Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I think as long as you're indoors (meaning you've gone through a loading screen) you'll be safe from the rads.

That reminds me. I'm not far in, but are there actual purchaseable homes in the game or are the buildable settlements the closest we can get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
My vault 111 elevator glitched out and I cannot get inside to loot the cryolator.

So, I figure I'll go to the test room (coc qasmoke in the console) and grab it.

My question though is how do I get back to the main game from the test room with the cryolater? II have no idea how to get back to the game from the test room with whatever I looted still on me.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

coc sanctuaryext

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Are there any other settlement locations which are conveniently near to a shop - but not on-location? I like the drive-in because after I dump gear I can go check the shop to see if there's any veggies I'm missing etc, and usually I get an encounter when I walk there from the drive-in.

Also at the Drive-In Dogmeat found a teddy bear somewhere and loves playing with it when I leave him behind. I collected a series of balls and left them for him as well, now. God dogge :3:

Geokinesis posted:

I remember someone asking what commands you can give to animals with the full Animal Friend perk.

Well you can order them around as you would a follower no trade or talk though. It is a slight improvement over incite in that you can direct the animal and maybe get it to grab stuff for you, also if you stay outside you can actually get the animal to keep coming along with you.
One of these days I wanna get that robot hacking ability then go to the robotics junkyard, crank up the deathbot, and go on a jaunt through the wasteland - maybe we'll stop by that Mr Happy theme park to get a few more friends as well!

CJacobs posted:

No, they say that about anything that doesn't have someone assigned to it. Not having someone assigned to plants just means that they won't be automatically picked/added to the workbench inventory.
I plant so many plants in my settlements that I just figured it's a random bark. I have noticed that you don't have to assign a settler to a specific plant (apparently?), I saw the one guy on my settlement farm four different kinds of plants, wandering between and doing all the animations etc, while I was building earlier.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

khy posted:

That reminds me. I'm not far in, but are there actual purchaseable homes in the game or are the buildable settlements the closest we can get?

You can buy one in Diamond City (it's loving filthy), and I've gotten one as a quest reward (it's clean but cramped). Might be more.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there any way to prod a companion to being a companion again? Piper wandered off during the Valentine thing and now whenever I talk to her she just says something generic about the Fort and doesn't bring up the dialogue wheel at all.

I've done the old standby of resurrect, but that just makes it worse. I don't realllly care, Curie4life, but it's annoying

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Vertbirds are an endless source of entertainment, as I was talking to that Conman Cult near Diamond City, one crashed and exploded outside the office, and the shockwave caused everything in the room to go flying.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 18, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just today I saw a vertibird get rpg sniped out of the air and fall to the ground

a power armor knight walked out of the flaming wreckage like it was nothing

... for all of five steps before a super mutant suicider waltzed up and atomized the poor sap

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fans posted:

Hilariously overpowered. The fear syringe makes Deathclaws a complete non threat.

Really? I tried using it on a few things and it always seemed better to just shoot them in the head with a sniper bullet.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just spent like three minutes trying to put a tri-fold American flag back on it's shelf standing up in my house with hold E object manipulation thing because you can't put poo poo on those shelves in workshop mode.

Codsworth, I understand your pain now.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Oh man. So there's already mods out that increase the number of placeables in settlements. I hope they're compatible with existing save games, and that Bethesda improved things on that end too. :allears:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Caidin posted:

I just spent like three minutes trying to put a tri-fold American flag back on it's shelf standing up in my house with hold E object manipulation thing because you can't put poo poo on those shelves in workshop mode.

Codsworth, I understand your pain now.

Even if you do manage it, most likely the physics will make any object rocket off the shelf at the speed of light eventually.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had a positive moment with the the BoS :yippie:

I'm at West Everett Estates, and it's filled with Super Mutants. I'm getting my rear end tore off and thinking I should come back with my power armor, when I hear a vertibird noise, look over, to find there's a BoS Paladin with a minigun, ripping the poo poo out of everything. While I'm not too keen on their story backslide from 3, it was rad as hell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kimmalah posted:

Even if you do manage it, most likely the physics will make any object rocket off the shelf at the speed of light eventually.

