Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like the bit where Big mom is just chasing Luffy with a board with a nail in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Caidin posted:

I like the bit where Big mom is just chasing Luffy with a board with a nail in it.

Yeah, her grabbing a random giant plank of wood with giant nails in it and start swinging it around basically on instinct (given that she probably would've done more damage with her bare fists) was great. Really shows how she and Kaidou could bond and make friends in the past, despite being so different in some other ways.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I laughed so, so loving hard at Luffy and Gramps being planted into the wall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Yeah, her grabbing a random giant plank of wood with giant nails in it and start swinging it around basically on instinct (given that she probably would've done more damage with her bare fists) was great. Really shows how she and Kaidou could bond and make friends in the past, despite being so different in some other ways.

She's the same with her sword, swinging it around like a baseball bat. Big Mom isn't dumb but she doesn't fight with any finesse or refinement because she's never needed to.

Jesus H.G. Wells, imagine what the gently caress a pirate crew with Big Mom and Kaido would have been like, and they were subordinates.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She's the same with her sword, swinging it around like a baseball bat. Big Mom isn't dumb but she doesn't fight with any finesse or refinement because she's never needed to.

Jesus H.G. Wells, imagine what the gently caress a pirate crew with Big Mom and Kaido would have been like, and they were subordinates.

Yeah who the gently caress was their captain? Imu??

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Divebombing Brachiosaurus is going to be the name of my death metal cover band.

Coincidentally, I look forward to Toei completely loving up this sequence once it gets animated. :negative:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was said a while ago that the Wano arc is using structure and framing that's a reference to a traditional style of kabuki theatre structure, can anyone go into more detail on that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Coincidentally, I look forward to Toei completely loving up this sequence once it gets animated. :negative:

They’ve apparently got a new director onboard for the Wano arc so maybe it won’t be that bad from an animation standpoint at least (there’s probably no fixing the pacing at this point though).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AradoBalanga posted:

They've got a new director! It looks... potentially less awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmTeYj2FmRc

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
specifically it's a guy who worked on DBS Broly

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah who the gently caress was their captain? Imu??

Probably Roger?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
"oh yeah he just got free" "I've always been free" is the most Luffy exchange and I adore it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kild posted:

Probably Roger?

I was kind of under the impression they were from before Roger's time, for some reason. I remember Garp mentioned (or someone mentioned to Garp?) that he got famous in the marines due to what he did back then. Although, I suppose they probably wouldn't have been laying low during Roger's era, so maybe they were on his crew, who knows. I figure it woulda been mentioned by now, though.

The big pirate eras seem to go
Pre-Roger
Roger
Pirate resurgence (when Luffy is a kid)
Four Emperors (pre time-skip)
Worst Generation (post time skip)

Not sure where Big Mom and Kaido were crewmates in all this, is the thing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Linlin talks about how Roger stole a copy of her Ponegylph or whatever, so she still held a ton of power even during Roger's time.

Though the major players in Roger's era seem to have been Roger, Whitebeard, and Shiki.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Prediction; the Yonko during Roger's era were Roger, Whitebeard, Shiki and whoever the captain of Rocks was. It's been said that Whitebeard was Roger's biggest contender, but like, the Rocks Captain was presumably even more powerful than the likes of Kaido and Big Mom...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kild posted:

Probably Roger?
Probably "Rocks."

Roger's reign was 20-30 years ago. "Rocks" is from 40 years ago. Big Mom's last appearance without a captains hat is 40 years ago. Before Roger's reign.

Chapter 907, where it's mentioned Kaidou and Big Mom used to be on the same crew is also where "Rocks" is first mentioned. I assumed it was brought up because it was the crew they were on, but I suppose that's not explicitly said.

Incidentally Shakky was also a pirate during that era, and Garp got his reputation as a hero back then. Bit by bit the pre-Rodger legends have been hinted at.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brook is a living relic of the old, old era of piracy and he remembers hearing about a rookie pirate named Roger. And he's one of the few people who can call Big Mom 'young lady'.

I get the impression that Roger stole a lot of the spotlight by being the only one who conquered all the way to the end of the New World but there were still some terrifying players back then. The old Giant Pirates were a thing back then too, given Dorry and Broggy have been duelling for a century or so at this point.

We might be finding out about Rocks at some point, though Roger himself still has a lot of mysteries about him.

ed: According to casual research it's actually 'Rox', and he was the one Garp defeated all those years ago.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 29, 2019

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I imagine big mom and kaidou were nowhere near their current levels of power back when they served on a crew. I mean they’d still have been Yonkou top commanders levels in of strong.

Based on the sketches of how she looked when she was younger, she was probably on the crew in her late 20’s and a Captain of her own crew by her 40’s.

I’m guessing Rocks was on the way out as Rodger was on the way in, and after Rocks was taken down by Best Marine Rocks’ crew split and went their own ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I bet Rox was a proto-Emperor in his time. We haven't really seen Garp go all out yet, have we?

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
Chapter was subversive as heck.
I could've bought Luffy injuring Big Mom with his new deflect Haki penetrating her "iron" defense. I could've bought him not injuring her, but just deflecting the attack successfully. Nope, Luffy fails at using it and just gets smacked away along with Hyougoro, hahaha. Hyou then "dies" to give Luffy his last chance at for sure getting this new shounen power up, nope, just jumps away next panel. The Big Mom falling asleep thing seems random ... until you realize she said she was really hungry and really tired in chapter 940. This chapter really just solidifies that Luffy is screwed, because Oda's being far from generous in giving him his much-needed powerups to take on Kaido.

