Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

InsertPotPun posted:

if they did nothing but make dlc for this game i would buy it all but google and youtubes tell me it failed?

Yeah. Large chunks its potential audience, being Marvel fans and XCOM fans, didn't want to give it a try for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I just wish they'd have done a roguelike mode dlc or patch before moving on...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Burning Rain posted:

I just wish they'd have done a roguelike mode dlc or patch before moving on...

I could see something like this if they got to do a second DLC season, but that was never in the cards. The first round was stuff already in the pipeline before launch, and it was clear shortly after release that the game was gonna flop.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
love it. almost to the end. the friendship thing is tedious because the answer is always obvious and there's no rewards for making enemies. there's no variety. i should be able to get different rewards for losing friends. like the light and dark system.
i avoided this game at first because i'm bad at deck building. but it's easy to use and the difficulty isn't xcom levels, thank god. i was expecting to constantly be one mission away from losing at all times. it's actually flexible and the added environmental things were fun too.
i still hate pulling a bad hand. it's rare you'll get a useless hand but you can, and will, pull bullshit hands. that's another reason, the randomness of card based games always falls against me. i have NO luck.
they did tease daredevil, i'm mad that's not happening. it seems a good "hype" property for marvel? you know they release a new dlc right around the time they release a new show about lesser known character? because i can see this being a constantly updated game like they tried to do with the "avengers" game.
you know what i would like? walls. i want to be able to batter someone through a wall. i will throw someone into an aquarium. i want to punch a gorilla through a window so he gets hit by a car.

anyway: A++ would reccomend

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Magik is not ace in the comics. She's bi or possibly pan.

I didn't get her read as ace in the game either but I can see that looking back. But just about every character besides Blade and Nico seem to be devoid of romantic or sexual interest. Even Carol seems to not pick up on Blade's interest.

She's most likely Pan, due to, I think it was an x of swords issue of New Mutants where she's literally walking up to people going "Do you want to make out?" and them all turning her down for reasons, except for one whos just to busy. There was also her and Leah in that secret wars wall series where they ran off together to be together, but that doesn't really count.

One thing the game does do, is have her be a level of autistic. That way that's hard to pick up, but her reaction to the party reminded me of how a coworker explained why she wouldn't' come to the xmas party. Just overwhelming in so many ways. Though she would just curl up on a corner rather than destroying everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
She literally pounces on Kate Pryde when Kate is resurrected, and people were reading into their relationship decades before the Krakoa era

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The deck really isn’t a deck builder in the intimidating way that something like Slay the Spire is where to properly execute you have to keep your deck size low and think about what cards are where. It’s more like an ability selector then the game randomizes when you can do them. You aren’t punished for building your deck too big because you can’t and it’s much more about which heroes you bring. I’d say it’s a lot closer to an action economy game similar to xcom rather than slay the spire.

I know it’s a mashup between those two (and I love it) I just think people bounce off the idea of a deck builder when really that’s not what the game is about.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I said this on fb, but I've met a surprising number of people who honestly thought midnight suns was like Hearthstone or Gwent.

They just heard card and thought it was a gatcha or something.

And my headcannon is Illyana and Kate are totally gaybones for each other. Also Kate and Rachael. Xmen is just a giant polycule off panel.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Tom Tucker posted:

The deck really isn’t a deck builder in the intimidating way that something like Slay the Spire is where to properly execute you have to keep your deck size low and think about what cards are where. It’s more like an ability selector then the game randomizes when you can do them. You aren’t punished for building your deck too big because you can’t and it’s much more about which heroes you bring. I’d say it’s a lot closer to an action economy game similar to xcom rather than slay the spire.

I know it’s a mashup between those two (and I love it) I just think people bounce off the idea of a deck builder when really that’s not what the game is about.

That randomness with the abilities was the dealbreaker for me. Although, since the heroes can't miss, the RNG needs to be elsewhere.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember finding a deck building guide for the heroes and it clicked how they were supposed to work and some heroes (Ghost Rider) really shot up in effectiveness for me. Sadly Captain Marvel still kind of drops off by mid-game.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sandepande posted:

That randomness with the abilities was the dealbreaker for me. Although, since the heroes can't miss, the RNG needs to be elsewhere.

The randomness inherent to your hand is ok (especially since it opens up Redraw as a mechanic) ; but the random affixes to cards outside of battle is awful. The only thing I really disliked about the game - grinding resources so I can upgrade upgraded cards in the hope of rolling a good modif oh gently caress you +1 Heroism generation AGAIN ?!

