Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

So I just installed plex media server machine on my Ubuntu machine. It can read files on my main drive but it cant see anything on my big media drive I have installed in it beyond the mount point. i.e. when I'm trying to add the library foulder in the /Seagate drive it can see the folder itself, but when I select it, I cant select any sub-folders or add files. I'm sure it's a permissions issue, but I'm not sure how, as everything has permissions 755, so theoretically it should see it. I haven't changed any options, I just installed Plex. Anyone had this issue?

Is this by any chance Plex in a flatpak or snap? Those are meant to isolate the things inside from the rest of the system, so they do weird things with bind mounts to only selectively allow them access to certain folders.
I don't use either much, so I don't remember how to add another folder - but maybe that can send you in a useful direction?

(Also, I'm just guessing that snap does this - I know flatpak does, and they're supposedly similar, so...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Is this by any chance Plex in a flatpak or snap? Those are meant to isolate the things inside from the rest of the system, so they do weird things with bind mounts to only selectively allow them access to certain folders.
I don't use either much, so I don't remember how to add another folder - but maybe that can send you in a useful direction?

(Also, I'm just guessing that snap does this - I know flatpak does, and they're supposedly similar, so...)

Should have been slightly clearer, im using Pop!_os, so I initially got it off the Pop!_shop (which I assume uses flatpak.) I uninstalled it, and then downloaded the 64 bit .deb off the website, and still no dice, I'm afraid it still doesn't work.

On second check, it won't look in my /home/user/ folder either, only places like /var/opt/

E: Found the answer here.

The Atomic Man-Boy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 15, 2022

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I am hopeful the XDG portal stuff fixes the file picker situation. Nobody likes where things are now, and that's a way for everyone to just BYO, even for GNOME.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's fun to figure stuff out on Debian but I just installed one of Intel's iwlwifi firmwares and my wifi now works but my bluetooth adapter has disappeared.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

challenge:

worst way to to emulate the functionality of `tail -F`

currently the best I can do is `while [[ $(ls -al file.log |wc -l) != 1 ]]; sleep 1;done;tail -f file.log` but there has to be something even stupider and more convuluted.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Use an incron script to trigger when the file is modified. The script should use filefrag to get the physical locations of the file on the disk. Compare the length of the file to a previous record of the length kept in a file in /tmp, and determine which bytes to display. Then use dd to read the bytes directly from disk. To show the output on screen, having a waiting netcat instance listening on a network port, and have the incron script pipe over ncat.

Don't tidy up the incron script or /tmp file when done.

Is that stupid enough?

edit: I think you also need to use fdisk to get where the partition starts on the disk, and add that to the information from filefrag

edit 2: Your script will detect a change in length but not a change of equal length. You should use a computationally expensive hashing function to read the entire contents each time and make sure if it's bit-identical...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 16, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, I just got a warning from my rpi that it is running out of space. Good thing I set those up, but very confused as to what even could use that much space.
It was docker. With a 20Gb logfile that it wrote in a few months. This is how I found out that docker doesn't rotate or sizelimit or auto-deletes logs by default.

And also why I think limiting quotas by user is kinda useless, because these kinds of fat logs are created as root of course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quotas are a sysadmin trap, they only make sense in big environments. And I'd argue that if you are in a big environment quotas are a sign of poor planning or insufficient budget.

And yes, docker's default config is stupid. You can change the logging driver to get log rotation.. consider syslog or journald.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

xzzy posted:

And yes, docker's default config is stupid. You can change the logging driver to get log rotation.. consider syslog or journald.

You can get log rotation with the default driver, it's just not the default for some stupid reason:

code:
    logging:
      driver: json-file
      options:
        max-size: 10M
        max-file: '100'
Are there any major advantages to syslog/journald? I think if I wanted to do something fancy with docker logs I'd want a proper centralized solution like Graylog or Logstash.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So after about 10 years I've decided to install OpenBSD again. My PFsense system was annoying me and now everything runs trough an OpenBSD gateway.

Got wireguard, pf and a DHCP/PXE server setup and it all went pretty painless.

It sure is a polished OS. I like 'doas'.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Are there any major advantages to syslog/journald? I think if I wanted to do something fancy with docker logs I'd want a proper centralized solution like Graylog or Logstash.

For me, it's familiarity. I want logs in standard spots.

