Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Hey I'm making Nashville Hot Chicken tomorrow for a friend's potluck and I realized if I serve it the way I normally do it's going to be...poorly received.

Is there a spice with cayenne's general taste, just less...hot? I could just ease up on it a bit, to, but I'm weighing my options.

(And yeah it's not hot chicken if it's not hot but I want people to eat it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I stopped kneading way too soon/didn't give it enough vigour to give it the right consistency before the first rise, I've definitely got all the gotchas in mind for tomorrow now that I've done it once

If it goes well I'm hoping I can do something a little fancier bread-wise for Thanksgiving as a transport vehicle for the family cranberry jam

Challah is my favorite Thanksgiving bread.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ciaphas posted:

I posted the results off in ye bread thread but I'll repost here

Gonna try some more tomorrow with some suggestions on cooking and cooling time from said thread

crust looks fine, could probably have stood some more time in the oven even

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hey, are there any recipes that you would recommend for a complete food beginner? I started making roasted broccoli and Im planning to try making some pot stickers.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
in case you don't understand how bad I am: I burned my brocco.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tired Moritz posted:

A little bit burned is OK.

What kind of food do you like to eat?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I don't particularly like sweet stuff, and I'm trying to gain weight so I've been trying to get more carbs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

Well, broccoli burns pretty easily so that does not surprise me. It might be easier to just go with steaming until you get better. For roasted vegetables I would look at potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables, those hold up to roasting really well and are hard to overcook. One general tip I'd give you is to trust your nose, when something smells done that often means that it is done, so take your vegetables out of the oven and try sticking a fork in one of the larger pieces, if it goes in easily then they are done. For seasoning you can do a lot of things but just some salt and olive oil will work great and are easy and simple. For temperature and time try 350F and 30-45 minutes, if they are not done when you first check toss them back in for 10 minutes, even if they overcook a bit they will be fine because like I said, root vegetables are really hard to truly overcook.

Another simple recipe is roasted chicken thighs, get them with the bone in and the skin on, season with a bit of olive oil to lube them up, some salt, pepper, dried sage & thyme. Just roast them, skin side up at 350F for 45 minutes or so, once again, trust your nose, if they smell done then take a look, if the skin is crispy and browned then take them out and check the temperature, if they are around 165F-170F they are done. Chicken thighs hold up really well to overcooking and are pretty hard to screw up. As you get comfortable cooking them you can try different seasonings and experiment, and from that you will gain the experience and knowledge needed to take on more advanced cooking.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't particularly like sweet stuff, and I'm trying to gain weight so I've been trying to get more carbs.

One thing I would suggest is to eat a diet high in fats, which are more calorically dense than either carbs or protein. You can eat lots of fat and still eat healthily, and you'll also enjoy the flavor benefits.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Where's that good spaghetti carbonara recipe? That's a good one to start with and is cheap / fast so you can screw it up and remake it a few times.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

Hey I'm making Nashville Hot Chicken tomorrow for a friend's potluck and I realized if I serve it the way I normally do it's going to be...poorly received.

Is there a spice with cayenne's general taste, just less...hot? I could just ease up on it a bit, to, but I'm weighing my options.

(And yeah it's not hot chicken if it's not hot but I want people to eat it)

Hot paprika or maybe korean pepper flake?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Hey, are there any recipes that you would recommend for a complete food beginner? I started making roasted broccoli and Im planning to try making some pot stickers.

If you're really a total beginner and not just being modest, potstickers might be a little tricky. They require basic skills, but a lot of them - knife work for the filling, crimping the wrapper, steaming, and frying. They're probably great practice for all those skills, just go into it knowing that you might end up with a plate of filling with scraps of wrapper in it. Not a disaster, just maybe not what you expected.

Stews/chilis are a good confidence-builder, and this is the season for them (in the northern hemisphere anyway). They're pretty simple and hard to ruin, compared to something like frying. You get to practice your knife skills at your leisure and then practice controlling your stove's temperature on something more forgiving than a fried egg. Plus there are enough varieties at different skill levels that you'll never get bored.

