Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Bugamol posted:

I thought the whole point of you moving to where you moved was because you only needed one car.

I would do some serious math on cost of babysitting + cost of second card / insurance / maintenance / registration / etc. versus how much your wife is really "taking home" from working before you buy a second card.

I remember a big reason for his wife continuing work despite the meager take home pay was that her insurance plan was vastly superior to his. The plan offered by his employer cost far more for far less. All the more reason to look for a new job in my mind, however the usual KG reaction of :homebrew: occurs instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

Wait wait wait, why does your sister need to pick you up if you have a bike you can ride to and from work I'm so confused.
He's trying to be polite to his cheap daycare/sister.

I think biking would be a win-win, it'll enable you to exercise on your commute, KG.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

SiGmA_X posted:

He's trying to be polite to his cheap daycare/sister.

I think biking would be a win-win, it'll enable you to exercise on your commute, KG.

No crap but it adds an entire hour to his commute which pisses off his sister and wahhh.

Knyteguy posted:

My wife's schedule keeps changing that's kind of the problem. Instead of 7 hour days she's working 8 hour days (randomly with little notice). Or longer.

You loving knew that going into this and you're changing your tune and trying to play the victim to a known known. Knock it off.

A car is out of the question figure out a way to fix your massive fuckups that doesn't involve spending way more money than you can afford.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well if I get tires that won't pop from goat head stickers and glass... then I probably can ride just beyond the shoulder of the highway and that would likely cut the ride there and home by 20 minutes. I do have a mountain bike rather than a road bike, and exercise from riding a bike would make me look and feel better increasing my odds of getting a better job like I want...

Alright fine Goons you win I'll do that and we'll up my sister $50/mo to $400/mo to make up for the time. I already have a bike expenses fund with 5ish months of savings so I don't need to find money in the budget anywhere.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Well if I get tires that won't pop from goat head stickers and glass... then I probably can ride just beyond the shoulder of the highway and that would likely cut the ride there and home by 20 minutes. I do have a mountain bike rather than a road bike, and exercise from riding a bike would make me look and feel better increasing my odds of getting a better job like I want...

Alright fine Goons you win I'll do that and we'll up my sister $50/mo to $400/mo to make up for the time. I already have a bike expenses fund with 5ish months of savings so I don't need to find money in the budget anywhere.

Aren't you putting $10/month in that account? So you have one month's worth of the difference saved, and you'll be in the red in one month after that, correct?

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

She's our babysitter (only 1 sister). So if I ride my bike or walk from work she has to watch 2 newborns nearly an hour longer every day while I get home.

I wouldn't be considering it if it wasn't affecting her as both my sister and our babysitter.

This is not your concern. You cannot afford this. Just LOL at you.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

Aren't you putting $10/month in that account? So you have one month's worth of the difference saved, and you'll be in the red in one month after that, correct?

Yes. So currently there is $50 in the category. If I spend more than that (I won't I have everything I need) then the balance (negative or positive) will rollover to the following month.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

something clever posted:

This is not your concern. You cannot afford this. Just LOL at you.

I'd think it's in Knyte's best interest to not piss off his sister and have her decide to not do it anymore, costing them even more money in actual daycare fees.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Knyteguy posted:

Mango that was Cicero who gave me the mock interview which was very helpful. I think about what I learned from that often. On the technical side I know what I have to do.
Ok, but have you done what you have to do? As in, practiced your data structures and algorithms? Not every company does those kinds of interviews, but the more 'cutting-edge' tech companies tend to (and those tend to have the better jobs, on average).

You should probably do more practice interviews before you go for real ones. I'm up for it, or you could ask in the newbie programming interviews thread (or look at the list of goon mentors in the OP).

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Knyteguy posted:

We talked about transcription again this morning, but I think she got bummed out from getting rejected from the big company who does it.

A single job rejection doesn't mean poo poo.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Yes. So currently there is $50 in the category. If I spend more than that (I won't I have everything I need) then the balance (negative or positive) will rollover to the following month.

So you have the $50 to cover the difference in payment to your sister this month, and you'll have $10 next month, so where will the extra $40 come from?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
KG, why are you under the impression that you will need a second car to start applying for a job somewhere else? Your sister is with your child during the day and she has a vehicle, when she is not there, presumably you are and you have a vehicle.

