Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Strange Matter posted:

Having recently just rewatched the first two Matrix movies this prospect would fill me with both excitement and terror; the latter for how bad the sequels are, but the former because the Matrix still stands up today as a freaking amazing film. It's jarring how a film with an economy of writing on par with Back to the Future could turn into the swollen messes of its own sequels.

There is very little chance that Matrix prequels (which is what they've said the plan is) made by directors who'd rather be doing something else would be any good.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Strange Matter posted:

Having recently just rewatched the first two Matrix movies this prospect would fill me with both excitement and terror; the latter for how bad the sequels are, but the former because the Matrix still stands up today as a freaking amazing film. It's jarring how a film with an economy of writing on par with Back to the Future could turn into the swollen messes of its own sequels.

I rewatched it recently too (with a person my age who had somehow never seen it), and was surprised with how well it held up. That being said, the pre-9/11 mindset it has is probably one of the most fascinating aspects of it. Those guys in the lobby shootout were literally just cops having donuts and reading the paper before getting gunned down. I'm all for ACAB, but drat, that certainly wouldn't fly today.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
gently caress post-9/11, that came out a month before Columbine. I remember specific clips of it showing up everywhere on the news for a year or more.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This is obviously a topic for a different thread, but it feels like the Matrix sequels fall into the same category as the Star Wars prequels, in that the overall story is actually good and intriguing, but the execution takes the films from dull to excruciating over the course of both sequels. The idea of Destiny being another means of control is a great way to take the series after the end of the first movie; I just wish they were as entertaining to watch as the first.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

colonel_korn posted:

I read that they put multiple days into this scene and then decided to axe it entirely because it disrupted the flow of the movie or something. No wonder they decided to release it ahead of time instead to promote the movie.

Also apparently the movie itself is 2 1/2 hours long :stare: Not sure if that's good or bad, The Raid was pretty exhausting at nearly an hour shorter.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This is pretty good and I'm pretty drat excited for this movie if this scene somehow wasn't good enough to make the cut.

Disharmony posted:

Kill Em All, literally :psyboom:

Doesn't fit with the movie at all, and yes Raid 2 is exhausting but its phenomenal.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

bows1 posted:

Doesn't fit with the movie at all, and yes Raid 2 is exhausting but its phenomenal.

Hooray! Just what I was wanting to hear. I was concerned after watching the behind the scene footage that they were trying to make a movie that was a bit too... unsuitably big? Considering the confined shooting/setting of the first film. But if it's still good/wince-inducing/exhausting to watch, then I'm looking forward to it.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1wOobOGa4w

Phantasm V: raVager teaser.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Alehkhs posted:

Second trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvITFK98gg
At worst this is going to be a crazy fun movie, im pumped.

Edit: After this one, TMNT2014 and a bunch of other trailers you can really spot this trend:
action > whooooompppppp > slowdown > whoooooomp > action

Zedd fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 27, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Teaser Trailer for Into the Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_kj8EKhV3w

NATURE SMASH

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Febreeze posted:

NATURE SMASH

Oh cool, a Twister for the Reed Timmer generation

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Looks pretty good! Speaking as a casual TMNT fan.

Looks kind of cobbled together from terrible material. The effects work looks almost in line with the orginal Phantasm movies. I've only seen them in recent years, so I'm not sure what a fan of this series is expecting.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Febreeze posted:

NATURE SMASH

Since when do Syfy Originals get trailers?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't know how the Wachowskis' keep getting to make whatever the gently caress they want but it's amazing and I love it.

It seems like Warner Brothers tries to maintain strong relationships with 'their' directors.

Zedd posted:

Edit: After this one, TMNT2014 and a bunch of other trailers you can really spot this trend:
action > whooooompppppp > slowdown > whoooooomp > action

The TMNT trailer's one of the most boilerplate things I've seen in a while.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nature, you bitch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nice. That reminds me that I should watch Phantasm 2-4 one of these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nice. That reminds me that I should watch Phantasm 2-4 one of these days.

