Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

CarForumPoster posted:

This is true within big defense as well.

Could not agree more. I think the costs are what they are due to the typical amount of money getting plowed through the system. That and the make work programs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sud-Est_Grognard

This goofy bastard came up in #spaceflight. It has vertical stacked jet engines on the back like the Electric Lightning.

Not QUITE as goofy on a top angle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm convinced the French affinity for delta wings is somehow influenced by the fact that over 80% of the populace has toxoplasmosis from the use of undercooked meat in French cuisine...I'm thinking the same is true of English airplane design, only with whatever parasite you can get from eating blood sausage and entrails.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
E: This is not an IT thread

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 30, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm convinced the French affinity for delta wings is somehow influenced by the fact that over 80% of the populace has toxoplasmosis from the use of undercooked meat in French cuisine...I'm thinking the same is true of English airplane design, only with whatever parasite you can get from eating blood sausage and entrails.

Delta wings are the sexiest aeronautical shape. Just compare the boring old F-16 with the F-16XL.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What is this?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

Delta wings are the sexiest aeronautical shape. Just compare the boring old F-16 with the F-16XL.

It's really strange that the F-16XL didn't take off, especially considering Japan has their own weirdo F-16 variant as it is.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

From what I remember it was a perfectly good fighter but the F-15E required less modification and therefore was cheaper.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's really strange that the F-16XL didn't take off, especially considering Japan has their own weirdo F-16 variant as it is.

I think you'll find it did in fact take off. Several times, even.

:colbert:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Cyrano4747 posted:

What is this?

Derp wrong thread.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

What is this?

Probably posted in the wrong thread/forum.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My brain parasites take offense to that. Blood and organs are good and good for you. Also, about 50% of the populations of Asia, South America, and Africa are infected with Toxoplasmosis, and I'm not seeing delta winged grognards flying from their pretty pretty swirly sparkly eyes ooh so fluffy who wants to hug a kitty.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

From what I remember it was a perfectly good fighter but the F-15E required less modification and therefore was cheaper.

That still makes zero sense considering they spend something like 80 million per unit for the Mitsubishi F-2 which already is pretty decently modified from the standard F-16s.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cat Mattress posted:

God that was a beautiful plane.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Party Plane Jones posted:

That still makes zero sense considering they spend something like 80 million per unit for the Mitsubishi F-2 which already is pretty decently modified from the standard F-16s.

I think part of the F-2 price tag comes from the requirement that it be built/engineered in Japan, and they don't have a huge production volume to spread the costs out over. Something like that, anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pretty sure Toxoplasmosis also explains why cat memes are a thing.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

priznat posted:

Pretty sure Toxoplasmosis also explains why cat memes are a thing.

And cat people in general.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, let me get this straight:

1. The US and Russia, who both hate ISIS, try to put stuff aside so they can work together on it.

2. America by accident bombs a group of Assad soldiers.

3. Russia, its honor slighted, responds by deliberately blowing up an aid convoy, an actual goddamn war crime.

4. ??????

I think your step 1 is wrong. Putin doesn't actually care about ISIS and doesn't need to do anything about ISIS since the US is already on the case. For the Russian regime this has been about propping up a client state since the beginning, and blowing up humanitarian aid has the bonus of destabilizing Europe.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arglebargle III posted:

I think your step 1 is wrong. Putin doesn't actually care about ISIS and doesn't need to do anything about ISIS since the US is already on the case. For the Russian regime this has been about propping up a client state since the beginning, and blowing up humanitarian aid has the bonus of destabilizing Europe.

Eh, I think he's also keeping his toe in the water just in case the US fucks up horribly in some way, so he can point the finger at us on the world stage. It is Putin, after all.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

e: gently caress it, nevermind

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 1, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Putin is absolutely sitting back and laughing his rear end off as we fight our own Mujahadeen-like enemy.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Russian observers visit Hanford’s B reactor annually (that’s the second serious nuclear reactor ever built, 1944) to confirm it remains decommissioned.

