Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spam & eggs is classic imo

it's also good in macaroni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Turkey spam + spinach fettuccine + parmesan and a small splash of soy sauce is an unusual but tasty combo I came across

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
spam braised in trader joes red wine with blackberry jam added, side with a bagged kraft salad, and instant mash potatoes

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The Il Cucchiaio d'Argento recipe for spaghetti alla carbonara with spam instead of panchetta, and lightly garnished with the tears of food purists.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Come to the Korean thread for kimchi making advice! For the smell of the fresh stuff, other than get over it man you could try making kimchi bokkeum, which is a fancy Korean way of saying put the kimchi in a pan and saute it. You get a different and excellent flavor and cooking that way tends to drive the smell down.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cooked kimchi is also a bombass combination with pork

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

drive the smell down.

You mad bastard I've learned my lessons from sauteeing chilli peppers and tear gassing myself. I SHALL NOT FALL FOR YOUR TRICKERY DEMON

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Or make kimchijeon/kimchi pajun/pajeon (I don't read Hangul and it doesn't seem to transliterate consistently anyway).

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchijeon

e: not a joke, it's warm tasty kimchi pancake and you get the flavor without much smell

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 10, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

You mad bastard I've learned my lessons from sauteeing chilli peppers and tear gassing myself. I SHALL NOT FALL FOR YOUR TRICKERY DEMON

pour apple cider vinegar onto a hot skillet, it's great, trust meee

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hogmartin posted:

Or make kimchijeon/kimchi pajun/pajeon (I don't read Hangul and it doesn't seem to transliterate consistently anyway).

It does, actually. People are just stupid and don't learn how to do it. Revised Romanization is the system if you're interested, there's a wikipedia article.

Kimchi jeon is good. Jeon means the pancakey thing, pajeon is one with just green onions. Very easy but getting it to cook consistently crispy is a trick I haven't quite figured out. In Korea they don't much care for crispy so it's just kind of goo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

hogmartin posted:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchijeon

e: not a joke, it's warm tasty kimchi pancake and you get the flavor without much smell

Korean romanization is terrible because they completely revamped the romanization system once. Also names are "romanize them however the gently caress you want" territory, and to make things worse the loan words that come from before the revamp (kimchi, for example) have stayed unaltered to cause even more confusion

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Come to the Korean thread for kimchi making advice! For the smell of the fresh stuff, other than get over it man you could try making kimchi bokkeum, which is a fancy Korean way of saying put the kimchi in a pan and saute it. You get a different and excellent flavor and cooking that way tends to drive the smell down.

One of my favorite things ever is kimchi grilled cheese. So good.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I was recently listening to a podcast where Michael Ruhlman mentioned duck confit as something that is cooked in it's own fat, then hung to dry. This last step I haven't heard before, does anyone have a procedure for that? I'd like to do that with some turkey thighs for thanksgiving if I still have time.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It does, actually. People are just stupid and don't learn how to do it. Revised Romanization is the system if you're interested, there's a wikipedia article.

Kimchi jeon is good. Jeon means the pancakey thing, pajeon is one with just green onions. Very easy but getting it to cook consistently crispy is a trick I haven't quite figured out. In Korea they don't much care for crispy so it's just kind of goo.

Thanks for clearing up jeon/pajeon, I always wondered about that since my favorite Korean place has a 'kimchi pajun' but whenever I search for recipes I mostly find 'kimchi jeon'. Some things like kimchi or bibimbap are always romanized the same way, but I've seen like six different spellings of japchae and just figured that Korean had some phonemes that didn't slot exactly into latin characters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a few that don't fit well but you just pick a letter and go with it. There are also consonants that change their sound depending on if they're the beginning or end of the syllable. The RR system works fine as long as you actually use it but people just Romanize however the gently caress they want and then asking for directions online becomes impossible because what the gently caress is kyuhngmeen sheenchan station supposed to be and :argh:

I have lingering issues.

