Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Koobes posted:

If I wanted to do a second run, can I use the same twitter account, or do I have to make a throwaway?

You can re-register once your victory has been confirmed (gold star on your "players" page).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

You were saying something about how !Gaia isn't real magic...?

:smug:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Since no one apparently had that list I asked about, I went digging around in last year's thread and found it myself (credit to Mega64 for writing it up in the first place). Can we get this in the OP this time? It's pretty helpful for quickly knowing what statuses bosses are vulnerable to, which as most of us know is a good thing to know when you want to break FF5 over your knee.

http://pastebin.com/Qr7b5Bnz

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bufuman posted:

Since no one apparently had that list I asked about, I went digging around in last year's thread and found it myself (credit to Mega64 for writing it up in the first place). Can we get this in the OP this time? It's pretty helpful for quickly knowing what statuses bosses are vulnerable to, which as most of us know is a good thing to know when you want to break FF5 over your knee.

That guide shows XDeath as vulnerable to slow. Isn't that actually a Very Bad Idea unless you cast reflect on him since he'll react by Hasting himself and then rolling your face in all the quicker?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bufuman posted:

I expanded it to a full proper boss guide. Hopefully I'll finally finish it this weekend.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

I expanded it to a full proper boss guide. Hopefully I'll finally finish it this weekend.

Hot drat, looking forward to it.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Archenteron posted:

That guide shows XDeath as vulnerable to slow. Isn't that actually a Very Bad Idea unless you cast reflect on him since he'll react by Hasting himself and then rolling your face in all the quicker?

Yep. But the point of the guide isn't to say "this is a bad idea" just "the boss isn't immune to this".

EDIT: The pastebin link, not Mega64's page there.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mountaineer posted:

You were saying something about how !Gaia isn't real magic...?

:smug:

It seems oddly convenient that you didn't include a picture of the damage~

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I was really hoping I could get Omega this run but he is just wrecking me over and over, I'm having a hard time figuring out the timing for stopping him with a bard, he just gets out of it too quick even with three people with sing.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Wolverine Tamer posted:

Run 2 complete, Beast/Beast/Beast/Dragoon have taken down both NED and Shinryu.

I got lucky while fighting Shinryu and actually managed to steal the dragon whisker from him, which wound up doing pretty decent damage against Neo's dragon part (a little more than 2k).

I'd take down Omega too, but apparently I sold my blitz whip at some point so I guess I can forget about that :(

can't you just use the chain-calm method to wreck omega?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You could always buy a Javelin and hit him with that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Maleketh posted:

Having used a time mage in my current run I can tell you that this is completely untrue. I used Mute to great effect on the mage-heavy groups in Castle Exdeath.

hunh, that's what someone in here said. looking at it a bit more it looks like that's not true. fair enough

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Supremezero posted:

It seems oddly convenient that you didn't include a picture of the damage~

Sorry, didn't think to get a picture of the damage. It was a couple thousand though since Lenna was buffed to the gills thanks to !Mix. (Not pictured: my Chemist fighting Minotaur with my second Bard). !Mix allowed me to Berserk Omniscient so he couldn't do anything while I beat him down with mixes and !Gaia.

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

No Such Thing posted:

can't you just use the chain-calm method to wreck omega?

If I could cause more than 0 damage, I would.
Unfortunately Omega has more than 39996 hp, so in addition to releasing 4 yellow dragons/hydras (which I don't think I have access to anymore), I'd have to do damage via another means as well.

I could be overlooking something, of course. I'm not that familiar with the game.

Edit:

NGDBSS posted:

Use the Trident, which you can buy in Jachol and which is also lightning-elemental.

I'd completely forgotten about the Trident :doh:
Guess it's time to go beat up a big rear end robot

Wolverine Tamer fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 27, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wolverine Tamer posted:

Run 2 complete, Beast/Beast/Beast/Dragoon have taken down both NED and Shinryu.

I got lucky while fighting Shinryu and actually managed to steal the dragon whisker from him, which wound up doing pretty decent damage against Neo's dragon part (a little more than 2k).

I'd take down Omega too, but apparently I sold my blitz whip at some point so I guess I can forget about that :(
Use the Trident, which you can buy in Jachol and which is also lightning-elemental.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Would it be better to have my Dancer use Barehanded or the Chicken Knife? My group is Monk/Dancer/Samurai/Chemist

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay gently caress this, I suppose it's TECHNICALLY possible to beat Shinryu with Monk/Berserker/Berserker/Dragoon without Dragon Lances, but I don't have the patience for it, and farming rare steals with a Thief's Knife and two uncontrollable party members and no sources of healing outside of items is way too much of a pain in the rear end. gently caress Shinryu, I'm just going for the win.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

setafd posted:

Would it be better to have my Dancer use Barehanded or the Chicken Knife? My group is Monk/Dancer/Samurai/Chemist

i think chicken knife is like the best thing in the game

at level 36 my sword dancer lenna was hitting for 9999 with chicken knife

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

setafd posted:

You can do both if you wanted, as barehanded also gives you a monk's strength, IIRC. Not sure if it's optimal but it's an option that exists.

Also:

Big thanks to NGDBSS for pointing out to me that the trident is lightning-elemental.

