Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Just got an air 2 and it crashes a lot, but not just app crashes, full system crashes, the only way out is a hard reset. Is this a common problem or should I just factory reset it and start again? I'm currently running it with a restore from my old iPad 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Solly posted:

Just got an air 2 and it crashes a lot, but not just app crashes, full system crashes, the only way out is a hard reset. Is this a common problem
Of course it's not a common problem. Get it replaced.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Of course it's not a common problem. Get it replaced.

Bought it in the US and live in the UK, don't know how well the returning it thing would play out. I'll probably just put up with it because nothing I own ever works right.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Solly posted:

Bought it in the US and live in the UK, don't know how well the returning it thing would play out. I'll probably just put up with it because nothing I own ever works right.

Is this code for "It's actually a stolen iPad where the serial numbers have been reported to the police" since Apple is, last I check, also doing business in the UK...

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

No of course not. Just figured they might get a bit funny about it, I'll give it a go if it keeps happening.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

How does the ipad send and receive SMS messages? I must be an idiot because I was expecting it only to get my imessages. My ipad is wifi-only.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Solly posted:

If anyone wants some laughs, click on this dude's IYG post history. He's some sort of bizarre consumer electronics black hole.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

How does the ipad send and receive SMS messages? I must be an idiot because I was expecting it only to get my imessages. My ipad is wifi-only.
You have an iPhone and it bounces SMS through it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm guessing you have an iPhone, but best as I can tell, the iPhone reroutes them through the cloud to get sent to all iOS 8 and Yosemite devices. This was a pretty big feature.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

That's frankly amazing. I wish I didn't hate OSx because those apple guys make some nice poo poo.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I'm guessing you have an iPhone, but best as I can tell, the iPhone reroutes them through the cloud to get sent to all iOS 8 and Yosemite devices. This was a pretty big feature.

Yeah, this is really a killer feature and it's nice that they've finally gotten it working. iMessage was only really useful on other devices if 100% of your contacts were on iPhones, or else you still had to fall back to using your phone as your messaging device at least some of the time.

Now when I'm at work I can leave my phone in my bag, and I can get my messages on my computer. And really, I suppose, even my calls, too; I'm on video conferences a big chunk of my day so I keep a headset plugged in. And at home, if I get a message, I can just grab whatever is handy (phone, iPad, laptop, desktop computer) and deal with it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

That's frankly amazing. I wish I didn't hate OSx because those apple guys make some nice poo poo.

Seek help. OS X is amazing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Solly posted:

Just got an air 2 and it crashes a lot, but not just app crashes, full system crashes, the only way out is a hard reset. Is this a common problem or should I just factory reset it and start again? I'm currently running it with a restore from my old iPad 2.

Save yourself a trip and reload iOS and set it up as new, that's what the apple store will do before they replace it.

source: I work there

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

If anyone wants some laughs, click on this dude's IYG post history. He's some sort of bizarre consumer electronics black hole.

It would be funny if it weren't such a pain in the rear end but I can find a bug or defect in just about anything.

e.pilot posted:

Save yourself a trip and reload iOS and set it up as new, that's what the apple store will do before they replace it.

source: I work there

Just done so, lost all my data but so be it if it works.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any iPad Air 2 case recommendations? I wish I could just do the Smart Cover but it sounds like it's been ruined in recent revisions.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

fleshweasel posted:

Any iPad Air 2 case recommendations? I wish I could just do the Smart Cover but it sounds like it's been ruined in recent revisions.

Ehh the Smart Cover is fine. Yeah it's sort of shittier compared to the older one but I just tear it off and toss it on my bed or the couch or wherever when I use the iPad. I just like how it's so minimal.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I actually think this thing is the best thing ever so far. I have no ideas why people aren't buying these. Is the iPhone 6 plus really that great?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

I actually think this thing is the best thing ever so far. I have no ideas why people aren't buying these. Is the iPhone 6 plus really that great?

A lot of people I know are happy with their old iPads. Then there's the new customers who don't want to spend $500 so they buy an older model.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

fleshweasel posted:

I personally think all the smartcover style cases are horrible: they offer only two stand angles neither of which are very stable or useful. The iPad just falls over when you touch the screen, and it got worse with the newer 3 segment version.

Sadly most of the big 3rd part case manufacturers don't yet have theirs available yet - almost like apple planned it...

I'm a big fan of STM cases, especially the studio. It looks nice, protects well and has two stand angles that are both much better than the smartcover in terms of stability. It's not yet available to preorder sadly.

That said, this year I'm going with the Devicewear ridge, which I preordered at the end of October and is now shipping.
It doesn't look quite as modern as some cases, but it has 6 different *stable* stand angles, is reasonably slim and protective and doesn't cost much.

Ogmius815 posted:

This functionality has been available for a couple of years on Android, via either Google voice (US Only) or via Pushbullet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Solly posted:

It would be funny if it weren't such a pain in the rear end but I can find a bug or defect in just about anything.

Just done so, lost all my data but so be it if it works.