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Searching for RNG in all the wrong places. I want my missed 95% chance shots back.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A new "what if XCOM but supers" game is coming out tomorrow:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2081080/Capes/

It got an 80% from PC Gamer:

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/strategy/capes-review/

Hope it does better that MS.

Kobal2 posted:

The randomness inherent to your hand is ok (especially since it opens up Redraw as a mechanic) ; but the random affixes to cards outside of battle is awful. The only thing I really disliked about the game - grinding resources so I can upgrade upgraded cards in the hope of rolling a good modif oh gently caress you +1 Heroism generation AGAIN ?!

Yeah, that was hosed.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 27, 2024

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah I played the Capes demo in one of the steamfests and thought it was great.

Really looking forward to it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah I played the Capes demo in one of the steamfests and thought it was great.

Really looking forward to it.

I know ChristopherOdd who's a big XCOM streamer seemed to enjoy it. And one of the first comments on his first episode on it said it looked cool but worried about the Cultural Marxism because the only two heroes he got to use in the first mission were respectively black and a lady. :allears:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

I know ChristopherOdd who's a big XCOM streamer seemed to enjoy it. And one of the first comments on his first episode on it said it looked cool but worried about the Cultural Marxism because the only two heroes he got to use in the first mission were respectively black and a lady. :allears:

Me walking out of a maternity ward: gently caress, whole lotta cultural marxism in these hospitals, ay!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Only 9 of the 16 heroes are white men?

Help, help, I'm being repressed!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

hello thread

I'm loving LOVING this game, what a surprise. X-com + Superheroes + TCG? the nerd trifecta

please don't spoil if it sucks after hour 50 or whatever, I'm 5 hours in and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I got it as a gift, otherwise it wouldn't be in my radar until it was free on GamePass or something.

couple questions:

- I have the regular edition, but are the DLCs/Season Pass worth the extra $$$? or is the base game enough content? I'm kinda interested in Storm, but the rest of the guys I could do without. (Morbius? cmon). The Legendary Edition is currently on sale but it's a full purchase, I don't get credit for owning the base edition, so it would be like buying the whole thing again...

- I've been getting choices for Dark/Light, what are these affecting? Seems like Light is just "Do-gooder" responses, and Dark is "antihero seriousness", and maybe these will unlock powers? Will Dark turn me evil or change the story in any meaningful way?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I keep meaning to buy this game. how does Midnight Suns stack up to the Ultimate Alliance series?

what I like about MUA is collecting the dudes, making cool teams of dudes, unlocking outfits for the dudes, leveling up the dudes

what I like most tho is super hero video games where you make your own OC looking dude from costume elements and weird powers, a la City of Heroes. I think there is a blank slate main character you build up on, but how much customization does it have?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's as cool as the first two ultimate alliance games, the third was was garbage.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

couple questions:

- I have the regular edition, but are the DLCs/Season Pass worth the extra $$$? or is the base game enough content? I'm kinda interested in Storm, but the rest of the guys I could do without. (Morbius? cmon). The Legendary Edition is currently on sale but it's a full purchase, I don't get credit for owning the base edition, so it would be like buying the whole thing again...

- I've been getting choices for Dark/Light, what are these affecting? Seems like Light is just "Do-gooder" responses, and Dark is "antihero seriousness", and maybe these will unlock powers? Will Dark turn me evil or change the story in any meaningful way?

The DLCs as a whole add a whole other series of main quests while adding 4 characters to the roster (Deadpool, Venom, Morbius, Storm). The added characters are pretty good mechanically, with the exception of Deadpool IMHO. They all bring in more upgrade options to the Abbey which are all pretty good. I played through the DLC on a second playthrough of the whole game and thought it was well done - but I wasn't wanting for content from the base game when I played it at launch, the game is long and has a lot of depth.

Dark/Light will unlock different Cards for the Hunter. Dark cards typically do a lot of damage but can add drawbacks to the Hunter, Light cards are typically focused around buffing the team and heals. There are also more neutral "Power" cards for balanced Hunters that are focused around Knockback and battlefield control. My favorite Hunter build was focused on a "power" build, not light or dark. Being Light / Dark can also have benefits in your friendship growth with the other Heroes, some like Light side responses, while some appreciate dark responses. Storywise, I wouldn't really worry about it, there are different lines depending on whether you're Light or Dark, but the story is largely the story.

wizard2 posted:

I keep meaning to buy this game. how does Midnight Suns stack up to the Ultimate Alliance series?

what I like about MUA is collecting the dudes, making cool teams of dudes, unlocking outfits for the dudes, leveling up the dudes

what I like most tho is super hero video games where you make your own OC looking dude from costume elements and weird powers, a la City of Heroes. I think there is a blank slate main character you build up on, but how much customization does it have?