The jeons:

Pajeon = green onion jeon
Kimchijeon = kimchi jeon
Haemuljeon = seafood jeon, usually oysters/shrimp

You could do other things I suppose? I don't remember seeing anything else.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

The jeons:

Pajeon = green onion jeon
Kimchijeon = kimchi jeon
Haemuljeon = seafood jeon, usually oysters/shrimp

You could do other things I suppose? I don't remember seeing anything else.

:colbert: Buchujeon is the best jeon.

And don't forget about the whole other world of yeast risen fried pancakes in Korea. A piping hot cinnamon hotteok is amazing on a fall afternoon walk.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

hogmartin posted:

Thanks for clearing up jeon/pajeon, I always wondered about that since my favorite Korean place has a 'kimchi pajun' but whenever I search for recipes I mostly find 'kimchi jeon'. Some things like kimchi or bibimbap are always romanized the same way, but I've seen like six different spellings of japchae and just figured that Korean had some phonemes that didn't slot exactly into latin characters.

Those phonemes would be the ㅔ/ㅐ distinction (e/ae, more or less indistinguishable to English speakers), ㅜ/ㅡ (u/eu, same), ㄷ/ㄸ/ㅌ (d/dd/t, very confusing for English speakers though they can tell the difference) etc. There's a ton.

Anyway, jeon is the catchall term for "Korean fried stuff," encompassing quite a few categories of food that don't seem to share much similarity. For example, saengseonjeon (fish jeon) is simply fish rolled in flour and then dipped in egg, fried in the pan. Haemuljeon (seafood jeon) is on the other hand a pancake made by tossing a bunch of assorted seafood (not fish) into a savory thin pancake batter. What people in the west would call meatballs also fall under the purview of jeon, and so on.

The only rule of jeon is that whatever jeon you're making is prefixed with the main ingredient and that all jeon is very good when put in your mouth and you should make it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Aww yeah put my jeon in your mouth, baby.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

The only rule of jeon is that whatever jeon you're making is prefixed with the main ingredient and that all jeon is very good when put in your mouth and you should make it

Agreed, and thanks for the linguistic enlightenment.

I didn't know jeon was universal for fried stuff, I've only ever seen it on menus to describe pancakes (prefixed with the main ingredient).

e: also if Suspect Bucket is still around, kimchijeon is more of an omelette that you eat like a plate of nachos than a western fluffy spongy pancake. The main ingredient gets fried in batter and then you break it apart and dip it in sauce. It definitely softens the smell - and some of the flavor - of kimchi. At least that's how it's served around here, I've never been to Korea. Some bastard boat broke so we had to take their mission and they got our liberty in Chinhae :argh:

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 10, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

hogmartin posted:

Agreed, and thanks for the linguistic enlightenment.

I didn't know jeon was universal for fried stuff, I've only ever seen it on menus to describe pancakes (prefixed with the main ingredient).

Well, not all Korean fried food is jeon, that was misleading to say. But all jeon is fried food, and not all jeon is pancakes. Sorry for the confusion.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
So I'm probably going to make this recipe soon because it looks delicious and is really simple, but I'm just wondering about the time in the oven. He says to roast chicken thighs for 1 hour at 450 F, which seems like a long time to me as I'm sure I've roasted chicken thighs in about half that time before. I know chef John is an actual chef and all, but I still worry it would overcook. Or is that not something to really worry about with thighs?

obviously I can just keep an eye on it but I'm a big fan of "put in oven and leave until done"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

So I'm probably going to make this

The way this guy speaks is maddeningly weird to listen to. Like the video is fine, the meal looks good... why does he keep putting a higher emphasis on the penultimate word in every sentence?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

JawKnee posted:

The way this guy speaks is maddeningly weird to listen to. Like the video is fine, the meal looks good... why does he keep putting a higher emphasis on the penultimate word in every sentence?

I dunno, at first it bugged me but now I kind of like it. It's not as prevalent in his older videos

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Thinking of making my own vanilla extract. Any recs for where to order the beans? I remember people talking years ago about where they used to order them by the pound, but don't remember. Definitely not paying $2/bean or whatever outrageous price Penzey's is charging these days

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JawKnee posted:

pour apple cider vinegar onto a hot skillet, it's great, trust meee

Someone please tell me not to do this because I am dumb but curious to try. Also, does that mean ACV and chillis, or ACV on it's own.

