Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

haljordan posted:

So which former staffer is the source for this?

The Stern subreddit, which is where that site gets most of their Howard theories.

This one, however, is painfully obvious to anyone who's been a fan for awhile and knows old bits by heart. I'm a huge fan of people pirating Stern specifically for this reason. He's not interested in preserving the most groundbreaking radio show in history so the fans will have to step up and carry that banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
A lot of the old bits are bad though and a lot of the Arite years are not fun to listen to anymore. Who gives a gently caress anyway with youtube having it all now.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

BobbyK posted:

A lot of the old bits are bad though and a lot of the Arite years are not fun to listen to anymore. Who gives a gently caress anyway with youtube having it all now.

You really think sending Gary the Retard to the moon needs to be scrubbed?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Err poo poo, how could I not quote the best part of the article:

quote:

Aside from banning longtime guests Gilbert Gottfried, Lisa Lampanelli and Craig Gass, Turk was behind tweaking the names of Stern show regulars Gary The Retard to Gary the Conquerer, and convincing Stern to no longer use a lisp for segments in The Homo Room.

That's definitely the only problem with a segment called The Homo Room.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

BobbyK posted:

Stern without the edge just isnt Stern. Bad bits and all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the homo room was always terrible.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If I never heard those Marge Schott impressions again I'd be happy. Them bullshitting together in the studio is infinitely more entertaining than any of their bits. King of anal ring toss? Puh-lease

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

BobbyK posted:

If I never heard those Marge Schott impressions again I'd be happy. Them bullshitting together in the studio is infinitely more entertaining than any of their bits. King of anal ring toss? Puh-lease

So again I'll ask, should they be scrubbing all of Gary or Wendy's stuff? What about the decade with ETM? Midget is not a PC term at all, should they be removing that as well?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gay stuff was always pretty awful. I'm going thru 2006 now, and the "remakes" of bits like Backside Boys and bits about Brokeback Mountain are absolutely painful.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crotch Bat posted:

So again I'll ask, should they be scrubbing all of Gary or Wendy's stuff? What about the decade with ETM? Midget is not a PC term at all, should they be removing that as well?

Yeah ac..tually midget is worse than the...n word

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe Hank said midget is equivalent to friend of the family for little people.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

They started editing out references to Howard's ex-wife during Best Of shows back when he got divorced. They've been white washing things for a long long time.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Former Human posted:

They started editing out references to Howard's ex-wife during Best Of shows back when he got divorced. They've been white washing things for a long long time.

They've never out and out edited anything else though, that's not a basis for the future it was a one-off done for a super obvious reason.

This isn't about old bits that don't hold up like Homo Room, this is about where do you draw the line? Do you go back through all of Gary the Retard's appearances and scrub that word each time? Midget is an offensive term to little people, do we scrub 10+ years of ETM? What about Sal's racially charged prank calls? What about Jackie doing "Give Rodney a chance!" in that Amos & Andy voice? Black Jeopardy? Wood Yi?

Hooray, can't wait for Stern to retire and Sirius to unleash all of Howard's career to the masses (content will be exclusively celebrity interviews from 2012-on).

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 24, 2017

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

kylej posted:

I believe Hank said midget is equivalent to friend of the family for little people.

Hello Stern,

This is Eric again. I wanted to write you because I’m tired of being the butt of your jokes.

First off, I’m sick of you calling me a midget. I’m not a midget, or a dorwf (sic). I’m a little person, and ONLY a little person. Whenever you or your staff refers to me as a midget, that’s the same as African-Americans hating the N word. To me the use of those words show a lack of drat respect to people like me...

...Last Thursday when I first talked to Stephanie McMahon it pissed me off when you asked me if I fantasized about her, and then you cut me off by hanging up on me. What is it that every person that you have on your show, when they wanna talk they have to talk about sex? Who the hell do you think you are? Dr. Ruth?

To me, I had no problems with you when you were giving me the total $1,500 that you gave me, but why did you have to make me look an rear end on your show to get that money? Giving me that money was the only nice thing you did when I called.

YOU ARE A BRAINLESS JACKASS.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

kylej posted:

Gay stuff was always pretty awful. I'm going thru 2006 now, and the "remakes" of bits like Backside Boys and bits about Brokeback Mountain are absolutely painful.

You seem to be forgetting awesome segments like Homo Cop

"Ooo-gahhhh"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ETA and Shatner in the homo room were great, everything else really sucked.

And Fartman will never be funny. Mike Walker's fart, on the other hand...

Banditoh
Aug 13, 2005
Sals so racist. I don't know why it's so funny, he's just unreal. That first bit is just...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_6PIJNvSE

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I love Sal because of that poo poo. Not because he's racist but because he thinks he's just smart enough to bullshit people into thinking he's not and just making a goof. He can't figure out that everyone sees through him.

Idiocy is lovable. If Sal was any smarter he'd be reviled and probably not employed anymore. You can get away with a lot of stuff if you're dumb.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

If only Obama had pardoned OJ on his final day in office.

"I pardons OJs"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Former Human posted:

Was that included as part of the divorce settlement? I sure as hell would insist on it if I was Allison.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

If only Obama had pardoned OJ on his final day in office.

"I pardons OJs"

Looky looky here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sql5eEgiy20

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

haljordan posted:

Was that included as part of the divorce settlement? I sure as hell would insist on it if I was Allison.

It's always been a popular (and logical) theory that it was either part of the divorce or something Howard chose to do.