Phantasm 3 is interesting because it uses a lot of footage cut from the first movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Purge: Anarchy trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFCDqKE4yA

I kinda hated the first movie, and most of the shots in this one looks a little lifeless. I do like that burning bus shot though.

That being said: I love Frank Grillo and Zack Gilford, so I'm at least slightly intrigued. I also think the idea of rich people literally buying poor people to kill is some on-the-nose, Mad Magazine style satire and I kinda love it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TV spot of Dawn of The Planet of The Apes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkycgrscWVM

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Damned dirty APES.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
CG just isn't there yet. Look at the way the ape's mouth moves right before it cuts away. Same kind of weird over-smooth, over-exaggerated motion that made Jar Jar Binks look bad 15 years ago.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
We really should stop using CG till they can get it right.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The CGI in Rise of the Planet of the Apes was terrific, and I assume this one will be as good or better. The makeup in the 1968 original wasn't 100 percent convincing as talking monkey people but it was still an incredible achievement.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The MSJ posted:

TV spot of Dawn of The Planet of The Apes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkycgrscWVM

I caught this yesterday on TV and it blew me away- I can't loving wait!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

f#a# posted:

I rewatched it recently too (with a person my age who had somehow never seen it), and was surprised with how well it held up. That being said, the pre-9/11 mindset it has is probably one of the most fascinating aspects of it. Those guys in the lobby shootout were literally just cops having donuts and reading the paper before getting gunned down. I'm all for ACAB, but drat, that certainly wouldn't fly today.

I haven't seen The Matrix in a while, but do they ever specifically say that the cops are human beings? I sort of figured that they (also the SWAT team that arrives later) were just programs like the Agents.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

morestuff posted:

The CGI in Rise of the Planet of the Apes was terrific, and I assume this one will be as good or better. The makeup in the 1968 original wasn't 100 percent convincing as talking monkey people but it was still an incredible achievement.

Yeah, the first film had some great looking apes. The CGI wasn't perfect by any means and actually looked goofy at first but they animated and acted the chimps so well that by 15 minutes in you really did not care and bought it completely. Little imperfections like "The jaw moves a little too smoothly, waaaah" are just people getting too picky about a small glimpse with no context for them to care yet. If the movie is as good as the first one, you aren't going to be staring at these tiny imperfections that can be found everywhere in everything, you'll be more invested in what is happening. Like holy poo poo that ape just signaled to attack, fuuuuuuuccccck

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 31, 2014

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Ave Azaria posted:

CG just isn't there yet. Look at the way the ape's mouth moves right before it cuts away. Same kind of weird over-smooth, over-exaggerated motion that made Jar Jar Binks look bad 15 years ago.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes had perfect CGI. But let's pass judgement on a low bitrate flash video and compare it to 15 year old movie.

You are cool bro. :chord:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

schwenz posted:

We really should stop using CG till they can get it right.

We can get it right, but the realism of any given effect is logarithmically proportional to how much effort is dumped into it. Consider, for example, that the only thing stopping this evolution of a shot from Ice Age from going on with greater detail in each refinement is budget and the poor artist's sanity.

I mean, 95% of the moviegoing audience won't even realize that something is off, so why dump another $5 mil into getting the jaw to look just right?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

ninjahedgehog posted:

I haven't seen The Matrix in a while, but do they ever specifically say that the cops are human beings? I sort of figured that they (also the SWAT team that arrives later) were just programs like the Agents.

The cops are people, yeah. Morpheus explains earlier that because people can be possessed by Agents at any time, everyone whose mind isn't freed is a potential enemy. Hence, kill a shitload of cops, it's coo'.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

Second trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvITFK98gg

If nothing else, they really nailed the heavy metal aesthetic.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

f#a# posted:

We can get it right, but the realism of any given effect is logarithmically proportional to how much effort is dumped into it. Consider, for example, that the only thing stopping this evolution of a shot from Ice Age from going on with greater detail in each refinement is budget and the poor artist's sanity.

