Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Who wants to take bets on the construction company being run by the mob and using sandy concrete or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Who wants to take bets on the construction company being run by the mob and using sandy concrete or something?

The bridge is almost 60 years old. poo poo like this is gonna happen. Remember that the next time you're on a bridge.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Up to 35 now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

schmug posted:

The bridge is almost 60 years old. poo poo like this is gonna happen. Remember that the next time you're on a bridge.

I'll worry about that in a country that has a poor track record of maintaining infrastructure. Like Italy, or the US.

schmug
May 20, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I'll worry about that in a country that has a poor track record of maintaining infrastructure. Like Italy, or the US.

yeah those drat Italians need to get with the picture.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

schmug posted:

yeah those drat Italians need to get with the picture.

You know the ones that are left are just the ones that didn't collapse right?

schmug
May 20, 2007

spankmeister posted:

:tinfoil:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Look, the mob is a professional outfit and would never cut corners to the extent that the bridge collapses after only 60 years.

They're good for 62, 63 at least.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

spankmeister posted:

Yet

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Preoptopus posted:

A version of this poo poo happened for real in this long but amazing article about the open sea recovery of a car transport ship.
https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/
The whole thing is OSHA AF

That article is incredible.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Mozi posted:

Look, the mob is a professional outfit and would never cut corners to the extent that the bridge collapses after only 60 years.

They're good for 62, 63 at least.

Listen, when dealing with the mob you better know a thing or two about life expectancy.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Zipperelli. posted:

I really don't remember a lot of it, but I do remember sliding on the box's right side because we were hit from the left. We were running code with a STEMI alert, and the idiot who hit us just wasn't paying attention. Speeding and careless.

I do remember being folded up around the bench seat and cabinet, again, with the box on its side. Our patient was stuck strapped into the stretcher on its side because we actually did a p.decent job packaging him. It was more difficult getting him out than anything. That and trying to provide care and making sure he and my partner were both ok.

poo poo dude thats crazy. I'm always noting how bad of a job we do at strapping patients in. 2-3 belts across the body tops. Nobody ever uses the shoulder straps.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MillennialVulcan posted:

Looks like this video was taken while the collapse was already in progress, but certainly looks like there was lightning in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs3nvzt5qY8

"The collapse is probably due to a structural failure of the bridge."

I love when people confuse "synonymous with" and "because of."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'After many months of investigation by top experts, this panel concludes that the cause of the bridge collapse is that it fell down.'

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Safety is job 2.

schmug
May 20, 2007

The bridge had problems that were incompatible with standing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The boat sank because it became filled with water.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The boat sank because it became filled with water.

It lost buoyancy.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Shifty Nipples posted:

It lost buoyancy.

its buoyancy was reduced by external hydration

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Back in the 60s Italy built a dam that caused a tsunami to destroy a mountain town.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The bottom fell off.

schmug
May 20, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

Back in the 60s Italy built a dam that caused a tsunami to destroy a mountain town.

But the dam held, damnit!

Wikipedia posted:

The Vajont Dam as seen from the village of Longarone in 2005, showing approximately the top 60–70 metres of concrete. The wall of water that overtopped the dam by 250 metres would have obscured virtually all of the blue sky in this photo.[1]

drat!

schmug fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 14, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

schmug posted:

The bridge had problems that were incompatible with standing.

An aerially-suspended roadwork was involved in a collapse-inducing incident

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

That article is incredible.

Yes it was!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

C.M. Kruger posted:

It resulted in an 820 foot tall wave that basically wiped out the valley below. Then investigation was a huge shitshow:

Causes and responsibility
Immediately after the disaster, the government (which at the time owned the dam), politicians and public authorities insisted on attributing the tragedy to an unexpected and unavoidable natural event.[citation needed]

The debate in the newspapers was heavily influenced by politics. The paper l'Unità, the mouthpiece of the Partito Comunista Italiano (PCI), was the first to denounce the actions of the management and government, as it had previously carried a number of articles by Tina Merlin (it) addressing the behaviour of the SADE management in the Vajont project and elsewhere. Indro Montanelli, then the most influential Italian journalist and a vocal anti-communist, attacked l'Unità and denied any human responsibility; l'Unità and the PCI were dubbed "jackals, speculating on pain and on the dead" in many articles by the Domenica del Corriere and a national campaign poster paid for by Democrazia Cristiana (DC). The catastrophe was attributed only to natural causes and "God's will".[13]

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It resulted in an 820 foot tall wave that basically wiped out the valley below. Then investigation was a huge shitshow:

Immediately after the disaster, the government (which at the time owned the dam), politicians and public authorities insisted on attributing the tragedy to an unexpected and unavoidable natural event.[citation needed]