Depends on the item. I have a rack for helmets and they never move around, but a bunch of other stuff I've placed slides around seemingly at random. For as cool as the settlement system is, I'm annoyed we didn't get an option to superglue objects in place.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kimmalah posted:

I actually haven't had that happen in F4 yet. The physics seem much better than Skyrim, even if it occasionally glitches out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I'm at West Everett Estates, and it's filled with Super Mutants. I'm getting my rear end tore off and thinking I should come back with my power armor, when I hear a vertibird noise, look over, to find there's a BoS Paladin with a minigun, ripping the poo poo out of everything. While I'm not too keen on their story backslide from 3, it was rad as hell.

At what point does this kind of thing start happening? I've joined the Brotherhood and finished the Lost Patrol/Semper Invicta. But now I'm just doing errand quests and I've never seen a single vertibird in the sky. Not really concerned about spoilers. I don't think Danse even gave me any other big task, it was just "Thanks I'll file this report, help my guys with errands."

I did West Everett all alone. :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ick, when are you intended to do Taking Independence? The Mirelurk Queen is insanely powerful and basically ignores my power armour at level 22.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Archonex posted:

Oh man. So there's already mods out that increase the number of placeables in settlements. I hope they're compatible with existing save games, and that Bethesda improved things on that end too. :allears:

it kinda sucks, they are in random locations, like fences and rugs, and are all dirt cheap to build resource wise, and the beds dont count as beds etc. Gonna need the GECK for the real stuff.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Ick, when are you intended to do Taking Independence? The Mirelurk Queen is insanely powerful and basically ignores my power armour at level 22.

I was up on the battlements when she spawned, so I stayed up there and hit her with 3 mini-nukes. She was so focused on Preston and random NPC dude down in the courtyard that I never even got attacked.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Kimmalah posted:

At what point does this kind of thing start happening? I've joined the Brotherhood and finished the Lost Patrol/Semper Invicta. But now I'm just doing errand quests and I've never seen a single vertibird in the sky. Not really concerned about spoilers. I don't think Danse even gave me any other big task, it was just "Thanks I'll file this report, help my guys with errands."

I did West Everett all alone. :(

You need to do the Valentine quest line, it will be VERY obvious when the BOS stuff progresses.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

poptart_fairy posted:

You can cheese it by hanging out indoors and shooting out. I managed to finish this when I was well below level 22 by taking a SHITLOAD of drugs and, well, shooting her from inside. Definitely took a few retries though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

You need to do the Valentine quest line, it will be VERY obvious when the BOS stuff progresses.

Got it, I just started that now. Fortunately the other posters were right about bleed damage being insanely strong so it's not a huge deal if I can stay alive long enough to shoot. :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Amazing job! I would KILL for more outdoor streetlamp-style lighting options though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

LumberingTroll posted:

it kinda sucks, they are in random locations, like fences and rugs, and are all dirt cheap to build resource wise, and the beds dont count as beds etc. Gonna need the GECK for the real stuff.

Yeah. I checked it out. There's apparently only so much you can do without the GECK.

Then again, placing Liberty Prime in my settlement was loving hilarious.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game is ridiculous and the Institute is ridiculous and the only legitimate option is to go in with the Brotherhood, destroy the Institute and everyone in it and destroy the Railroad, killing every single Synth without a lick of remorse. At least the Institute was right in saying "they're just machines, don't worry about their humanity" as they tried to make them more and more human. WHY DO THIS??? WHY MAKE THESE STUPID ROBOTS??? WHY??? Every other villain made an army or raised an army and was looking to destroy their enemies with impunity, but the Institute wants to... replace humans with Synths so that they can... control... the Commonwealth or something? Why not use their infinite and super-strong robot army to do this by force...? It's not like anyone can stop them.

And yet I'm sure the canon ending is to take over the Institute from Father Son. Seriously, why did they make the kid who started out as a test subject end up running the place and then have everyone end up calling him Father? God this plot is retarded.

