Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I haven't played in a while so I did all the d280s this week and I found the following made learning them pretty smooth:

2 in-realm dps
1 in-realm healer
1 Ramza or OK depending on team comp (Ramza with Shout for a physical team, Onion Knight with Vessel of Fate or mUSB for a mixed or magic dps team. If I had Onion's pUSB I would just use Onion for everything)
1 healer with a good USB (I used Ovelia and Relm for the first few, then I uhh somehow ended up with Elarra USB and used that)

You can drop the second healer for a lot of them but I was able to comfortably get under 30 or 40 seconds on most of the d280s with two dps. In my case I usually have two good dps per realm at most and the third would have to be some yokel with a bad sb spamming abilities

one thing that I found really helpful is putting Thunder God's Might on a healer, especially a healer with a dualcast LM2. Getting past the first few turns is usually the hardest part of these

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Flavahbeast posted:

one thing that I found really helpful is putting Thunder God's Might on a healer, especially a healer with a dualcast LM2. Getting past the first few turns is usually the hardest part of these

This is also really good for healers to get a quick turn-1 realm warrior out, especially in content where you can select Divine Veil Grimoire and get wall/proshellga/hastega up very very early.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

What are people's thoughts on OK pUSB vs Tyro USB3 for the Dream select? On the one hand, I have Quina's USB so I could technically use that plus RW wall for physical magicites, and mage teams tend to have more random characters with 4* WHM or Bard to slot proshellga etc. On the other hand, when I finally start getting some gen2 chains, that will start making the pUSB less attractive, and I do have some decent phys buff options already (Quina, Ramza).

Third option would be Palom USB but I feel like I should probably focus more on securing good buffs/slotsavers, and given OK mUSB and one BLM doubler already I've probably got enough of a decent caster core to be getting on with for now.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't really use my godwall very much, since you can either just RW it, or the fight has autowall (torment), or regular wall is the best locked RW option (magicite)

i imagine people with tyro's LMR like it better

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Prav posted:

i don't really use my godwall very much, since you can either just RW it, or the fight has autowall (torment), or regular wall is the best locked RW option (magicite)

i imagine people with tyro's LMR like it better

yeah, I have his LMR so it's 'gently caress you, defenses up' ~1.5 seconds into the fight. To be fair I also have OK's so neither has the advantage there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ayndin posted:

What are people's thoughts on OK pUSB vs Tyro USB3 for the Dream select? On the one hand, I have Quina's USB so I could technically use that plus RW wall for physical magicites, and mage teams tend to have more random characters with 4* WHM or Bard to slot proshellga etc. On the other hand, when I finally start getting some gen2 chains, that will start making the pUSB less attractive, and I do have some decent phys buff options already (Quina, Ramza).

Third option would be Palom USB but I feel like I should probably focus more on securing good buffs/slotsavers, and given OK mUSB and one BLM doubler already I've probably got enough of a decent caster core to be getting on with for now.
Onion pUSB is about as redundant with Quina USB as Quina USB is with godwall, and godwall has more synergy with gen2 chains as mentioned. I'd go with godwall, between those two choices

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Daily draw, Terra AOSB
Dudes daily draws are the best thing

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I use godwall in most magicites at this point and just run raider for buffs for now, I've beaten all 4* and can farm them all reliably (haven't tried to farm dark/holy a bunch yet just done them 2-3 times each) but haven't moved to 5*s yet.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
man I gotta stop doing 20 magicites in a day or two at the end of the month. Though I managed to finish off all of the 1st ones, now for Siren and Hades.
I went screw it and rolled for Elarra's USB, which is stupid good. Helped me get sub 30 on a few of the 4*'s.

Tiamat is a dick btw.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I got a new phone finally and man it's so much faster moving through menus

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I was waffling on whether i really wanted to pull on the ultra banner and decided what the hell, I'll indulge

...good call!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MF_James posted:

Yeah I use godwall in most magicites at this point and just run raider for buffs for now, I've beaten all 4* and can farm them all reliably (haven't tried to farm dark/holy a bunch yet just done them 2-3 times each) but haven't moved to 5*s yet.

Same, since getting Elarra USB Godwall now features in every single 4* magicite clear for me, and I do them all sub-30. Even my 5* clears are sub-30 or close to it. Tyro/Elarra dream team are only set to get better in fest, too.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I pulled Golbez’s dark chain usb out of daily draw this morning bringing my grand total of chains up to three — Locke’s fire, Golbez’s dark, and Garland’s dark.