One thing I wish I had thought of or been told about when I started cooking is mise en place, having all the ingredients prepared before you even light a burner. Just do all the prep and keep the ingredients in little bowls. It's much easier to have everything right there already than have to google "HOW DO I JULIENNE ZUCCHINI" while the pork is already starting to catch fire.

That Works posted:

A little bit burned is OK.

What kind of food do you like to eat?

Also this, is there any particular cuisine you have in mind?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Hot paprika or maybe korean pepper flake?

Agreed. Look for a tin of this:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

hogmartin posted:

If you're really a total beginner and not just being modest, potstickers might be a little tricky. They require basic skills, but a lot of them - knife work for the filling, crimping the wrapper, steaming, and frying. They're probably great practice for all those skills, just go into it knowing that you might end up with a plate of filling with scraps of wrapper in it. Not a disaster, just maybe not what you expected.

Stews/chilis are a good confidence-builder, and this is the season for them (in the northern hemisphere anyway). They're pretty simple and hard to ruin, compared to something like frying. You get to practice your knife skills at your leisure and then practice controlling your stove's temperature on something more forgiving than a fried egg. Plus there are enough varieties at different skill levels that you'll never get bored.

One thing I wish I had thought of or been told about when I started cooking is mise en place, having all the ingredients prepared before you even light a burner. Just do all the prep and keep the ingredients in little bowls. It's much easier to have everything right there already than have to google "HOW DO I JULIENNE ZUCCHINI" while the pork is already starting to catch fire.

Also this, is there any particular cuisine you have in mind?

luckily I have a friend that can help me with the cutting and knifework so it would be easier for me, I mean it's just filling wrappers with mixed meat and veggies, right?

If you have any recipes for cheap and easy stews, that would be great. However, beef and pork are fairly expensive so that could be annoying. I'm also thinking of learning how to make fried rice becuase I sometimes get rice cravings at ngiht and it would be a good way to use up leftovers rice in the morning.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Another simple recipe is roasted chicken thighs, get them with the bone in and the skin on, season with a bit of olive oil to lube them up, some salt, pepper, dried sage & thyme. Just roast them, skin side up at 350F for 45 minutes or so, once again, trust your nose, if they smell done then take a look, if the skin is crispy and browned then take them out and check the temperature, if they are around 165F-170F they are done. Chicken thighs hold up really well to overcooking and are pretty hard to screw up. As you get comfortable cooking them you can try different seasonings and experiment, and from that you will gain the experience and knowledge needed to take on more advanced cooking.

It was kinda burned in a gross way, I think I had to throw half of them off because they were all black. I'm actually wanted to roast some meat earlier but I was worried that it might come off as flavor less.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

That Works posted:

Where's that good spaghetti carbonara recipe? That's a good one to start with and is cheap / fast so you can screw it up and remake it a few times.

one true:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara

also good:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/12/pasta-carbonara-sauce-recipe.html

i generally stick to #1 but add more yolks per the SE recipe. se recipe doesn't have garlic for some reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Food Lab might be a good cookbook choice for a beginner. It's very sciency but starting from there would keep you from internalizing any old wives tale poo poo.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

does anyone have recommendations for recipe books with quick weeknight meals? ideally with a bunch of varied dishes - we like indian, italian, vietnamese, japanese, mexican, pretty much whatever. the only thing is i like a lot of photos in cookbooks!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

luckily I have a friend that can help me with the cutting and knifework so it would be easier for me, I mean it's just filling wrappers with mixed meat and veggies, right?

If you have any recipes for cheap and easy stews, that would be great. However, beef and pork are fairly expensive so that could be annoying. I'm also thinking of learning how to make fried rice becuase I sometimes get rice cravings at ngiht and it would be a good way to use up leftovers rice in the morning.

It was kinda burned in a gross way, I think I had to throw half of them off because they were all black. I'm actually wanted to roast some meat earlier but I was worried that it might come off as flavor less.

