Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Lawnie posted:

Mom just ordered me am Easton S15 for my birthday. Got it for $100 shipped on hockeymonkey. Seriously can't wait for that to arrive and get on the ice with it, it'll be a major step up from my poo poo Easton wood stick that's cracking badly at the heel

Welcome to the higher stick bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

D C posted:

Welcome to the higher stick bracket.

I'm probably gonna cry when this one breaks and I can't get another $200 stick for half off :negative:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Lawnie posted:

I'm probably gonna cry when this one breaks and I can't get another $200 stick for half off :negative:

Check out hockeymonkey.. they have 2-4 packs of sticks on sale sometimes.. You have to spend like $300-$400 but you get a bunch of sticks, even better if you find people to go in on it with you.

poser fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 26, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Stick talk!

Apologies if this has already been posted (I kinda zoned out during the SoCal hockeychat).

Has anyone else played with this yet?

Reebok Stick Selector

The best part is that for some models they give you blade equivalents for other players, so you're not necessarily stuck buying a Reebok stick.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

Check out hockeymonkey.. they have 2-4 backs of sticks on sale sometimes.. You have to spend like $300-$400 but you get a bunch of sticks, even better if you find people to go in on it with you.

This. And the Clearance section. I got the Kronik I mentioned earlier for $99 on Hockeymonkey, IIRC.

Seriously. A 420g stick for $99.

poo poo is real.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone ever roll the dice on Hockey Monkey's mystery stick packs?

I'm thinking of getting a 2-fer of intermediates for $111 shipped with their black Friday coupon code.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 27, 2011

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone ever roll the dice on Hockey Monkey's mystery stick packs?

I'm thinking of getting a 2-fee of intermediates for $111 shipped with their black Friday coupon code.

You'll get two sticks with roughly that value with the least popular curves/flexes

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
So excited for playoffs. Will be first playoffs ever for this team which started the season 0-4-2 and is now 9-7-2. I think we have a real shot at winning the cup our first season in this league. It's all 'cus I'm such a great captain / motivational speaker :smug:. Though having no goalie for the entire first period may have worked to make us actually skate hard for once.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Has anyone else played with this yet?

Reebok Stick Selector

The best part is that for some models they give you blade equivalents for other players, so you're not necessarily stuck buying a Reebok stick.

Just did it and had Crosby talk to me. "The best for you is the 8K."

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
So this was fun game...

The "you must control your stick at all times" is kinda bullshit... I (#47) was called for penalties twice after I hit someone with my stick after I was drilled from behind and was falling to the ice... A bunch of our calls were reactions to something they did but we got called for it..

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

And the slash?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

And the slash?

BS call, guy popped out of a hidden elevator under one of the faceoff circles and started shredding Paradise City.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

10 seconds into the first period, too, hahaha. Nice.

poser posted:

A bunch of our calls were reactions to something they did but we got called for it..

Yes, that's usually how it works.

*poser gets slashed*
*poser and team shout at ref for call*
*ref looks towards poser and other player in time to see poser two-hand chop other player across neck*
"But he started it!"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaake meeeeeeeeeeeeeee hooooooooooooooooome yeah yeah!

2 minutes

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Makes me shudder to think what the hooking calls were all about.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

poser posted:

The "you must control your stick at all times" is kinda bullshit...

2 hands on the stick, stick on the ice... you'd be surprised how that eliminates most calls from this AND makes your stick 99% more useful!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, we had the undefeated team on the ropes last night. 5-5 halfway through the third, and we had the lead a couple times earlier in the game. 3 stupid goals late in the game and we lost 8-5. :sigh:

They kept matching me up with a guy who was wearing a jersey from a league up. He was so goddamn fast, I couldn't do anything all night. I had 20 feet on him on a breakaway and easily caught me. Frustrating.

Anyway, we have Saturday and Sunday night games this coming weekend. Nothing owns more than a weekend of hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 28, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

2 hands on the stick, stick on the ice... you'd be surprised how that eliminates most calls from this AND makes your stick 99% more useful!
Yeah, there's a guy on my old rookie league team that'd infuriate me so much cause he'd run around with one hand on the stick and the stick off the ice half the time. So many times I'd see guys make a pass to him that he wasn't prepared for and would gently caress it up.

Just keep your damned stick on the ice and good things can happen, especially if you're anywhere near the net.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

So this was fun game...

Wow, and Harry Potter wasn't calling that game. That looks like a typical Harry Potter penalty sheet.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
HZ, that's crazy man -- we actually beat the only undefeated team last night in the last game of the regular season, and we won 8-5. 80% of their team is from the league higher than ours, I think it helped that they played the game right before ours too. I was the only person on the team who didn't score a goal, but that's ok :unsmith:

That means we were put into the "middle" playoff bracket and get to play again tonight. Gotta love back-to-backs!

Similarly, I need to work on my acceleration. Is there a definitive "best" way accelerate? I try to get low and really push my legs out backwards with long strides, and obviously do that as fast as I can. Would shorter, bursty type movements work better? Who can know all of this?

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
Broke my one100 at a hockey tournament on Friday.

11/25/11 Never forget

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

real_scud posted:

Just keep your damned stick on the ice and good things can happen, especially if you're anywhere near the net.

It's surprised me how hard this is to remember to do.

I'm out there huffing and puffing just trying to keep up with the play and standing up straight to give my back a rest.. and it takes me a few minutes to realize why no one is sending me the puck. It's because my stupid stick is being held horizontal at waist level. :doh:

Granted, I expect this to get easier when my health gets better and I'm not constantly feeling like I'm ready to die. But it still surprises me how quickly I forget good technique that's so easy to criticize other people for.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Dangerllama posted:

And the slash?

