Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Marco Minneman's Schattenspiel album (2016) is really fun. The music is great, the concepts are weird enough but not too much, it's wanky but the music is kept at the forefront.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
King Crimson are embarking on a European tour next year. Hoping to catch them in London.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If I only really know their 70's and 80's stuff, but I really like it, is it worth making a big effort to see modern King Crimson?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

il_cornuto posted:

If I only really know their 70's and 80's stuff, but I really like it, is it worth making a big effort to see modern King Crimson?

Yes. Absolutely.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

Dear god yes.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Do you want to be a prog zero or a prog hero?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Well if there's still tickets left by the time I can get them I'll probably try and get to the Cardiff show then, thanks for the encouragement!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Maybe the topic passed but Steven Wilson is responsible for Heartattack In A Layby which might be some of the best lyrics put to tape and I will fight anyone who disagrees, but very gently so as to keep with the vibe of the track

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

tote up a bags posted:

Maybe the topic passed but Steven Wilson is responsible for Heartattack In A Layby which might be some of the best lyrics put to tape and I will fight anyone who disagrees, but very gently so as to keep with the vibe of the track

I think he's generally pretty decent with - to quote his myspace(!) - "the sadness of things". Happy Returns is a more recent example of nailing a mood with natural/conversational lyrics. He seems to struggle lyrically when he tries to be philosophical and have a message rather than capturing a mood or a moment.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i just found out psychotiz waltz reunited a few years ago now and are writing a fifth album. this makes me happy. i don't see them discussed much but i've never found anything quite like them.

ashes remains my favourite song of theirs. the lyrics might not make a lot of sense if one considers them in totum but they are evocative and the melodies are great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IppNvtzx4I8

edit: though on reflection given they reunited seven years ago and said they were working on a new album three or four years ago, this potential new album might be in the same vein as shadow gallery's new album, or the one green carnation said they were writing when they reunited a few years ago, there only as a mirage designed to taunt me.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 18, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neurosis posted:

edit: though on reflection given they reunited seven years ago and said they were working on a new album three or four years ago, this potential new album might be in the same vein as shadow gallery's new album, or the one green carnation said they were writing when they reunited a few years ago, there only as a mirage designed to taunt me.
There's always hope - The Avalanches put out their first album in 2000 and their second album in 2016 while making vague noises about it in all the interim years.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

My current Jam is progressive folk from the 70s, like Spirogyra, Hölderlin and Comus (their reunion album is incredible, please buy it so they make another). Any recommendations, progthread?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's always hope - The Avalanches put out their first album in 2000 and their second album in 2016 while making vague noises about it in all the interim years.
And poo poo, look at My Bloody Valentine. Their 2013 album actually used and polished up half-finished recordings from 1996/1997.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013

Cymbal Monkey posted:

My current Jam is progressive folk from the 70s, like Spirogyra, Hölderlin and Comus (their reunion album is incredible, please buy it so they make another). Any recommendations, progthread?

I think Renaissance and Gentle Giant fit in nicely there.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Maybe Sigur Rós?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Forest are maybe my favorite prog-folk band. Their sound is somewhere in between Incredible String Band and Comus—not nearly as dark as Comus, but similarly intense at times. Full Circle is a stunning album, and I really like about half of their first album as well.

I'd also highly recommend Gryphon's first three albums. Red Queen to Gryphon Three is a minor classic, but my favorite thing by them is probably their version of The Unquiet Grave off their first album.

Strawbs I wish I could give a higher recommendation to, but I find them very inconsistent and generally not that great outside of a few songs that are absolutely loving fantastic. Best album is probably From the Witchwood, which is right as they were transitioning from folk to progressive rock, and features Rick Wakeman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfANIXC-3-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69wZpcPtMIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XlT1jlD-xU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Bröselmaschine, Emma Myldenberger , Emtidi, C.O.B. maybe, Ougenweide, Mark Fry, Gila - Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee(not their earlier albums). Not from the 70s but I find there's a lot of folky but not really classifiable bands from the former Soviet bloc that might interest you, like Jablkon, Księżyc and Kazma-Kazma.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What's the consensus on Zappa's Thing-Fish? Genius? Madness? Garbage? All of the above?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Seventh Arrow posted:

What's the consensus on Zappa's Thing-Fish? Genius? Madness? Garbage? All of the above?

