Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Upon further consideration, the real barbecue crime is referring to a grill as a barbecue. Yeah, lookin at you, Canada.

Gaius Marius posted:

Cold potatoes are absolutely disgusting

My stepdad likes to just take bites out of raw potatoes. I like potato salad but just a cold or room temperature raw potato? aaaaahhhhhhhhh

apple texture, dirt taste

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Robobot posted:

People who claim to like soft corn tortillas more than flour are just lying to themselves. The correct ranking of taco wrappings is:

1. flour tortilla
2. hard shell
3. lettuce instead of a tortilla
4. scraping the taco fillin's off the corn tortilla and eating them with a fork while your friends stare at you
5. floppy gross rear end instantly deteriorating corn tortilla

tell me youre from the midwest without telling me youre from the midwest

garbage opinion and garbage list because it doesnt include fried corn tortillas

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There is absolutely nothing wrong with peeling and just eating a potato all by itself. They’re basically dirts apples.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

oldpainless posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with peeling and just eating a potato all by itself. They’re basically dirts apples.

Or as the French say, pomme de terre - literally “apple of earth.”

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Robobot posted:

Grilling makes everything taste better. I'd eat a cinder block if it was grilled and tossed on a paper plate with potato salad.

I spent my covid bucks on a natural gas bbq, and everything I cook is done on it. I haven't touched my stove in 2 months.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My stepdad likes to just take bites out of raw potatoes. I like potato salad but just a cold or room temperature raw potato? aaaaahhhhhhhhh

apple texture, dirt taste

My friends Sister used to just eat Raw Potatoes, now she spends all day posting Q poo poo on Facebook, coincidence? Maybe.

PHUO: Raw Onions are pretty good, eating them like apples is acceptable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

PHUO: Raw Onions are pretty good, eating them like apples is acceptable.

I love raw onion. Though I usually slice it up when I’m eating it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Onions taste better cooked.

Sometimes I worry that our view of what "mental health" even is is based on idealisations that will never be, and never were, normal for society.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Aug 7, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Josef bugman posted:

Onions taste better cooked.

I love cooked onions and used to put them in everything, a lot. FODMAP doesn't allow it, but you make do.

Josef bugman posted:

Sometimes I worry that our view of what "mental health" even is is based on idealisations that will never be, and never were, normal for society and that a lot of our fondest dreams about what we can be will be thwarted by what we are.

That's a very convoluted sentence but I can say that I used to feel like poo poo and had what I'd call "mental health" problems, and no longer do, and there is a difference.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

doverhog posted:

I love cooked onions and used to put them in everything, a lot. FODMAP doesn't allow it, but you make do.

That's a very convoluted sentence but I can say that I used to feel like poo poo and had what I'd call "mental health" problems, and no longer do, and there is a difference.

I really dislike things like FODMAP, if only for the totalising nature of them. Though I probably should try and use things like it more.

Changed my statement a bit, but to summarise I don't know if "good" mental health has ever actually been common in most societies. And if it isn't common, then how real is it in the first place?

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Aug 7, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I disagree that it isn't common, but even if it's uncommon, there are plenty of real things that aren't common. It's not common to die from a piano falling on your head, but if I see someone die from a piano falling on their head i'm not going to say "that's not real, how real can it be when this almost never happens?"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I disagree that it isn't common, but even if it's uncommon, there are plenty of real things that aren't common. It's not common to die from a piano falling on your head, but if I see someone die from a piano falling on their head i'm not going to say "that's not real, how real can it be when this almost never happens?"

But our definition of what a "healthy behaviour" is is so much more tied up in culture and place and class than something verifiable like "falling piano".

Say I'm a Qing dynasty bureaucrat and my father dies and I want to continue to work instead of stopping for months or years. That is culturally unacceptable because it means that you are ignoring your filial obligations. Is that acceptable as the correct way to approach parental death?

In much the same way things that we think of as "mentally healthy" may well turn out to be less so in the long term. But how can we judge that outside of the society in which we exist.

