Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yes and no. Some particular things in those trees will specify that you need to be in X role to get Y effect, and that otherwise you will get Z effect instead when you are in another role.

Read the descriptions and you'll be fully informed. If it doesn't specify, they should work all the time.

Alright, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Another question: if you took the guardian and warden tree and took "The Best Defense" in both trees would you get 200% of your defense converted to offense or would the second copy of "The Best Defense" do nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You get both, and that's possible to do yes. The perks in Vindicator, especially Aggressive Stance, are really nice though, that's why that's such a popular choice (vindi/warden or vindi/guardian).

update: Mamushi has 741 Presence in Support/Aura of Primal Majesty. :toot:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 23, 2013

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Need a cosmic power powerset now :colbert:

(This is also too much fun)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

jerichojx posted:

I feel Defiance is kinda weak though.

I did some thinking overnight about your Defiance troubles. One thing that used to help a lot, and I'm not sure if it still does, is to spread out your defenses across multiple mechanics. This helps avoid the diminishing returns on any one mechanic.

So your core is Defiance, which gives you a very chunky Damage Resist boost. You don't need more damage resist than that. Instead of Laser Knight, go for Elusive Monk, since your dodge/avoidance is likely to be quite low, naturally. Then grab BCR/RR to mesh with Elusive Monk, and to provide some healing - again, a form of defense you didn't have any of before.

I'll leave it to someone with more current experience to tell me if this is still a good concept.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Alright, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Another question: if you took the guardian and warden tree and took "The Best Defense" in both trees would you get 200% of your defense converted to offense or would the second copy of "The Best Defense" do nothing?

Speaking as someone who was inactive for a long time and then came back and had to figure poo poo out all over again: Make a new character, preferably a DPS of some kind, and run them up from level 1 (skipping the tutorial if possible) to get a feel for what the system is now. I find that makes it much easier to rebuild your old characters.

The default, baseline spec build for MDPS is STR/Warden/Vindicator, for RDPS is EGO/Guardian/Vindicator. The Best Defense in Warden/Guardian and Aggressive Stance in Vindicator stack recursively; your numbers will keep rising iteratively until the ratios are correct. Infinite series! After you've gone through one of those specs to level 30 or so it becomes a lot easier to see how things fit together.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Stun duration: 20 seconds in alerts :toot:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I made a build, feel free to critique:

quote:

Name: TBD

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Presence (Secondary)
Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Mind
Level 6: Showmanship
Level 9: Daredevil
Level 12: Prodigy
Level 15: Sniper Training
Level 18: Ascetic
Level 21: Shrug It Off

Powers:
Level 1: Electric Bolt
Level 1: Chain Lightning (Rank 2, Rank 3, Lightning Helix)
Level 6: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Ionic Reverberation
Level 11: Concentration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Thunderstrike (Rank 2, Ionic Compression)
Level 17: Lightning Storm (Rank 2, Stolen Thunder)
Level 20: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 23: Gigabolt (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Electrocute
Level 29: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Unbreakable
Level 35: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Psionic Healing

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I made a build, feel free to critique:

If you use the Export Text option on the builder, it makes a link to a copy of your build, which is handy for remembering what the names mean.

If you're going to put so many spec points into improving crit severity, you probably want DEX as a secondary superstat, to crank up your base crit rate to acceptable levels. Note that PRE doesn't have anything to do with aggro anymore - it doesn't do much unless you're a dedicated support build.

AFAIK Chain Lightning is still bad, Lightning Arc is much more effective. Both of them are stopgaps until you can get to Gigabolt, which is still awesome. It is still possible to spam Gigabolt taps indefinitely with Ionic Reverberation.

There's a lot of fine details about power/advantage/talent choices that could be argued, but those are the main things.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

If you use the Export Text option on the builder, it makes a link to a copy of your build, which is handy for remembering what the names mean.