First triple crown whooo!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

setafd posted:

Surprisingly, depending on your level the answer might be Barehanded. Chicken Knife is amazing, but Barehanded results in a double attack for Sword Dance. It also does a pretty decent job of fixing Monk's crap damage output. And given that you have a Chemist, your level is whatever you want. At level 62, barehanded's attack power equals the maxed out chicken knife (level * 2 + 3) (While each hit is still inferior to the chicken knife due to Chicken Knife taking both Str And Agi into account, the fact that you're hitting twice offsets that). Twice. At level 99, Barehanded's attack power is 201, and at 255 (the cap for chemist/bard, as I recall), it's a completely ridiculous 513.

Dancer, Chemist, and Bard are the best fixes I can think of for Monks, and you got 2 of them. Have fun.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 27, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

It is done. Not in time for the Fartz fest, but a win is a win, and as I said, not bothering with Shinryu because I'm not going to try to farm Dragon Lances with a Thief's Knife.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
Alright, this is my 1st ever time through this game.

The twitter bot's given me Monk/Red Mage/ Bard/ Samurai. Are there any pro-tips to get me to the end of my adventure or have I drawn the lovely skills?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Magner posted:

Alright, this is my 1st ever time through this game.

The twitter bot's given me Monk/Red Mage/ Bard/ Samurai. Are there any pro-tips to get me to the end of my adventure or have I drawn the lovely skills?

Supremezero posted:

At level 62, barehanded's attack power equals the maxed out chicken knife (level * 2 + 3)

Bard can raise your party's levels.

Wheeeeeeeee

Monk's going to be terrible from the end of World 1 until you get Hero's Rime, though, unless you just hand him a katana.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
I just found something cool out about the Wendigo fight. It's not necessarily efficient or anything, but it was something I noticed.

Wendigo is level seven. With the use of one Dark Spark, it becomes level three, susceptible to Lvl 3 Flare. If you target the wrong Wendigo with Dark Spark, ALL fake Wendigos become level 3. Use level 3 flare and it'll only target the false ones, revealing the real one. Equip your team to absorb ice and now you can use Lvl 3 flare to essentially free heal your team, and simultaneously reveal the real Wendigo!

I am playing GBA btw. I dunno if this is already known or not but hey, I figured this one out on my own haha!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

But if you hit the real Wendigo with Dark Spark, wouldn't it mean that Level 3 Flare is a guaranteed hit and that you don't need to worry about the fake ones?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

KharlanTree posted:

I just found something cool out about the Wendigo fight. It's not necessarily efficient or anything, but it was something I noticed.

Wendigo is level seven. With the use of one Dark Spark, it becomes level three, susceptible to Lvl 3 Flare. If you target the wrong Wendigo with Dark Spark, ALL fake Wendigos become level 3. Use level 3 flare and it'll only target the false ones, revealing the real one. Equip your team to absorb ice and now you can use Lvl 3 flare to essentially free heal your team, and simultaneously reveal the real Wendigo!

I am playing GBA btw. I dunno if this is already known or not but hey, I figured this one out on my own haha!

That's a pretty neat strategy, I wouldn't have expected Dark Spark to apply to all of the fake Wendigos. I'll have to try this the next time I do that fight with a Blue Mage.

ultrafilter posted:

But if you hit the real Wendigo with Dark Spark, wouldn't it mean that Level 3 Flare is a guaranteed hit and that you don't need to worry about the fake ones?

Well, it's beneficial in either outcome, then.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

ultrafilter posted:

That would probably be true! I only played through the fight once, and with a 75% chance of not hitting the real one the first time, and playing on a GBA, I don't necessarily feel like testing it out haha.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

iOS/Android Exdeath is ridiculous. Did he always have permanent regen and constant dispel spam? Goodbye all of my elixirs, hello merged world.

e: also yellow dragon releases weren't working.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 27, 2015

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Now time for the "grind to survive an Almagest" portion of the show. Curses.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KharlanTree posted:

That would probably be true! I only played through the fight once, and with a 75% chance of not hitting the real one the first time, and playing on a GBA, I don't necessarily feel like testing it out haha.
I think they mentioned in the prefiesta stream that Wendigo always starts out in the top right?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

iOS/Android Exdeath is ridiculous. Did he always have permanent regen and constant dispel spam? Goodbye all of my elixirs, hello merged world.

from what I've read it's in the coding in the gba/snes games, but was never 'active'.

just beat exdeath myself and lookin forward to getting to pimp my team out with the good stuff.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Evil Eagle posted:

... ow.

Why is it so huge. It's using timg.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I-is Lenna flipping Exdeath off?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

She's casting the level 5 white spell gently caress Off.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

oldskool posted:

Now time for the "grind to survive an Almagest" portion of the show. Curses.

Your team is Summon/Berserker/Berserker/Geomancer, right?

You can save yourself some grinding by priming the Wonder Wand to cast shell next and then bopping one of the non-berserkers before it goes off, then quickly get everyone back up and healed and it should be alright.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

Better than whatever The Incredible Hulk is going to do there.

Hulk HEAL!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Better than whatever The Incredible Hulk is going to do there.

Hulk HEAL!

Zombie Butz with the healing staff saved me more than once. Also I ran out of holy water.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So Twinlance doesn't work with Spellblade.

Alas, my unstoppable M.Knight/Ninja has found a flaw in her perfect death attacks of Drainsword.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Second run done :toot:

I did not bother to fight Shinryu as I forgot to get Coral Rings, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mountaineer posted:

Second run done :toot:

I did not bother to fight Shinryu as I forgot to get Coral Rings, oh well.

You could just blind and berserk him with your chemist.

• Locked thread