Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Petiso posted:

T&T Spoilers
Phoenix only really met Dahlia once before the 4-1 trial, when she hurriedly gave him the necklace to get rid of the evidence, every other time it was Iris.

During 4-1 we're meant to think Phoenix was a lovestruck idiot in denial that couldn't accept his girlfriend was a psycho murderer. The twist was that he was absolutely right, that wasn't the girl he'd been dating for months, because even if she had ulterior motives, Iris was genuinely nice and their relationship was more sincere than it was supposed to be. So yeah, he could very well tell them apart.

If that's 4-1 then Apollo must have been very confused about this card game murder he's defending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Whoops, in my defense they released Trials & Tribulations after Apollo Justice in Europe :argh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can see Phoenix and Iris reuniting only to pretty quickly figure out they've become very different people and can't really pick up where they left off from a teenage fling. Plus, Iris needs lots of therapy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean very likely she just didn't get together with him because it would be impossible to not spoil people and each game takes pains to avoid spoilers for past cases. Although I suppose 2-1 is technically spoilered by 3's finale.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tesseraction posted:

I mean very likely she just didn't get together with him because it would be impossible to not spoil people and each game takes pains to avoid spoilers for past cases. Although I suppose 2-1 is technically spoilered by 3's finale.

You mean 2-2, right? 2-1 was the intro case with Maggey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You mean 2-2, right? 2-1 was the intro case with Maggey.

That's the one where they bring back Adrian Andrews, right?

Pretty rare to have major case figures come back unless for gag purposes, so funny that they probably brought her back because players felt so loving bad about the poo poo you have to put her through in court literally just to buy time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's the one where they bring back Adrian Andrews, right?

Pretty rare to have major case figures come back unless for gag purposes, so funny that they probably brought her back because players felt so loving bad about the poo poo you have to put her through in court literally just to buy time.
2-2 is the doctor getting murdered in Kurain, 2-4 introduces Andrews. Then it's 3-3 (the case with Demasque) that brings her back, and 3-5 is more to do with Kurain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hemlock Shears....

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

2-2 is the doctor getting murdered in Kurain, 2-4 introduces Andrews. Then it's 3-3 (the case with Demasque) that brings her back, and 3-5 is more to do with Kurain.

3-2 is DeMasque. 3-3 is the cafe case with Maggey.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Right. Trials and Tribulations is the game in the Phoenix trilogy I know the least, because I've only beaten it once, as opposed to twice for Justice for All and 3 times for the original. Honestly I'm surprised I remembered all the cases in that game off the top of my head.

In other news, I beat AAI2 today. Honestly, I don't think it lived up to the hype folks in the thread were giving it before I started playing. I frankly almost quit in the middle largely because Judge Courtney was such an obnoxious character for a couple of cases. Debeste was, naturally, The Best, but he was chained to someone who couldn't shut the gently caress up about the "Goddess of Law" for ten seconds. There was a point in case 4 where I actually literally breathed a sigh of relief when an unattributed line of dialog for a character entering the scene turned out to be Franziska instead of her (and talk about characters with an obnoxious gimmick). The last case was great, and did turn her character around a bit, but not enough to right the ship.

I think I liked AAI1 better, despite the fact that the last case dragged on at least two segments too long. Lang was a much more satisfying rival character, and his character development over the course of the game felt more earned, TBH. (Did Courtney even have any character development or was it all added context?)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Debeste is the rival

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I kinda wrote him off as comic relief until the last case, I spent more time actually seriously debating Courtney, so I really consider her the rival because she could come up with a hypothesis that wasn't just Obviously Wrong each time. Like, Debeste almost came off as a Payne type character, and loving nobody is gonna tell me that anyone considers Payne a rival.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought Debeste's deal was pretty obvious after the second time you tear his bullshit down with facts and logic, and he just excitedly goes "that makes a lot of sense! No one has ever challenged or bothered to explain things to me before," but that only made me resent Courtney's presence even more, and also really soured me on her case 5 stuff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

Right. Trials and Tribulations is the game in the Phoenix trilogy I know the least, because I've only beaten it once, as opposed to twice for Justice for All and 3 times for the original. Honestly I'm surprised I remembered all the cases in that game off the top of my head.