It was under a player... I yanked it out and got called

sellouts posted:

The guy lifted my stick and drilled me from behind in front of the net, I hit the goalie as I was falling..

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds like you got worked hard. Sometimes there isn't anything you can do if a bigger/stronger/more balanced dude hits you in front of the net.

Or it was just a bad call.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

Sounds like you got worked hard. Sometimes there isn't anything you can do if a bigger/stronger/more balanced dude hits you in front of the net.

Or it was just a bad call.

One ref called everything, even stuff that happened in front of the other ref while he was on the other side of the ice. We had guys who never get called for anything take penalties, the scorekeeper even commented on how terrible it was. The good thing he was finally beat them after 1.5 seasons..

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Hey Sharks Ice goons - do you know if their rental poo poo is open during the weekday rear end-crack-of-dawn Gretzky hours? Already tried calling them several times today and haven't been able to get through.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Habibi posted:

Hey Sharks Ice goons - do you know if their rental poo poo is open during the weekday rear end-crack-of-dawn Gretzky hours? Already tried calling them several times today and haven't been able to get through.

90% of the time the cashier you pay is not even there so I'm going to assume that the rental place is not opened.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

cenzo posted:

HZ, that's crazy man -- we actually beat the only undefeated team last night in the last game of the regular season, and we won 8-5. 80% of their team is from the league higher than ours, I think it helped that they played the game right before ours too. I was the only person on the team who didn't score a goal, but that's ok :unsmith:

That means we were put into the "middle" playoff bracket and get to play again tonight. Gotta love back-to-backs!

Similarly, I need to work on my acceleration. Is there a definitive "best" way accelerate? I try to get low and really push my legs out backwards with long strides, and obviously do that as fast as I can. Would shorter, bursty type movements work better? Who can know all of this?

First 3 strides are supposed to be short, hard and powerful basically to get some momentum going immediately. Those three strides are pretty much the only time you should be pushing straight behind you, the rest of the time you should be trying to push more out the side with really long strides.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Look at that loving 2nd period, most of it was played 5-3, the refs even called a tacky tripping penalty on our goalie, his stick was caught in the skaters skate blade, while we were already short handed.

And somehow kept them off the board during all that, and pulled out the win.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:siren: Sick Cyber Monday $15 Glove Deal :siren:

But seriously, there's a bunch of poo poo on sale here:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/cyber-monday-2011.html

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Man I love starting off a game by getting the first goal. Especially when that goal is a lovely floated pass to the front of the net so you can slam dunk it in.

Even got an assist a little while later off the weakest backhand ever that somehow the goalie didn't cover and my linemate poached on the line for an easy tap-in.

Of course the other team started to get chippy as hell but thankfully we didn't let it bother us, it was slightly annoying that our line was the line that got the early goals + then drew all the penalties so the 1st line could come out and dick around on the PP.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
My Ice hockey team got a tie tonight! WOO! We didn't lose yay :unsmith: 0-5-1.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The 75 Flex EQ30 I got ended up cracking at the top where the hozzle meets the blade in one game. Guess that's going back for a warranty return. Hopefully it's not reflective of the 75 flex.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:siren: Sick Cyber Monday $15 Glove Deal :siren:

But seriously, there's a bunch of poo poo on sale here:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/cyber-monday-2011.html
I think I'm gonna buy those gloves for the novelty of it. Er, I mean cause they're awesome.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

sellouts posted:

The 75 Flex EQ30 I got ended up cracking at the top where the hozzle meets the blade in one game. Guess that's going back for a warranty return. Hopefully it's not reflective of the 75 flex.

Oh man I just ordered this stick!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

I think I'm gonna buy those gloves for the novelty of it. Er, I mean cause they're awesome.

I like how all the "related searches" at the bottom is pink girls gear.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
First game of the first playoff series we won 11-6. We were up 6-2 with 2:30 left in the second and ended up going into the third 6-5. This is normally how things go on this team as the year progressed. I did get the first goal on a redirected slapshot from the point though.

Does anyone play with or against that wily veteran type who is a little more chippy than s/he is wily? This guy would constantly interfere with your skating path, use his body a lot and generally try to get under your skin -- which is all well and good -- but he would also grab my back and literally ride me into the boards any time I was beating him to a puck, or give you a quick cross-check after the play was whistled dead. The former is all well and good, but I think the latter is just dangerous. Problem is, he's been in the league forever and the refs are just like "oh he's just that wily veteran." Pissed me off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah there's a few guys in my league who are known assholes/dirty players. It's just best to ignore them and not take any dumb retaliation penalties. They'll eventually get thrown in the box if they're doing it often enough.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok, so here's the deal:

I bought ice skates and I am going to take beginning ice skating classes in January.

I don't know who to contact as far as playing Ice Hockey in my area goes, except that a few of the guys in the ball hockey league in my area play ice too. One of the guys had asked if I ever wanted to play ice, and that he was trying to get some new people to join the Hockey North America thing.

Has anyone else gone through them? The prices seem steep, but it does have an 8 week beginner hockey course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know about Hockey North America, but I do know a dedicated "learn to play hockey" program will do a lot more for you than generic beginner lessons.

Coaches will take new skaters aside and help out on the basics, and fallling hurts a whole lot less when you got full hockey gear on.

Chasing the puck in a scrimmage is one of the best learning tools out there. It forces you to stop worrying about every little detail, and lets your body deal with the physics of skating without your brain interfering.. you'll surprise yourself how natural basic skating is. Then you take that experience and as questions, slowly refining your technique.

Also, start your cardio workouts now. Ice skating will kick your rear end.