Garland’s is only 99 hits and small damage increase whereas Golbez’s is 150 and large increase, so I assume his is much better. Is there any scenario you’d bring and use two chains in, or is Golbez’s a strict replacement for Garland? I haven’t tried any of the elemental battles yet so I’m not clear on how it works.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Aerox posted:

I pulled Golbez’s dark chain usb out of daily draw this morning bringing my grand total of chains up to three — Locke’s fire, Golbez’s dark, and Garland’s dark.

Garland’s is only 99 hits and small damage increase whereas Golbez’s is 150 and large increase, so I assume his is much better. Is there any scenario you’d bring and use two chains in, or is Golbez’s a strict replacement for Garland? I haven’t tried any of the elemental battles yet so I’m not clear on how it works.

Globes’ chain also has a 50% MAG buff, so it’s strictly better for magic teams, or mixed teams if you also have ATK buffs for your physical guys. Garland’s chain is all damage and doesn’t have any additional buffs outside the chain, but would probably still be better for pure physical teams due to better buff and damage type synergy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gen 1 chains have a +20% elemental damage increase by default; with the 22 hits Garlands chain does, you start each chain at +42% and can go as high as 120% elemental damage.

This is still less than gen2 chains, who have a default 50% elemental damage boost and can go as high as +200%. I think in most situations i would take Golbez chain even for physical teams; he has access to the physical darkness abilities too. In shorter fights maybe the damage on Garlands entry is more important?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The 22-hit entry chains can do good damage in their own right if you stack Ignis BSB and En-element on the user, and entrust them. This works for Kain and Garland, at least. I don't know who else. If you can cap all the hits you're doing twice as much as an OSB.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Gen 1 chains have a +20% elemental damage increase by default; with the 22 hits Garlands chain does, you start each chain at +42% and can go as high as 120% elemental damage.

This is still less than gen2 chains, who have a default 50% elemental damage boost and can go as high as +200%. I think in most situations i would take Golbez chain even for physical teams; he has access to the physical darkness abilities too. In shorter fights maybe the damage on Garlands entry is more important?

The 20% and 50% are additive with en element and +element gear. The chain part stacks multiplicatively with everything. But that doesn't matter since you still want the bigger buff, and I'm just bringing it up fyi. For siren, golbez could use magic just fine, but I'm guessing you'd want physical abilities for the 5* magicite that resists magic like you said.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I have no details but I come with news of free poo poo on the horizon

Dena started teasing Winter Fest on their facebook, basically

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Twitter too.

https://twitter.com/FFRK_Official/status/1069410894143139841

They specifically said "Holiday Giveaway #2" and I panicked thinking I somehow already missed #1, but I think they mean from last year.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

People have been suspecting that we're going to get RoP starting up around Friday, so makes sense that they're hyping this now.

Sadly this is probably going to be one of the least interesting fests in a while, especially if we get the standard slightly worse adjustments from the JP ones.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ayndin posted:

People have been suspecting that we're going to get RoP starting up around Friday, so makes sense that they're hyping this now.

Sadly this is probably going to be one of the least interesting fests in a while, especially if we get the standard slightly worse adjustments from the JP ones.

Are you talking about relic wise?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

To a degree, there's no new hot poo poo like there was on the God Banner a while back or the upcoming 4th Anniversary fest. But a lot of it is that they're changing the banner format for this festival and the next few events. Right now, a standard banner pool is five 6* relics and nine 5*s, with the 5*s usually being a mix of LMRs, glints, and reasonably good BSBs.

Starting with the festival, though, that changes to five 6* relics and seven 5*s. The missing 5* slots are being replaced with two wider pools of relics for the characters on the banner, each with a much smaller chance of pulling than the standard relics, one for 6* and one for 5*. There's some good stuff in these pools, like Godwall, Ellara's USB, or both OK USBs. But the pools go back a long ways, and you're just as likely to get some extremely outdated crap. For example, on Banner 3 it's entirely possible that you'll pull nothing but Cloud's BSB1, a piece of poo poo that's over two years old and just does NE damage on entry, with no buffs other than burst mode. Technically you're overall more likely to pull something good from these banners than with the old format, but the possibility of going Fenrir Overdrive/11 just loving sucks.