Either way this'll make an interesting/hilarious youtube

hogmartin posted:

kimchijeon is more of an omelette that you eat like a plate of nachos than a western fluffy spongy pancake. The main ingredient gets fried in batter and then you break it apart and dip it in sauce. It definitely softens the smell - and some of the flavor - of kimchi. At least that's how it's served around here, I've never been to Korea. Some bastard boat broke so we had to take their mission and they got our liberty in Chinhae :argh:

I live here since Pet Island got lovely. Or had always been lovely but WHATEVER gently caress IT WHO CARES. You know what I care about now? Kimchi nachos, or more like kimchee monkey bread. Because that is the most beautiful of bastards I've ever heard of.

Edit: so are we not doing something Offal Secret Santa this year? Or did I miss it? If so, 2016 is now officially the loving worst.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 11, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Those phonemes would be the ㅔ/ㅐ distinction (e/ae, more or less indistinguishable to English speakers), ㅜ/ㅡ (u/eu, same), ㄷ/ㄸ/ㅌ (d/dd/t, very confusing for English speakers though they can tell the difference) etc. There's a ton.

Depends on the region too. I lived in southeastern Korea so I learned Gyeongsang Korean, which only has six vowels compared to the... ten I think in standard. The Korean phonemes English just doesn't have are ㅓ,ㅡ,ㄹ. The last two there are the most difficult. Other ones have minor differences, like ㄱ is sort of halfway between k and g and changes depending on the position and word and yeah. Hangeul is nice but don't let anyone tell you it's perfectly phonetic, it isn't.

The double consonants are distinguished by aspiration, which English doesn't use that way so it's really annoying trying to learn to pay attention for it.

I never saw buchujeon but it looks like a thing that would be good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got a Costco membership to pick up a new vacuum. Are there any food essentials at Costco that are significantly cheaper? The only thing I saw was beef and pork. I can get chicken and seafood for the same price down the road. Most of the branded stuff seems like it's only down to being store brand prices. It might be different for me because it's ten miles away rather than 1/2 or 4 miles away.

Also: recommend me a filling, cheap, non-cruciferous vegetable.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You can buy prime brisket for 2.99 a pound

I mean you need to buy the whole brisket but it's a good deal

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone ever try freezing tofu before cooking? I've heard it can give a chewier texture to the tofu.

Is the freezing typically done before or after draining?

I got a tofu press a while back and it squeezes the hell out of the tofu letting me get a nice chewy fried texture. I'm curious if freezing would give a better texture for braised dishes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got a Costco membership to pick up a new vacuum. Are there any food essentials at Costco that are significantly cheaper? The only thing I saw was beef and pork. I can get chicken and seafood for the same price down the road. Most of the branded stuff seems like it's only down to being store brand prices. It might be different for me because it's ten miles away rather than 1/2 or 4 miles away.

I dunno, it's kinda regional/seasonal.
You can get chanterelles for way cheaper than any other grocery in season, sometimes other decent or 'unusual' produce. Decent cheese and/or butters occasionally. We get whole peppercorns there. Their rotisserie chickens are way cheaper than an actual raw chicken, we get them occasionally just to chuck in soups or salads or whatever. Ours carries posole corn, you can get like 8# of the stuff for nothing. I get pork shoulder there for carnitas or ssäm or whatever. Their pork tenderloins are usually either cheaper or better than most other stores around here. Sometimes good local lamb, I've heard their sides of salmon are decent too. They typically have decent steaks although I wouldn't say they're cheap. Their raw nuts are usually a bargain if you have a use for 2# of them. We usually only go like, 2-4 times a year though and just stock up on a bunch of poo poo right before a holiday/other company.

edit: yeah the brisket was decent too

Hauki fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 11, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Anyone ever try freezing tofu before cooking? I've heard it can give a chewier texture to the tofu.