That’s got to be a pretty laid-back gig.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nah, because they have to keep telling their friends back home that not only are Jordache jeans out of style now, but also that they're really hard to find.

"I keep telling you, Yuri...is about pre-torn now. Otherwise is still Levi's. I have coupon at Kohl's."
You laugh, but I chauffeured those guys around a couple times, and it always seemed like they would show up for their return flight with bags of clothes from the mall and the tequila sweats.

Oh my goodness, it's called the "grumbler" :3:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 1, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Alaan posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sud-Est_Grognard

This goofy bastard came up in #spaceflight. It has vertical stacked jet engines on the back like the Electric Lightning.

Not QUITE as goofy on a top angle.

I thought I was looking at an upside-down X-32 for a second.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The French have a thing for visually striking design:

Leduc 0.22

e: rehosted, album with all four pics is here: http://imgur.com/a/UzUnn

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 1, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
First image is broken, try rehosting it.

Suspect Bucket posted:

My brain parasites take offense to that. Blood and organs are good and good for you. Also, about 50% of the populations of Asia, South America, and Africa are infected with Toxoplasmosis, and I'm not seeing delta winged grognards flying from their pretty pretty swirly sparkly eyes ooh so fluffy who wants to hug a kitty.

Haven't countries in all those regions bought French planes? China's made a few delta planes as well.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Good god, look what it did to his face.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aphid_licker posted:

Leduc 0.22

You've got to admire anyone with big enough balls that they look at thath thing and say "yes, I will get in that and fly it thousands of feet above the ground."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

aphid_licker posted:

You can say that again:

And my personal favourite,

:3:

In order: SNCASO (Sud-Ouest) SO.4000, SNCASO SO.4050 Vautour, SNCASO SO.6020 Espadon, SNCASO SO.9000 Trident, SNCASE (Sud-Est) SE.212 Durandal, Nord 1402 Gerfaut, Nord 1500 Griffon, Nord 1601 and the SIPA S.200 Minijet

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think they always did have some nice clean-line designs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Butterfly in the sky /
I can fly twice as high /

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The thing I posted apparently was the first use of a ramjet and was supposed to reach Mach 2, but they got the area rule wrong somehow and never managed to get above Mach 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leduc_0.22

I can't get over how mental the thing looks.

Second one is an earlier prototype. Can't stop laughing. Apparently humanity was a proper area ruling away from ending up with this instead of the Mirage III.

e: the Nord 1500 Griffon is so funny. The cockpit and nose just sorta randomly sprout out the top.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 1, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

aphid_licker posted:

The thing I posted apparently was the first use of a ramjet and was supposed to reach Mach 2, but they got the area rule wrong somehow and never managed to get above Mach 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leduc_0.22

Second one is an earlier prototype. Can't stop laughing. Apparently humanity was a proper area ruling away from ending up with this instead of the Mirage III.

e: the Nord 1500 Griffon is so funny. The cockpit and nose just sorta randomly sprout out the top.

Just a guess but I'd imagine maintenance access on that thing was probably pretty easy.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The French prototyped a swing-wing fighter bomber in the late 60s, powered by a SNECMA produced version of the TF30. The later two prototypes switched to the Atar turbojet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS90boHTAO0

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

[/quote]

"poo poo I drank all weekend instead of designing a plane, oh gently caress... Oh wait bullets go supersonic, I'll just slaps some wings on that."

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

C.M. Kruger posted:

The French prototyped a swing-wing fighter bomber in the late 60s, powered by a SNECMA produced version of the TF30. The later two prototypes switched to the Atar turbojet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS90boHTAO0

poo poo it looks like a mig-23 had a baby with a Tornado

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

MrChips posted:

SNCASE (Sud-Est) SE.212 Durandal

I looked it up, and no, Wikipedia doesn't lead me to believe that its service history has anything in common with the Matra Durandal runway-cratering munition :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Oh my god it's so little and fat :3:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Latécoère 631 flying boat wasn't bad to look at either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

Ridleux, a eu toutes les Beemans?