What was burned? Are you talking about the broccoli or did you try to make chicken thighs and burn them? If it's the broccoli then I'm not surprised that it went black, broccoli goes from nicely browned to burnt very quickly so it can be hard to find the sweet spot for it. If it's the chicken thighs I'm not sure what to say, my oven is fairly accurate and they always come out great for me after cooking for 45 minutes at 350F. But that leads me back to the bit about trusting your nose, you should be able to smell something burning well before it gets to the point where it's too burnt to be edible, it's a very distinctive smell. As long as you salt the meat well enough it won't be flavorless, salt enhances other flavors. The other thing is that browning meat gives it a lot of its flavor, the whole golden brown thing isn't just because it looks nice. Oh, and I found another fairly simple recipe that is very tasty and has a youtube video: https://youtu.be/5EKw4k8hkHA

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What was burned? Are you talking about the broccoli or did you try to make chicken thighs and burn them? If it's the broccoli then I'm not surprised that it went black, broccoli goes from nicely browned to burnt very quickly so it can be hard to find the sweet spot for it. If it's the chicken thighs I'm not sure what to say, my oven is fairly accurate and they always come out great for me after cooking for 45 minutes at 350F. But that leads me back to the bit about trusting your nose, you should be able to smell something burning well before it gets to the point where it's too burnt to be edible, it's a very distinctive smell. As long as you salt the meat well enough it won't be flavorless, salt enhances other flavors. The other thing is that browning meat gives it a lot of its flavor, the whole golden brown thing isn't just because it looks nice. Oh, and I found another fairly simple recipe that is very tasty and has a youtube video: https://youtu.be/5EKw4k8hkHA

Oh no. The broccoli got burned and it made me sad. I had some chicken wings with me but I didn't want to accidentally burn them. Also they were kinda unseasoned and unseasoned roasted chicken wings sounded gross at the time.

If I were to roast some chicken, what would be a simple marinade?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, it's just that filled dumplings are more work than they seem, and it's really easy to have them come apart. I usually only do that kind of thing on a weekend with my neighbor so she can fill her freezer for herself and her kids and I get to keep a few bags. They're a lot easier when you have people working on each step.

Tired Moritz posted:

If you have any recipes for cheap and easy stews, that would be great. However, beef and pork are fairly expensive so that could be annoying.

I like this one, but ugh, no sweet potato. Also, if you're in an area with Indian groceries, lentils are probably cheaper there than at the supermarket.
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/lentil-stew-mustard-greens-sausage

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh no. The broccoli got burned and it made me sad. I had some chicken wings with me but I didn't want to accidentally burn them. Also they were kinda unseasoned and unseasoned roasted chicken wings sounded gross at the time.

If I were to roast some chicken, what would be a simple marinade?

For wings try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3LhqcBThg

I've made them before and they come out pretty well for oven wings.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Pumpkin update: Wife wanted to carve jack o'lanterns a week after Halloween so gently caress it, but I have a recipe for sikil pak which call for hulled pumpkin seeds (so just the inner kernel). What's the best way to get the shells off? My gut says to toast them so they dry out but I'm worried about losing some of the flavor. The recipe also calls for me to roast the kernels themselves so they might dry out if I do it twice.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I really enjoy Alton Brown's catfish soup recipe but lemongrass is hard to find in my current locale (also I'm not sure I agree with the texture of even thinly sliced rings of it).

Internet seems to think there is no substitute for lemongrass.

Would julienned kaffir lime leaves and maybe some lemon zest work?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I need to make some "sugar cubes" out of miso, and I have no idea how to do it. Can anyone help?

The background is that a couple of us are putting together a slightly nebulously "whimsical" meal for a friend, and I've been given soup, for which I am doing burnt onion consommé "tea", garlic infused milk, and I thought miso "sugar cubes" would work nicely... Any alternative suggestions welcome.

Edit: good quotation marks are just the loving worst thing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you mixed it with enough dashi to turn it into a liquid and then used a shitload of gelatin it might be firm enough to cut into cubes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Would they disintegrate into the soup? Maybe I could dust them with salt to give them the right appearance...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd think so if it's hot. The miso's already salty so adding salt wouldn't be a good idea.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Could you maybe mix some white miso, maple syrup, and probably some water and freeze it into cubes? Into a real hot soup it would probably just dissolve and bring it down to eatin temp. Miso and maple is awesome and maybe could work with heavily cooked onions and garlic? I don't know this is crazier poo poo than my simple rear end gets up to, it's just that you say miso and sugarcubes and I immediately think white miso and maple because that's an awesome sweet miso combo (roast some roots with a glaze of that and some oil).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
So today I made pan-cooked Broccoli, mixed with soysauce, salt, and white pepper, chicken marinated with soysauce, salt and white pepper, and rice cooked with chicken stock.