You can only drive one car at a time, so why do you think you need a second vehicle before you even send out the resume?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

My road bike contis cost 45 bucks a pop for those types of tires sooooo best start savin. Also you'll need the tubes too so you're lookin at 100-150 total to upgrade the bike like that, which may or may not be worth the 20 minutes that's your call.

Antifreeze Head posted:

KG, why are you under the impression that you will need a second car to start applying for a job somewhere else? Your sister is with your child during the day and she has a vehicle, when she is not there, presumably you are and you have a vehicle.

You can only drive one car at a time, so why do you think you need a second vehicle before you even send out the resume?

He wants a second car and is trying to find excuses to do it that's what Knyteguy does. He's not dumb he's just manipulative. Well he could honestly be that dumb but I choose to believe he's not.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Rurutia posted:

I'd think it's in Knyte's best interest to not piss off his sister and have her decide to not do it anymore, costing them even more money in actual daycare fees.

This is exactly why we're telling him to work out the exact details and expectations of childcare with his sister. She very well could up and leave over some squabble. He's already encountered one hiccup in the first week due to just assuming that things will work out, there's many more to come.

-Rate per hour?
-Who is responsible for buying (food, diapering supplies, bedding, ect)?
-What if you want to take a vacation?
-What if your sister wants a vacation?
-When is your child too ill to come to her house? If her kid is running a fever should yours still be coming? What if your sister is ill? Does your sister still get paid for these days?
-When the kids is a bit older, what are the expectations of care? Will your sister assist habit training such as self feeding and toilet training? How will the child be disciplined? Will they both get to watch tv all day?

These are basic things that easily turn sour, come to an agreement on what will take place before they occur. Get a copy of a standard contract from a day care, make sure you are all in agreement about about what happens when [x] is [y].

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I want to dig into this commute.

45 minutes for 5 miles by bike. Even at 10mph, you're looking 30 minutes. At a normal pace this is probably ~25 minutes (hills suck to go up, but you can go faster on the way down).
45 minutes for walking 3 miles seems a bit low. Generally it's ~20 minutes per mile. This would take ~55-60 minutes or so.

So how long is this by car? 5 minutes, or with traffic lights, stop signs, traffic, more like 10? (not that you don't have these on the bike, but sometimes better paths without traffic control).

So does your sister come pick you up at home right now, take you to work and then pick you up at the end? I know she probably doesn't want to watch the kid for another ~30 minutes, but probably much better than having her get your baby and hers (was there more than this?) into the car, buckled up and go and get you.

Why don't you just talk to her, sounds like there is tension already and it's only been a few weeks. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is what everyone was warning you about.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

April posted:

So you have the $50 to cover the difference in payment to your sister this month, and you'll have $10 next month, so where will the extra $40 come from?
What? He has something like $5-600 budgeted for child expenses. $10 is BIKE expenses.

April
Jul 3, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

What? He has something like $5-600 budgeted for child expenses. $10 is BIKE expenses.

Ok, I must have misread this:

quote:

Because to me it looked like he was saying that he will use the $50 in his bike fund to pay his sister.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

moana posted:

Nah, he just assumed that everything would work out perfectly since that's how the world normally works. You know, like that one bumper sticker says, poo poo Never Happens

Well, I mean it IS an $800 car.

Just need to budget some extra money for gas.
and insurance.

And hope it doesn't need repairs or tires.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

MrEnigma posted:

45 minutes for 5 miles by bike. Even at 10mph, you're looking 30 minutes. At a normal pace this is probably ~25 minutes (hills suck to go up, but you can go faster on the way down).
45 minutes for walking 3 miles seems a bit low. Generally it's ~20 minutes per mile. This would take ~55-60 minutes or so.

It does also beg the question of why the bike commute has to be two whole miles more than the walking commute.

I can't say as I am familiar with Reno, but I have trouble believing that there is a place where pedestrian traffic is A-OK alongside cars but a bicycle is somehow not.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

Ok, but have you done what you have to do? As in, practiced your data structures and algorithms? Not every company does those kinds of interviews, but the more 'cutting-edge' tech companies tend to (and those tend to have the better jobs, on average).

You should probably do more practice interviews before you go for real ones. I'm up for it, or you could ask in the newbie programming interviews thread (or look at the list of goon mentors in the OP).

