Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Well, caught up on all the videos. What a shitshow of a game.

Edit: OK, why did the batsignal break at the end?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I remembered what was the third thing in the "unholy triad" that I talk about at around the 10 minute mark: the no-kill rule.

Samovar posted:

Edit: OK, why did the batsignal break at the end?

Erm.... the Bat is dead? :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

radintorov posted:

What the hell was that "true ending" supposed to be? :psyduck:

Don't expect the DLC to explain it. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

radintorov posted:

Probably the Joker.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

my favorite part of the credits was them showing images from the three main games, but then the credits kept going so they showed the Asylum and City sets twice

John Liver
May 4, 2009

radintorov posted:

Are they trying to imply that Bruce/Gordon/the police/somebody is fighting crime by using Scarecrow's fear toxin?

How? Is it in the water supply, like fluoride? If so that's a whole nother level of super hosed-up.

...oh who am I kidding, it's probably just a cop-out because they ran out of production time.

Bruceski posted:

Probably the Joker.

I can't wait for the next game when this becomes the unironic truth.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I recall promising something along the lines of this.

http://www.dccomics.com/characters/earth-47

Can we get a rocksteady batman game set in this place.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

John Liver posted:

Are they trying to imply that Bruce/Gordon/the police/somebody is fighting crime by using Scarecrow's fear toxin?

How? Is it in the water supply, like fluoride? If so that's a whole nother level of super hosed-up.

...oh who am I kidding, it's probably just a cop-out because they ran out of production time.

Well, we had one proven successor, who had all the right ingredients to become the next bat, along with a distinct lack of scruples, and who was also a major part of the other Knightfall.

But yeah, it won't get explained, beyond "There is a new Batman who is darker and nastier because that's allegedly what's needed."

One potential clue that it's Azrael is that the Bat-Symbol glows. Always had a weakness for the fire motif, did that boy.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Someone's definitely using the fear toxin to make an even more terrifying Batman. Odds are it's still Bruce, able to live free of public inquiry now that he's "dead". The delivery system is probably some sort of smoke pellet. Sure, the innocent family would be affected, but as long as he doesn't do anything to them I'm sure they'll all draw the right conclusions in the end.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I suppose it was too much to ask that Bruce Wayne's fake murder actually be used as a tool for social progress and police reform leading to a happy Gotham. Instead we get another super villain. The ending works a lot better if you get the bad one, how the hell did rocksteady screw that up?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Vicissitude posted:

Someone's definitely using the fear toxin to make an even more terrifying Batman. Odds are it's still Bruce, able to live free of public inquiry now that he's "dead". The delivery system is probably some sort of smoke pellet. Sure, the innocent family would be affected, but as long as he doesn't do anything to them I'm sure they'll all draw the right conclusions in the end.

Could also be from all the mooks getting gassed earlier and it still being in their system somewhat, though I'm all for crowman.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Since nobody mentioned it yet, Catwoman does still call Batman "Bruce" if you complete the Riddler mission before finishing the main story. In fact, none of the dialogue from the Riddler finale seems to be different, all the way to putting him in the cell! I do have to say, though, "Gotham needs something other than me" looks more believable when Batman's under the full effect of Jokerization.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FoolyCharged posted:

I suppose it was too much to ask that Bruce Wayne's fake murder actually be used as a tool for social progress and police reform leading to a happy Gotham. Instead we get another super villain. The ending works a lot better if you get the bad one, how the hell did rocksteady screw that up?

I don't know if you've noticed, but the writing in this game is really bad.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Night10194 posted:

I don't know if you've noticed, but the writing in this game is really bad.

I disagree its not excellent, its probably not great, hell you could even make a case for it not being good. But no it's not bad. it has few really bad moments but they are equally countered by a few really great and even excellent moments. For the most part though it's average to good quality in it's story telling and character interactions.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 21, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't remember if I asked, so I probably have about two or three times already, but what happened to Clayface? Did Batman kill him and just never address that?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

He was dropped into a Lazarus Pit, so he's probably not dead. Other than that it's never brought up.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
And even the bat-damned credits get Joker-jacked.

You know, if it wasn't an Arkham Beyond game next in the series (anyone else catch the thugs talking about "Asylum, City and Knight? What's next?" "Maybe we should leave Gotham." "Why? It's been good to us!" as meta-commentary?), can you imagine a 'Battle for the Cowl' type game, where Azreal, Nightwing and others try to prove who is the better fit for the title of Batman now that Bruce is out of the picture?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Platinum games available on PC:

Transformers: Devastation - Very fun, hoping to LP it myself
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Very poor apparently, save your bucks

Wow, that ending was a huge disappointment.

You didn't mention (unless I missed it), any plans for the Red Hood DLC? I mean, not that I expect it to be worth the time and effort, and you've already done your part.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

http://www.dccomics.com/characters/earth-47

Can we get a rocksteady batman game set in this place.

http://www.dccomics.com/characters/earth-26
There's a better Earth for a Rocksteady Arkham game.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Since nobody mentioned it yet, Catwoman does still call Batman "Bruce" if you complete the Riddler mission before finishing the main story. In fact, none of the dialogue from the Riddler finale seems to be different, all the way to putting him in the cell! I do have to say, though, "Gotham needs something other than me" looks more believable when Batman's under the full effect of Jokerization.

