Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
It's a shame that our favorite browser extension doesn't OCR images, because it's super appropriate here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Che Delilas posted:

It's a shame that our favorite browser extension doesn't OCR images, because it's super appropriate here.
http://projectnaptha.com

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Is Zengine as poo poo as I think it is?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
It's a terrible emulator, you shouldn't use it at all.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry that you can't see it, but it's a really dumb word.
It's not a dumb word, it describes a very real practice.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Everyone here RDPs into servers with domain admin credentials. I'm receiving pushback for suggesting we use RSAT with utility accounts. I think I need to show someone what it actually looks like to use them because I don't know why anyone would want to juggle a bunch of remote sessions. Maybe I'm missing something.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I RDP with domain admin creds too because I give no fucks.

For me at least this is probably because I have to VPN into the datacenter to access production. There's no scenario where I'm connected to production and don't need my domain admin account, so adding an additional step there just seems needlessly tedious. I'm not on an office PC sharing a VLAN with 3 other departments and occasionally hitting the DC. If I VPN, it's domain admin time.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 28, 2017

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why are you still logging into servers? Devops all the things. You guys are living in the past

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When I devops them, can I scrum the agile docker too?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You need to optimize and utilize the assets according to the utilization of your company performance

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I'm more confused why people are initiating RDP sessions on multiple servers instead of just logging into one machine and using the remote tools that let you manipulate all of those things from one spot. I don't particularly care if it's domain admin, although that seems stupid in our environment.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Let's synergize our core competencies

:gooncamp:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I don't know what's happening right now. I'm going to try to DevOps the world by using old Microsoft tools.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If you use RDP and all of your servers aren't core you might as well be running some 2003 servers with them skillz

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

milk milk lemonade posted:

If you use RDP and all of your servers aren't core you might as well be running some 2003 servers with them skillz

Our most critical system is on AS400 and you can (and sometimes need) to telnet into the back end core that started this whole mess in the late 80s.

Our least critical systems are cloud, ha, built on modern stacks.

It's a weird dichotomy.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Cirofren posted:

Our most critical system is on AS400 and you can (and sometimes need) to telnet into the back end core that started this whole mess in the late 80s.

Our least critical systems are cloud, ha, built on modern stacks.

It's a weird dichotomy.
5250 4 Lyfe :black101:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

System I Navigator!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You kid, but I have the System iNavigator with custom 5250 sessions built into our images. We're working on a web front end so people stop bitching that 5250 looks old. Now it looks old, but it's a url!

Also we're spending like 150k to get a second AS400 off site as DR.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What's the best way to pick up Ansible, Jenkins, and other data center automation tools? Looking through job postings and holy poo poo do cloud engineers demand high salaries around here. I'd love to get in on that sweet cloud payday while my career is still young.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's the best way to pick up Ansible, Jenkins, and other data center automation tools? Looking through job postings and holy poo poo do cloud engineers demand high salaries around here. I'd love to get in on that sweet cloud payday while my career is still young.

Start labbing yesterday

It's really something you need to get your hands dirty with.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Honestly, pick a project and automate it using those tools. Something like a basic elasticsearch stack. Write ansible code to deploy the application. Orchestrate it through jenkins.

You can get as complex as you want.

The current stack I've designed is:

1) packer runs ansible code in ansible-local mode to prebake AWS amis with middleware preinstalled but not configured
2) ansible code that handles configuring an instance when it starts (the deploy code) is packaged and uploaded to s3
3) terraform creates AWS resources with the EC2 cloud-init set to download the ansible deploy artifact from s3 and configure the application when the instance boots

Terraform and packer are kicked off through someone clicking a button in rundeck. All of my code is in github and is hooked up to AWS CodePipeline and CodeDeploy to package the ansible code and dump artifacts in s3.

So basically whenever an instance starts it configures itself based on the code uploaded to s3. You could cut out the entire prebake step but when you're dealing with poo poo like WebLogic or large middleware components that take a long time to install I like to speed up instance boot time by prebaking as much of that into the AMI as possible and just installing config files when the instance boots. (This methodology is one of the reasons I dislike AWS OpsWorks. It installs everything onto a blank AMI when a new instance starts.)

There's a ton of overhead in building something like this but then when it all works it's magical. I ran a rundeck upgrade the other day by uploading a new rpm to s3, changing a variable in an ansible playbook, and running "terraform apply"

I've got my automation automated. It's recursive. And it's beautiful.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 28, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Github link?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Tab8715 posted:

Github link?

