Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

ehhh reciprocity is pretty much the only thing keeping world leaders from doing stupid poo poo like giving advanced anti-aircraft capabilities to rebels. karmas as good a runner up as it gets

well okay reciprocity would be the only consideration for a realist, an institutional liberalist would argue norms and values restrain states too but putin wipes his rear end with norms

Counter point: 224 people don't find your karma very comforting right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah it'd be one thing to splat a mig, this is quite another.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Of course there's no way we left and lost track of a loving patriot battery so SAMs seem to be out.

Yeah Patriot batteries can't float away like other air defense systems.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess that Syrian and Iraqi stocks of tracked SAM systems aren't all accounted for, and in the collapse of the militaries of aforesaid countries trained operators might be available for the right cash/ideology but I'm also guessing that while the Sinai is a bit of a warzone, Egypt still controls it enough to notice such things?

Gonna bet bomb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Gonna bet bomb.

Gonna bet structural failure:

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-...392288af7d6aadc

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm gonna bet "wait until the facts come out before speculating" but I'm a funhater that way.

mlmp08 posted:

We cannot allow a hovercraft SAM battery gap!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Psion posted:

I'm gonna bet "wait until the facts come out before speculating" but I'm a funhater that way.

This times a million.

You bomb-loving loving morons. The CEO of the airline only said that because he came to realise that he's in extraordinarily deep poo poo if it's anything BUT a bomb.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jonny Nox posted:

Thank you.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Now thats what I get for basing my bets on what I saw on general news articles, sounds like the cause could be one of a few things but all centred around lovely maintenance/crew concerns being ignored.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

:agreed:
Yeah, I think this goes for most people here. Keep doing what you :)

I'm glad to hear people like to read me going on and on about lovely outer covers :3:

Ardeem posted:

Oh god, who thought anything about the r101 was a good idea or airworthy at this point?

At the risk of siphoning off my own thunder, I've been thinking about this.

Of the people who knew what was going on with R101, you have the operations people (think the men actually building and flying R101), the engineers, and the politicians/bureaucrats. Certainly among the people flying R101 - there was by the summer of 1930 that R101 a wildly held belief that the airship had serious flaws. On the eventual India flight, several of the crew were substituted, as they had refused to fly in R101 unless they got danger pay. Similarly on the construction side, the Royal Airship Works was not a happy place to be in 1930 - the only word from on top was "you've got to be faster" and it was clear that a project that started out aspiring to very high standards was now doing things in an increasingly sloppy and reckless manner. The engineers, especially the head engineers, were like many other engineers (before and since) who have made bad mistakes. Admitting the mistakes would net them nothing, so they just decided to be optimistic about the whole thing, and hope it'd work out. This was seriously aided by the Air Ministry, who placed all their hopes in getting their white elephant to fly in the midsummer displacement increase - they just wouldn't let the engineers make the changes necessary to actually fix the problems instead of glossing over them. The pride of the Royal Airship Works chiefs was on the line, too: they had spent years looking down their noses at the R100 project - admitting "yeah, we had all the money in the world and we still made a worse airship that doesn't meet the baseline of the contact" was just too much for them to contemplate. Even revising some of the more troublesome subsystems was out, as the revisions needed would have been to copy the R100.

We've often said around here that the SE Asian approach to cockpit communication can cause bad problems. Similarly, all the engineers were being terribly British about the whole thing: keeping a stiff upper lip and just hoping everything would turn out alright.

The bureaucrats, meanwhile, either only gave a poo poo about political directives or were being asked to regulate matters they didn't understand. Compounding this turbo-fuckery was the notion of a contest. If you've been reading my posts, you might have come to the conclusion that the contest was good PR (and some sort of 'acceptable political compromise' ) but was otherwise straight-up bullshit. One of the two contestants was the judge of the contest, and had several political motives to declare themselves the winner. As you can see in the posts, this also lead to R100 and R101 being treated wildly differently; a minor structural thing with the tail might be a reason for R100 not to fly to Canada, but R101 can be staggering around the sky leaking hydrogen to the point that she's on the edge of being literally un-flyable, but that's alright.

Lord Thomson himself is to blame for all this, too. In addition to all the other political machinations, you have this guy who is trying to massage the process just so he can make the trip to India in Her Majesty's newest Airship, thus proving he's the right man to be put in charge of India. His view of the whole project was (well, no surprise here) aristocratic - all he, Lord Thomson, needed to do to get the R101 operating properly is to set firm deadlines and threaten to chop off some heads if his wishes weren't fulfilled. This might be a functional management paradigm in some context - but it sure as hell isn't in a technologically complected project. While he was doing this, he was saying in Parliament "that the R101 would be as safe as houses - except for the millionth chance." Considering that he seems to have thought he'd be flying to India in fall 1929 (!) it could be that the dude was utterly clueless that the risks this approach would rack up might not be political in nature.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

But enough about the navy.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

An old man and his airplane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Impressive as hell that a test pilot from that era could make it into his 90s.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yesterday I got to pay $35 for a 6 minute helicopter flight. First time I was ever in a helicopter, and the first time I've been in any kind of aircraft since I was like 3. I've been a flight simulator nerd since high school, but it wasn't until yesterday that I was finally able to get the time (and second person) to take a flight.