Robobot posted:

Sounds kinda like you're going through some stuff and I hope you feel better.

Feel better Joey Bugs!

Thank you! Keep safe!

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Aug 7, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Feel better Joey Bugs!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
March on, brave Dawi. March on.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Robobot posted:

Feel better Joey Bugs!

Your opinions about tacos are criminal.

You seem nice though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Cold potatoes are absolutely disgusting

If someone serves me potato salad, I consider it an insult.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
It is acceptable to eat a meat pie with a knife and fork.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Captain Monkey posted:

Your opinions about tacos are criminal.

You seem nice though.

There's a reason why I posted my taco shell opinions in the "Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Opinion" thread. I know I'm on the losing end of the taco shell wars, but by god I will stand for Flour Power.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Long hair on guys is immensely cuter than short, or worse, an undercut with a long top like is fashionable today. Gimme an Aragorn lookin dude.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Long hair on guys is immensely cuter than short, or worse, an undercut with a long top like is fashionable today. Gimme an Aragorn lookin dude.

Long hair is cool, but mine grows out instead of down. Guys like me are massively underrepresented in Fantasy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Uhm Goku?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

Long hair is cool, but mine grows out instead of down. Guys like me are massively underrepresented in Fantasy.

No we show up, but we're invariably tall, skinny Spike Spiegel-looking motherfuckers.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bargearse posted:

It is acceptable to eat a meat pie with a knife and fork.

You, sir, are a disgrace to your avatar. May you crash into a giant Pollywaffle.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you have good hair, sure. My hair is fine, so the longer it gets, the skeevier I look. I have a passport photo from my twenties which makes me look like either a meth addict or a sex offender.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: yes the british imperial system is dumb and arbitrary, but it's vastly more dumb that "lol murricans" is the thing when using a single system for all everyday uses is better than a mix. In anglo Canada you measure your height in feet and inches but a distance is kilometres, temperature on an oven is fahrenheit but the outdoors is celsius, food comes in grams but everything else is pounds- that's vastly more baffling and illogical than in the US. People, often americans themselves who can't fathom the actual distance a kilometre is but self-loathe into American Exceptionalism But It's Bad, I'm The Only Smart American, need to get over it. Exactly one failed satellite crashing because two idiots couldn't read "in" or "cm" before sending it into space does not mean most of the US population is getting into accidents constantly because no one can comprehend converting pints into gallons.

The pyramids were built to exacting mathematical specifications while measuring units in "eh, roughly an average guy's wingspan"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Canada is stuck like that because americans refuse to stop using outdated measurements.

Fun fact, there is no such thing as a foot or an pound. There are scientific defined measurements for meter and kilogram, and then you put them through a converter to get the imperial version.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Britain does it too. People will blame Americans for everything it's ridiculous. Do you think america also forced Japan to keep the Japanese dating system based of the reign of the emperor?
Or keep the jewelry industry using Carats?
Or people measuring poo poo in football pitches, or football fields. People will use whatever is most convenient for their everyday lives. Everything else is secondary.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Canada is stuck like that because americans refuse to stop using outdated measurements.

Fun fact, there is no such thing as a foot or an pound. There are scientific defined measurements for meter and kilogram, and then you put them through a converter to get the imperial version.

What? A yard is defined and an inch is 1/36th of it. At least that's what I was lead to understand.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Robobot posted:

What? A yard is defined and an inch is 1/36th of it. At least that's what I was lead to understand.

The legally binding, scientifically derived measurement of an inch is 2.54 cm. A cm is 1/100 of a meter, which is the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299 792 458 of a second.

The inch, and all other imperial measurements are derived from converting metric units to imperial.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
What lead them to decide on 1/299,792,458 of a second? Seems even more arbitrary than using some dude's foot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The meter was created before we could measure such things. They just backported the old measurement onto a theoretically absolute standard to make it consistent

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Robobot posted:

What lead them to decide on 1/299,792,458 of a second? Seems even more arbitrary than using some dude's foot.