It's all in the company github. At some point I'm going to write up a skeleton for a lot of the poo poo I've been doing and publish it to my personal account but I just haven't had time.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ansible is easy as hell to practice because you can just replace shell scripts with it. Automate anything you would do by running remote ssh commands. Set up an inventory file for a group of servers and use ad-hoc mode to restart services or run a command to check something everywhere... stuff like that.

Unlike stuff like puppet you don't have to build out some complicated master server, you just need python. You can point it to some local VMs or stuff on a free tier AWS account.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

You can set your inventory file to localhost and write ansible code that just modifies the local system. Then you don't even need a remote machine.

Also I would seriously suggest to everyone who uses ansible to check out librarian-ansible if you're not already using it. It lets you easily externalize all of your ansible roles so you don't need to keep them tied into a specific playbook or duplicate code in multiple places. It's wonderful.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 28, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What if you're a Windows only on prem shop?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Get good at PowerShell?

Chef has pretty reasonable Windows support these days as well if you want to get one of the major config management tools on your resume.

edit: Are any of you Windows people using Desired State Configuration in the wild? I know Microsoft wants it to be A Thing, but I have no idea how much traction it's getting among real users.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 28, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Powershell DSC

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

Powershell DSC

This is truth. DSC in conjunction with Chef is what we use. We're mixed; so we use Chef and leverage DSC to do a lot of the Windows configurations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
All the servers here (physical and VM) are 2008 R2. If I can get approval to upgrade everything to 2016 are there new tools that would be useful to a small place like mine?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

All the servers here (physical and VM) are 2008 R2. If I can get approval to upgrade everything to 2016 are there new tools that would be useful to a small place like mine?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/honolulu/honolulu

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:catstare:

gently caress yes, we're going to Hawaii! So long MMC!

EDIT: I just printed out the Ignite Honolulu poster on tabloid size paper and pinned it to my board. Goals!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 28, 2017

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

This looks awesome and I can't wait to try it out.

Oh wai...

quote:

Publishing the web server to DNS and setting up the corporate firewall can allow you to access Honolulu from the public internet, enabling you to connect to, and manage, your servers from anywhere with Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome (other browsers' compatibility has not been tested).

Oh yes, totally. Please, tell me more about how I should expose the universal tool that manages my entire infrastructure to the internet. What could possibly go wrong there.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Hello Thread, let me introduce myself: My name is Nitramster and I work at Geek Squad (get your punches in now, please)

Okay a little background because I'd like some advice:
I'm 32 now and basically chose a technical skill I ended up not being happy with so I'm in a bit of a 1/3rd life crisis I suppose. I started going back to community college off and on the last few years but I'm not really sure I'm ever going to get a 4 year degree. I took a job at geek squad about 18 months ago (if you're unsure of what positions they have in-store, there's basically the guy customers talk to and the guy behind the curtain doing the "work" on the computer, and various levels of management depending on the stores size) I got hired as the front end guy because I have sales experience but about 8 months ago I moved to the back end because it pays more and I'm qualified *enough*. I basically run an automated system they use that does a lot of stuff I'm sure a real IT person knows that fixes problems with windows and runs malware scans, then if the problem still exists I do some hands on stuff. If all else fails I reset the computer.

As you can tell, like a "casual play along guitarist", I sorta know whats going on but I don't know how or why. I'm mildly interested in learning what I don't know, and for a listless person like myself I'm taking that as my queue to think about a career path in IT.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind sharing your experiences and knowledge.

1. Exactly how upward is this career? Maybe I lack foresight but it seems like you basically fix poo poo and or build poo poo and then after a decade or so you start managing the people that do that and then...?

2. What are realistic wages/salaries to expect along the way?

3. The certification megathread first post has already answered the learning part for me, but what are the paths you goons went down?

4. How long should I hold the barrel of the gun in my mouth at GeekSquad? Should I wait till I get an A+ cert? (I flipped through the book, judging by how high I felt an eyebrow rise on my face it'll take me a while)

5. Anything else I should think about?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

This looks awesome and I can't wait to try it out.

Oh wai...

Oh yes, totally. Please, tell me more about how I should expose the universal tool that manages my entire infrastructure to the internet. What could possibly go wrong there.

Eh, can!=should.