I may or may not have become an addict. I feel like I need to take one of those 1+ hour flights over lakes and rivers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A couple of years ago he backseated in an F-15 that went supersonic. The dude rules.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Right Stuff, indeed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Yesterday I got to pay $35 for a 6 minute helicopter flight. First time I was ever in a helicopter, and the first time I've been in any kind of aircraft since I was like 3. I've been a flight simulator nerd since high school, but it wasn't until yesterday that I was finally able to get the time (and second person) to take a flight.

I may or may not have become an addict. I feel like I need to take one of those 1+ hour flights over lakes and rivers.

When I was in cadets, I got to ride in the right seat of a Kiowa while hotdogging around a wetland centre. That pretty much made me want to be a helicopter pilot right then and there. ~25 years later, still hasn't happened. Helicopters are still awesome tho.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I arranged the three short videos I took on the flight and just really quickly slapped them together into one. It's a Robinson R44 Raven, the one with hydraulically assisted controls. That's my brother in the seat in front of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIwuWjGXnRg

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
heh captain's bars in a robbie

But yeah, those and Schweizers are pretty fun as hell to toot around in. I wish I had the money to continue in flight school but jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus it's :homebrew:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

quote:

On May 25, 2002, a China Airlines Boeing 747-200 (registered B-18255) flew a scheduled service from Taipeh to Hong Kong...

This bothers me more than it should.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duke Chin posted:

heh captain's bars in a robbie

But yeah, those and Schweizers are pretty fun as hell to toot around in. I wish I had the money to continue in flight school but jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus it's :homebrew:

The R22 and R44 feel kinda like the motorcycle of "serious" aviation (meaning stuff that's not a homemade autogyro or single seat kit plane). They're really small and zippy and you can just buzz 150 feet off the ground and bank so hard that the artificial horizon is nearly 90 degrees, and they fit anywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Well that would have been correct 100 years ago.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

hobbesmaster posted:

Well that would have been correct 100 years ago.

Not if you were using Wade-Giles :colbert:

(Actually it's bothersome how they switch between romanization systems here. You can drive down the same road and see it's name spelled three different ways.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

YF19pilot posted:

Canadian spelling :colbert::canada:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Not if you were using Wade-Giles :colbert:

(Actually it's bothersome how they switch between romanization systems here. You can drive down the same road and see it's name spelled three different ways.)

You can walk and see it spelled differently from block to block.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A clip from a documentary a few years ago, showing some aerial footage of planes and then a quick look at ATC operations in Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKV8ovw3QN0
The stat is now out of date, Syd-Mel is now 4th busiest I think.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wireless Telegraphic Direction Finding (the so-close to comedy acronym WTDF) almost always provided accurate navigation fixes, useful when you can't see the ground.

I'm gonna start using "what the drat gently caress." As in "what the drat gently caress, another Neb airship post right when I have to go do X chore!"

I just remembered, in your great B-36 post in one place you inverted the meaning of "aspect ratio" and said it has a low one. (In another place, you correctly said it is high.)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34702153

Dat fog

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

vessbot posted:

I just remembered, in your great B-36 post in one place you inverted the meaning of "aspect ratio" and said it has a low one. (In another place, you correctly said it is high.)

Thanks. This *does* sound like me...

e: Good news! This thread's favorite non-existant F-15 variant may be getting a new shot at life!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
They'll probably get them too, because Boeing's going to pour lobbying money into it with dump trucks so they can keep their ex-McDonnell Douglas units open after losing LRS-B. Flightglobal is also reporting that the semi-stealthy variant is the one requested.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 3, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks. This *does* sound like me...

e: Good news! This thread's favorite non-existant F-15 variant may be getting a new shot at life!

"We're still really really angry about the Iran deal. Hows about some F-15s?"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody have thoughts on the new domestic Chinese jetliner?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

david_a posted:

Umm, Airbus is screwed?

Nope, I guess I don't.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

david_a posted:

The China.jpg thread does. Consensus seems to be "lol" and "who wants to bet that hundreds of millions end up in pockets where they don't belong"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The first all-melamine jetliner.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I figured somebody might have info on whether it's even competitive with Ilyushin/Tupolev UAC jetliners (I assume there's no chance it's on-par with Boeing/Airbus).

david_a fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 3, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How would these compare to the Superbugs?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

david_a posted:

Looks like a swollen C-series. Isn't, I assume, but looks like it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Please don't plane-shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I haven't seen this, got a link?