Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lmao imagine not forcing astarion to get me that sweet rear end potion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Thundarr posted:

Yeah that sounds like what you hear if you force him. It was just dropped entirely as a conversation point if you had him up, which was a bit disappointing since I've seen those dialog options before and they're really good character notes.

There’s a followup conversation in camp if he declines just like how there’s one if you force him to go through with it. It might not pop up right away, I’m not sure if you need to long rest first or what.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

woodenchicken posted:

What do I need to throw dudes as a barbarian? Is it available right away or at a certain level to only a berserker (frenzied throw)? Guides are so drat vague. Is 20 STR enough for most human sized enemies?

It also helps if you can be enlarged, either by spell or potion

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Generally 18 strength is enough to throw goblins and 20 is enough for most humans. You'll need more to throw dudes wearing heavy armor.

E:

Yeah that sounds like what you hear if you force him. It was just dropped entirely as a conversation point if you back him up, which was a bit disappointing since I've seen those dialog options before and they're really good character notes.

no i didn't force him, and the entire convo was very clear about it, even says he may very well have turned down some powerful new strength

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Yeah, Astarion definitely gets a convo if he's not forced to bite the drow lady.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Remember for Throwbarbs as well: high ground is your BFF, you are basically a caster. Not only does it give you the initial +chance to hit, it also adds more and more Bludgeoning damage the bigger the vertical height difference between you and the target (even if the thrown item does, say, Piercing damage).

You can also do slightly riskier plays if you have to frontline, such as using Reckless Attack first on a melee target to cancel out Disadvantage on throwing stuff at targets in melee range of you. Throwbarbs may not have access to huge CC or AoE, but they’re very workable in about every situation. Also Enraged Throw alone is worth its weight in gold for saving allied spellcasters stuck in melee with an enemy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There should be a conversation option that you've read ahead in the script and you'll let Astarion go SSJ if he just does the needful on the drow.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

Gale is superficially a "nice" guy in the sense he approves of you helping out the poor and downtrodden and resolving things nonviolently. However, Gale himself is selfish and power-hungry as gently caress and you have to actively push back against that tendency. If you do what he wants and asks of you it's all horribly dumb, dangerous poo poo for the sake of his own ambition.

Contrast Lae'zel who is a fresh out of boot camp grunt. She's OO RAH VLAAKITH!! and very naiive about the real world and Material plane. Superficially she's cruel and arrogant, but that softens over the course of the game.

With both LZ and Shadowheart, you kind of just show them the truth of things and they make the good-guy choices mostly on their own. With Gale you have to actively push back against what he wants or else he does stupid poo poo.

LZ, Astarion, and Shadowheart all come across as terrible people early in the game, but if you get to know them you find it's more that they've been abused or indoctrinated in various ways and underneath they can be decent people. Gale at his core is just raw ambition and pride.

I do love that subtle characterization of Laziel. Act I she's mostly like "Why are we wasting time helping people". By end of Act 2 she's all "gently caress yeah, we saved the day"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Started my first Honour run over the weekend and it's going...okay.

Magda, the Dragonborn Cleric of Lathander (Light Domain) had a brief initial foray that I ended prematurely when I accidentally tripped the fireball trap in the overgrown ruins - 3 party members died and couldn't be reached to revive due to the fireballs, and I didn't have Withers yet (or the money to pay him if I did), so I figured it'd be faster to start over than try to salvage that mess. I was right.

Second run went smoothly until I faced the goblin ambush in the Blighted Village. I only managed to drop one early, and after a lethal combo of goblins rolling hot and my party rolling hot garbage, Shadowheart limped back to camp alone with the steaming corpses of Magda and co. left behind in the village. I had Withers this time, but there was a problem - all my gold was on Magda, so I had to sneak back to the village and stealthily extract everyone without being noticed by goblins. This took longer than it should have but I came back with a vengeance and rolled them. This is the first time I've ever had trouble with that encounter, including on my tactician playthroughs.

Next hairy spot was in the basement of the alchemist's workshop, where I destroyed the evil book but completely spaced on there being three lv.5 shadows that pop out of it when you do - my party was lv.3 and was not ready for this kind of action yet. Laezel took one for the team and distracted them long enough for my party to make their escape. The shadows are presumably still down there. I'll have to be sure to take them out before moving on.