I think it's partly because despite having 5 cases (1 more than each of the other cases in the trilogy not including DLC), there's really only one 'filler' case and that's 3-3. 3-1 and 3-4 both set up Phoenix's backstory, and 3-2 set ups Kurain even if the actual case and culprit could be argued as filler.

The only things that 3-3 does is bring back Maggey and give more Mia time, which she doesn't really do in most non-Kurain cases.

...But if in doubt, just remember that the second case in the trilogy games is always Maya/Kurain-centric. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1749854811762159970?t=V6_ItebzvqUhKvulyswIPQ&s=19

Lmao excuse me?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

she should've kept the shades.

the apollo justice collection looks good overall, with the 1 caveat being that the actual apollo justice does a lot of video/background cropping to be 16:9

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Looks like that Beta Athena fell off the Aura Blackquill train

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:kamina:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Why can't it be Thursday night already? Gimmie the new trilogy!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also: :laffo: goatee’d Edgeworth

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1744781247509836237?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I favor the Edgeworth who leads Neo-Zeon.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
One of those is just Van Zieks

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://opencritic.com/game/16103/apollo-justice-ace-attorney-trilogy

Heck yeah, I'm ready to spend $50 on the Apollo justice collection! It's pricey but it's the best collection so far (the quality of individual games/cases is up for debate) but they've definitely did the best they could.

Now where's AA7 and/or AA investigations collection?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Im excited to revisit these latter day Ace Attorneys of varying quality. Beats playing the original trilogy yet again!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

man nurse posted:

Im excited to revisit these latter day Ace Attorneys of varying quality. Beats playing the original trilogy yet again!

I know, I've probably played the original trilogy a minimum of 3 times at least (DS, 3DS, PS4)

I have not replayed any of the 3ds ones and I'm not even sure I played Apollo justice more than once.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I’ve only played AA4 once and I think 4-3 was enough that I’m not thrilled to go back. Looking forward to the other two games though.

Also I feel like it’s prudent to say spoiler tag appropriate for the next few weeks or so in this thread since a fair number of people will be experiencing cases for the first time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So Apollo justice is out today. Anyone playing it yet? I'll be starting it soon.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Ineffiable posted:

So Apollo justice is out today. Anyone playing it yet? I'll be starting it soon.

Booting it up as soon as I get home! Can't wait.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Presumably, it is quite based.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Okay is it just me or does Apollo have the longest first trial/prologue in the entire series? That took a while to get through.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll probably pick it up eventually to see if I hate Dual Destinies as much as I did when I first played it. Never did get to Spirit

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ineffiable posted:

Okay is it just me or does Apollo have the longest first trial/prologue in the entire series? That took a while to get through.

That's still my favorite tutorial case in the series, it's so good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

It was a bit of a reboot of the series as well as the first game on the Nintendo DS, so I think that between having to handle established lore, new lore, and new mechanics they wanted to make sure it covered things fully before sending you off into the brave new world.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Now in HD:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

It was a bit of a reboot of the series as well as the first game on the Nintendo DS, so I think that between having to handle established lore, new lore, and new mechanics they wanted to make sure it covered things fully before sending you off into the brave new world.

Yeah and it's also one of the most story intense first cases, most of the other ones in the series just tends to be a gimme with a friend that's your client or a more straightforward case.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Just wait until you hit Spirit of Justice’s.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm fairly certain Great Ace Attorney 1 has the longest first case in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd already played AA4 so I skipped to AA5. Athena's neat, though not sure how I feel about this new mechanic yet.

One thing I do feel is that the save/load is less snappy than it was in the original trilogy. But it can't be helped I guess.