Additionally, my org has mandatory log forwarding to the security team, and we already have syslog set up to to do it. So it's less work to dump everything into syslog and they can chew on it however they want.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Is btrfs good for a root partition on a personal computer? I'm deciding between that and ZFS, because I want encryption and compression. I'm fine with any amount of technical difficulty, as long as I don't have to do frequent maintenance on it.

e: The drive itself is an NVMe SSD, if that matters.

e2: also, it's a laptop, so it's gotta support resuming from hibernation

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 18, 2022

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Music Theory posted:

Is btrfs good for a root partition on a personal computer? I'm deciding between that and ZFS, because I want encryption and compression. I'm fine with any amount of technical difficulty, as long as I don't have to do frequent maintenance on it.

I would never trust BTFRS for anything. Just my opinion. :) ZFS would be my go to.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I would never trust BTFRS for anything. Just my opinion. :) ZFS would be my go to.

Why?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/examining-btrfs-linuxs-perpetually-half-finished-filesystem/

It's gained some traction as a single disk FS (Fedora, Suse) but as disk spanning solution, it's still seems to have major issues.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

It seems stuck in development hell and, afaik, is not really as battle tested as ZFS is.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Music Theory posted:

btrfs didn't support encryption last time I checked. And hibernation is a terrible mess if you don't use an explict swap partition for it.

Root on zfs for linux is a massive amount of work to setup well. But not necessarily high maintenance.
Btrfs is easy it setup, but it is still annoyingly buggy. Though the bugs it is getting in recent years are unlikely to cause data loss.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I see; thanks.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server have ZFS enabled by default, and they have an option in the installer to use ZFS.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Tons of solid distros are using btrfs as the default install method (with subvolumes for / and home). All the potential data loss "don't use btrfs for mission critical" warnings are in the raid-5 style parity array.

If this is a personal system and the root volume is not going to be a multi-drive redundant array, go with btrfs. It's explicitly supported and seems far less likely to be a problem than ZFS for root. ZFS is a great filesystem and all, but btrfs was pretty much made for that job (and is inferior to ZFS at the things that ZFS is good at).

As a non-expert who didn't do the btrfs default setup, I wish I had. Timeshift seems cool and I can't use it.

VictualSquid posted:

btrfs didn't support encryption last time I checked.

No, but why not use LUKS if you want encryption? Particularly on the root volume, it's not like you want to do folder-by-folder encryption there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

No, but why not use LUKS if you want encryption? Particularly on the root volume, it's not like you want to do folder-by-folder encryption there.

With zfs or a hypothetical finished version of btrfs you can have your encryption within the field system just like your raid. That saves the effort of the extra abstraction layer, and had some marginal performance benefits.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just noticed my mom's xubuntu setup can't move the windows. All other window actions are fine. I saw some stuff about holding alt and that did nothing.

It was not like this at least in 20.04 but I guess one of the upgrades in 22.04 did the old "we should make the UX be like a lovely version of a Mac" and I assume that did this.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Music Theory posted:

OpenZFS is not in the kernel tree and sometimes lags kernel releases by a few weeks. This may or may not be a problem for your root fs where an updated kernel doesn't have a working zfs module, depending on how frequently your distro updates. I decided against it for an Arch install for this reason. Btrfs is stable enough and more for non RAID 5/6 setups.

I heard axes grinding while reading that Ars article when researching root fses. ZFS is a great, trailblazing filesystem and Jeff Bonwick is a personal hero of sorts (he also did the SLAB allocator) who I got to meet on a visit to Sun long ago, but it does have everyday downsides on Linux depending on your distro's release schedule.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Let's be real here, it has downsides on Linux because some lawyer decided to give his unsolicited opinion on GPL being incompatible with CDDL (although of course that's not how he phrased it).

The problem is not OpenZFS, when it can exist and work in Windows, macOS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Illumos, and everything else.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The problem, for sometime contemplating ZFS as their root fs, is that you may not be able to mount it after some kernel updates unless your distro is careful and doesn't release those kernels until OpenZFS has released patches.

All the rest of the convoluted history isn't worth re-litigation.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Even on Arch, you can get your stale kernel from the ZFS repo and things will keep going without breaking probably. Haven't used ZFS there myself yet, but I had to do the same thing for ATI drivers for a while amd it was never an actual problem

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Let's be real here, it has downsides on Linux because some lawyer decided to give his unsolicited opinion on GPL being incompatible with CDDL (although of course that's not how he phrased it).
Has anyone claimed otherwise other than Jörg Schilling? That the CDDL isn't compatible with the GPL isn't surprising. Hell even the GPL (v3) isn't compatible with the GPL (v2).