I have, but not enough. I did start that Cracking the Coding Interview book, but since I didn't plan on moving yet (again I didn't see $7k/yr I was thinking I would be looking at as worth all the effort) I didn't take it anywhere. I've got the baby by myself both days this weekend, but I can try to get some time in during his naps and stuff. Plus I can study on my lunch break.

Thank you for your offer for a mock interview. If you feel like you have the time that'd be really great, and if not then I'll absolutely check out the resources in the CoC thread. I do need to practice the aforementioned skills though.

From now on my secondary goal (just below living within our means and sticking to the budget) is going to be to get one of these six figure jobs. I'd be leaving a lot of money on the table by not trying to at least pursue.

Veskit please knock it off man I'm not being manipulative a second car has been justified and suggested by even some of my harshest critics in here. And keeping my sister happy is in our best interest to a point (shown below). Last I looked tubes that won't pop they're heavy as hell but only ~$15/ea. It could very well be different for road bikes I wouldn't know. It's also 20 minutes saved each way.

Keeping my sister happy is saving us $300/mo plus time right now. It is also in her best interest to keep the arrangement since she has a newborn to take care of herself, and she wants to spend the time with him during in the day.

April the money for my sister can come from the vet bills ($25) and the car maintenance fund ($25) since it looks like those are topped off enough right now (still need to do math). I can empty out bike costs of the remaining money first if necessary (again I have pretty much everything I need). That's assuming our current baby allocation won't meet the needs though (which it actually may).

MrEnigma posted:

So how long is this by car? 5 minutes, or with traffic lights, stop signs, traffic, more like 10? (not that you don't have these on the bike, but sometimes better paths without traffic control).

So does your sister come pick you up at home right now, take you to work and then pick you up at the end? I know she probably doesn't want to watch the kid for another ~30 minutes, but probably much better than having her get your baby and hers (was there more than this?) into the car, buckled up and go and get you.

Why don't you just talk to her, sounds like there is tension already and it's only been a few weeks. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is what everyone was warning you about.

There are big gradations each way and I'm out of shape. Plus a busy intersection I have to get across.

Car is ~8-10 minutes with 1 traffic light. That's on the highway. In the neighborhood it's longer (surprisingly longer).

We did talk yesterday this is my way of trying to ease tension. I get her concerns and I think they're valid. Some mornings she takes me and nearly every afternoon she picks me up. I think this is a good compromise.

Thread is moving too fast I can't answer all the questions. I'll try to hit important ones I missed later.

More on commute in a minute.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Antifreeze Head posted:

It does also beg the question of why the bike commute has to be two whole miles more than the walking commute.

I can't say as I am familiar with Reno, but I have trouble believing that there is a place where pedestrian traffic is A-OK alongside cars but a bicycle is somehow not.

The highway has no shoulder/bike lane, but about 20 feet on either side there is dirt road. Fine for walking but there's stickers everywhere which will tear up bike tires. 55mph on the 2 lane highway so I wouldn't be too comfortable riding my bike there. The longer bike route involves going through 3 different neighborhoods and up along a different highway.

I'll have to buy a GoPro so you guys can see my commute.

Edit oh and we'll pay my sister more next month anyway not this month.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Veskit please knock it off man I'm not being manipulative a second car has been justified and suggested by even some of my harshest critics in here. And keeping my sister happy is in our best interest to a point (shown below). Last I looked tubes that won't pop they're heavy as hell but only ~$15/ea. It could very well be different for road bikes I wouldn't know. It's also 20 minutes saved each way.

Wait wooooahhhhh. Your harshest critics recommended that you just go out and buy a car even though it's not in the budget? Or did you harshest critics recommend you buy a car with a major asterisk such as "Knyte you should buy a second car only after you get another job and it would require you to do so." That's what I've said and i've been pretty harsh lately because you selectively choose what you want to believe.

You find me the person who said you should start looking at cars now and consider having one given your financial situation. If you can't, I don't how the magic gently caress that isn't being manipulative to the thread and yourself.

Lastly I said tires and tubes. If you want to decrease your commute time while being able to ride on those types of things you're probably going to need new tubes and tires.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 14, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
np these seem to be well reviewed http://www.amazon.com/STOP-Flats2-MTB-Bicycle-Liner/dp/B0026R9DLM/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G44ZA6YHK08379C2J0A

Just gotta double check the width and read up on them but I bet I can find a solution by the end of the week.

To see the positives at least I brought this up to BFC instead of just going and buying a second car and *whelp*!