I mean, 95% of the moviegoing audience won't even realize that something is off, so why dump another $5 mil into getting the jaw to look just right?

It's not just the jaw, everything looks 5% off. ROTPOTA and Weta in general do CGI well, but I've never been able to effortlessly accept a CG character as easily and viscerally as something like the orcs' make-up.
As much as CGI has progressed in the last couple decades, so have practical effects, despite their no longer being the draw of spectacle films. I wish I could see the alternate universe where make-up and animatronics companies were as well funded, and where computer animation augmented and elevated those effects rather than replace them.
I also can't be the only person to think CGI hasn't overall improved in the last few years, can I? I thought the industry was in a pretty hosed up place.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
CGI might be a tad more common than you think.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 31, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

My favorite example of this is Zodiac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZS8OVyVr4

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

It's amazing seeing what they did for Boardwalk Empire.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Okay, I mean CGI as shorthand for "overt CGI characters and effects as the focal-point of an effects film" (though there are CGI environments that look poor and obvious, too.) Likewise when I say practical effects I'm referring to stuff like Audrey II, not the apple boxes Tom Cruise stands on.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

Ave Azaria posted:

It's not just the jaw, everything looks 5% off. ROTPOTA and Weta in general do CGI well, but I've never been able to effortlessly accept a CG character as easily and viscerally as something like the orcs' make-up.
As much as CGI has progressed in the last couple decades, so have practical effects, despite their no longer being the draw of spectacle films. I wish I could see the alternate universe where make-up and animatronics companies were as well funded, and where computer animation augmented and elevated those effects rather than replace them.
I also can't be the only person to think CGI hasn't overall improved in the last few years, can I? I thought the industry was in a pretty hosed up place.

I agree with you, but I'm basically saying that the fact you know what Weta is probably has something to do with your inability to accept a CG character as real. No production company is going to hold up deadlines or potentially double their effects budget to satisfy the alarmingly small percentage of the population who would notice this. As Febreeze put it, what counts are the people saying "holy poo poo that ape signaled to attack!"

CGI is so prevalent specifically because of its effect on costs. You don't have to reset or reshoot complex effects setups, you can blow up whatever you want, and you have an unprecedented--arguably infinite--amount of control over the composition. But you're right in that the industry is pretty hosed, as most digital studios barely turn a profit on any given movie.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Frankly while the Apes in that trailer do indeed look just a tad off, I'm watching a trailer. I feel like trailers cause people to overanalyze. I saw it happen in the Godilla thread, people started wondering how much of the effects weren't finished on certain shots. Someone rightfully pointed out that the shots more than likely were finished, and that when we see it in a theater, with context, as part of a story, we don't notice it. But when it's in a trailer and we are trying like hell to figure out what we can from the tease, you notice things looking off easier.

The Apes from the first movie looked a little uncanny valley for a bit, a little too smooth, but by Cesear's 3rd or so scene I just simply accepted it, because it was so well acted and delivered well enough in context for me to not care.

No one is going to get dragged out of the movie for half a second of smooth lip unless lots of things about the movie already suck.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oftentimes a trailer's VFX are hustled to get finished before anything else is. You shouldn't judge a future movie on the effects of a trailer. I mean sure it could be just as bad but often the finished effects don't even exist yet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ave Azaria posted:

Okay, I mean CGI as shorthand for "overt CGI characters and effects as the focal-point of an effects film" (though there are CGI environments that look poor and obvious, too.) Likewise when I say practical effects I'm referring to stuff like Audrey II, not the apple boxes Tom Cruise stands on.

What's the difference? It's all illusion on a screen.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

scary ghost dog posted:

What's the difference? It's all illusion on a screen.

I dunno, there's a pretty big difference between background stuff and what's basically puppetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

morestuff posted:

I dunno, there's a pretty big difference between background stuff and what's basically puppetry.

Check out Japanese horror flick Hausu for a movie where there's little to no difference.

• Locked thread