And while I agree with you about opening up administrative stuff to the Internet, you could make the same argument about using cloud SaaS services. You can log into your O365 account via the web and do all sorts of bad things from outside of your network. 2FA should be in place for these types of admin interfaces anyways, although I will admit to not knowing if that's even an option in that case.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Nitramster posted:

1. Exactly how upward is this career? Maybe I lack foresight but it seems like you basically fix poo poo and or build poo poo and then after a decade or so you start managing the people that do that and then...?

3. The certification megathread first post has already answered the learning part for me, but what are the paths you goons went down?

4. How long should I hold the barrel of the gun in my mouth at GeekSquad? Should I wait till I get an A+ cert? (I flipped through the book, judging by how high I felt an eyebrow rise on my face it'll take me a while)

1. I don't really know how to answer this question so I'll say that IT, in general, is probably more upwardly-mobile than most fields for those that get the skills and know when it's time to move on. It is one of the better fields to get in sans a college degree since once you get your feet wet, employers don't care that much about a degree (varies, of course). It takes a lot of studying after work though.

2. What area? It varies widely. In DFW I'd say 30-40k for a basic help desk job would be expected, and it goes up from there.

3. A+ --> N+ --> MCP (Win 7) --> S+ --> CCNA --> Working on MCSA 2012

4. Apply for help desk jobs now, leave as soon as possible. A+ is of questionable value but there's a lot of online resources like Professor Messer (Google him) that I'd recommend. Beyond the fact that you have to memorize a lot of useless facts, A+ should hopefully not give you that much trouble.

5. What you're learning at Geek Squad probably has little application in IT unfortunately. You're going to jump to format and reinstall a lot faster on client machines than I imagine you guys do, in a corporate setting.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The clouds are the limit :yayclod:

Depends highly on area, but above-average

For me, getting started was in my teen years building PCs and troubleshooting and whatnot, and since then have held plenty of respectable jobs and my resume looks good. I've gotten a couple certs, but for me experience actually doing the job has been much more helpful. Don't feel like you need to get a cert before you look for a job!

No harm in looking around for jobs now, right? Don't quit or anything, but see if GS will pay for a cert test and look for a helpdesk or tier 1 technician job somewhere.

I fell like in this line of work you have to be self-driven, it's easy to get lazy and complacent. I'm guilty of that sometimes, but I like the pace of government work. Some aspects can be stressful (hence the fantastic liquor recommendations that come out of this thread), but if you're at all interested in it it's worth pursing. A year and a half at BB is more than enough exp. to land another job, and the customer service experience helps. Lots of poor communicators in the field so if you're at all personable, play that up. Good luck!

CloFan fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 28, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Get good at PowerShell?

Chef has pretty reasonable Windows support these days as well if you want to get one of the major config management tools on your resume.

edit: Are any of you Windows people using Desired State Configuration in the wild? I know Microsoft wants it to be A Thing, but I have no idea how much traction it's getting among real users.

DSC rules, powershell rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nitramster posted:

I'm 32 now and basically chose a technical skill I ended up not being happy with so I'm in a bit of a 1/3rd life crisis I suppose.

Don't worry. We're the same age, and if you're anything like me then IT has driven you to drink so much that you are firmly into mid-life.

I actually gave up on my dream job (motorcycle mechanic) to return to this nightmare of an industry, in order to keep in the good graces of my wife.
I now have a cushy but probably underpaid position with a local government. Even though it's a way better pace and way less responsibility and WAY fewer hours than my last IT job, it's still a hilarious shitshow. However it's work, and very stable work at that. I don't have to job-hunt every 6 months and I know what time I am going to be home every night.
I could be making better money, and I probably could have a better position elsewhere, but I'm happy. The biggest thing is to realize that it's just a job. If there's things I want to do or learn I can do that on my own time, I suppose. I fully plan on stagnating here for quite the while though.

My coworker used to work for geek squad. We worked together at our last job. He sort of fell into the position after being laid off of geek squad, which is probably the best possible thing that could have happened to him. He's really smart and has a ton of experience in a wide range of things from hacking arcade machines to setting up microwave tower links, building out and running lan rooms, etc. But he hadn't had a "real job" before. He just got the boot and took the first thing that came along. We were both incredibly, ridiculously overworked (80 hour work weeks) and underpaid (about 1/4 of what we should have been making) but we struggled through it for about 3 years. We soaked it all in, learned everything we could under pressure and under fire, did the work of an 8 person team. But I digress...

Anyway I guess what I'm saying is, he quit the GS, took a crazy bullshit job, was abused for 3 years, but eventually got a way better job and is happy now. So maybe that's a route for you?
You might be in a 'out of the frying pan and into the fire' position. So just be prepared for that.