Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

lament.cfg posted:

i bought a bunch of the Bright Eyes represses, here's some download codes:

BRIGHT EYES - I'M WIDE AWAKE, IT'S MORNING: A COMPANION
DOWNLOAD CODE: DOC309.MOMfbdBqtfCd

BRIGHT EYES - LIFTED OR THE STORY IS IN THE SOIL, KEEP YOUR EAR TO THE GROUND: A COMPANION
DOWNLOAD CODE: DOC308.MOFVnquKRtxx

BRIGHT EYES - I'M WIDE AWAKE, IT'S MORNING
DOWNLOAD CODE: DOC290.MOPGDDAueMRM

BRIGHT EYES - LIFTED OR THE STORY IS IN THE SOIL, KEEP YOUR EAR TO THE GROUND
DOWNLOAD CODE: DOC286.MOSBRUEsjYyM

FOR PROMOTIONAL DOWNLOADS VISIT http://scjag.com/DOWNLOAD AND ENTER YOUR DOWNLOAD CODE.

The two albums proper have been redeemed, the companions can't be redeemed until 11 November

And you best believe i'll be there in 3 months to grab em :getin:

Also speaking of using downloads without saying anything, I used this yesterday

Listened to it on my walk last night, not really my style but thank you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

lament.cfg posted:

i bought a bunch of the Bright Eyes represses, here's some download codes:

BRIGHT EYES - I'M WIDE AWAKE, IT'S MORNING: A COMPANION
DOWNLOAD CODE: DOC309.MOMfbdBqtfCd

BRIGHT EYES - LIFTED OR THE STORY IS IN THE SOIL, KEEP YOUR EAR TO THE GROUND: A COMPANION
DOWNLOAD CODE: DOC308.MOFVnquKRtxx

BRIGHT EYES - I'M WIDE AWAKE, IT'S MORNING
DOWNLOAD CODE: DOC290.MOPGDDAueMRM

BRIGHT EYES - LIFTED OR THE STORY IS IN THE SOIL, KEEP YOUR EAR TO THE GROUND
DOWNLOAD CODE: DOC286.MOSBRUEsjYyM

FOR PROMOTIONAL DOWNLOADS VISIT http://scjag.com/DOWNLOAD AND ENTER YOUR DOWNLOAD CODE.

I ordered those represses, too. Pretty stoked about it.

I didn't go for the Companion albums though - do you have any of the companion albums that have already come out? Are they good?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

spinst posted:

I ordered those represses, too. Pretty stoked about it.

I didn't go for the Companion albums though - do you have any of the companion albums that have already come out? Are they good?

I got the Fevers & Mirrors Companion separately because it was sold out on Secretly, haven't opened it yet though. I'll let you know!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

z0331 posted:

I gotta stop impulsively picking up every Miles Davis album I see them post on their Instagram.

Disagree, keep buying all the Miles Davis

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
It's a good mail day:

One of my favorite recent finds! It's from 2003, you may know one of his songs from THUG2 in the Tony Hawk series.

Spoiler'd for butt.

Some barbershop beats.

And since y'all mentioned a Target vinyl sale:

Spoiler'd for butt.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Some vinyls this week:

Nordvargr - Resignation I-II-III (3xLP boxset)

alva noto + ryuichi sakamoto - insen

Some Northern Soul

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
About 2 weeks late on this, but here’s a Savers haul from a couple weeks ago. Part 1:

The Best of John Coltrane only had LP2 in the sleeve, HOWEVER the other sleeve had a beautiful copy of Sun Ship in it, so that’s something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Part 2: DYNAMIC KARATE

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Part 2: DYNAMIC KARATE

lol this is cool

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got these 2 also

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That kicks so much rear end... LITERALLY

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

BigFactory posted:

I got these 2 also

George Benson is good as hell, AND Earl Klugh?! Nice.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Read After Burning posted:

George Benson is good as hell, AND Earl Klugh?! Nice.

That album is kinda funny where they do White Rabbit and California Dreaming in the most accessible jazz fusion style possible but it has Herbie and Airto on it so it still ends up sounding a little bit like Bitches Brew in stretches.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I think it would probably be fairly easy to outrun an attacker that decided to wear platform shoes with a two inch heel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
As a birthday present for myself, I went ahead and got the Blondie box set. Rather than me take crappy pics, here's an unboxing video (it's long):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK4GPofqFuw

I got the red vinyl set because I'm a sucker for colored vinyl.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Got this pretty thing today:

Rocky Votolato - Wild Roots

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's been a while since I did one of these so here is my bukkake of records from the month of August.

Low Life is a UK pressing which only cost ten bucks. I got that, both Nina Hagen albums, and The Art of Falling Apart for 15 years ago prices. If you're in Providence, RI or Cambridge, MA I highly recommend The Armageddon Shop. Force the Hand of Chance is a Japan pressing which got here shockingly fast. I bought Tim Heidecker's album at his live show which was exactly as kooky as you'd expect. I'm too lazy to take better pictures, leave me alone.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Weird Al is an essential part of any bukkake

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I also found out that after 20+ years of turning up my nose at cassette tapes that they're not bad as long as you're using decent equipment. It's kind of hosed up my whole reality. I initially looked into it because I had a handful of things that were only released on cassette so I dug out my old barely used tape deck and hooked it up to my stereo. So I've grabbed a few things here and there because they were cheap and I'm shocked that they don't sound like dog poo poo. I'd only ever heard tapes on low end equipment. Right when I got Al in 3-D I came across the UHF album on tape for a buck so I got it because for a buck, why not? The LP version of that album is also quite expensive. Cassettes are never going to be my preferred format but they're certainly more worthwhile than I'd ever thought and when they're the cheapest way to get something (especially if I'm iffy on it) I'm not longer going to rule it out. I also picked up Butthole Surfers Double Live on tape. That album isn't exactly a reference quality recording anyway and the tape and CD versions have more songs than their more expensive LP counterpart. Techmoan did a whole video about this.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

You just have to deal with tape mold when collecting them now. I finally had enough that I didn't want to throw away so I build a machine to clean the mold off of them. I used a cordless drill and a bic pen to spin the tape hahah.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Got to keep the collection (kind of) complete.

