Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

notaspy posted:

Are the growls wet or the leopards?

I just looked up how many times Abnett mentions leopards to describe Space Wolves, and the answer is 19 times. I also noticed that I misremembered how he hyphenated that abominable phrase; it's actually wet leopard-growl, so it's definitely the growls that are wet. Not that that clears anything up, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Bob Quixote posted:

Has anyone here read/listened-to The Wraithbone Phoenix?

I really enjoyed the first Baggit & Claude audio drama and was curious about checking out the new full length novel, but my book budget is limited.

A drat fine caper that has more gravitas than a Ciaphas Cain book.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Sephyr posted:

The firt three (Horus Rising, False God, Galaxy in Flames) for the inciting incident.
Legion for the 'conspiracy' aspect.
The First Heretic and Betrayer (Possibly Aurelian) for the threads that become bital in EoE
A Thousand Sons for the Magnus/Russ angle.

Thankfully those are pretty good. If you have time and get in geat, there are other good ones, but they usually don't factor much. And void Angel Exterminatus, Battle for the Abyss and Vengeful Spirit.

I’d also add Fulgrim to the list for the final battle. Dunno about Legion: it’s good but not very relevant.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I’d also add Fulgrim to the list for the final battle. Dunno about Legion: it’s good but not very relevant.

Abnett is writing the last two (!) books so I'm sure we'll be getting a lot of Perpetual stuff in the climax, which makes Legion and Know No Fear nice to have read beforehand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

Assassin civil war, also a great idea. They really fumbled that one.
We might get the Van Dire mess later, when they run out of Heresy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yo Echoes of Eternity fuckin owned bones, easily the best Siege book. Holy gently caress. Guilliman's message at the end, god drat.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Arkhan Land talking poo poo about Space Marines was hilarious. "Of course you Know No Fear, you have nothing to lose."

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Syncopated posted:

Abnett is writing the last two (!) books so I'm sure we'll be getting a lot of Perpetual stuff in the climax, which makes Legion and Know No Fear nice to have read beforehand.

Yup, this is why I added it. Lots of Perpetual stuff (ugh) in the Siege series and it has to headed somewhere...right?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Biplane posted:

Yo Echoes of Eternity fuckin owned bones, easily the best Siege book. Holy gently caress. Guilliman's message at the end, god drat.

It's really good. Quick spoiler for Dawn of Fire and Plague War series:

Guilliman is coming to terms with it in the new setting, but EoE made me realize how much poo poo the other primarchs on Terra have gone through and how Guilliman simply can't relate to it at all. Sanguinius and Vulkan especially are coming to terms with what they really are (warp juiced super demons in a thin veneer of humanity) and they're all so far along the lines of thought of what the warp really is and how it interacts with reality. Meanwhile Guilliman wakes up in a post heresy world and he's still thinking in terms of the Imperial Truth and still doesn't really get that his dad is actually a god at this point.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Plucky Brit posted:

Arkhan Land talking poo poo about Space Marines was hilarious. "Of course you Know No Fear, you have nothing to lose."

The next time someone jacks off about Marines they should be read the Arkhan Land speech for context.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

The next time someone jacks off about Marines they should be read the Arkhan Land speech for context.

Yup. Really, only a lovely universe of Only War like 40k would have astartes as anything remotely inspiring or desireable.

...even if it's still a bit hilarious how the official line is "nonono, they are ALL grim despotic villains, you're not supposed to look up to ANY of them!" whenever mega-chuds use 40K stuff as a positive example for their fascist ideas, while lionizing Space Marines reletlessly in art and themes.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Sephyr posted:

Yup. Really, only a lovely universe of Only War like 40k would have astartes as anything remotely inspiring or desireable.

...even if it's still a bit hilarious how the official line is "nonono, they are ALL grim despotic villains, you're not supposed to look up to ANY of them!" whenever mega-chuds use 40K stuff as a positive example for their fascist ideas, while lionizing Space Marines reletlessly in art and themes.

Halo is all over the drat place in this regard.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

It's really good. Quick spoiler for Dawn of Fire and Plague War series:

Guilliman is coming to terms with it in the new setting, but EoE made me realize how much poo poo the other primarchs on Terra have gone through and how Guilliman simply can't relate to it at all. Sanguinius and Vulkan especially are coming to terms with what they really are (warp juiced super demons in a thin veneer of humanity) and they're all so far along the lines of thought of what the warp really is and how it interacts with reality. Meanwhile Guilliman wakes up in a post heresy world and he's still thinking in terms of the Imperial Truth and still doesn't really get that his dad is actually a god at this point.

I think he is coming around to the whole "the emperor is god" thing, though Bob is also pretty clear that he doesn't consider big e his father.

Vulkan has been treated like the Miles O'Brian of the primarchs and it is a little tiresome.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

FPyat posted:

Halo is all over the drat place in this regard.

Very much so.

The lore is pretty blatant in going 'Hey, the SPARTANS are basically force multipliers for colonial tyranny, ONI is creepy as gently caress!", but the games are all "Hells YEAH! Finish the fight! I would blow up New Mombasa twice over if it means more cool Spartans!"

It's kind of unavoidable. The setting has to be engaging and fun. Maybe someday someone will make a hit game about spending 90% of the time in a bunker getting trenchfoot/eating lovely food, then going over the wire to get merked by artillery without ever seeing an enemy, but I'm not counting on it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol the tone disconnect between the Halo games (shoot funny aliens into giblets, hooah, kick rear end take names and win the day hero) and Halo lore (kidnap children to brainwash and put through genetic experiments, use those child soldiers to suppress anti-colonial movements, a military junta usurps the government during a space genocide war with aliens) is insane

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Sephyr posted:

Maybe someday someone will make a hit game about spending 90% of the time in a bunker getting trenchfoot/eating lovely food, then going over the wire to get merked by artillery without ever seeing an enemy, but I'm not counting on it.