The debate in the newspapers was heavily influenced by politics. The paper l'Unità, the mouthpiece of the Partito Comunista Italiano (PCI), was the first to denounce the actions of the management and government, as it had previously carried a number of articles by Tina Merlin (it) addressing the behaviour of the SADE management in the Vajont project and elsewhere. Indro Montanelli, then the most influential Italian journalist and a vocal anti-communist, attacked l'Unità and denied any human responsibility; l'Unità and the PCI were dubbed "jackals, speculating on pain and on the dead" in many articles by the Domenica del Corriere and a national campaign poster paid for by Democrazia Cristiana (DC). The catastrophe was attributed only to natural causes and "God's will".[13]

Man, it really sucks the one or two times a century when it turns out the commies had one right

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

quote:

After the initial worldwide reporting, the tragedy became regarded as part of the price of economic growth in the 1950s and 1960s.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :capitalism:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

35 dead in gravity involved bridge collapse

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

God hates dams

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Preoptopus posted:

A version of this poo poo happened for real in this long but amazing article about the open sea recovery of a car transport ship.

Seriously, everyone should read this, it's bonkers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :capitalism:
I've got bad news for you about :ussr: buddy

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

glynnenstein posted:

Well, did the earthquakes stop?

Only after they started using sheeps bladders.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Kibayasu posted:

The bottom fell off.

Not enough recognition for this one :D

schmug
May 20, 2007

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

because it wasn't clever or funny :yarg:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I've got bad news for you about :ussr: buddy

isotope-sealing bread dough.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreev_Bay_nuclear_accident

quote:

The repository was constructed in the early 1960s by construction brigade soldiers from central Asian and Caucasian republics. Many did not have professional construction training, and some could not speak the Russian language.

quote:

The right-hand pool in building #5 started leaking in February 1982. Finding cracks in the metal coating required diving into the pool, which was out of the question due to the gamma radiation levels in the vicinity of the nuclear waste drums reaching 17,000 R/h. An attempt to eliminate the leak was made by pouring in with 20 sacks of flour, thus filling the cracks with dough. However, the leak continued, and the service personnel discovered icing on the right side of the building. The method was clearly ineffective.

quote:

When building #5's repository was designed, it was assumed that the water would be kept at a constant temperature by heat from the nuclear assemblies suspended under the surface. A separate water heating system was thus deemed unnecessary. But the designers were wrong, the harsh Arctic climate covered the pool's surface with a 20 cm (7.9 in) layer of ice in winter. In order to solve this problem, the ice was melted using steam from the boiler, in blatant violation of radiation safety protocol. This was accomplished in the following manner: a hole was drilled in the ice cover, a pipe was inserted into the hole, and steam was pumped through the pipe under the ice, melting it. Radioactive aerosols spread through the whole building, leaking into the air outside.

quote:

After the left-hand pool was covered with protective lids, cleanup workers cut windows inside them with torches in order to feed in a capturing device that lifted drums from the bottom. The windows were covered with iron sheets to protect the workers from radiation and prevent them from falling in. During this work, one of the workers, a starshina 1st stage, inadvertently stepped onto an iron sheet covering one of the windows. The sheet failed to support his weight, and they both fell into the pool's radioactive water. As the worker fell, his legs got caught under some nuclear waste drums, and the water splashed onto the others, who also did not have radiation protection equipment.

[...]

A moment later, another worker, a starshina 2nd stage, heroically jumped into the pool to save his comrade's life. A few seconds later they both surfaced, completely soaked in radioactive water. Witnesses say their faces had expressions of utter terror.

The first worker himself remembers:

"In that moment, I thought I was in Hell. When I found myself submerged in radioactive water, and my legs were caught by death ray-emitting drums, death's hot embrace enveloped my body and began to pull my consciousness into a warm daze, in that moment I thought I was only 20 years old and I did not want to die. Just then, my friend and savior Semenov, risking his own life, freed my legs from under the nuclear waste drums, and we emerged at the pool's surface. "

schmug
May 20, 2007

holy poo poo they lived?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously, everyone should read this, it's bonkers.

It's unrelated to OSHA stuff, but the same writer also wrote this:
https://www.wired.com/2009/03/ff-diamonds-2/?currentPage=all

He's a really good writer, and apparently both articles were optioned for movies but I can't find anything further so I guess they aren't being made.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

spankmeister posted:

We'll just have to see how much of the poo poo we build today is still around in 2000 years

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
That bridge was a piece of poo poo since the beginning. It cost several times more in repairings than if it was demolished right after being built.
The problem is it was ALL made in concrete, suspenders cables and all. Not soon after being built it was agreed that it was a wonderful feat of static masturbation, but ultimately concrete suspenders cables are responsible for the huge maintenance costs and ultimately what hosed it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

I would not go aboard that ship, even if it had 4703 new Mazdas on it.