It's genius because everything Zappa did was some brand of genius, but it is also most definitely garbage.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zappa's supposed satire of [homosexuals, blacks, jews, women, insert thing here] is basically indistinguishable from a recitation or celebration of American culture's stereotypes of it. I like a bunch of the stuff he's done over the years (Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Peaches en Regalia, Billy the Mountain, Montana, Florentine Pogen, Inca Roads, Watermelon in Easter Hay, etc.) but there's so much of his stuff that's indistinguishable lyrically from some alt-right edgelord shithole and indistinguishable musically from itself (listening to the Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar records shows that his method of "xenochrony" basically meant that no matter what song he was playing, he'd make the band drop out of the song into the patented Zappa vamp while he noodled the solo and then would go back into the song proper) that really, 99% of people interested in Zappa need no more than a double-disc live album and maybe a Baby Snakes DVD to get all they need (and more) of the dude.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Strawbs is great. They're more folk rock than prog rock, but they did dabble quite a bit in prog in the 70s. A lot of people here may not like their less proggy stuff, but personally I like most of what they did. Check out Strawbs (1969), Dragonfly (1970), From the Witchwood (1971), Grave New World (1972), Bursting at the Seams (1973) Hero and Heroine (1974), Ghosts (1975) and Nomadness (1975). Those are probably their best albums. The Dave Cousins solo album "Two Weeks Last Summer" (1972) is also quite good (and features Rick Wakeman as well). Like most bands of that era, they kind of lost the spark in the late 70s so I'm not too familiar with the stuff after those. Their first album, "All Our Own Work" originally was released in 1966 when Sandy Denny was in the band. She's probably best known as the singer on Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore" and also the lead singer of Fairport Convention. That early stuff is pure folk and not proggy at all, but I like it.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 20, 2017

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Lots of good folk prog recommendations to check out already but I'm gonna add Malicorne to the pile.
I like Le Bestiaire and Balançoire En Feu a lot, their earlier stuff is even more folky/acoustic.

hexwren posted:

Zappa's supposed satire of [homosexuals, blacks, jews, women, insert thing here] is basically indistinguishable from a recitation or celebration of American culture's stereotypes of it. I like a bunch of the stuff he's done over the years (Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Peaches en Regalia, Billy the Mountain, Montana, Florentine Pogen, Inca Roads, Watermelon in Easter Hay, etc.) but there's so much of his stuff that's indistinguishable lyrically from some alt-right edgelord shithole and indistinguishable musically from itself (listening to the Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar records shows that his method of "xenochrony" basically meant that no matter what song he was playing, he'd make the band drop out of the song into the patented Zappa vamp while he noodled the solo and then would go back into the song proper) that really, 99% of people interested in Zappa need no more than a double-disc live album and maybe a Baby Snakes DVD to get all they need (and more) of the dude.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I don't recommend reading The Real Frank Zappa Book. While the first half was fine if a bit shallow the second half deteriorated into political rants and dunking on people he didn't like... ugh.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

hexwren posted:

It's hard to remove "edgelord shithole" from the cultural context of everything that was happening in the dialogue of the '70s and '80s around the Moral Majority, the Parents Music Resource Center, etc. and I understand where he was coming from, but living on Long Island I've definitely seen a pretty distinct correlation between "Zappa fan" and "follows Congressman Peter King on Facebook".

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

Strawbs is great. They're more folk rock than prog rock, but they did dabble quite a bit in prog in the 70s. A lot of people here may not like their less proggy stuff, but personally I like most of what they did. Check out Strawbs (1969), Dragonfly (1970), From the Witchwood (1971), Grave New World (1972), Bursting at the Seams (1973) Hero and Heroine (1974), Ghosts (1975) and Nomadness (1975). Those are probably their best albums. The Dave Cousins solo album "Two Weeks Last Summer" (1972) is also quite good (and features Rick Wakeman as well). Like most bands of that era, they kind of lost the spark in the late 70s so I'm not too familiar with the stuff after those. Their first album, "All Our Own Work" originally was released in 1966 when Sandy Denny was in the band. She's probably best known as the singer on Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore" and also the lead singer of Fairport Convention. That early stuff is pure folk and not proggy at all, but I like it.

The Hangman and the Papist is among my favorite ever songs. And if it weren't for the sound of Cousins' voice, I'd forget that Benedictus is by the same group and released just a few months apart.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Zappa was a middle school edge lord who happened to be one of the most important composers of the 20th century, not unlike his hero Stravinsky. I adore Zappa, but yeah he was trash.