Isn't not possible to finish the Riddler before the post game? I though the last of the riddles didn;t unlock until after his unmasking.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I wonder: how hard would it be to implement co-op in a future Arkham game? I can totally see Nightwing and Robin (maybe Jason trying to redeem himself?) teaming up to get the city back under control after Bruce's "death".
It could be a nightmare on the "open world" sections, but they already have some semblance of combination takedowns in combat, and co-op predator sections could be amazing if Splinter Cell Blacklist is any indication.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think couch co-op would kind of be terrible for the Arkham Series, but a potentially interesting idea would be to do a battle for the cowl game where you and your friends all pick a successor and then are dropped into Gotham City to prove which one is the best Batman. So for example you play as Red Hood, you're brutal, you have guns, you kill the criminals and have an upgrade tree built around this idea. Your friend is Nightwing, he's agile, he's fast, he follows Bruce's Ideals and his upgrade tree is different to represent this. Repeat with a bunch of other choices, like Robin, Nightmare Batman or Azrael, maybe even Barbara gets to mess around as a drone controller character who polices the streets with Riddler style robots and such.

Then you all travel around Gotham trying to be the first to take out Two-Face, or Penguin, or Riddler, and each has their own plot going on. Person who takes out the most criminals has their special ending play and the others recognise them as the new Batman.

Of course you could also do a game where you can do it single player, but it also has the option for a co-op campaign if you have a friend with the game. You both work together to clean up the city. So for example sometimes there are situations that require both people in one place, but you might also get conflicting calls. For example at the East Gotham Docks Penguin is holding a tanker of goods hostage and is going to take them for himself if you don't stop him, meanwhile in the West Gotham Business District Two-Face is holding up a bank for money. Suddenly you have to split up and do different things.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Beware your potential future of Bat Decisions, Scruffy.

Also there is an unspoken joy in visualizing Nigma as the King of Sov Cits in Batman's world. "I'll represent myself in court and if the Judge doesn't understand that my Jurisprudence is the Superior Understanding of all Laws, than he is a cheating fool and it is a mistrial!"

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 21, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gently caress that assassin riddle, it took me forever to find the loving thing

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Well. That was a stupid ending.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

To nobody's surprise, the knightfall protocol involved faking Bruce's death; although Wayne manor blowing up was a bit too blatant to be believable (the again, comic books).

And then the actual ending :ughh:
Gordon running for mayor was a nice touch, Barbara marrying Tim (was that Tim in the photo) was nice, and then they gently caress it up horribly with grimderp Bats using Scarecrow's toxin. God loving drat it.

Dunno, maybe, maybe, the plot is not going to be Jokerjacked, and if pigs fly it won't be grimderp either.
The main villains will be the Falcone family, we'll see Harvey's fall and the Joker is going to be the next episode hook.
Let a man hope will ya?

Oh who am I kidding, it's totally going the Origins way.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I'm for this Battle for the Cowl scenario if one of the people trying to prove that they're worthy to take the Batman title is the Riddler.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Omobono posted:

And then the actual ending :ughh:
Gordon running for mayor was a nice touch, Barbara marrying Tim (was that Tim in the photo) was nice, and then they gently caress it up horribly with grimderp Bats using Scarecrow's toxin. God loving drat it.
That bit right at the end ruins it: there are other ways they could've gone with it, some of which clichèd but that would've still been better.
Bat-demon was just dumb.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

dscruffy1 posted:

I can pretty much tell you seeing all the challenge maps is a wash.

A good number of them are the same shape arena with the same pattern of mooks spawning in but with a different character and a different backdrop! Apparently, along the way someone forgot that you could do all of the challenges as anyone already.

I bought the game. I 120%'ed the game. I'm playing New Game+ now because I hate myself.

Gripes:
The batmobile is so horrible for so long -- then you get used to its jankiness for the most part. I bought it on PC -- I don't recommend this.

Firefly got away twice in a row because the batmobile fell through the ground.

The performance is terrible for no particularly good reason.

Harley's timing is weird and she can't do critical strikes so she's essentially a challenge mode when attempting to do a score attack mode. Also, her Mayhem mode sucks. After you take down 20 guys, you get to do 3 whole takedown moves!

Alt+number key is a horrible way to do takedowns. Environmental takedowns don't work consistently.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

That bit right at the end ruins it: there are other ways they could've gone with it, some of which clichèd but that would've still been better.
Bat-demon was just dumb.

I agree. Just let Batman disappear at this point. Have one of the other four or five vigilantes in Gotham take over and have Bruce work from behind the scenes, like he does in Batman Beyond.

Also, I found this video a few months back. Someone using the PC version found the mesh model for Nightmare Batman as they call him. It looks really rough, but then again this wasn't meant to be looked at outside of that final cutscene. I especially like the pig nose they've put on the model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xieFB0zkl1Y

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

psivamp posted:

A good number of them are the same shape arena with the same pattern of mooks spawning in but with a different character and a different backdrop! Apparently, along the way someone forgot that you could do all of the challenges as anyone already.