If you're going to put so many spec points into improving crit severity, you probably want DEX as a secondary superstat, to crank up your base crit rate to acceptable levels. Note that PRE doesn't have anything to do with aggro anymore - it doesn't do much unless you're a dedicated support build.

AFAIK Chain Lightning is still bad, Lightning Arc is much more effective. Both of them are stopgaps until you can get to Gigabolt, which is still awesome. It is still possible to spam Gigabolt taps indefinitely with Ionic Reverberation.

There's a lot of fine details about power/advantage/talent choices that could be argued, but those are the main things.

Here is a link to the build.

I changed out chain lightning for arc and made some other small changes. I had been told that the points in sixth sense were enough to get your crit chance high enough for it to be worthwhile, is this not true? I was also told that PRE is good for heals, I was taking it to boost reconstruction circuits and medical nanites, but if the healing boost is negligible I'll change it to dex. I was aiming for a character that can solo well while still focusing on damage. I'm trying to avoid melee builds and I wanted a character with a "big hitter" type power that is used often so Electricity appealed to me with Gigabolt, I'm not a fan of knockback so force is right out and I've done PA builds before and I always end up stacking toggles and maintains instead of using chest beam, the only other sets I was looking at were shadow and infernal supernatural. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
One more- this is one of my favourites.

Medical Nanites aura really gives a good pulsing lava veins look, and the particles look like floating bits of fiery ash. WotW and Seraphim for subtle heat effects and cap it off with dark aura for smoke.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mewnie posted:

One more- this is one of my favourites.

Medical Nanites aura really gives a good pulsing lava veins look, and the particles look like floating bits of fiery ash. WotW and Seraphim for subtle heat effects and cap it off with dark aura for smoke.
Ooh, I might need to steal that. Tried lava/fire monsters off and on ever since they added that costume set way back when but could never get a look I liked. :allears:

And yeah, the aura stuff's a great idea so far. I'm all for yet more customization.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only thing that's going to prevent a lot of these cool combos on live servers is that this stuff all costs money. You have to pay to unlock the aura slots(past the first one), you have to pay for the auras(in either zen or questionite) and if you want to use an aura on more than one character you've got to buy multiples because they're individual, equippable items.

They allow for some awesome customization but if they're overpriced the whole system is going to be a waste of time for everyone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got like a year's worth of 500CP installments, I'm good to go.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for helping me out last night guys.

I feel a lot better now with Defiance.

I'll definitely try BCR + RR + R2 with Parry /Elusive Monk.

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...L012sNL3bIm09gO

Name: Monarch

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Glacier
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Accurate
Level 12: Boundless Reserves
Level 15: Agile
Level 18: Enduring
Level 21: Energetic

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Defiance
Level 6: Mighty Leap (Crippling Challenge)
Level 8: Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Enrage (Endorphin Rush, Giant Growth)
Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Ionic Reverberation
Level 20: Lightning Storm (Rank 2, Stolen Thunder)
Level 23: Sparkstorm (Rank 2, Electric Personality)
Level 26: Masterful Dodge
Level 29: Ascension (Rank 2)
Level 32: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
Level 35: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Retractable Wings (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Lightning Flash (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Tough (3/3)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)

Here's what I am planning. I am doing a lot better now that I am higher level. I hated Haymaker so I switched it out for Devour Essence which honestly is great.

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 24, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Defense/dodge changes, auras, cardboard robot armor, almost sounds like this game is worth coming back to!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

jerichojx posted:

Thanks for helping me out last night guys.

I feel a lot better now with Defiance.

We took him out for a ride with training wheels on (Mamushi's +104/+95 AOPM) and then we took the training wheels off and he kept going. We were so proud. :3:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

jerichojx posted:

I hated Haymaker so I switched it out for Devour Essence which honestly is great.

Devour Essence is stupidly good in just about every build.

Flesh Forge posted:

We took him out for a ride with training wheels on (Mamushi's +104/+95 AOPM) and then we took the training wheels off and he kept going. We were so proud. :3:

Yes, Mamushi left and I started facerolling everywhere because I am an idiot who can't function without a tank and a healer :downs: But Monarch was fine!