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

This is exactly why we're telling him to work out the exact details and expectations of childcare with his sister. She very well could up and leave over some squabble. He's already encountered one hiccup in the first week due to just assuming that things will work out, there's many more to come.

-Rate per hour?
-Who is responsible for buying (food, diapering supplies, bedding, ect)?
-What if you want to take a vacation?
-What if your sister wants a vacation?
-When is your child too ill to come to her house? If her kid is running a fever should yours still be coming? What if your sister is ill? Does your sister still get paid for these days?
-When the kids is a bit older, what are the expectations of care? Will your sister assist habit training such as self feeding and toilet training? How will the child be disciplined? Will they both get to watch tv all day?

These are basic things that easily turn sour, come to an agreement on what will take place before they occur. Get a copy of a standard contract from a day care, make sure you are all in agreement about about what happens when [x] is [y].

We're just agreeing to a monthly rate. Regarding sick babies I don't know I'll talk to her about that (about to take lunch she let me borrow her car today instead of driving me).

We're each responsible for buying our own baby's stuff.

Sister won't take a vacation we're her sole income she can't afford it. I probably won't take a vacation I'd be bored just sitting at home (I'll save my time for interviews).

I'll bring up all the questions anyway though. It's time for a sitdown with all of us again. I don't think the arrangement is in danger but yes it's some stuff that needs clarification.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Knyteguy posted:

45 minute bike ride (5 miles through hilly neighborhood), 45 minute walk (3 miles on the highway). One way. 4 days a week that's potentially 4 hours extra my sister has to work and she's not liking picking me up every day. I don't want a car I think I need a car. It's not a matter of character right now it's a matter of time. I'm trying to work with what I've got right now.

OK, in reference to this and the rest of your commute responses.

It shouldn't take you any longer than about 25 minutes even with hills to do 5 miles. And guess what? Once you do it twice a day for a few weeks, it will be WAY easier. You build yourself up quick on a bike. Plus you need to do this for your own health.

Should you ride/walk along a busy freeway? With a newborn at home? Is this the best option? Stop being loving lazy, dude. I regularly ride 12-15 miles after work in my hilly neighborhood and it never takes longer than 48 minutes. 5 miles should be easy once you get started. Stop making excuses.

:negative:

edit: I mean come on man, this is what is best for you and your family, you want to be in good health. I promise you that it won't suck for very long, probably less than a week. You are really making a lot of excuses right now.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 14, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Wait wooooahhhhh. Your harshest critics recommended that you just go out and buy a car even though it's not in the budget? Or did you harshest critics recommend you buy a car with a major asterisk such as "Knyte you should buy a second car only after you get another job and it would require you to do so." That's what I've said and i've been pretty harsh lately because you selectively choose what you want to believe.

You find me the person who said you should start looking at cars now and consider having one given your financial situation. If you can't, I don't how the magic gently caress that isn't being manipulative to the thread and yourself.

Lastly I said tires and tubes. If you want to decrease your commute time while being able to ride on those types of things you're probably going to need new tubes and tires.

I'm not gonna call anyone out but it has been mentioned both recently and around 4-5 months ago. Maybe I misunderstood the time frame though.

RheaConfused posted:

OK, in reference to this and the rest of your commute responses.

It shouldn't take you any longer than about 25 minutes even with hills to do 5 miles. And guess what? Once you do it twice a day for a few weeks, it will be WAY easier. You build yourself up quick on a bike. Plus you need to do this for your own health.

Should you ride/walk along a busy freeway? With a newborn at home? Is this the best option? Stop being loving lazy, dude. I regularly ride 12-15 miles after work in my hilly neighborhood and it never takes longer than 48 minutes. 5 miles should be easy once you get started. Stop making excuses.

:negative:

edit: I mean come on man, this is what is best for you and your family, you want to be in good health. I promise you that it won't suck for very long, probably less than a week. You are really making a lot of excuses right now.

I was doing it twice a week consistently for weeks and it still kicked my rear end. It didn't help that it was like 20ºF out and my jacket would get soaked in sweat, making me colder and slower.