Because this is my break up album and other reasons.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

You just have to deal with tape mold when collecting them now. I finally had enough that I didn't want to throw away so I build a machine to clean the mold off of them. I used a cordless drill and a bic pen to spin the tape hahah.

I don't plan on really building a collection of them or anything. It's just that now I won't rule them out as an option anymore.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Some of the stuff you guys post, I wonder if you actually like the music, or if you're just buying it for novelty sake

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

Some of the stuff you guys post, I wonder if you actually like the music, or if you're just buying it for novelty sake

Like what?

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Nihonniboku posted:

For $12 to $40 a pop on average, I can't afford novelty.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I treasure my Garth Brooks set.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I like cassettes because they remind me of when I first got into music as a kid. Listening to Peter Gabriel's Sixteen Golden Greats on trips with Dad, or Elton John's Greatest Hits with Mum. One Christmas I got Thriller on cassette and it was my most prized possession. When I discovered Prince I got 1999 on cassette from the library, then took it to school and got in trouble because it was inappropriate for the classroom.

I have a small collection of cassettes now. I like to tell myself that I have a rule of only albums released in the 90s, but I’ve clearly made multiple exceptions. I don’t even have a tape player so I cannot justify anything.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
gently caress it, I'll bukkake also. This month's poo poo:

Bonus. Amazon shipping #1. It's gone back.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have the Operation: LIVEcrime box set on cassette and VHS. Who’s gonna top that?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I should be posting my acquisitions of late, but I've been beat and half-melted from work kicking the poo poo out of me and some worse-than-minor-but-not-super-serious medical stuff, so they mostly just get listened to and then filed until the next time they get listened to, at which point I forget what the newest stuff I got is/was.

the last trip to half-price books landed me some fun ones, which my fiancee then paid for while I was in the bathroom because my birthday was recently. it was a nice surprise.

black sabbath - sabbath, bloody sabbath
paul mccartney - ram
van halen - (s/t)
captain beyond - dawn explosion
ramones - too tough to die

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

love coming into this thread to see peeps mailbags. Keep it coming!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I feel like my local shop has gone insane. Some of these records feel like junk you used to find at value village.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

I feel like my local shop has gone insane. Some of these records feel like junk you used to find at value village.

Which ones look like thrift store finds to you?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

All of em? None of those are really super rare. Discogs and greedy sellers have ruined the market. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's worth way more.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

very happy with these 2 pick ups — Arvo Part's Fur Alina and a bootleg Alice Coltrane........ too bad i'm moving and my record player's packed up so i won't get to spin these for a while

Wraith of J.O.I. fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 28, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

All of em? None of those are really super rare. Discogs and greedy sellers have ruined the market. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's worth way more.

I was thinking of the ones from the late 90s that were basically only produced on CD or cassette.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Stopped by a record store in Old Town Alexandria I'd never been to before, and picked up these, which will scratch a Wes Anderson-ian itch and fill a Pretenders-shaped hole in my shelves:

And noticed as I was checking out a sign by the register noting the whole building was being demolished next year, no doubt to make way for expensive townhouse like seemed to be around the rest of the area, so they're looking for new space (or, I imagine, will cease to operate a store after that). Which was a bummer.

And just had this arrive in the mail from Lithuania, which is the first time I've ordered anything from overseas on the Discogs:

My favorite song of that album, and I'm glad to find the single as the album is outside my price range by a fair bit. And with dollar so strong against the Euro, decided to pull the trigger on a Therapie Taxi album I'd been wanting for awhile but couldn't find domestically. Eagerly awaiting that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

For $12 to $40 a pop on average, I can't afford novelty.

This.

BigFactory posted:

I was thinking of the ones from the late 90s that were basically only produced on CD or cassette.

Imagine paying almost 300 bucks to listen to Mariah Carey.

On a serious note, I'm not an expert on those specific records but what a lot of people do no is they basically use discogs as a price guide and will just find whatever is the highest price someone is selling or has sold for and slap that on the price tag regardless of if that's what people are really paying.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 28, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Imagine paying almost 300 bucks to listen to Mariah Carey.

I can’t imagine doing that but I suspect those records are fairly rare for such a big artist. Most things from that time period are.

Median price on discogs for a ‘97 Butterfly is $250.
It’s sold for higher.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

hexwren posted:

I should be posting my acquisitions of late, but I've been beat and half-melted from work kicking the poo poo out of me and some worse-than-minor-but-not-super-serious medical stuff, so they mostly just get listened to and then filed until the next time they get listened to, at which point I forget what the newest stuff I got is/was.

the last trip to half-price books landed me some fun ones, which my fiancee then paid for while I was in the bathroom because my birthday was recently. it was a nice surprise.

black sabbath - sabbath, bloody sabbath
paul mccartney - ram
van halen - (s/t)
captain beyond - dawn explosion
ramones - too tough to die

Nice titles, hope you got a good price on them.

I've given up on my local HPB: