Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

My issue is that the solution of Medicare for all may actually fail as a system. Personally I am in favor of a Universal Healthcare system, but it means that EVERYONE has to be on it for it to work.

Every time I've seen the numbers run, it works out very well, at least on paper.

The biggest problems are that

1) Yes, taxes would go up (but not more than the rich can afford), and

2) Most of the cost savings would come by firing a shitload of insurance workers who would then be jobless, so, yeah, that's a problem

edit:

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

Get mad all you want, your argument has been confusing and pointless and you just admitted you were arguing against a strawman of people's reactions, so congrats on taking the time to phone post something that added nothing of value.

I responded to a guy who thanked my response, even if he doesn't agree, this is you completely misinterpreting the posts and then posting snarky responses... and then move the goal posts when called on it.

E: VVV

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 22, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
If you're going to continue talking about healthcare reform in the BAD TORMP DUMNB thread at least post a friendly doggo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Every time I've seen the numbers run, it works out very well, at least on paper.

The biggest problems are that

1) Yes, taxes would go up (but not more than the rich can afford), and

2) Most of the cost savings would come by firing a shitload of insurance workers who would then be jobless, so, yeah, that's a problem

The 2nd one I think could be alleviated I think with having private insurance companies become simply processors of information. It'd be the largest private governmental I guess contract, but uh it'd make it so that 'd alleviate some of the issue. However, that doesn't help that much.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

The 2nd one I think could be alleviated I think with having private insurance companies become simply processors of information. It'd be the largest private governmental I guess contract, but uh it'd make it so that 'd alleviate some of the issue. However, that doesn't help that much.

They actually already do this, and as I've mentioned before, the fight for these markets represent big strategic pushes for the top insurers.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Love having a free press!

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/877711866415403008

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Boon posted:

I responded to a guy who thanked my response, even if he doesn't agree, this is you completely misinterpreting the posts and then posting snarky responses... and then move the goal posts when called on it.

I'm responding to your post where you talked about how the US and the NHS ration differently and act as if that's going to be a big stumbling block in a country where people literally can't afford basic care.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Has anyone proposed just making Medicare an option as part of the exchanges? It seems like it would give a viable insurer to those areas of the country that don't have any others and force insurance companies to be competitive in price elsewhere. Then at some point down the road if you have 60%+ of folks using Medicare you use that as justification to head towards single payer.

I mean, not in THIS Congress, but somewhere down the line...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Medicare is not a self sustaining system. We all contribute to Medicare. We're suppose to get Medicare when we become eligible and the generation before us pays for it. That's the cycle.

The rich buying robot guards is the end game of automating everything. No workers means no funding

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 22, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Take off and nuke the site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure.
:(

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Glass of Milk posted:

Has anyone proposed just making Medicare an option as part of the exchanges? It seems like it would give a viable insurer to those areas of the country that don't have any others and force insurance companies to be competitive in price elsewhere. Then at some point down the road if you have 60%+ of folks using Medicare you use that as justification to head towards single payer.

I mean, not in THIS Congress, but somewhere down the line...

They they talked about this when they passed the ACA but motherfuckin' Joe god drat piece of poo poo Lieberman caused it to go away.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah we need Democrats like Lieberman out.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think AHCA is good because Medicaid getting gradually phased out means Blue states have time to phase in single-payer plans and Red states will see a significant portion of their populous die

Everybody wins

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/stevekopack/status/877710886474887169

quote:

President Trump in a rally on Wednesday evening said immigrants who enter the United States should not be eligible for welfare benefits for five years, though such a law has already existed for 20 years

His staff probably convinced him that this is one way to be tough on immigrants, while making sure it won't be struck down by the courts.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DrNutt posted:

They they talked about this when they passed the ACA but motherfuckin' Joe god drat piece of poo poo Lieberman caused it to go away.

full medicare expansion was only on the table depending on who you believe.

what joe lieberman did was torpedo as the last moment opening up medicare for 55+.

This would have had the double effect of taking those people out of the general pool and getting more people tied into medicare, which is good because medicare is cool and good.

Then joe lieberman........