The GPL has long outlived its usefulness as a license and should only be used for legacy products.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just noticed my mom's xubuntu setup can't move the windows. All other window actions are fine. I saw some stuff about holding alt and that did nothing.

I wanted to expand on this a bit more. Resizing also doesn't work. I found out if I run xfwm4 --replace, it will fix it for that boot but it's back to it's old habits.

I think the upgrade was botched too so maybe it is moot. I remember now that this was not supposed to be XUbuntu but Mint. Well, it is apparently Ubuntu now! I get the jammy jellyfish at the login screen.

I think I may try to move her to xubuntu since I should be able to co-exist that with this setup. Seem reasonable?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Has anyone claimed otherwise other than Jörg Schilling? That the CDDL isn't compatible with the GPL isn't surprising. Hell even the GPL (v3) isn't compatible with the GPL (v2).

The GPL has long outlived its usefulness as a license and should only be used for legacy products.
It's GPL that isn't compatible with CDDL, whereas CDDL is compatible with many other licenses.
Also, Linux is GPLv2, so I don't know why you're bringing up GPLv3.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's GPL that isn't compatible with CDDL, whereas CDDL is compatible with many other licenses.
Also, Linux is GPLv2, so I don't know why you're bringing up GPLv3.

GPL3 is useful as an example of GPL2 being especially incompatible - it doesn't even work with its own successor.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

At least google can't use anything licensed with the agpl

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm trying to install Ubuntu from a USB drive on an old laptop using the limited graphics option but all the install windows are too big to see the continue/back buttons on the bottom, I got to the 'Where are you?" page by just tabbing and hitting enter but I'm stuck here and can't figure out how to proceed. Is there some way to move the window up more so I can see the buttons on the bottom? I've tried alt-left clicking and dragging which was the only suggestion I found by Googling but that didn't help.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just out of curiosity, I guess you've already tried the normal graphics boot? Unless it's a very old laptop it should just work.

Failing that, I guess it's time to see if any of the Ubuntu spins still have a text mode installer...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's not the GPL, but lol at the GNU Free Documentation License being considered non-free by Debian.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mozi posted:

I'm trying to install Ubuntu from a USB drive on an old laptop using the limited graphics option but all the install windows are too big to see the continue/back buttons on the bottom, I got to the 'Where are you?" page by just tabbing and hitting enter but I'm stuck here and can't figure out how to proceed. Is there some way to move the window up more so I can see the buttons on the bottom? I've tried alt-left clicking and dragging which was the only suggestion I found by Googling but that didn't help.
One option is to use the Ubuntu Server installer, which is text mode (and even works over a serial console if you really want), then after installation run "sudo apt-get purge cloud-init; sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" which would basically give you a desktop installation. I think the only real difference is that the server installer might require a wired Ethernet connection, though it might also work with a USB Ethernet adapter.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Is there any easy way to monitor a website for (major) changes? I basically want to be notified once a restock happens ASAP.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

Just out of curiosity, I guess you've already tried the normal graphics boot? Unless it's a very old laptop it should just work.

Failing that, I guess it's time to see if any of the Ubuntu spins still have a text mode installer...

I was doing the old mode because it was hanging on the splash screen otherwise and it is a pretty old laptop with an old Optimus GPU setup (Thinkpad W520) but it turned out the issue was my (brand new) USB drive was somehow defective, switched that and I was able to install normally. Everything was fine until I did updates on logging in for the first time, now when it boots it's just a blinking cursor; pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 I was able to get to a CLI and do what I need to do there but somehow the update messed up the whole graphics bit.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh Optimus. :can:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SEKCobra posted:

Is there any easy way to monitor a website for (major) changes? I basically want to be notified once a restock happens ASAP.

There is a cutthroat competitive industry of people making bots that do this. If you're trying to get shoes or PS5s, know that you'll be competing against people who are intentionally renting dedicated servers physically closest to the places that restocks are known to show up first, and using commercial custom software to buy things as they restock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shoebots/comments/gcd1oy/sneaker_botting_mega_guide/

There's a ton of open source options, but they're all worse than the commercial ones who do all sorts of illegal poo poo to be the first to buy stuff as it restocks.

Here's an open source one: https://github.com/polarcop/polarcop_discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Maybe it is just me, but Ubuntu is becoming really annoying.

I don't like Netplan, Snap, the whole cloud init stuff. Why does this all feel terribly finicky and brittle?