The intro level of Battlefield 1 actually did that quite effectively - you die several dozen times in the course of a few minutes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Foxhole is nothing but that. It's amazing.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

Lol the tone disconnect between the Halo games (shoot funny aliens into giblets, hooah, kick rear end take names and win the day hero) and Halo lore (kidnap children to brainwash and put through genetic experiments, use those child soldiers to suppress anti-colonial movements, a military junta usurps the government during a space genocide war with aliens) is insane

The recent TV show which was called "inaccurate" by many fans actually showed that they're a bunch of mindwiped child soldiers committing atrocities on behalf of a military junta. Oh also the Chief has sex which was controversial.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

It owns

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
Here's a good video that rates the Horus Heresy novels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1m8gmu3Nyc

There is a list summary below in the comments if you don't want to click through the video.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I have a question re: Night Lord trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. What exactly makes it less accessible as a series?

I haven’t read a huge amount of 40k, but enough for the feel and general understanding. I’ve read all the Eisenhorn books, all the Ravenor ones, the Armageddon series (Grimaldus), and the first couple of the Horus Heresy.

Is there something I should read before dipping into Night Lord trilogy to give me sufficient background or context?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

rufius posted:

I have a question re: Night Lord trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. What exactly makes it less accessible as a series?

I haven’t read a huge amount of 40k, but enough for the feel and general understanding. I’ve read all the Eisenhorn books, all the Ravenor ones, the Armageddon series (Grimaldus), and the first couple of the Horus Heresy.

Is there something I should read before dipping into Night Lord trilogy to give me sufficient background or context?

You're probably fine to jump in on the back of those. It's less accessible in that it expects you to A. Know what Space Marines are and B. Have some small knowledge of the Heresy to give the characters context, as they don't go into detail about it in the books. Unlike Eisenhorn which really requires no prior knowledge, it explains itself to you as it goes along.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
You should also remember/know that time passes differently in the Eye, so even though its 10,000 years later, these characters are relatively young and still carry the same grievances from the earlier times.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/11/sunday-preview-the-leagues-of-votann-are-on-their-way/

For those who have been hungering for some Warhammer crime books; The Vorbis Conspiracy goes up for pre-order next weekend.

And anniversary edition of Nightbringer.
Must be like its third or even fourth reprint by now.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

rufius posted:

You can read it whenever but I think people say to wait if you're unfamiliar with 40k or the Heresy bc the background knowledge of the lore makes the reading experience much more enjoyable and epic not that it isn't already. It's like have a glass of wine before it properly airs you could say🤣

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

rufius posted:

You have more than enough of a toe in the lore to enjoy the Night Lords trilogy. Go ahead!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If you have any idea what space marines and chaos and the Imperium are then the Night Lords books are plenty accessible, it'll just be a lot if you're going into it without any prior exposure to the setting.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

IllustriousChen posted:

Here's a good video that rates the Horus Heresy novels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1m8gmu3Nyc

There is a list summary below in the comments if you don't want to click through the video.

That's a very decent summary of the series.

I'm glad I'm not alone in just shaking my head at how 'Mortis' turned out. Even allowing for how hard it is to make a series of predestined events seem fresh and interesting, that book is such a hot mess. I remember first reading up on the Siege of terra when I first got into 40k and how Dies Irae was the Imperator that finally breached the main palace in a colossal battle, but in this book that is a jumbled, anticlimactic slog. The Perpetual bullshit is honestly the best part of the book, and I -hate- that plotline, which goes a long way to show how much it doesn't gel for me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
John Grammaticus is the worst part of the entire 60+ books double-series.

(I don't know if he's in Mortis, it's just what "perpetuals" made me think of)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Count Thrashula posted:

John Grammaticus is the worst part of the entire 60+ books double-series.

(I don't know if he's in Mortis, it's just what "perpetuals" made me think of)

Well bad news but my dad works at Games Workshop and he says after the Vengeful Spirit Showdown, where John Grammaticus kills Black Rage Sanguinius and Ascended Horus at the same time, saving the Emperor, he changes his name to Gregor Eisenhorn, and then Ollanius Pius changes his name to Ibram Gaunt.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think the worst Perpetual in the series is the edgy dude who is strongly implied to have shot Reverend King Jr. which uh

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just want to pick up a cheap paperback copy of Echoes of Eternity and read trashy space mans fiction but GW have no interest in letting me do that,so I might take to the high seas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Someone has been putting up audio book chapters of Echoes of Eternity on youtube. Jonathan Keeble nailing it as usual.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Also the book has been out for what, a week? Paperback is a while away.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

DaysBefore posted:

I think the worst Perpetual in the series is the edgy dude who is strongly implied to have shot Reverend King Jr. which uh
It could have been Bobby Kennedy.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Plucky Brit posted:

It could have been Bobby Kennedy.
The Perpetual in question was said to have killed "the Good Man" in Memphis, which rules out Robert Kennedy (who was assassinated in Los Angeles).

… unless he was a Perpetual all along. :tinfoil:

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
And here was me thinking Abnett had made something at least slightly ambiguous.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just want to pick up a cheap paperback copy of Echoes of Eternity and read trashy space mans fiction but GW have no interest in letting me do that,so I might take to the high seas

Someone should give this Culture Ship the link.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 12, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's easier and cheaper to get actually hard to print books like House of Leaves than a new warhammer book.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

DaysBefore posted:

That's the smoking man from X-Files