Lots of outfits and color palletes for all the heroes. Both for battle and casual outfits for hanging out in the Abbey between missions. In terms of making your own OC, that's not really in Midnight Suns. The character you play, The Hunter, is truly a character - not a silent protagonist. They have a personality, a history, and a story. The Hunter was born in 1694 and was a legendary hero in the 1700s that has been brought to the modern era. They have a defined power set utilizing the magic in their bloodline, their magical training from being raised by two witches, and they dual-wield swords. You can customize their appearance, and develop a more granular build by choosing what cards you bring into battle. You can change the Hunter's outfit - whether that outfit and their swords are medieval themed, tech-themed, or something more exotic - but fundamentally, they're a hero that uses two-swords.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Manually save in a new slot at the start of every day. There's still a bug or two around.

Here's a good post with a list of mods you might want to consider:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978943&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post536951128

Start off without them at the start and start installing them once you understand why someone would want to install one. I installed them one by one during the course of my game until I ended up with almost of the ones in that post. The resource economy in this game is kinda messed up. (They keep claiming they've never-ever-ever planned on MTXing them and I still don't believe them.)

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

wizard2 posted:

You can’t change the protagonist’s origin story or power set, but you can give them an incredible 1980s bouffant hairstyle.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Inferior posted:

You can’t change the protagonist’s backstory or power set, but you can give them an incredible 1980s bouffant hairstyle.

sick! thank you :D

Azubah posted:

It's as cool as the first two ultimate alliance games, the third was was garbage.

I disagree on 3 and I actually had a lot of fun with it... but I respect your opinion on Midnight Suns MORE because you DID hate 3, if that makes sense. sold! :hellyeah:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inferior posted:

You can’t change the protagonist’s origin story or power set, but you can give them an incredible 1980s bouffant hairstyle.

Although you can focus on one side of their powers and neither side I feel like is demonstrably worse than the other, save maybe if you get into the min-maxing weeds which you don't need to worry about except on the highest level.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
The game is easy enough that you can gently caress around with pretty much any heroes and still have a good time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Megazver posted:

Manually save in a new slot at the start of every day. There's still a bug or two around.

Here's a good post with a list of mods you might want to consider:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978943&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post536951128

Start off without them at the start and start installing them once you understand why someone would want to install one. I installed them one by one during the course of my game until I ended up with almost of the ones in that post. The resource economy in this game is kinda messed up. (They keep claiming they've never-ever-ever planned on MTXing them and I still don't believe them.)
Thanks for linking back to that, because it meant I got to rewatch this gem.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

Thanks for linking back to that, because it meant I got to rewatch this gem.

It works for both Midnight Suns AND Guardians of the Galaxy.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The guardians game was pretty drat good too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Guardians was so well written it's kind of crazy

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I didn't understand the gameplay elements of the guardians game. I only played it an hour or two but it seemed shallow enough that you might as well watch someone else play the game instead. What was I missing?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

KPC_Mammon posted:

I didn't understand the gameplay elements of the guardians game. I only played it an hour or two but it seemed shallow enough that you might as well watch someone else play the game instead. What was I missing?

Starlord himself is a bit lame especially in the very beginning. But you get abilities to command your team to do stuff. Those attacks inflict stuff like debuffs which have synergies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, it's fun calling in the rest of the team for the different attacks and the Huddle Up mechanic is a delight. The first time I got Never Gonna Give You Up I about fell out of my chair.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Star lord is there to be a lens to see the rest of the characters and then be the emotional heart for the finale so it feels a bit like you were bringing that family together. Game was amazing.

The mic drop going into the final mission was amazing.

Has anyone here played capes? May just do a second Midnight Suns run or a 15th xcom2 run feeling that squad strategy itch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tom Tucker posted:

Has anyone here played capes? May just do a second Midnight Suns run or a 15th xcom2 run feeling that squad strategy itch.

I've only got three of the characters thus far but I'm really enjoying it. Enough so that when I quit I think "Man, I wish I was playing Capes."

Some people don't like how the in-game models look when they're used for cutscenes or the voice acting, but I think that's just being overly critical about a studio with their level of resources. It doesn't detract and the acting's honestly not bad for my money. (If they'd gone with all comic art for the cutscenes instead of just some of them, that would have been preferable.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just another vote for Guardians of the Galaxy being a superb experience.

It’s an ok “game” at best, and I ran into a few bugs in the endgame levels, but the dialogue and the characters are so much fun, it was better than any marvel movie since… well, since <whatever you think the last good Marvel movie was >