Flesh Forge, could you weigh in on the crit rate thing I was discussing with Radish above? I feel like his build really wants super-DEX, and like super-PRE for a couple of self-heals is kind of a waste on a gigabolt-spammers, but I'm also not sure at all.

McSpanky posted:

Defense/dodge changes, auras, cardboard robot armor, almost sounds like this game is worth coming back to!

No lie, this game has gotten really good given the starvation budget it's been living on. For me, Alerts make all the difference - no more re-running any content you don't feel like doing, ever.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 24, 2013

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Radish -

Here's my $.02.

I'm leveling a Medical Nanites char now - great for support, okay in hybrid, lousy for damage. You're a DPS - use a Ranged damage build is my advice. If you MUST have a team heal, grab Sentinel Aura instead. It's fairly close. BUT you'd be a lot better off with Guardian and Vindicator pumping your defense and offense as you have it IMO.

I'd suggest Stormbringer instead - buffs lightning, cold, and crushing, and has some resistance mostly useful for the crushing resist.

Also - Reconstruction Circuits is a PA toggle. You can't have pretty much anything else you have running while it's on.

If you want a HoT - get Bountiful Chi Resurgence. Even without dodge, it's pretty good at R3.

I took Circle of Primal Dominion on my electric guy - who's still not got his final respec done. Helps a lot.

I have to agree - Pre is kind of a waste for a damage person. And electric is all about the damage.

Not sure about the Dex though - all it does is add Crit. Ego PSS is very good. I don't really think you need to double-dip with Heroic gear and mods. I'd personally go Con, I think, for extra survivability.

And I'd drop End for Rec, and just grab enough End from gear to be above your equilibrium point if you can. That's just me though.

Low Rec and high END never quite seems to work as well as I'd like.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Flesh Forge, could you weigh in on the crit rate thing I was discussing with Radish above? I feel like his build really wants super-DEX, and like super-PRE for a couple of self-heals is kind of a waste on a gigabolt-spammers, but I'm also not sure at all.

Yeah he could probably trade out endurance for dexterity and never miss it, after 40. Before 40, you could take something like Circle of Arcane Power for energy management if you can fit it into your concept. As James just said, Reconstruction Circuits is a Power Armor toggle, and is not compatible with powers from other sets - while Reconstruction is running you basically can't do anything else. Also, paralyzes are semi useful soloing, but in groups they're a complete waste of time, so I do not recommend Electrocute (especially if you're not ranking it or taking Manipulator). I think you're trying to leverage Lightning Arc/Never Strikes Twice? I doubt that will make you all that happy with the way the Paralyze status works in teams, it breaks on damage and I don't think it will be very effective. That does bring to mind a nice idea for use with stunning though!

I didn't see a lot of purpose in taking Thunderstrike when I've played Electric users, it applies negative ions but basically so does everything else you have. If you're going to take it, take it for its full charge burst damage to open with (but then you could charge Gigabolt for that purpose too).

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 24, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So after a bit of research over the past couple days I've found that you really do need a decent amount of dexterity if you want a good crit rate. So the question I have is about secondary super stat choices, Dex/Con? Dex/Rec? Do you need to take a energy management stat or can you get away with getting some Rec or End out of dual stated equipment? I would still get some energy management with Ego as my primary super stat, there is a spec tree skill that would work out to a 20%~ discount on energy costs, but I don't know if that is enough. I really like the extra health from Con, so I am reluctant to give that up, but if energy will end up being a problem then I guess I can give Con up in favor of Rec.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

As far as energy management, Electric Form + Ionic Reverberation will carry an enormous amount of weight. AFAIK you're fine with EGO/dex/con.