Infected posted:

So this new Armament trick, the way it is described it really reminds me of what Sabu did while masquerading as Lucy in the Dressrosa coliseum when he fought Burgess/destroyed the ring.

I'm gonna have to think they're the same thing now, this is a great observation. Sabo even said "everything has a core", implying he's trying to find and break the core of objects/people, which fits with how he wants to destroy the core of the World Government.

Oh, hopefully we can find out Kaido's debt to Big Mom pretty soon? May be saved for the Kaido flashback way later though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I bet Rox was a proto-Emperor in his time. We haven't really seen Garp go all out yet, have we?

No but its Sengoku and Kong I want to see go all out. Garp is just an incredibly strong man

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Demonicpoodle posted:

Oh, hopefully we can find out Kaido's debt to Big Mom pretty soon? May be saved for the Kaido flashback way later though.

Its gonna be back Child Support, isn't it?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Though the major players in Roger's era seem to have been Roger, Whitebeard, and Shiki.
Off-topic, but what's the deal with Shiki? From what I gather, the events of Strong World are not canon, but Shiki's existence and his escape from Impel Down are. So what's he been doing for these past twenty years in-canon? Just sitting on his rear end doing nothing?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Strong World is canon imo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My understanding is that while the general plot of Strong World is cannon, the precise details aren't. So Luffy and the gang kicked his floating rear end, when exactly, whether there were actually bird people and other such things are questionable. The beast repelling plants are cannon though, because Luffy left his hat on one for two years.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

I’ve always been FREE

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ah so thats how Sabos dragon claw works

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Off-topic, but what's the deal with Shiki? From what I gather, the events of Strong World are not canon, but Shiki's existence and his escape from Impel Down are. So what's he been doing for these past twenty years in-canon? Just sitting on his rear end doing nothing?

Killed by an Emperor or Admiral at some point, maybe?

A lot of shonen movie villains raise similar problems. There are statements from Toei about some of the DBZ movies happening in alternate timelines, which raises the question of what happened to the movie villains in the main timeline. We actually did eventually get a main-timeline movie about Broly; the rest I assume were killed by Beerus or something.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 29, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

notwithyourheart posted:

I’ve always been FREE

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Killed by an Emperor or Admiral at some point, maybe?

A lot of shonen movie villains raise similar problems. There are statements from Toei about some of the DBZ movies happening in alternate timelines, which raises the question of what happened to the movie villains in the main timeline. We actually did eventually get a main-timeline movie about Broly; the rest I assume were killed by Beerus or something.

It would be an extreme deviation from Beerus's character to do his job.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah a thing to note is that Big Mom and Kaido are older than Roger and considered him an upstart.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

They’ve apparently got a new director onboard for the Wano arc so maybe it won’t be that bad from an animation standpoint at least (there’s probably no fixing the pacing at this point though).

Blockhouse posted:

specifically it's a guy who worked on DBS Broly
Well, at the very least that gives me some hope that the action scenes will get some love and care. The rest...we'll see.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I dunno if this latest episode was under the new director, but it was pretty drat good. Besides the continuing flashbacks of the reverie arc breaking up the episode, which at least this time was pretty brief, everything was nice, even the still shots were at least drawn in a nice painting style. Music was on point, too.

I'd actually given up on the anime back when half the episodes were WEDDDDDDIIIIINNG CAKUUUUUUUU, glad I came back after that arc wrapped up.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah a thing to note is that Big Mom and Kaido are older than Roger and considered him an upstart.

I wonder how they feel about Shanks then. Whitebeard is also therefore younger than Big Mom and Kaido which is interesting too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

I wonder how they feel about Shanks then. Whitebeard is also therefore younger than Big Mom and Kaido which is interesting too.

Nah, Whitebeard was 72 at his time of death, I think making him 6 years older than Big Mom. We don't know how old Kaido is. Seems like they were all part of the same generation though. Kinda makes Shanks contrast as the youngest Emperor at 37/39.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, Whitebeard was 72 at his time of death, I think making him 6 years older than Big Mom. We don't know how old Kaido is. Seems like they were all part of the same generation though. Kinda makes Shanks contrast as the youngest Emperor at 37/39.

Ah, I thought he was 50/60.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah, I thought he was 50/60.

Would be a bit weird given he was explicitly on death's door and One Piece doesn't really do the anime thing of everyone over 20 and under 60 being completely irrelevant. 72 seems about right for a guy who's lived all his life in a dangerous and unhealthy lifestyle and has a long history of injuries and also probably drinking.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gold Roger was nine years older than Charlotte Linlin. Kaido's age has not been given.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bleck posted:

Gold Roger was nine years older than Charlotte Linlin. Kaido's age has not been given.

Ah my mistake then. I though Linlin was older than him given how she talked about him and I thought Roger died younger than he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Roger was an upstart because he came out of nowhere to take the crown I think. He was a dark horse who made a splash in a short time frame Like luffy Rather than someone who established themselves over time like Big Mom and Kaido.