Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iverron
May 13, 2012

Phobeste posted:

nah, still applies. the outcome of that CI/CD pipeline is versioned, metadatad, signed artifacts sent to a server somewhere that your devices ping for self updates whenever they happen to be on the network and that your company website uses so users can manually download them and update them offline if they choose.

I vastly prefer SO as a candidate, but I also don't use my SO account for anything but applications and haven't gotten an offer yet so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

mishaq posted:

im so sorry
don't be, they pay really well and being marginally competent at your job has you slated for promotion immediately when you roll in implementing fresh new ideas like "automated testing" and "change control"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah it's good base but obviously we're not doing as well as goog/fb/etc so additional comp is clearly not worth as much. that said i'm a l2 (mid-level) and my total comp is north of 150k

uhhhhhhh

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

JawnV6 posted:

uhhhhhhh

i lost track but isn't this a flyover state job? "north of $150k" is good when $400k buys you a luxury house in the middle of the city

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Twerk from Home posted:

i lost track but isn't this a flyover state job? "north of $150k" is good when $400k buys you a luxury house in the middle of the city

i love how committed to the "everything outside of pittsburgh is flyover country" this forum is. boston is flyover now, seriously?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah it's good base but obviously we're not doing as well as goog/fb/etc so additional comp is clearly not worth as much. that said i'm a l2 (mid-level) and my total comp is north of 150k

a deece 6.5 figgies nice

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

150k total comp is only what? 110? 120? in cash

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

150k total comp is only what? 110? 120? in cash

it's deece money op

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sniep posted:

it's deece money op

yeah it is most definitely deece, but its not like 'HOILY WOW 150 TOTAL COMP'

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

carry on then posted:

i love how committed to the "everything outside of pittsburgh is flyover country" this forum is. boston is flyover now, seriously?

oh wait $150k total comp in boston? fuuuuuuuuuuck that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its pretty good for boston. it's probably 35-40% more than i was making in boston

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

boston's tech market is a lot like london's. stupid expensive place to be without the inflated comp to make up for it

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

wheres our favorite Bostonion - who has greater per capita happiness than us and a girls car.

I hope he's ok.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

hes smart enoguh to not be in tech tho

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bloody posted:

a deece 6.5 figgies nice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

boston's tech market is a lot like london's. stupid expensive place to be without the inflated comp to make up for it

maybe it's because boston is actually a place where people want to live unlike nyc and sf

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

new york does the only good thing about boston (public transit) better so idk why anybody would want to live in that bostonian-infested hellhole more than new york

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

people in boston talk like bugs bunny and in the summer it gets so hot and humid your eyeballs fog up

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Bloody posted:

new york does the only good thing about boston (public transit) better so idk why anybody would want to live in that bostonian-infested hellhole more than new york

its also the greatest city on the planet and Boston is near the bottom

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i've been keeping tabs on boston for infosec positions and the comps to nyc aren't even close. 160-175 in manhattan with a massive number of openings is probably closer to 110-125 in boston.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

id rather live in boston than sf

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mishaq posted:

pretty much this, but I'd probably move back to LA if I got a decent offer.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Bloody posted:

my friend wants to move to london and seems to think the increased wages there will cover the difference in cost of living

i was just like... you'll be doing manual labour or call centre poo poo, the difference isn't gonna allow you to live in anything bigger than a bin

london is too expensive a place for the people who are born there to keep living there, it's quite the system

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

4 sure

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

yeah it is most definitely deece, but its not like 'HOILY WOW 150 TOTAL COMP'

no one said it was but i'm also L2 and not senior so :shrug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i'd 100% rather live in boston than silicon valley or nyc. rents here are absurd but not that bad.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sure, but in nyc or sf you get sackfuls of figgies to pay for that rent. boston is just pretty good in comparison.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah but sf is an awful place that is worse than boston

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

yeah but then you have to live in a postage stamp sized box with a roommate to not pay a fortune

also aside from fb, etsy, datadog, and google who else is in nyc that pays at that rate other than fintech?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you say fintech like banking might not be a colossal industry in the financial capital of the world

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah but then you have to live in a postage stamp sized box with a roommate to not pay a fortune

also aside from fb, etsy, datadog, and google who else is in nyc that pays at that rate other than fintech?

fintech pays like an actually 6.5 figgies man with bonuses, not the idiot 150k that people here call 6.5 figgies

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

every single financial firm regardless of size has little to no regard for money

this is also why our world is poo poo mind you, but it what it is

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

anyway i'd move to ny or sf if i got paid enough money to buy a dece 3 or 4 bedroom house in good shape without breaking affordability rules of thumbs

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Twerk from Home posted:

fintech pays like an actually 6.5 figgies man with bonuses, not the idiot 150k that people here call 6.5 figgies

this is why I'm considering trying for fintech jobs

anyone know what the hours are usually like? I've worked in games, so if it's not much worse than that it should be fine.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you work at a pizza place, you get a lot of free pizza as part of your comp

if you work at a finance place, well

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

anyway i'd move to ny or sf if i got paid enough money to buy a dece 3 or 4 bedroom house in good shape without breaking affordability rules of thumbs

so like literally multiple million dollars a year

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Bloody posted:

if you work at a pizza place, you get a lot of free pizza as part of your comp

if you work at a finance place, well

:homebrew::homebrew:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

everything and everywhere is poo poo fyi

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

leper khan posted:

this is why I'm considering trying for fintech jobs

anyone know what the hours are usually like? I've worked in games, so if it's not much worse than that it should be fine.
my hours are okay, no real core hours as long as you dial in for the standup at 9.30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

so like literally multiple million dollars a year

nah

you should be good with 600k, so you better have married another computer person or an anesthesiologist

• Locked thread