For talents, using the +8 to one and the +5/+5 to two, you can invest 18 in each of three stats, or 15 in each of four. The latter arrangement is a little more popular, since it lets you pile up a fourth stat. INT is a popular choice.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I hate to double-post, but I want to make sure people see this:

Looks like I cropped out his nameplate - Power Boy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was thinking Captain Landing Strip.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Been having an insane amount of fun with this build. The powers are out of order, I don't remember exactly where I put my spec points, and I'm not especially sure of my superstats/talents and I drat sure have lovely random gear, but! It plays like a Mastermind from City of Villains. A big swarm of jackass pets, and you in the middle sucking up aggro with AoE soft taunts and not ever dying, mostly:

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...Q003BIN09T70trL

Name: Irony Man

Super Stats:
Level 6: Endurance (Primary)
Level 10:
Level 15:

Talents:
Level 1:
Level 6:
Level 9:
Level 12:
Level 15:
Level 18:
Level 21:

Powers:
Level 1: Wrist Bolter (Automated Assault, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 1: Mini Gun (Rank 2, U-238 Rounds, Challenging Strikes)
Level 6: Tactical Missiles (Crippling Challenge)
Level 8: Micro Munitions (Rank 2, Alpha Strike, Challenging Strikes)
Level 11: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Overdrive
Level 17: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Attack Toys (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Inertial Dampening Field
Level 26: Implosion Engine
Level 29: Rebirth
Level 32: Reconstruction Circuits
Level 35: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Phalanx Defense System)
Level 38: Fire All Weapons

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Superjump (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Endurance: Readiness (3/3)
Endurance: Kickback (2/2)
Endurance: Power Overwhelming (3/3)
Endurance: Hardened (2/2)
Protector: Beacon of Hope (3/3)
Protector: Unrelenting (1/2)
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Exhausting Strikes (2/2)
Commander: Evasive Action (2/2)
Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
Commander: Well Trained (2/2)
Commander: Relief (3/3)
Mastery: Commander Mastery (1/1)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ahahahaha what the gently caress

Oh it's a Christmas alert I've never seen yet. Neat!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is that windup key costume piece new? Because it sounds like a great thing to have.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is that windup key costume piece new? Because it sounds like a great thing to have.

Yup! Never seen it before.

Here's hoping to it actually spinning while on your back (or even being available to players for that matter).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bluhman posted:

Yup! Never seen it before.

Here's hoping to it actually spinning while on your back (or even being available to players for that matter).

The link posted:

This encounter will be challenging but will also be rewarding. If you are able to defeat the sinister Black Harlequin, you’ll have a chance to be rewarded with new costume pieces: Blunderbuss weapon piece, Harquebus weapon costume and Windup Key costume piece (in case you want to look like one of Harlequin’s creations).

Also, it looks a lot like the windup key from the Attack Toys soldier. Which is good :3:

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Blunderbuss?

I have a couple characters that I'd like a Flintlock pistol for - musketeer style... the Blunderbuss might work for a shotgun replacement...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
And now, finally, my random character is finished. As far as powersets go she was very disparate, having a bunch of different powers from all across the board, but mechanically she was sound.

These were the rules I stuck with in rolling the powers:
-All three superstats rolled before rolling the character.
-No powers that are literally useless. If it's entirely meant to be building on powers I don't have, it doesn't happen. Partial bonuses from things I don't have are permitted. Similarly, no powers of a type I already have, so no second block, energy unlock, and so on.
-To maintain minimum usability, particular 'standard' types of power would be rolled as close to the 'standard' level ATs get them as possible, provided I didn't roll one beforehand. So a slotted passive at 8, a form at 14, and a shield at 20.
-'Ultimate' power rolled at level 35, because why would I pass that up?
-Everything else about the character's build would be consciously chosen, to try to stitch the nonsense together.

And the result, as far as powers go. I like that you can see just how far the 'from this powerset' power choice bias goes, since the builder's sister powers are front-loaded and then never turn up again.

