its not too hard, but a "how to get the most out of it" would be nice. Is one class more fun than any others?

I just finished my playthrough. It's near impossible to miss any of the optional missions. Anytime they're available a Claptrap will message you telling you who to talk to.

A good sniper rifle is really helpful, as for the other guns you can't really go wrong, and since all the treasure is randomized you might get a really badass combat rifle and decide to use that prevalently instead of an SMG. Just have something for long distance and something with burst fire and a high fire rate.

A shotgun dropped by one the first major bosses is pretty useful for at least 75% of the game.

Everything else is pretty obvious, and it's really impossible to miss anything. I used the Siren for my playthrough, the abilities you can spend points on make her near invincible towards the end-game.

e:

Brewing Tea posted:

If getting six hours into the game before realizing that you were supposed to have been saving your ammo (because you've gotten to a boss that is impossible to beat with your current inventory) is their way of "encouraging" you to be more conservative, then I'm going to go out on a limb and call that bad design.
Not to be a dick, but there are loads of people who have completed the games, at least RE1-CV with either the knife only, or knife + handgun. That's obviously not how the game is meant to be played, but it's proof that the game is beatable, even if you have not a single bullet left.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 2, 2010

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

McKracken posted:

Not to be a dick, but there are loads of people who have completed the games, at least RE1-CV with either the knife only, or knife + handgun. That's obviously not how the game is meant to be played, but it's proof that the game is beatable, even if you have not a single bullet left.

And every person that has done this did so after mastering the game otherwise, not as something forced on them because they used too much ammo on regular zombies during their first playthrough. I had to abandon my first attempt at Code Veronica because I ran out of ammo during the Tyrant fight and, since it was my first time playing, I didn't know his patterns well enough to stab him to death. Brewing Tea is spot on with his criticism.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm not saying it's feasible for a first time playthrough, unless you want to reload your save 1000x times until you've perfected the technique, just that it is possible to finish the game in that manner.

But really, the whole point is that you should be well aware of the fact you need to conserve ammo and save very often if you're not very confident in your abilities. This just seems like basic game 101 stuff to me. Especially considering the game informs you of this in the manual.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Spuzzz posted:

You should be able to find the level cap remover here: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/section/arcanum in the Arcanum hacks section.

If you find you're leveling too slowly, try removing people from your party. You get more experience the more you actually hit the enemy. So if your party always kills enemies before they get close to you, you'll level up really slowly.

As a persuasive tech, you`ll probably want to opt for Firearms because it`ll keep you out of direct combat. So pump perception and intelligence, and you can let almost everything else slide except for charisma. The same goes for your skills--if you go with firearms, don`t put points into melee or dodge AT ALL, even from the get-go. The first few levels might be tough depending on your starting strength and endurance, but you`ll be glad for those extra points in the long run.

You should probably consider thievery, just because it makes the game way more convenient. You`ll need to pump your dexterity, but only invest points in pick locks and never in pickpockets or sneak.

As a tech, pump repair as soon as you can afford to. You need a high repair skill before hitting the Black Mountain Clan, unless you enjoy trekking back to town every ten minutes.

For tech schools, herbology and therapeutics are the least useful. Depending on whether you go the firearms or melee route, gun smithy or smithy will be the most useful. Unless you plan on playing as a throwing character, explosives and chemistry will not be as useful. Electricity, on the other hand, is goddamn awesome and every tech should take it. At least grab the first two schematics so you can get the Charged Rings as soon as possible.

As a tech character, consider carefully which other tech characters you take in your party. There’s no point taking a character if you specialize in both (or sometimes even one) of their disciplines. Their expertises are Jayna: Herbology & Therapeutics, Magnus: Smithy & Mechanics, Sebastian: Explosives & Electricity, Vollinger: Gun Smithy & Chemistry.

You should hang on to these items:
  • Camera (crash site)—don’t sell this to Ristezze in Shrouded Hills. If you did, steal or buy it back. You’ll get a better price and more experience from Maxim in Caladon.
  • Matchbook/passport (Crash site)
  • Letter to Jared (crash site)
  • Molochean Hand amulet (found on any number of random attackers). Just make sure you're wearing one before approaching T’sen-Ang.
  • Kathorn crystal
  • Mnura coin
  • Mithril ore (Save 2 sheets, use the rest for tech schematics)
  • Heartstone (Bedokaan village)
  • Shovel (keep one in a quickslot so it doesn’t take up space)
  • Saltpeter and charcoal, which are the two components in bullets. Saltpeter is sold by general merchants, junk dealers and herbologists. Charcoal can usually be found in trashcans and scrap heaps.
  • Hadrian’s artifacts (you encounter them as part of the main quest, but make sure you take all three and keep them)

When removing Lucan from the bridge outside Shrouded Hills, be sure to “persuade” him you’re in the Thieves Underground (kill him afterward if you want). That will give you an in with the thieves in Tarant.

When you’re in Dernholm, make sure to ask Lianna del Par about her father. Do this before visiting the Isle of Despair.