About that. At launch the challenges were locked to specific characters. Doing it as any character only came later. Which is another complaint I had about challenge maps. I also beat this 120% and I'm playing through on NG+ because easter egg reasons. Also because I hate myself.

CzarChasm posted:

You didn't mention (unless I missed it), any plans for the Red Hood DLC? I mean, not that I expect it to be worth the time and effort, and you've already done your part.

I'll be doing it, but it's not very good. Out of all the Arkham episodes, it's the weakest in terms of story and execution.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

mateo360 posted:

Isn't not possible to finish the Riddler before the post game? I though the last of the riddles didn;t unlock until after his unmasking.

You can do everything before the final story mission. In fact, I played through the game a while back and did all the side stuff and never did the final mission. Pretty sure I still have the save file for that too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

I'll be doing it, but it's not very good. Out of all the Arkham episodes, it's the weakest in terms of story and execution.

Probably because they didn't want to address the elephant in the room of "Hey, maybe that Jason Todd guy should get arrested for terrorism."

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Phew, finally made it to the end of the thread. Thanks for playing Scruffy so we don't have too. Sheesh i was so excited for this: Asylum was amazing, City was a "lets take the amazing arkham combat and put it in an open world" which kinda worked. Knight was the chance for them to fix all the problems with City and make an amazing open world batman combat simulator. Oh well, i'm glad i only have a PC so that I didn't get tempted to purchase it.

Speaking of the awful writing, what is it about Mr. Freeze that makes him the only character the writers can do decently? He was awesome in BTAS, city and knight. Everything else was "hurr i'm evil but i suck at being evil".

I want them to remake asylum and just give a few bat upgrades (grappel boost is sorely missed) and better boss fights than titan everything. Since they won't do that without loving it up (hello remasters), i guess i can just play asylum and feed on nostalgia.

Speaking of Arkham combat, everyone should play sleeping dogs. Its a GTA clone set in hong kong where the main character is a martial arts master and it uses the arkham combat. its one of my alltime favorite games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Probably because they didn't want to address the elephant in the room of "Hey, maybe that Jason Todd guy should get arrested for terrorism."

It was also pre-order DLC, so they tried to make it so it wasn't obvious that the Red Hood was the Arkham Knight (even though they have very similar helmets)

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

dscruffy1 posted:

About that. At launch the challenges were locked to specific characters. Doing it as any character only came later. Which is another complaint I had about challenge maps. I also beat this 120% and I'm playing through on NG+ because easter egg reasons. Also because I hate myself.

That actually explains it pretty well.

Catwoman DLC is hard.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Lechtansi posted:

Speaking of the awful writing, what is it about Mr. Freeze that makes him the only character the writers can do decently? He was awesome in BTAS, city and knight. Everything else was "hurr i'm evil but i suck at being evil".

I think it's because Mr. Freeze actually has a somewhat compelling character motivation; it pushes a person to write him as complicated, human, and empathetic. It's much harder to take, say, Penguin, whose basic gimmick can generally be boiled down to 'greedy gently caress', and make him particularly interesting or stand out amongst the rest of the rogue's gallery. Mr. Freeze, on the other hand, practically hands you a compelling plot arc on a platter and allows you to garnish it to your choosing, and you have to try pretty hard to gently caress it up.

If memory serves, prior to the animated series, Mr. Freeze was just another random rear end in a top hat thief with random freezeray bullshit (ala, I guess, Snart from the Flash tv series, but presumably less interesting?).

I seem to recall Mr. Freeze also having an absolutely heartbreaking appearance in Batman Beyond.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I honestly wouldn't call freeze all that interesting in the Arkham series, because it's just the animated series freeze copy pasted repeatedly with no variation. The base is good, but rocksteady never left it.
Firefly gets more deviation in his motivations and interactions for christ's sake.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I seem to recall Mr. Freeze also having an absolutely heartbreaking appearance in Batman Beyond.

Yeah. By his last appearance in the Batman animated series, he was just a head on a little spider body because his own had begun to decay. However, he's effectively immortal. The big bad in Beyond managed to get hold of him and keep him in isolation while they ran tests for years. He admitted to the doctors that he prayed every minute for death. But they offered him a chance at life in a cloned body. Sadly, the freeze process that made him what he was also corrupted his DNA and his new body quickly reverted and he once more donned an upgraded freeze suit to take revenge on the doctors. When Terry tried to save him from a burning building he let out probably the most depressing line from the most depressing character: "Believe me, you're the only one who cares." :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand, it's always seemed to me that even after his reinvention in BTAS, the comics never really came up with anything to do with him. Most of the time he's in stories, it's a reiteration of his origin with the added twist of "actually, he was a delusional/abusive murderer all along, psych!"

Also, I wanted to post this before the thread finally closed.

Batman: Arkham Knight, Rocksteady Games, 2015

• Locked thread