Everything else has mostly gone smooth. I'm a bit leery of doing anything in the swamp, and don't want to touch the fake Paladins until at least lv.5. Same with the big Gnoll fight and the spider matriarch. I might push into the goblin camp and see how that goes. I've learned to play it safe around large groups of goblins going forward.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sloober posted:

no i didn't force him, and the entire convo was very clear about it, even says he may very well have turned down some powerful new strength

I guess I'll just keep spamming long rests then and see what happens!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I find the Underdark is a great place to get over the Level 4 --> 5 hump. I always tend to go there via the spider cave almost as soon as I hit Level 4 on all my characters. Great loot and EXP!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

exquisite tea posted:

I find the Underdark is a great place to get over the Level 4 --> 5 hump. I always tend to go there via the spider cave almost as soon as I hit Level 4 on all my characters. Great loot and EXP!

I’m just gonna quote a text I sent a friend without editing it

Start game, do required battles on nautiloid, sneak past the devourers in the nautiloid wreck, do the goblin battle to enter the grove, talk to everyone in grove, go to blighted village and talk your way out of the battle there, talk the goblins into leaving barcus alone, should be level 3 at this point, go do crypt to release withers, save people from fire at waukeen’s rest, then talk your way into the goblin camp, go into the underdark through priestess gut’s entrance, take path that skips the Minotaurs to myconid camp and run from the bulette if needed, go into the camp and talk to the hobgoblin to start the tower quest and then get the boots from the gnome. Go tell duergar you’ll return the boots, take boat to grymforge and do the statue inspection discussion, tell brithvar you’ll help, explore grymforge a bit including misty stepping up to the forge waypoint, go back to beach and there’s a side path that takes you up to the mage tower, disable the turrets and go through that whole puzzle and you should be level 5

If this doesn’t get you to 5 you can go do a couple battles and it should get you over the hump

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you're a githyanki it's even easier because you can get almost a full level going right to the patrol and saying "yeah um sure the artifact I'll let you know when I find it."

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Problem

You're one sorry piece of poo poo. A cop penitent, a flagellant cop-monk. This is not the right line of work for you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm on my third play through and I'm still finding poo poo even though I thought I was thorough last time. Apparently I missed like 40% of the underdark map

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do people not methodically go over every inch of walkable surface on every map before moving on? :raise:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
re: early game sneaking past devourers right after the nautiloid

you can actually just turn to your right as you face the devourers and climb up the cliff to get to where you find Gale, skipping the devourers entirely. there's a cliff bit between the devourers and the locked door to the crypt where you can find Shadowheart.

it took me like three playthroughs to notice it lol. I guess I've never had trouble with that particular fight but I know it messes up some people

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If you're a githyanki it's even easier because you can get almost a full level going right to the patrol and saying "yeah um sure the artifact I'll let you know when I find it."

Oh yeah I forgot about this since I always play as a gith and forget it’s not the default lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The party is over and I went back to the gobbo camp and Minthara is alive and naked and non hostile.

1. Did I do it right?
2. If I give her some panties will she put them on?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bird with big dick posted:

The party is over and I went back to the gobbo camp and Minthara is alive and naked and non hostile.

1. Did I do it right?
2. If I give her some panties will she put them on?

Yeah, you won't see her again until act 2. If you hadn't looted all her clothes she would still have them. I don't think she will put them back on, on account of her being knocked the gently caress out.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Jose posted:

I'm at the second ketheric fight and its so ruthless compared to every other fight in the game. He heals for a ton when it happens, has an aoe that will wipe out a ton of people on low hp and you can't heal if you're on the same platform as him. Not to mention he's invulnerable at the start of the fight too so you have to waste turns on that. If he didn't heal for 40 each time I'd have managed to get a kill instead he did that aoe that knocked out 2 people, knocked someone off the platform into oblivion and knocked out nightsong

You can put a wall of fire across that hole, which helps a lot

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anything come from letting Astarian or Gale read the Necronomicon? Like does it help Astarian in his quest?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, you won't see her again until act 2. If you hadn't looted all her clothes she would still have them. I don't think she will put them back on, on account of her being knocked the gently caress out.