Is the freezing typically done before or after draining?

I got a tofu press a while back and it squeezes the hell out of the tofu letting me get a nice chewy fried texture. I'm curious if freezing would give a better texture for braised dishes.

It's worth a shot, the texture's real different. Dunno if you'll like it. Drain the water, slice it and freeze.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is what root vegetables were made for.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm really into Zucchini and Eggplant right now. You just dice them into inch thick pieces, then fry them in a little olive oil with salt and pepper for about 4-5 minutes, until they're slightly browned while still having a nice bite. Just make sure you salt and rinse the egg plant first, otherwise it can have a bit of a funky flavor.

Anne Whateley posted:

This is what root vegetables were made for.

This too. I made this roasted swede(rutabaga?) soup recently, and it was great:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/creamroastedswedesou_79761

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The rotisserie chickens are always a good buy. I tend to go buy bulk amounts of rice, oil (olive+ coconut + vegetable), canned tomatoes, flats of any other canned stuff I use often if they have them (coconut milk), large bags/jars of dry nuts like cashews and/or pecans, flour, sugar, dry beans etc.

Right now every kind of winter squash is going to be super cheap so I'd go nuts with butternut, kuri, acorn and other squashes. Infinite ways to prepare those but you should be seeing them dip well below $0.99 per lb.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Does this stuffing recipe sound good?

Buy 2 loafs Trader Joes Sourdough Bread.
Roughly cube it, dry it out in a low oven.
Do a Mirepoix with celery, onion, carrot but also include some Celeriac.
Sautee it down with store bought turkey stock, add chicken bouillon powder if needed to get the right salt level.
More spices accordingly standard stuff like black pepper.
Finish with destemmed fresh thyme.

Serious Eats calls for egg and sausage. The former doesn't really make sense to me, the latter could be good, got to be a mild crumbly sausage though.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/classic-sage-and-sausage-stuffing-or-dressing-recipe.html

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Does this stuffing recipe sound good?

Buy 2 loafs Trader Joes Sourdough Bread.
Roughly cube it, dry it out in a low oven.
Do a Mirepoix with celery, onion, carrot but also include some Celeriac.
Sautee it down with store bought turkey stock, add chicken bouillon powder if needed to get the right salt level.
More spices accordingly standard stuff like black pepper.
Finish with destemmed fresh thyme.

Serious Eats calls for egg and sausage. The former doesn't really make sense to me, the latter could be good, got to be a mild crumbly sausage though.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/classic-sage-and-sausage-stuffing-or-dressing-recipe.html

I personally don't see the point in adding either eggs or sausage, but it won't ruin it.

I would add sage as an herb, but that's personal pref. My inlaws add cranberries and diced apple, and I don't love it, but it's not bad.

I do wonder though, why would you add chicken bullion powder for saltiness, instead of salt? That's a little odd IMO.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chicken stock powder is basically salt and a bunch of yeast extracts so it has tons of umami.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm going to a Thanksgiving dinner and wanna take something to contribute. Preferably something that can be cooked in advance and reheats well, or is meant to be eaten at room temp, or whatever; the dinner is like a two hour drive away. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My favored snack right now is shredded, oven baked sharp cheddar cheese crisps. Just ran out of cheddar blocks though. Anyone tried this with any other cheeses they'd recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I'm going to a Thanksgiving dinner and wanna take something to contribute. Preferably something that can be cooked in advance and reheats well, or is meant to be eaten at room temp, or whatever; the dinner is like a two hour drive away. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I'll never shut up about this stuff: club spinach. Fill a casserole dish with canned spinach (frozen works but you'll have to salt it), top it with Ritz cracker crumbs, shredded cheese, and cooked chopped bacon, bake it until you get bored. It's not as good if the cheese isn't melty and the crackers aren't crispy, but it could take a two hour drive easy. It fits into the same slot as green bean casserole in a Thanksgiving meal.

http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_q/Q06000.pdf
(may require adjustment if you're feeding fewer than 100 people)