The new format was apparently very unpopular on the JP side and they discontinued it after a few events.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 3, 2018

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I was more talking about the quality of the relics on the banner excluding the blast-from-the-past slots, though that's also a factor. Technically they do give you a slightly better chance at a 6* item than the normal banner style, but it's more likely to be outdated/dupe stuff so it's a mixed bag.

Generally the 6*s take the format 2 ASBs/3 [USBs|CSB] here. There's 5* stuff too, of course, but generally you're looking for 6* stuff nowadays and if you get a decent LMR or something it's more of a happy accident than getting something you were targeting. There's exceptions - picking up a doublecast LMR or an enelement LMR or IC LMR or whatever for a character you use a lot is a very good get, and there's a few glints around that are legitimately excellent - and a few of them are on these banners, so maybe these will be more attractive to people for whom the low end is an appropriate lining up of their relic planets.

Banner 1 is holy-themed and has a couple of gen2 holy chains (Edward for mages and Ramza for physical), some new Tyro/Elarra USBs that seem not as useful as their other tech, and a BUSB for Pecil. I'm considering a roll here because I have no holy chain but it's pretty mediocre.

Banner 2 features earth mage stuff for Rydia and RedXIII (including his chain). They're not bad per se but nothing earth-shattering, and for me personally I have Maria USB and Rinoa's earth BUSB plus Ingus' chain so I'm probably okay for earth mage tech.

Banner 3 is a bit of a mixed bag element-wise, with OK ASB & USB3, Lightning BUSB, Cloud ASB, and Y'shtola's BUSB (which, unlike her USB, is actually very good). I'd say in a vacuum this is the best set of relics on the fest, mostly because OK is very strong and Y'shtola's medica+last stand brave command is very good.

Banner 4 is fire themed with Squall's fire USB, Vivi & Zell's ASBs, Gilgamesh chain, and Vincent BUSB. None of these are bad but they're not really 'holy poo poo I want this (past the chain, of course)' stuff IMO.

Banner 5 is ice and lightning: Lulu ASB/USB2, Prompto chain, Reno BUSB, and Rinoa ice BUSB. I dislike Lulu because she keeps getting stupid weapons only she and Tyro can equip (unless they finally wised up and made her poo poo thrown), but the rest seems okay. Again, though, nothing too crazy.

Overall I think there's just a lack of ability double relics and bonkers healing/speed tools like Elarra USB1/Aerith USB2 that make people sit up and take notice. That plus the wildcard slots, and the fact that the next fest will release AUSBs which are all the toppest tier of damage, and you end up with a lot to not be excited about.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 3, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ayndin posted:

but nothing earth-shattering

boo! hiss

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What initially hurt this fest was that the focus on brave usbs - with their recent buff some of them should probably be reassessed.

2 chain banner is hard to be mad at, even Tyro usb4 is pretty good - straight upgrade/replacement for OK pUsb if you have a 2nd gen chain. Banner 2 should be a consideration if you still can't do Quez/KBehe. I'm pulling on 3 because waifu and I actually want all of the LMR's there. B4 is good fire tech, notably it also has Squall bsb3 which is just bsb2 but fire. 5 one is weird but when it comes to water magic we can't exactly be picky.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It's good that this fest is kinda crap cuz I have very little mythril after pulling on all the realm banners

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
ah crap this fest is here already?

gotta do the realms I havent done and go all in banner 2.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, I have to say this fest is really disappointing. I'm skipping the entire thing to save for 4A. Already mentioned offbanner issues aside;

B1: I have a Holy Chain, and I'm good for holy damage. Holy also isn't relevant til after next fest. Tyro/Elarra are nice, but also on 4A Core banner.

B2: Have Galuf Chain, Maria USB, Rinoa Earth Brave. Already cleared both lightning 5*s. Easy skip.

B3: OK stuff is pretty good, Ysh brave is pretty good. I'm already through the water 5*s I need thunder for though, and the OK stuff returns on 4A B2, potentially.

B4: Fire is something I'm sure almost everyone has in abundance, and I already have the chain on this banner.

B5: I'm through anything I could need Reno for, have Garnet chain, and I have Ysayle USB and Rinoa bUSB for ice. Lulu isn't a good enough water mage to fix my problems there.

It's all quite disappointing, and saving for 3 more months is going to be a killer. I'm not surprised the JP game wavered during this period.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Who knows, maybe the global banners will be a bit better

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Tidus chain on the daily. Too bad I already have Rikku's chain.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

Who knows, maybe the global banners will be a bit better

Sadly, this is one of those points where future sight absolutely does shoot global in the foot.