I've heard more and more Alison stuff lately and that was one unhappy relationship by the end, it's no surprise he wanted that stuff off the pages of history. They had two completely different ideas on marriage, both with their own faults, and that thing just crumbled. Howard was so gung-ho about the show/books/movie during the 90s that she took a backseat to it all. The other half of that was that she didn't cook, she had a staff (multiple people!) to help with the kids and house, and that woman acted exactly like Nancy every time she was on the air talking about how hard she worked and how long her day was, it was amazing to hear someone so pampered act like she dug ditches for a living.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

ETA and Shatner in the homo room were great, everything else really sucked.

And Fartman will never be funny. Mike Walker's fart, on the other hand...

Hey, someone at least partially agrees with me about the Homo Room!

The Homo Room wasn't a gay-bashing bit, what made it funny was that it elicited homophobia from the guest. It's a very meta joke.
All of the best HR bits were when the guest didn't want to "go down there", like Shatner and ETM. Actually, I think Shatner played along on one of his later appearances, and that was pretty funny, too. Out Of the Closet Stern had some laughs because it was one of Stern's alter-egos, like when he would channel Elvis.

But, yeah, the rest of them haven't aged as well, Homo Cop being the worst by far. There was NO reason to remake that one.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm 95% sure that Sal wrote and submitted friend of the family Claus in his pre-show days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df5kkZmvhvk

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

If Stern was cheating on Allison during the filming of Private Parts, he's a total nimrod. Why wouldn't he just go buy his own condoms and not have the studio buy them?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

haljordan posted:

If Stern was cheating on Allison during the filming of Private Parts, he's a total nimrod. Why wouldn't he just go buy his own condoms and not have the studio buy them?

Doesn't he make his assistant buy his condoms?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

Howard was so gung-ho about the show/books/movie during the 90s that she took a backseat to it all.

I think the reason he was so gung-ho was that he wanted to get out of the house. I think the real reason they got divorced was because Howard wanted to be a celebrity and not a family man (he ended up in another relationship not long after the divorce, so it clearly wasn't just a "I want to sleep around" thing). As Howard became more famous, he wanted to be treated more and more like a celebrity and he wasn't getting that from his wife, who still thought of him as the schlub she met in college.

Edit - I'm of two minds on the Ralph/condoms clip. On the one hand - Ralph's excuse for it being a joke makes no sense and it feels like he is taking the rap for his boss. On the other hand - who puts condoms on a list like that? Can't someone buy them for Howard if he is sleeping around?

DeadBonesBrook fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 24, 2017

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nancy basically divorcing Jackie the day he quit the show is still hilarious. I bet she cleaned him out in court.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Dr. Sarno has died. - https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/...tion/obituaries

Death is just a result of anxiety. He's just not ignoring it hard enough.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Dr. Sarno has died. - https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/...tion/obituaries

Death is just a result of anxiety. He's just not ignoring it hard enough.

:golfclap:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

John E. Sarno, a doctor at New York University whose controversial books on the psychological origins of chronic pain sold over a million copies, even while he was largely ignored or maligned by many of his medical peers, died Thursday in Danbury, Conn. He was 93.

lmfao this is the guy Stern chose to idolize

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

haljordan posted:

WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS ALREADY

Also it's gonna be poo poo if they edit all the old bits

If? They already do that. Turn on 101 any time to hear only new bits or heavily edited old bits (not to mention the ones they'll never play again).

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fuuuck.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

haljordan posted:

Nancy basically divorcing Jackie the day he quit the show is still hilarious. I bet she cleaned him out in court.

Jackie once said he lost 75% of his money right after he left the show, because Nancy took half in the divorce and then Jackie had so much in tech stocks and the bubble burst so he lost half of what he had left. Great timing, Jackie!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Former Human posted:

Jackie once said he lost 75% of his money right after he left the show, because Nancy took half in the divorce and then Jackie had so much in tech stocks and the bubble burst so he lost half of what he had left. Great timing, Jackie!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I know he tried to go back and take the last contract offer a couple weeks after turning it down (the offer was off the table), but didn't he also approach Howard a couple of months after the split and ask if he could come back?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I think the reason he was so gung-ho was that he wanted to get out of the house. I think the real reason they got divorced was because Howard wanted to be a celebrity and not a family man (he ended up in another relationship not long after the divorce, so it clearly wasn't just a "I want to sleep around" thing). As Howard became more famous, he wanted to be treated more and more like a celebrity and he wasn't getting that from his wife, who still thought of him as the schlub she met in college.

Edit - I'm of two minds on the Ralph/condoms clip. On the one hand - Ralph's excuse for it being a joke makes no sense and it feels like he is taking the rap for his boss. On the other hand - who puts condoms on a list like that? Can't someone buy them for Howard if he is sleeping around?

Having listened to that clip last night, the saving grace for Howard was not only did Ralph leave the list with Howard's assistant Laura where his wife just happened to walk in and see it (so it wasn't secretly in Howard's bags or anything) but the list contained no hygiene products Howard used ever, which was basically why Alison let this incident go.

Howard did a lot of murky stuff to Alison, let's be clear. He kissed, groped, and got dry humped by women on his show and women at strip clubs. Did he have an affair though? I tend to think not only because we never heard about it ever. Nobody's ever stepped forward to say otherwise and while maybe there's a chance he bought the silence there's no way some random bimbo would have been able to keep her mouth shut about it to her friends who would in turn blab it and someone would have picked up the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I know he tried to go back and take the last contract offer a couple weeks after turning it down (the offer was off the table), but didn't he also approach Howard a couple of months after the split and ask if he could come back?

Yeah. He gave some interview where he tried to make it seem like Howard fired him and bitched about how "they wouldn't take him back" when he was the idiot who walked away from a seven figure salary. In radio. What do you think your local morning zoo crew makes these days?

edit: And don't forget all the cash from the stand up gigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSNXV-Lddt0

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 25, 2017