Shes not knocked out, she's standing there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the order of events to get Minthara on a good run has to be 1) knock her out while temporarily hostile, 2) kill Dror Ragzlin to complete the quest, and 3) have the party with the tieflings on the same day. If you rest in between finishing the Defeat the Goblins quest then you have to keep knocking her out every new day.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The whole thing seems weird, just get the paladin hireling

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Shard posted:

Does anything come from letting Astarian or Gale read the Necronomicon? Like does it help Astarian in his quest?

Astarion gains the knowledge he would have gotten from Raphael in act 2 or his siblings in act 3 (though that’s a bit incomplete). He also gets the powers your character would from reading the book, so if you’d rather have Speak With the Dead and such on a companion, that works.

I’ve never given it to Gale.

The Lord Bude posted:

The whole gloomstalker/assassin thing has a definite niche - it’s not the highest damage archer build by a long shot, but it has a unique mix of stealth and surprising the enemy and frontloaded damage that makes it popular with folks doing solo runs; but it really requires you to commit to the gimmick at the expense of other roleplaying oportunities; and the build really doesn’t come together until late game.

A bard is strong from the get go and scales smoothly.

Gloomstalker/Assassin’s “niche” is deleting multiple enemies before they get a chance to go because they’re always the top of the initiative order. That feels less like a “niche” to me and more like a basic utility and tactic.

In my multiple attempts to get a bard to do nearly the damage I see from even a Gloomstalker, I’ve never seen it.

I’m sure I’m missing some key component or something, but I beat the game as a Bard and have had Astarion as a bard for at least 2 play throughs and … I don’t like bards very much.

I’m not saying anyone else should change how they’re playing to suit what has worked for me, but if you also find bards underwhelming then I see you and you’re valid and just play as something else. You’re definitely not gimped for not having a bard around.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I think Larian should’ve doubled down on minthara being evil and not embraced the workaround

Gloomstalker/assassin comes online when it really needs to, which is in the back third of act 2. I don’t know if that’s coming online late

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shes not knocked out, she's standing there.

Huh. Haven't seen that before. Fingers crossed it doesn't bug out and lets you recruit her in act 2! I had a similar thing happen with Alfira where she ended up still going to my camp after I had knocked her out. I had negative rep so she wouldn't talk to me (I didn't even get the cutscene of her showing up, she was just wandering around our camp). And then my character did the durge thing. In this case I think I hosed it up by healing her back up to full health after knocking her out, because in my last game she showed up at last light at 1 health and that is not great for surviving the last light fight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I think Larian should’ve doubled down on minthara being evil and not embraced the workaround

I don't because siding with the goblins rewards you with basically nothing but Minthara and you just cut out a bunch of ongoing plot involving the tieflings as a result.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't because siding with the goblins rewards you with basically nothing but Minthara and you just cut out a bunch of ongoing plot involving the tieflings as a result.

Shocking

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah i can't really imagine going goblin personally, Minthara doesn't offer much of a case for it gameplay-wise or story-wise

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Minthara has always been recruitable on a good run, they just removed about five steps in between where you have to turn her into a sheep and have Karlach yeet her into Moonrise Towers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I mean they chose to include that path, not sure why it wouldn't result in an alternate path with a comparable amount of content. It's handled in an incredibly lazy way. Why bother giving the players the option to begin with?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I am glad Minthara is exactly the way she is because I will never do a full evil run but I still get to hear her make jokes as she finds pieces of clown in act 3.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean they chose to include that path, not sure why it wouldn't result in an alternate path with a comparable amount of content. It's handled in an incredibly lazy way. Why bother giving the players the option to begin with?

Yeah, it seems like turning heel in the story just fucks everything over and there's not even a material benefit to it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just found out about evil… not good

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does the druid in the caverns by the grove thats unconscious show up anywhere else or does saving him really do anything for me? I forgot to save him so he dead and I looted the key thing off him.

exquisite tea posted:

Minthara has always been recruitable on a good run, they just removed about five steps in between where you have to turn her into a sheep and have Karlach yeet her into Moonrise Towers.

fuckin lmao

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Evil in computer rpgs means "snotty psychopath"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Does the druid in the caverns by the grove thats unconscious show up anywhere else or does saving him really do anything for me? I forgot to save him so he dead and I looted the key thing off him.

He’s a friendly in the battle with Kagha if you expose her and the shadow Druids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If he lives then he runs to the chamber with Kagha and will help fight against her if you confront her. He's kinda racist though it's okay to let him die. Remember to pickpocket his cool hat when he's KO'ed.