It was kinda too sweet for my taste, but it was trying. :(
Also I had problems figuring out if my chicken was cooked enough, I might have overcooked one of them because when I poke them with a fork, it was kinda rubbery? idk

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

So today I made pan-cooked Broccoli, mixed with soysauce, salt, and white pepper, chicken marinated with soysauce, salt and white pepper, and rice cooked with chicken stock.

Also I had problems figuring out if my chicken was cooked enough, I might have overcooked one of them because when I poke them with a fork, it was kinda rubbery? idk

When starting out, the only good option is a proper meat thermometer.

All of the little shortcuts about texture and appearance only matter if YOU yourself know what certain temps look like.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

When starting out, the only good option is a proper meat thermometer.

All of the little shortcuts about texture and appearance only matter if YOU yourself know what certain temps look like.

This, and also get an oven thermometer. The dial kind that you just stick there on the rack. Ovens are really bad at reporting their real temperature, "350" could be 300. A $4 dial thermometer is the best oven upgrade ever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FaradayCage posted:

I really enjoy Alton Brown's catfish soup recipe but lemongrass is hard to find in my current locale (also I'm not sure I agree with the texture of even thinly sliced rings of it).

Internet seems to think there is no substitute for lemongrass.

Would julienned kaffir lime leaves and maybe some lemon zest work?

is there any way for you to buy in bulk? it freezes well. i dont think there's any substitute so i just stock up when i go to the asian market

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Alright I'm gonna make that hot chicken today. I've never fried something in a skillet before so hopefully I don't use too much oil and start a raging grease fire.

Edit: bought the wrong hot sauce but i'll just wing it i guess, i can't imagine chipotle tabasco is too terribly different than normal tabasco, just hotter

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 6, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

King Louie posted:

does anyone have recommendations for recipe books with quick weeknight meals? ideally with a bunch of varied dishes - we like indian, italian, vietnamese, japanese, mexican, pretty much whatever. the only thing is i like a lot of photos in cookbooks!

Go to your local library and peruse their back issues of cooking magazines. Cooking for Two, Taste of Home, Bon Appetit, Food and Wine... Most every issue should have a section for quick weeknight meals. Also, they typically will run the gamut of ethnic styles. If you are lucky enough that your library has Cooks Country, and someone hasn't taken them out, every issue of that comes with at least 4 recipe cards for 30-minute meals, right in the middle. They are tear out by design, so chances are that they will be gone, but they still have a pretty good selection across a wide variety of styles.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tired Moritz posted:

Why was it sweet? None of those ingredients are sweet.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
soysauce isn't sweet?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tired Moritz posted:

soysauce isn't sweet?

o.o

Not usually.... It's one of the standby 'salty and round umami flavors' you put on food. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_sauce Did you use Teriyaki, Ponzu, or Plum Sauce by accident?

Run us through how you made it, and double check your bottles. What you described making should have been quite salty. Also, what's your general geographic location? Maybe we can suggest local ingredients and dishes that would be cheap and easy for you to find.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Suspect Bucket posted:

Did you use Teriyaki, Ponzu, or Plum Sauce by accident?

Or possibly balsamic vinegar? I tend to toss my veggies for baking with some sometimes as it sweetens them slightly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Also, roasted skin-on chicken is quite good without marinade, or much in the way of seasoning. Heck, when whole chickens are cheap, roasting a whole one can give you a few meals worth of protein. And when turkeys go on sale, you can really feast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

is there any way for you to buy in bulk? it freezes well. i dont think there's any substitute so i just stock up when i go to the asian market

My "local" asian markets are weird and one time they had it and another time they didn't. And Jewel rarely sells catfish nuggets but they are right now.

Ah well. I'll experiment and see what happens.