For some reason, Bethesda's boner for the Brotherhood is justified-- they're the only legitimate option in this stupid loving plot

Game is still fun as poo poo though. Can't wait for mods.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Depends on the item. I have a rack for helmets and they never move around, but a bunch of other stuff I've placed slides around seemingly at random. For as cool as the settlement system is, I'm annoyed we didn't get an option to superglue objects in place.

wasn't that system in skyrim anyway? kinda weird that they'd remove it for this when they add a whole "build your own clubhouse" thing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

wasn't that system in skyrim anyway? kinda weird that they'd remove it for this when they add a whole "build your own clubhouse" thing

Unless it was added in a later patch/DLC, it was not. The houses in Bethesda games almost always have some shelf/stand/whatever dedicated to placing certain items on them, like the bobblehead stand in this game, but for random stuff you find in the world you have to place it yourself.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

This game is ridiculous and the Institute is ridiculous and the only legitimate option is to go in with the Brotherhood, destroy the Institute and everyone in it and destroy the Railroad, killing every single Synth without a lick of remorse. At least the Institute was right in saying "they're just machines, don't worry about their humanity" as they tried to make them more and more human. WHY DO THIS??? WHY MAKE THESE STUPID ROBOTS??? WHY??? Every other villain made an army or raised an army and was looking to destroy their enemies with impunity, but the Institute wants to... replace humans with Synths so that they can... control... the Commonwealth or something? Why not use their infinite and super-strong robot army to do this by force...? It's not like anyone can stop them.

And yet I'm sure the canon ending is to take over the Institute from Father Son. Seriously, why did they make the kid who started out as a test subject end up running the place and then have everyone end up calling him Father? God this plot is retarded.

For some reason, Bethesda's boner for the Brotherhood is justified-- they're the only legitimate option in this stupid loving plot

I don't know why they let him take over, but they call him "Father" because his DNA is the basis for all synths, of the current gen anyway. Not that it's not kind of dumb, but that's the reasoning.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

From reading about them it seems the Institute is just a big facility full of people like the Think Tank from New Vegas, so the threat the Institute poses might be the same: left to their own devices they'll just experiment on the whole wasteland randomly and inhumanely with no regard for morality until everyone is dead and then they'll do experiments to see if they can reanimate the corpses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know why they let him take over, but they call him "Father" because his DNA is the basis for all synths, of the current gen anyway. Not that it's not kind of dumb, but that's the reasoning.

Oh right, I forgot that was the reasoning. It's still stupid as poo poo though I agree.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

2house2fly posted:

From reading about them it seems the Institute is just a big facility full of people like the Think Tank from New Vegas, so the threat the Institute poses might be the same: left to their own devices they'll just experiment on the whole wasteland randomly and inhumanely with no regard for morality until everyone is dead and then they'll do experiments to see if they can reanimate the corpses.

Absolutely nothin wrong with that at all.

Institutin all day err' day.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Digital_Jesus posted:

*in solemn voice* for science, father

*in equally solemn but much younger voice* for science, son

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah but the Think Tank was made up of the presumably most brilliant, most accomplished/educated persons in America at the time. The Institute is just a bunch of random dudes from the neighborhood who are supposed to be the smartest people in the world with specialized knowledge of every branch of science.

Yet they can't even make a good laser rifle.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yeah it worked out great for the Mojave, between the cazadores, nightstalkers, those ghost people and the loving mobile coffin suits. :stonklol:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So each faction gets some sort of special power later on. IE: Vertbirds, cannons, etc, etc. What does the Institute and Railroad get?

Edit: Also I think the Minutemen are really bugged in my game. I haven't seen a single spawn of them since the start of the game and after I took the Castle. This is on top of the transmitter still being bugged.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Does anyone else have the bug where placing stuff in your settlement (random items, etc) on tables works initially, but then when you come back they literally clip through the table or slide through it like it isn't there?

It's annoying as poo poo. I made a cool looking bar in my settlement and fast traveled back thirty minutes later to find that the bottles were clipping through the floor

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

wait, another one? someone spoil me. is there a loving alien city or some dumb poo poo in fo4?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I did the Institute quest with X6-88 to clear out Libertalia and had a similar experience. We were killing raiders like woah, and then out of nowhere not one but TWO BoS vertibirds show up and start WRECKING EVERYTHING with the minigun on those things. I'm pushing across the pontoons under fire, the vertibird miniguns spraying doom on anything that isn't me, and then right as I get to the ultimate objective they drop in three Knights in power armor and we proceed to wreck face.

The vertibirds are the best.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Operant posted:

Does anyone else have the bug where placing stuff in your settlement (random items, etc) on tables works initially, but then when you come back they literally clip through the table or slide through it like it isn't there?

It's annoying as poo poo. I made a cool looking bar in my settlement and fast traveled back thirty minutes later to find that the bottles were clipping through the floor

Gamebryo. Gamebryo never changes :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
So i made a bunch of industrial water purifiers, how do i make money from these?

• Locked thread