Anyone who doesn't look forward is going to be unimpressed with these banners compared to last fest unless they touch up a lot of things, and anyone who looks forward will be unhappy with literally anything we get because it's not 4th Anniversary and the absurdity that is Awakening USBs.

Literally, there is no way they can improve banners enough to lure in someone who has been paying attention to JP's meta, as both this thread and the subreddit show.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

People were down on this fest even before 4th aniv news. Dropping the offrealm bucket and putting one more 6* on each banner would help, they do have some notable holes like no Vivi usb on his aosb banner or that Gilgamesh chain when everything else suggests it should be Vincents.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm probably still going to pull on banner 1 because 2chainz

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I'm probably still going to pull on banner 1 because 2chainz

Counterpoint: banner 5 of 4th anniversary has 6 chains.

I'm mostly making a joke - I may well throw a pull at banner 1 because I don't have a holy chain - but it's kinda 'ha ha only serious'? The caliber of the next fest is just so much higher that unless I really need something right now it just pays to wait.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I already have vincent and prompto chains though

EDIT: holy is also one of 2 elements I don't yet have a chain for, the other being dark

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I pulled Rikku's Chain water ability. Are chains that great? I have tidus' day to remember soul break but don't really see anything else in my list that is water.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Chains are the best relic type in global. For example, Rikku's gives +50% attack, then it starts with +50% water damage, and only keeps building up more from there with every water attack. These are the single best damage buffs you can get, and their benefits are party wide.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Chains are loving awesome

Rikku being a Gen 2 chain especially; you get a 50% attack buff (no haste though, and it doesn't stack with other Shout buffs), "water field" which boosts your water damage another 50%, and the actual chain gimmick, which raises the water % increase every time you make a water hit. 4 hit spellblade? 4 ticks on the counter. Got a wcast ninja like Edge or Yuffie? Up to 14 hits, not including chases from their usbs if applicable.

The only downside is that they don't bring haste, so you'll have to work that into your party somehow, either with an SB or with the hastega ability.

Gen2 chains are all pretty much the same, Gen1 chains are all very different because instead of an attack or mag buff they get a variety of buffs. Like Snow's gives you an HP stock, Shantotto gives you quickcast, and Kain's opens with 22 hits instead of what was the standard 11.

Gen2 are better though, even without entry damage, because their element boost starts bigger and can chain higher

Edit: fixed a typo, phoneposting so probably more I missed

Arcon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 4, 2018

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

AlexJade posted:

I pulled Rikku's Chain water ability. Are chains that great? I have tidus' day to remember soul break but don't really see anything else in my list that is water.

That's a gen 2 chain, and yes, they are that great. They usually give a 50% ATK or MAG buff to the party, and then start a chain that gives you a base 50% bonus to damage of that element type, and as hits accumulate on that chain, up to 150% more damage. I forget the exact mechanics of this, maybe the initial 50% stacks additively with your gear elemental boosts but the rest is a multiplier or something, but the long and the short of it is crazy rear end elemental damage. The Tidus soul break you mention goes really nicely with it, as he'll follow up water attacks with an attack that does like 8 small hits, which will really get that chain going. Oh, and the relic that gave it is an all-realm Water damage boost, so just weld that to Tidus basically. Pretty much any ninja with the blink ability/more hits on blinks ability water combo would round out that team, no soul break for them needed.

Assuming a reasonable healer and an entruster or Tyro with Godwall you will completely dunk on Living Flame, possibly even Marilis if your healer is real good.

So yeah. congratulations!

e:f,b

Nihilarian posted:

I already have vincent and prompto chains though

EDIT: holy is also one of 2 elements I don't yet have a chain for, the other being dark

Yeah that kind of craps all over that banner then. I'm not sure why they made realm chains relics outside of padding the chain pool. It seems like the only content they're good for they already give you realm chains as RW, and Steiner and Irvine are kind of hot garbage characters on top of that so you don't really want to bring them anyway.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Ayndin posted:

I'm not sure why they made realm chains relics outside of padding the chain pool. It seems like the only content they're good for they already give you realm chains as RW, and Steiner and Irvine are kind of hot garbage characters on top of that so you don't really want to bring them anyway.

When they launch the realm chains they offer you a second torment RW that gives you a full heal, so you could take the realm chain relic and drop a healer if you're struggling to heal but not DPS