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

I think AHCA is good because Medicaid getting gradually phased out means Blue states have time to phase in single-payer plans and Red states will see a significant portion of their populous die

Everybody wins

With luck they'll abolish Medicare too, we'll have plenty of time to put it back after the baby boomers commit suicide by vote

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Everybody wins

single payer plans cannot work in states because the inherent volatility of health care prices, plus their general trend upwards, makes them very difficult for states with fixed budgets. This is why it failed in vermont.

Of course this isn't a problem at the federal level.

You either need to a.) mandate everyone buys in to it which makes it politically untenable or b.) have a system set up where the federal government subsidizes your overruns.

Also you'd need it be specifically for medical expenses so unscrupulous governors couldn't use it to their own devices like states do now with medicaid.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JasonV posted:

His staff probably convinced him that this is one way to be tough on immigrants, while making sure it won't be struck down by the courts.

What's his actual quote? Some of the comments are saying that Trump only said the law should be "enforced", not "enacted", or whatever.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

trump is so ahead of everyone else in this 11-dimensional chess game he got his own legislation passed 20 years before he was president!!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I want everyone who thinks politicians have a shelf life to say three words for me:

Effff. Deeee. Arrre.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

What's his actual quote? Some of the comments are saying that Trump only said the law should be "enforced", not "enacted", or whatever.

quote:

The president said his administration would be “putting in legislation to that effect very shortly.”

We're gonna make new laws that say we have to enforce our laws that we're already enforcing! That'll show em how tough we are!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JasonV posted:

Kinda reminds me of how media companies like Vox will recycle evergreen articles to keep up page clicks. Reunion tours for rock bands, etc. etc. etc.

All of your favorite garbage laws from the 90s... signed into law again!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JasonV posted:

This is the best kind of law Trump could propose.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Data Graham posted:

quote:

“The time has come for new immigration rules which say that those seeking admission into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years,” Trump told a crowd in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at the U.S. Cellular Center.

The president said his administration would be “putting in legislation to that effect very shortly.”

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well if that's any indication Trump will in a few months suggest us to pass Obamacare

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hey, he's started making promises he can keep

Next he'll promise that the Vietnam War will be only a memory

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Elotana posted:

You think the "Republican hate machine" wasn't running until 2009? How old are you?

Things got noticeably worse after America had the gall to elect a colored person

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Im convinced that he will actually take credit for this

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I think this may have been missed amongst the sad-braining this morning, but here's a good article, kind of overview of Bayrock and Sater.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-06-21/trump-russia-and-those-shadowy-sater-deals-at-bayrock

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Unoriginal Name posted:

I want everyone who thinks politicians have a shelf life to say three words for me:

Effff. Deeee. Arrre.
I don't really think it's a comparison you can make given the media saturation today vs 80 years ago

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Next he'll promise that the Vietnam War will be only a memory

Not sure how long he'll be able to keep that promise

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
In a startling role reversal the Trump Administration admonished the separatists states and not only said would do what it took to put down the rebellious army ,but to also issue a proclamation saying all are free in the United States from the bonds of slavery.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

I know when I try to consider what makes young folks excited to vote, the first thing I think of is a woman in her 70s who last delivered something concrete when they were 12.

Yeah you don't know poo poo about young voters, who idolize Maxine Waters and Betty White.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm wondering how they expect to enforce that. What's to stop a reporter from hiding a microcassette recorder in their pocket and sneaking it into the briefing? And what would they do if they did find recoding equipment; send someone to bed without supper?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lemming posted:

Not sure how long he'll be able to keep that promise

Oh there is a reason I didn't say Korean

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Oh there is a reason I didn't say Korean

Trump's got dementia

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm wondering how they expect to enforce that. What's to stop a reporter from hiding a microcassette recorder in their pocket and sneaking it into the briefing? And what would they do if they did find recoding equipment; send someone to bed without supper?

Check them for security reasons and then ban them?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lemming posted:

Trump's got dementia

Still technically someone's memory! Just not his, not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mustached Demon posted:

Check them for security reasons and then ban them?

Could be a bomb, probably a terrist

• Locked thread