Superstats: Dexterity, Ego and Presence. Would have made a great crit healer, if I could pick powers. As it stands, though, Presence fell by the wayside in favor of higher Dex and Ego.
Travel power: Flight, with Teleportation at 35. Really can't complain about Flight, especially getting it first; on my other characters it was always a secondary travel because of how useful it was. Teleportation wasn't really used, because by the time it got there Flight was still faster.
Builder: Electric Bolt. Not much that can be said about a builder. It did its job pretty well, and the jumps were fun.
Base Power: Stone Shot. Got outclassed later in the game, but a solid start.
Level 6: Electric Sheath. This pretty much cemented the fact I was a Blaster from CoH with nonsense powers. Remained a solid choice all throughout.
Level 8: Electric Form. At the time, probably the best passive I could have asked for, but probably didn't age well.
Level 11: Form of the Tempest. this surprised me, because as far as forms went, this was probably in the top three for my character. The melee focus didn't really help much, at least at first.
Level 14: Plasma Beam. This baby became my bread and butter, it just loving melted everything.
Level 17: Rocket. Eventually, this made Stone Shot obsolete. But there was a good while there where I actually did not have the default energy levels to support it without some build-up, which was an interesting interaction.
Level 20: Wind Barrier. I don't think I could have asked for a more hilarious shield, and it actually did come in handy against more melee-focused enemies like the Manimals. Also one of the few things that can be called 'control' that works against highly-ranked enemies like Alert bosses, so that was good.
Level 23: Circle of Primal Dominion. Actually a really great choice for a glass cannon, the extra regeneration and defense saved me from a lot.
Level 26: Eye of the Storm. Between this, the Circle and Wind Barrier, I could actually take quite a bit of punishment at times. It suffered quite noticeably from not being supported by my superstats, but it still did really well.
Level 29: Crippling Coils. I was familiar with this from my Scourge character, and it definitely got more use here. A great tool against Master Villains and the like, it provided a really good setup for an uninterrupted Plasma Beam or Rocket, or to find a way to patch myself up.
Level 32: Vaia's Light. This probably could have been a great addition earlier in the character, but by the time I got it I just didn't need it, especially since it would've required more of a focus on Presence than I gave.
Level 35: Planar Fracture. I honestly have no idea whether or not this helped more than other ultimates would have, but it definitely felt right that the random character got such a random power.
and Level 38: Ego Blade Annihilation. This would've been an amazing power if I could have built up Ego Leech somehow, but even without it I was able to do some nice damage through it, especially given the Circle that let me stay in melee longer.

This was a really fun challenge, and I recommend it to someone who's interested in a gimmick run. If people are, I can reformat the table I was rolling on to be more user-friendly and throw it up here.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 29, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

James_Bonnell posted:

I have a couple characters that I'd like a Flintlock pistol for - musketeer style

Like this?

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, like those.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those used to be available easily with the Power Replace system. The Blunderbuss too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think I crafted them a long rear end time ago, when you could do that sort of thing.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Side note to poor goons, access to the special power sets is half off until Tuesday, and there's a separate promotion where buying game cash gets fifteen percent extra. This is probably as cheap as it ever gets to get access to a freeform slot or a power archetype.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So I followed my own advice and sprung for the freeform. I remembered hearing that lightsabers had just been buffed, so I made a power armor guy who could lightsaber things and do a charge up blast attack. I then swung wildly at bug people with my lightsaber and generally did damage on par with a baseball bat. This is my first migration into CO since CoH folded, and thus far things feel rather underpowered in comparison; I'm used to smacking around minions like ragdolls pretty much from first level, blowing them up, knocking them down, punting them thirty feet away, jumping two blocks through the air and landing in a pile of a dozen gang members before shooting venom bone spears through them to 'arrest' them, etc. Is this something that's fixed as I level or get different gear, or is the pace of the game just generally slower than it was in CoH?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you're specifically looking for knockback, the laser sword moves don't have any. In general since there are no cooldowns on most powers, unlike COH, I find the game plays a whole lot more action-y (certainly that was a design goal). If you wand high damage and lots of knockback, there's the Force set, vaguely related to COH's Energy blaster primary; or get into the ranged moves in power armor, notably Chest Beam and Shoulder Launcher. Power-wise you can be every bit as broken as the most broken COH character ever was.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I recommend you don't try to make your first character a lightsaber MDPS. I know lightsabers can work - Cosmic Commissar uses them - but his build is kind of weird and specific. Use Martial Arts, either single or dual blade, and use the tech sword skins, which look like lightsabers.

