Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Dauo on street fight but only to talk about his music career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

That's just depressing.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

if aimee therese really wants to go full contrarian she should go all in on defending daou

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You can also post your build there and have all the nerds argue about what parts are the best. Atleast that is what I did when I first built my computer. :shrug:

Yeah I typically come up with a build and then post it in the build thread before ordering just to get some eyes on it and make sure I didn't miss anything.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Clipperton posted:

i don't think anyone's plan for revolution relies on support from peter daou

otoh he has actual wartime experience which could come in handy

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Nobody except terminally online people knows who TF Peter is

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Felix spent 5k in a gaming PC.

Explains why he believes the deficit doesn’t matter.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Hell yeah Amber ep about WeWork

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/CHAPOTRAPHOUSE/status/1199269588023812098

:allears:

French Amber: "I want my three-hour lunch and I'm going to get drunk and I may not come back."
:france:

The "snappy answers to stupid questions" segment at the end is much better than I had expected. Good mix of funny and serious answers. Virgil is exceptionally powerful.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 26, 2019

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is everybody’s TL inundated with people freaking out about some guy who doesn’t like Indian food?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

mot sure a crowd of momentum types watching the british left getting destroyed for a generation are going to be in the mood for christman’s “oi guvnor, chavs’n’tescos” routine

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is the polling that bad? Or is it because the Lib Dems would not rule out a coalition with the Tories again

Serf
May 5, 2011

keep in mind that polls are fake

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Clipperton posted:

mot sure a crowd of momentum types watching the british left getting destroyed for a generation are going to be in the mood for christman’s “oi guvnor, chavs’n’tescos” routine

Labour are going to win nerd

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

Is everybody’s TL inundated with people freaking out about some guy who doesn’t like Indian food?

Yeah like two days ago. We’ve all moved on to Papa John doing an Elizabeth Holmes voice.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is the polling that bad? Or is it because the Lib Dems would not rule out a coalition with the Tories again

Apparently the big polling companies are owned by Tories and publish polls that say whatever they want.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

prefect posted:

Apparently the big polling companies are owned by Tories and publish polls that say whatever they want.

They're also skewed to assume demographics that are unlikely to be accurate. Kinda like how polls in America will have 1/3 reporting with masters degrees so that Buttigieg has a surge.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

lol imagine posting in this thread and pretending you don't know who Tom Nichols is.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
no love for the triangle :smith:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
whoops read that as an election night show, it’s actually the day before. so they can collect their merch money and fly out like lyle lanley before the poo poo goes down, well played mr chapo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

I mean, Tom is a racist sack of poo poo but yea one of the big accounts who got faux-wounded by him was some american born Indian lady who charges two grand for dinners where she calls white ladies racist (good grift) and is married to some finance ghoul living a massively wealthy and powerful lifestyle (bad grift)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It does seem like the British media smears of Corbyn have succeeded in making him way more unpopular at large in the UK, because the powers that be would prefer a Hard Brexit to anything else

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FlamingLiberal posted:

It does seem like the British media smears of Corbyn have succeeded in making him way more unpopular at large in the UK, because the powers that be would prefer a Hard Brexit to anything else

It's not necessarily Brexit-based. If Corbyn wins, he's promising to nationalize some things and raise taxes on corporations and rich people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who is Tom Nichols and why should I care

It reminds me of that CommunismKills girl talking about how her parents still make her try new foods and get haircuts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Halloween Jack posted:

Who is Tom Nichols and why should I care

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He’s a conservative radio host who loves to trigger the libs so this whole thing just fed his whole complex. He did have a hilarious follow up saying people only pretend to like ethnic cuisine because apparently expanding your palate is virtue signaling.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Palak paneer lives in liberals heads rent-free!

Anyway, about the episode: have we reached a point where people have faith in a business model because it sounds too good to be true? I feel like people are so inundated with this TED Talk bullshit, and stories about wunderkinds becoming billionaires with some deceptively simple insight, that they've actually ingrained this VC logic where every venture is a lottery ticket. It ties back into the Deadspin interview about how nobody with real wealth wants to "just" run a profitable business.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

prefect posted:

It's not necessarily Brexit-based. If Corbyn wins, he's promising to nationalize some things and raise taxes on corporations and rich people.
Yes but if they get a hard Brexit they can get away with doing stuff in the UK that they never could have dreamed of before as far as privatization

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Palak paneer lives in liberals heads rent-free!

Anyway, about the episode: have we reached a point where people have faith in a business model because it sounds too good to be true? I feel like people are so inundated with this TED Talk bullshit, and stories about wunderkinds becoming billionaires with some deceptively simple insight, that they've actually ingrained this VC logic where every venture is a lottery ticket. It ties back into the Deadspin interview about how nobody with real wealth wants to "just" run a profitable business.

The bigger issue is Softbank has so much money they can dump it into absolute bullshit and not bat an eye. I haven't listened to the episode so not sure if they mention it but the guy running Softbank has the record for losing the most personal wealth (about 70 billion).

They were right on the money in the Deadspin episode that all this VC bullshit is because of an error in the tax code.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 26, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it’s technically illegal for corporations to not chase that hockey stick curve under capitalism. like we all made fun of buttcoiners up uP UP!! nonsense, but every major firm is trying to either get a monopoly or cash out with a VC funded javascript doodad tech company that gets exponential growth.

it’s literally all gambling to them. it isn’t enough that everyone’s retirement accounts have been forced to prop up the stock market, that’s boring dogshit. it’s not enough that the majority of people don’t have $400 in the bank. it’s entirely unacceptable to treat these weirdos as anything less than gods amongst men.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. It seems like a hosed-up cultural outgrowth of a hosed-up economic base. Profits on actual production are declining, like Marx predicted, so firms are genuinely staking their future on the idea of getting in on some dystopian monopoly.

I'm glad they brought up the data/advertising thing. I don't understand how advertising can be so valuable when we're in an ongoing crisis where people can't buy anything but a few cheap trinkets here and there.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes but if they get a hard Brexit they can get away with doing stuff in the UK that they never could have dreamed of before as far as privatization

There's a ton of privatisation that would be possible within the EU, just look at how much state control the UK has over health compared to basically every other member state. The EU isn't what's blocking it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1199377945044934656

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

prefect posted:

The polls aren't that reliable, but that's because British polling is generally poor, not because of some massive conspiracy between the Tories, the pollsters and the British Polling Council.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

It's both

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Good to have Amber back. Such a good topic. I was surprised there wasn’t much discussion of his ridiculous parachute, or the precariousness of being axed because “the CEO’s wife didn’t like your aura.”

Also hahahha gently caress you Barack

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/jilltwiss/status/1199395206413651974?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bryter posted:

The polls aren't that reliable, but that's because British polling is generally poor, not because of some massive conspiracy between the Tories, the pollsters and the British Polling Council.

It's also FPTP. If labour and Brexit party run in the same seats, more parties jumping in like libdems is good for their chances of swinging one out with a plurality of 30%. Meanwhile, tory seats aren't being challenged by the Brexit party, giving them lots of gimmies.

If the tories win the national vote by like 5% it could mean a huge swing toward them in number of seats, possibly 400+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
John Le car