But again it wasn't the character problem of me being lazy, it was the time problem. I feel that's been sufficiently rectified (I spoke with my sister about it on lunch). Assuming those tube covers work or whatever. If not then like Veskit said I'll probably need to do something more. It'll have to come out of discretionary too so I'm hoping this works.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
My sympathies. Riding a bike five miles is hard work. Especially in a neighborhood, then through a busy intersection. I mean, I did it for a few months in Houston along Westheimer, going through the Galleria area. It was so hard. I cried every day.
Oh wait, no I didn't. Because I'm not a loving pansy. We had one car, he worked on the other side of the city, and I had to get to school and work somehow. Bike it was.
We also walk three miles (pushing a stroller) any time it's not raining. It takes us 45 minutes tops. You are one man.

HTFU.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Knyteguy posted:

Sister won't take a vacation we're her sole income she can't afford it. I probably won't take a vacation I'd be bored just sitting at home (I'll save my time for interviews).

You're her only source of income and you're paying an extra $50/mo inconvenience fee now. Sounds like you can walk/ride your bike, get the occasional ride, or am I missing something?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
"Hey guys it's not the actual bike ride that's bothering me. I admit it sucks but I'll do it if I can make it work time wise."
"Knyteguy stop being a pansy."
"No really I don't want to do it, but I will if it will work with time constraints."
"Harden up KG."

I trained Muay Thai in 100º weather 90% humidity for 3 months straight, 4-6+ hours a day. I used to punch and kick bags until my feet and knuckles bled, and get in fights with dudes way bigger than me, and we'd try to kill each other. I've even come pretty close to being knocked out in a smoker fight. All while mosquitoes were trying to eat me alive.
[/grandpa rant]

I know I was being a wuss with the bike ride, but I'm willing to do that despite that. The difficulty of the ride isn't what was holding me back.

edit so I'm just saying you guys can start calling me warriorguy or maybe spiderman if you want I won't complain

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 14, 2015

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
If you can get your ride down to 25 minutes, that's ~30 minutes a day difference. You could probably take 30 minute lunch at work if you take an hour right now, and make that a wash.

5 miles in 45 minutes is easily in running time territory. Maybe the actual distance is more?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I don't know your family dynamic well, but if you are your sisters only source of income why does it matter if you're late 30-45 mins a day. What does she have to run off to? I mean sure I could see the whole having to pick you up being annoying because she has to strap two kids into car seats to make the drive, but having to watch him for about an hour long a day doesn't seem like it should be a huge issue. This loops back to the whole, should have ironed out these details a while ago and not through trial and error.

Hopefully this doesn't become a pattern of you paying slightly more for babysitting every month.

"Oh I didn't know I'd have to take him to the doctor sometimes"
$50 more a month
"It's getting hard to make him lunch every day"
$25 more a month
"I don't really like watching him on Wednesdays"
$50 more a month

I mean I might be being a little dramatic, but it seems like a bad sign that literally 3 weeks into babysitting you're already having to pay more money as a convenience fee.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

MrEnigma posted:

If you can get your ride down to 25 minutes, that's ~30 minutes a day difference. You could probably take 30 minute lunch at work if you take an hour right now, and make that a wash.

5 miles in 45 minutes is easily in running time territory. Maybe the actual distance is more?

Possibly, but I may just be taking it slow. I'll do my first ride Monday so I'll time myself. I'll definitely aim for <= 25 minutes I should be able to do that with little hassle on the highway.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I don't know your family dynamic well, but if you are your sisters only source of income why does it matter if you're late 30-45 mins a day. What does she have to run off to? I mean sure I could see the whole having to pick you up being annoying because she has to strap two kids into car seats to make the drive, but having to watch him for about an hour long a day doesn't seem like it should be a huge issue. This loops back to the whole, should have ironed out these details a while ago and not through trial and error.

Hopefully this doesn't become a pattern of you paying slightly more for babysitting every month.

"Oh I didn't know I'd have to take him to the doctor sometimes"
$50 more a month
"It's getting hard to make him lunch every day"
$25 more a month
"I don't really like watching him on Wednesdays"
$50 more a month

I mean I might be being a little dramatic, but it seems like a bad sign that literally 3 weeks into babysitting you're already having to pay more money as a convenience fee.

That was my offer not her request on the money though. And I didn't say it was for the extra time.

I wouldn't expect her to have to run him to the doctor without me or my wife however. I'd personally want gas money at least in her position. I get what you're saying we'll talk over points with her.

To answer the immediate question my sister and I spoke and everything is cool. I think she's more concerned about something else that we can fix relatively easily.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

I'm not gonna call anyone out but it has been mentioned both recently and around 4-5 months ago. Maybe I misunderstood the time frame though.