In general, I think you should run an archetype character up to 30 or so before doing freeform; their builds are a bit suboptimal but mostly very playable.

As far as underpowered, I think the main problem is that Champions explains nothing about how to make a good freeform character build. There's some advice in the OP about that. Champions is much more about exploiting synergies than CoH was; you desperately need your Slotted Passive, and having a good Form Toggle and Energy Unlock makes everything work smoother.

The big downside of this system is that your early-game freeform build is generally your EB plus one or two good damage powers - then for six levels you're doing nothing but picking up passives, using the same two powers to kill bad guys with. THEN you start adding more powers to handle a wider variety of situations, and/or mix things up. Basically, most builds feel a little lumpy and bad and boring until level 15 or so, when you finally have enough power picks to operate properly. You can take the edge off a bit by planning to respec around 14 or so, rearranging your early picks to take the boring powers you need while still having some fun powers to kill stuff with.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
You've hit the nail on the head.

The balanced way to make a freeform build has you picking up a EBuilder and an AOE preferably at Lvl 6.

You get a Passive and another damage power by 8 then a heal and your Form Toggle, Block, Energy Unlock by lvl 14. Which means that you are only using two damage power until you are 14.

You round up some cooler damage powers before you pick up a Defensive and Offensive Cooldown by 26. You reach the conclusion by 30 that the game can essentially be played by the damage powers you picked at Lvl 0 and lvl 20.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Like, as an example, I've been playing a Lighting Reflexes/Munitions tank. Munitions has huge crushing internal synergy, which makes it a good bolt-on to anything with high DEX - in this case, a Lightning Reflexes/Bountiful Chi Resurgence/Fluidity tank:

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=7&n=&d=120000000000000800082008300D90088008900DK008I0000000000000000000000QJ00000200000000

Powers:
Level 1: Gunslinger
Level 1: Two-Gun Mojo
Level 6: Bullet Beatdown
Level 8: Lightning Reflexes
Level 11: Concentration
Level 14: Killer Instinct
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence
Level 20: Lead Tempest
Level 23:
Level 26:
Level 29:
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38:

You can skip the tutorial after the first time, so I start at level 6 with a do-nothing energy builder, a maintained single-target nuke, and a single-target melee combo. I take my next attack at level 20. It's a long time to be killing things with just those two attacks, but I'm using Lead Tempest as a PBAoE soft taunt, and that's bad if I don't have my energy return and defensive powers built up.

It's kind of fun for me, having played the game for three years, but I can see it being very repulsive to a newbie. This isn't even covering the lack of information about freeform builds - knowing that all characters with a high Dodge rate should be running Bountiful Chi Resurgence, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
But that's really the magic of CO.

Finding out the internal and external synergies. I'm actually now starting a Boomerang - Make Choices as you go character. Basing each level up choice based on what I liked to be doing at that level instead of agonising for hours whether to pick Haymaker or Defensive Combo for Monarch (Hint: I picked neither, I got another heal which made his life easier)

In addition, I got Colbert up to 40 and promptly spent 100G on new swanky gear only to realise that in similar gear: Regen beats Invuln in GRABS.

I don't need a heal in Regen as Ankh but boy can I still die as Invuln as Colbert if I don't turn on a heal and over-aggro.

It kinda imitates comics I guess where Wolverine / Deadpool / Hulk can survive nukes and just regen back but Iron Man / Thor can get out-slugged.

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 2, 2013