Complete the Garringsburg heist quest before completing Dolores Beston’s/Madame Toussaud’s quest. You’ll get a better reward. And always side with Toussaud.

While in Tarant, be sure to talk to Thom Grak in the middle of Tarant, then talk to de Cesare in the Gentleman’s Club. It’s optional, but sparks one of the more interesting quests in the game.

Speak to Erlich in the Wheel clan, and be sure to acquire the schematic for the key from him. This is what you need the mithril/heartstone for.

When you talk to Randver in the Wheel clan, engage him about Dwarven philosophy. He’ll tip his hand. Be sure to ask him about Lorek. Ask Loghaire about Lorek as well. This requires both a high intelligence and a high persuasion score.

Selane posted:

- Don't make the mistake of thinking that 'techie' means gunslinger. You can use firearms if you want, but melee is fine too. Balanced sword is one of the cheesiest weapons in the game, and it's easy to make/use.

That`s really bad advice. The balanced sword isn`t something you can face high-level enemies with. Any kind of molten or rock enemy is going to tear through that sword in minutes, and it`s not going to hold up to void monsters. And unless you pump your strength (which techs should rarely bother with) your melee attacks won`t do a whole lot of damage at higher levels.

If he`s playing a persuasive tech, he can get away with going the melee route provided he has enough tanks in his party. But even then, it just makes more sense for a persuasive tech to go the firearms route.

Selane posted:

that magic is way, way, waaaaaay better than tech, at least from a power perspective. If you don't care about that sort of thing, that's great, just letting you know because some people prefer to use powerful character builds.

Eh, that`s not true. Both playing styles are pretty valid. Techs get really powerful at high levels, especially with firearms.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Minor hint for RE4:

After a certain point (nightfall) sometimes enemies will have their heads burst when you kill them and a parasite comes out and continues to attack you. The game seems to indicate that headshots are what triggers the activation, but in reality, if a parasite is going to come out, it will do so regardless of how you kill the enemy. Always go for headshots on zombies, as they will stumble, or if you're using the fully upgraded default handgun, get critical hits (instant kills) about 75% of the time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Zushio posted:

Minor hint for RE4:

After a certain point (nightfall) sometimes enemies will have their heads burst when you kill them and a parasite comes out and continues to attack you. The game seems to indicate that headshots are what triggers the activation, but in reality, if a parasite is going to come out, it will do so regardless of how you kill the enemy.

Actually, while this is mostly true, the chance of seeing a plaga is highest if you shoot them in the head, and goes down the farther down you shoot. If you shoot everyone in the knees, you'll rarely see plagas.

Of course, they aren't that dangerous, and I shot everyone in the head anyway.

e. vv True, so my next point is:

If it looks like a trap, that's because it is. Save a flash grenade or two for these traps.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 2, 2010

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

Actually, while this is mostly true, the chance of seeing a plaga is highest if you shoot them in the head, and goes down the farther down you shoot. If you shoot everyone in the knees, you'll rarely see plagas.

Of course, they aren't that dangerous, and I shot everyone in the head anyway.

Also you can one hit kill all plaga in the area with a flash grenade (comes in handy in a certain part of the castle).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a point to incendiary grenades in RE4? I would rather have a large explosion or instant kill flash, than having a spark last one second.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is there a point to incendiary grenades in RE4? I would rather have a large explosion or instant kill flash, than having a spark last one second.

Free money.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Scalding Coffee posted:

There are a couple of areas where they're useful, the lift ride in the final area of the castle comes to mind but for the most part you're better off using something else. If you find yourself not using any at all just sell them.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The crows are somewhat loaded in RE4 and flash grenades will also kill all crows in a large area. If you have a spare flash grenade when you get to a certain bit in the game, you'll know what to do.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Lockback posted:

Most mission areas, not the hubs, have a Claptrap in them that you can help out to get an inventory upgrade. If you are sent to an area that has 2 big sections and only one has a mission in it, there is likely to be a Claptrap in the other one.

Also, when you are given inventory SDUs you have to use them to increase your inventory. They aren't automatic like the ammo ones.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Actually, there is one way to prevent plaga from coming out with 100% certainty: The suplex. I believe it only works on the monk-type enemies, but if you shoot 'em in the knee and finish them with a suplex while they're down they will never spawn a plaga. On the red-robed ones who normally always have plaga and are dramatically tougher, this can be a lifesaver.

As for incendiary grenades, they sell pretty poorly but do decent damage. My advice is don't be shy with them. Use them to take out small groups or do above-average damage to bigger foes - you can basically think of them as an alternative to shotgun shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

I like them because timing's not that important; you can toss them and stupid enemies will run right into the flames. I like to use them against shield-bearers; when they fall down on their faces you can headshot them.

Now that I think about it, I just started replaying RE4 after a long layoff and I realize I was never very good with the knife. I usually did headshot+kick instead of stabface+kick and found I was able to conserve ammo well enough. Anyone here a knife wizard?