You just completely dodged any responsibility for what you're doing and what you said. You said you misunderstood the time frame yet you made the time frame between now and 5 months. You won't go find the posts because there either isn't any, or they have something wildly specific about when you should buy a car or why. There's a reason it's not on your budget Knyteguy and it's because it's never been truly in consideration, but just spitballed.

This is you being impulsive as you can possibly be, and you're trying to twist and turn what the thread actually said into what you wanted to hear to support your bad claims. I'm not falling for it and I'm telling you this is what you've been doing and knock it off. You're not going to get better denying the mistakes you make and trying to move on and do what you want. It's good that you're handling the situation, but I don't like one being so obviously trying to have one pulled over on me, then turn around and blame me for it.

Also now that I've thought it over did you seriously consider a car because your sister started bugging you that you should have one and send you ads for one? How long have you been looking at cars for?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

You just completely dodged any responsibility for what you're doing and what you said. You said you misunderstood the time frame yet you made the time frame between now and 5 months. You won't go find the posts because there either isn't any, or they have something wildly specific about when you should buy a car or why. There's a reason it's not on your budget Knyteguy and it's because it's never been truly in consideration, but just spitballed.

This is you being impulsive as you can possibly be, and you're trying to twist and turn what the thread actually said into what you wanted to hear to support your bad claims. I'm not falling for it and I'm telling you this is what you've been doing and knock it off. You're not going to get better denying the mistakes you make and trying to move on and do what you want. It's good that you're handling the situation, but I don't like one being so obviously trying to have one pulled over on me, then turn around and blame me for it.

Also now that I've thought it over did you seriously consider a car because your sister started bugging you that you should have one and send you ads for one? How long have you been looking at cars for?

I didn't dodge responsibility. One was about me making the wrong sacrifices in regards to riding my bike, and at least one other post even had a budget idea.

I didn't even bring up the idea about buying a car. People were saying hey what about another job (or similar) and I said well I would need a second car. Which is true. A car has multiple benefits for my situation at the moment. Anyway that's how all of this started. I'm not trying to pull one over on anyone I promise. Yes I want a car it would be really helpful, but if I wanted it that badly I would've just bought it and said oh well next month will be better right guys least the net worth didn't go down. At least I didn't do that.

And I wasn't trying to blame you for it and I'm glad everyone got all up in arms. It tells me certainly what the correct decision was even if there were some communication problems along the way.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 14, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

I probably won't take a vacation I'd be bored just sitting at home (I'll save my time for interviews).
Good use of vacation time. Make sure to utilize it all, unless your boss cashes it out upon parting ways. My company doesn't, so people quitting soon make sure to use it allllll!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

I know I was being a wuss with the bike ride

Knyteguy posted:

The difficulty of the ride isn't what was holding me back

:confused:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Good use of vacation time. Make sure to utilize it all, unless your boss cashes it out upon parting ways. My company doesn't, so people quitting soon make sure to use it allllll!

Thanks yep no payouts. Can't do anything about sick time I guess I don't want to call off work a bunch.

I was kind of complaining about the ride, but I also said I guess I'll just have to do it.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

However in the midst of writing that post up I realized that you guys are being hard on me because of my stated financial goals. I've never said that my goal was to save 20% of our income and retire at 65. You guys are just trying to help me meet what I loving said I want to do. Sorry everyone. I'll try to listen more to the input here instead of arguing so much.

EDIT: Every page should maybe start with this quote so you can remember why people are "being harsh".

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 14, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

I think she's more concerned about something else that we can fix relatively easily.

What is it what is it tell us what it is please man don't hide 'little unimportant things' from us because gently caress man your history in this thread has shown us pretty consistently that you're bad a gauging what is a small problem and what is a big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

EDIT: Every page should maybe start with this quote so you can remember why people are "being harsh".

I didn't say anyone was being harsh today.

Breetai posted:

What is it what is it tell us what it is please man don't hide 'little unimportant things' from us because gently caress man your history in this thread has shown us pretty consistently that you're bad a gauging what is a small problem and what is a big one.

I'm not hiding it. I didn't feel like it's worth mentioning that my sister wants us to drop our son off at my mom's house where she lives sometimes. That happens to be less than a mile from where I work so it's not a big deal.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 15, 2015

• Locked thread