The tl;dr of it is we want people anywhere at any time to be able to accurately measure a meter, without having to bring a pre-calibrated meterstick with them. So some dude defined the meter as a ten-millionth the distance from the north pole to the equator, thus you could accurately calibrate a meter with some math. But since the earth is lumpy, it wasn't too useful. So they did a light-based measurement that was supposed to match the previous one.

Edit: and I'm sure they wanted it to be 1/300,000,000th of a second, but more accurate measuring devices eventually made that wrong.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Aug 9, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That's what I figured. Seemed to be a way of precisely defining an already existing measurement. Thanks for the explanation!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The legally binding, scientifically derived measurement of an inch is 2.54 cm. A cm is 1/100 of a meter, which is the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299 792 458 of a second.

The inch, and all other imperial measurements are derived from converting metric units to imperial.

So what you're saying is that an inch also corresponds to the length of the path travelled [sic] by light in a vacuum, just in a slightly different time than the one you have memorized. But that doesn't count because you haven't memorized that fraction of a second.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It would be really funny if an inch turned out to be exactly 1/1,000,000,000 of a second or whatever.

edit:
Follow up question since I'm finding these measurement things interesting, what determined a second?

Robobot has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Aug 9, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weird that a decimal system designed by french revolutionaries two hundred years ago is "real" and rational, except for the ten day week, which makes no sense. It's also idiotic to start the year in autumn. Don't even get me started on each month having the same number of days. I also, to be clear, reject french counting, because the system falls apart when it becomes different from the thing I grew up with. What the hell is a quatre-vingt-dix-neuf? You must only leave base ten when I understand the different system. The french revolutionaries were so close but some arbitrary traditional measures make sense.

More realistically, I've been to a lot of, for example, gyms in the US, Canada, and Mexico. There's a tiny handful of barbell plate manufacturers that sell to most in all. The plates have both pounds and kilos. These are from US companies and manufactured in the US.

In Mexico and Québec, people use kilos. In the US and the rest of Canada, people use pounds. That ain't the US. There's no US chads who will come scream at you you to use murrican only if you say you bench 85 kilos at 1.9m in a Goodlife in Kingston, ON.

e: to be fair there are probably people fantasizing about doing so, but they're busy either bombing other countries, running for office, or being too terrified to leave their suburb to really care if anglo canadians use metric. Anglo canadians use pounds because canadian english has always used pounds and there is no incentive to change.

fun fact: canadian english only adopted UK spelling in the 90s. That had nothing to do with US imperialism, it's people mostly used the same spelling as people right next to them with identical language, accent, spelling, history, and slang on the wrong side of a border

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Aug 9, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Robobot posted:

Follow up question since I'm finding these measurement things interesting, what determined a second?

A second is officially defined as "the amount of time it takes you to say 'one mississippi'".

But seriously, it's a particular count of vibrations of a cesium atom under such-and-such conditions, wikipedia will have all the details

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don't even get me started on each month having the same number of days.

Dividing the Months into equal parts is one really interesting idea that never became widely adopted, Except with the International Fixed Calendar. Which was adopted, and apparently widely loved by, the Kodak Corporations for decades. It turns out Accounting becomes much much easier when every month is the same length. The Futility Closet Episode on it is very interesting.

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2014/03/17/podcast/
It's also apparently the first episode of the Pod

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

So what you're saying is that an inch also corresponds to the length of the path travelled [sic] by light in a vacuum, just in a slightly different time than the one you have memorized. But that doesn't count because you haven't memorized that fraction of a second.

Yeah, but the international measurement standards community recognize an inch as X meters, not distance light travels in Y time.

Practically, they're the same, but it's just mildly amusing that imperial is just a filter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to be that Pedantic, then I can be pedantic enough to point out the US doesn't use Imperial. It uses US Customary Units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm now picturing a National Treasure or Da Vinci Code-style caper where Our Hero goes through an increasingly convoluted series of clues and faces the elite Metric Ninjas to discover the horrible truth: that the Secret Codex of Measurement defines an inch as 2.54 centimeters and a centimeter as 1/2.54 inches and NOTHING MEANS ANYTHING.