Thanks for the prog folk recommendations, everyone, I'm gonna crack into some of those tonight.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've liked Zappa since I was a teenager, but there's no denying that his stuff can be hit and miss. He could write interesting lyrics sometimes though, like with The Torture Never Stops.

I re-listened to Joe's Garage recently and it's interesting how the first 1/3 is great - the songs are catchy and fun, the playing is great. The second 1/3 is very middling to meh, the story starts losing its focus and the songs aren't as interesting. And then the last 1/3 completely runs out of steam and dies in the middle of the road. It doesn't help that the whole "central scrutinizer" routine seems to be completely ad-libbed either.

Hot Rats, though, there was a great album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Joe's Garage should be so much better than it is. Every time it's getting enjoyable, it actively works to undo it. I know that's kinda Zappa's "thing", but still.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

It's hard to remove "edgelord shithole" from the cultural context of everything that was happening in the dialogue of the '70s and '80s around the Moral Majority, the Parents Music Resource Center, etc. and I understand where he was coming from, but living on Long Island I've definitely seen a pretty distinct correlation between "Zappa fan" and "follows Congressman Peter King on Facebook".

I respect the whole PMRC thing, but that doesn't really have much to do with what I'm talking about here - Bobby Brown, Mudd Club and Flakes aren't exactly a victory for culture.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

I haven't heard much of Strawbs, but Grave New World's title track may be one of the most awesomely, hilariously overblown songs in the genre and I love it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Joe's Garage should be so much better than it is. Every time it's getting enjoyable, it actively works to undo it. I know that's kinda Zappa's "thing", but still.

Well I don't think there are many concept albums that aren't insufferable in one way or another. Even Sgt Pepper's is only kinda-sorta a concept album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

Well I don't think there are many concept albums that aren't insufferable in one way or another. Even Sgt Pepper's is only kinda-sorta a concept album.

I guess someone hasn't heard Operation:Mindcrime 2.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Well now that there's two Queensryches (or something) it's hard to tell what's what.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Can you guys stop using the word edge lord, you can just say the guy had stupid libertarian ideas and it's much better to read

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Well now that there's two Queensryches (or something) it's hard to tell what's what.

:eng101: They settled that. Geoff Tate gets the name "Operation: Mindcrime" and the rights to play Mindcrime in its entirety, and the rest get the name Queensryche.

Also, O:M II is garbage

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was bored of Joe's Garage by the time the first disc was over. drat those songs go on for too long. I'm gonna give Zappa one more try but if that doesn't sell me on him then I'll walk away and never return.

Also gave this band Continuum a shot. This Autumn Grass was pretty good, if you like very folky instrumental prog.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DoubleCakes posted:

I was bored of Joe's Garage by the time the first disc was over. drat those songs go on for too long. I'm gonna give Zappa one more try but if that doesn't sell me on him then I'll walk away and never return.

Also gave this band Continuum a shot. This Autumn Grass was pretty good, if you like very folky instrumental prog.

Joe's Garage is a horrible first Zappa album (also not a very good album in general). If you're willing to dive in the deep end I think simply chronological is a good way to explore Zappa, but if you just want a single record to sell you on Zappa, either the Roxy and Elsewhere live album or the recent video release of the concert are good. Ruth Underwood lineup is best lineup.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It depends on one's attitude to his particular brand of humour, I think. If you have a high tolerance for it, then Zappa in New York is a good choice as is Apostrophe and One Size Fits All. If not, then Hot Rats and/or The Grand Wazoo are safe bets.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Roxy, Hot Rats, and One Size Fits All are all extremely solid. The one caveat is the last track of Roxy ("Be-bop Tango"), but even that is mildly amusing for a while I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
As huge a Zappa fan as I am, I'm not sure there's a single album of his that I love in its entirety. The closest is probably One Size Fits All. Joe's Garage was never one of my favorites, probably even less so these days, though I'm still immature enough to find Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? hilarious.

I consider the section of You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Vol. 2 beginning with Inca Roads and ending with Pygmy Twylyte as the most essential Zappa that exists. Just a perfect half hour of the most exciting performances of his most exciting material, and I'd recommend it to anyone with no reservations. It all comes crashing down with the overlong, barely funny Room Service, and the rest of the album is pretty hit or miss, but holy poo poo that section is incredible.

Be-Bop Tango is pretty fun in the context of the concert film, but it really doesn't work on an album, and who knows why it ended up there instead of RDNZL or something.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 22, 2017