Dude... Why didn't you backup first?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

This functionality has been available for a couple of years on Android, via either Google voice (US Only) or via Pushbullet.

Yeah, that functionality was available, pretty much. Only Apple made it good. You may not appreciate the difference between setting up a new number with Google Voice and using their crappy phone app and web app for text messages, and having your iPhone send and receive text messages from and to your iPad and Mac right in the Messages app.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, that functionality was available, pretty much. Only Apple made it good. You may not appreciate the difference between setting up a new number with Google Voice and using their crappy phone app and web app for text messages, and having your iPhone send and receive text messages from and to your iPad and Mac right in the Messages app.

It also felt like it set itself up. I mean I had to get a code from my phone and that could have been really complicated but it totally wasn't, which is good because my days of knowing how to do esoteric computer stuff are long behind me. In fact my new ipad seems to have got basically all the information I'd ever want it to have from my phone without my ever having to lift a finger. Marvelous.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

fleshweasel posted:

I can't use Google voice anyway as I'm not in the US, but pushbullet gets pretty close for my usage, and is actually better as I can use it in-browser at work on a locked down machine. There's a native windows app too.

Agree that Apples solution is slicker and easier to setup, if you're all-in on Apple, but given that ~80% of iPhone users don't have a Mac, they're not providing any solution at all for the majority of their customers.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Like it or not, Apple's solution is: get a Mac.

In an environment (such as work) where you're forced to not use a Mac? Get a Mac.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Like it or not, Apple's solution is: get a Mac.

In an environment (such as work) where you're forced to not use a Mac? Get a Mac.

Apple is right. Life is better this way. You don't need to play video games on your computer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

tuyop posted:

Apple is right. Life is better this way. You don't need to play video games on your computer.

I will be totally honest and say that switching to Mac only at home helped me stop playing video games aside from casual poo poo on my phone.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The correct answer is own a Mac and a PS4, newbs.

So, for substance - what games should I check out on my shiny Air 2? The last couple App Store games I bought were GTA III and Infinity Blade 2 some 2.5 years ago.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Space Racist posted:

The correct answer is own a Mac and a PS4, newbs.

So, for substance - what games should I check out on my shiny Air 2? The last couple App Store games I bought were GTA III and Infinity Blade 2 some 2.5 years ago.

Xcom is pretty cool

and Frozen Synapse. I wonder if the new one will make it's way to iPad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My mum always had Windows PCs of mediocre build quality that would absolutely grind after about 6 months use and non stop tech calls asking me my why things weren't working. When the iPad 2 was released, I had enough spare cash (somehow) to buy her an OG iPad as they reduced them in price (plus Apple accidentally authorised staff discount on it for another £20 off), and I remember the look on her face which basically amounted to 'why did you buy me this? I'm afraid of technology and I'm never going to use it'.

I think the PC upstairs since that day has been plugged in twice, and that's just to print things, as the iPad has barely been put down since. Today I finally convinced her that her iPad needs to be retired and she's just ordered an Air 2. Even though 99% of her use is for email and Safari (she has 6 pages of bookmarks covering the home screen and about 6 apps), I think the weight, speed and screen are going to blow her away.

And the OG iPad still works pretty well too! Enough that I'm going to clean it up and sell it to get her some cash back towards the new one. Doubt the battery life is wonderful these days because it's been used for about 10 hours a day for nearly 4 years non stop. What a trooper.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

bobfather posted:

Both the iPad Mini 3 and iPad Air 2 have exactly the same NFC hardware as the 6 and 6+, but lack the NFC antenna.

NFC stands for near field communications. The "NFC hardware" is co-extensive with the "NFC antenna." If you don't have an antenna to communicate with another NFC antenna, you don't have NFC anything.

Just please don't tell people that iPads have anything related to NFC because they'll be confused and sad after they buy an iPad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What if we want to see people bashing their iPads against card readers in stores and getting increasingly more annoyed?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What's the cheapest iPad that can do 'Hey Siri'?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
iPad mini 1.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Should have stipulated, no Minis.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
iPad 2.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Only if they decided to enable it for iOS 8.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

EL BROMANCE posted:

What if we want to see people bashing their iPads against card readers in stores and getting increasingly more annoyed?

Tell people you know, that if they drill a hole in the right spot the signal will leave the case and Apple pay will magically work. Apple is just trying to screw them over by forcing them to buy an iPhone with some silly antenna. On second thought, don't tell anyone that.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

Tell people you know, that if they drill a hole in the right spot the signal will leave the case and Apple pay will magically work. Apple is just trying to screw them over by forcing them to buy an iPhone with some silly antenna. On second thought, don't tell anyone that.

Reminds me of the "microwave your phone to charge faster" and "iOS7 makes your phone waterproof" jokes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

japtor posted:

Only if they decided to enable it for iOS 8.

The iPad 2 will take iOS 8; the Mini 1 is still basically an iPad 2 under the hood and they're still selling it brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
But really, don't buy an iPad 2. iPad 3s and even iPad Airs are cheap in the refurb store.

Edit:
vvv Another good reason not to get an iPad 2! ;)

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 17, 2014