Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Twerk from Home posted:

There is a cutthroat competitive industry of people making bots that do this. If you're trying to get shoes or PS5s, know that you'll be competing against people who are intentionally renting dedicated servers physically closest to the places that restocks are known to show up first, and using commercial custom software to buy things as they restock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shoebots/comments/gcd1oy/sneaker_botting_mega_guide/

There's a ton of open source options, but they're all worse than the commercial ones who do all sorts of illegal poo poo to be the first to buy stuff as it restocks.

Here's an open source one: https://github.com/polarcop/polarcop_discord

Oh no that's OK, it's nothing high demand, but rather niche. I just don't want to keep going to the site(s) hoping to catch the day they restock. That's something a robot can do. For now I have implemented a web check in zabbix to monitor for the "sorry out of stock" text and notify me if it disappears. But that doesn't work for every case I was thinking of.
No need to snipe a purchase or anything crazy like that, I expect there to be an opening for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That link was great. It’s almost like high frequency trading, except for Air Jordans.

E: For an actual contribution, have you considered requests/beautifulsoup in Python? Not that familiar with Zabbix but beautifulsoup will make the web scraping part suck less.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 21, 2022

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Oh no that's OK, it's nothing high demand, but rather niche. I just don't want to keep going to the site(s) hoping to catch the day they restock. That's something a robot can do. For now I have implemented a web check in zabbix to monitor for the "sorry out of stock" text and notify me if it disappears. But that doesn't work for every case I was thinking of.
No need to snipe a purchase or anything crazy like that, I expect there to be an opening for a few days.

https://distill.io/ is what I've used for this

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TwoDice posted:

https://distill.io/ is what I've used for this

I might just have to do something like that, I was hoping there was an easy selfhost solution, but it doesn't really seem like it. One of the things I am trying to monitor is the Factorio Merch store (https://www.factorio.com/store) and they use ugly JavaScript so implementing that is a nightmare.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SEKCobra posted:

I might just have to do something like that, I was hoping there was an easy selfhost solution, but it doesn't really seem like it. One of the things I am trying to monitor is the Factorio Merch store (https://www.factorio.com/store) and they use ugly JavaScript so implementing that is a nightmare.

Changedetection.io is FOSS and self-hostable.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

I'm like 80% sure their chrome extension runs entirely locally but I haven't checked recently.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Having an increasing number of Linux VMs to play with, I decided to try setting up a domain controller (probably overkill for a one person setup...). I briefly considered using Samba-DC but went the route of FreeIPA. Having once inherited a linux facility at work that used YP/NIS, something that always seemed to be unreliably black magic, I've been impressed with how easy it was to get up and working.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Pablo Bluth posted:

Having an increasing number of Linux VMs to play with, I decided to try setting up a domain controller (probably overkill for a one person setup...). I briefly considered using Samba-DC but went the route of FreeIPA. Having once inherited a linux facility at work that used YP/NIS, something that always seemed to be unreliably black magic, I've been impressed with how easy it was to get up and working.

Don't worry. Once you get into troubleshooting multi-master replication failures you'll be firmly back in black magic territory

(kidding aside, it's a pretty great project)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

This is for the various Linux machines/vm around my house. It's complete overkill and I expect to only ever use the bare minimum of it's functionality so should avoid most of the complexy. (Just the one domain server, two or three defined users, sudo permission for some accounts, nothing more.)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I have a problem with Wireguard and I can't seem to fix it.

I have serverA -> gwA -> switch <- gwB <- serverB for testing purposes. GwA is a wireguard server and gets a connection from GwB, it routes the complete network that serverB is also on. This works fine for Iperf; I did some tests and it gets 500 MBytes a second between serverA and serverB over the tunnel.

The problem is that SSH connections die over this tunnel. If I "cat" something it just drops out. Like this: ssh receiver cat /dev/zero | pv | cat > /dev/null. It starts at 56MB goes to 111 and then just drops to 0.0.
I am thinking that it is a MTU problem but I've already changed everything to an MTU of 1280 and it does not seem to make a difference. So both wg0 interface are running an MTU of 1280.
Servers are both Ubuntu, gateways are OpenBSD 7.1 running on KVM on the servers themselves with a network card that is passed through from the host.

Any pointers?

Edit: I figured it out. there was still an old IP on my bridge configuration on server2. So a part of the traffic would go over the tunnel and some of it would go over the switch itself because of missing routing information. Removed the offending IP address and added a route on gwB and it all works. Only took a couple of hours :)

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 22, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a question about grub that I'm not able to google the answer to: Can grub write to a mdadm or llvm drive from grub.cfg?

That is, if in grub.cfg I call save_env somevar and grubenv is on a mdadm or llvm partition currently it fails. Is there something I can do to make it succeed? It seems that just insmod mdraid1x doesn't do the trick, is there something else?

Volguus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 22, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Does anyone know a good free way to push notifications to an Android phone from a linux script? I currently just send an email which isn't too bad other than the usual vagaries around delivery speed, but I wondered if there was something a bit more 'in your face'.

There doesn't seem to be an official Android/Google API. I considered using Signal but the ecosystem seems a bit messy, incomplete and badly maintained. Nothing in the playstore jumped out at me a good and free.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Pablo Bluth posted:

Does anyone know a good free way to push notifications to an Android phone from a linux script? I currently just send an email which isn't too bad other than the usual vagaries around delivery speed, but I wondered if there was something a bit more 'in your face'.

There doesn't seem to be an official Android/Google API. I considered using Signal but the ecosystem seems a bit messy, incomplete and badly maintained. Nothing in the playstore jumped out at me a good and free.

Telegram is hands down the easiest way to get instant notifications onto an android with a very easy web API. Just create a bot and you can literally just use a curl command.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pablo Bluth posted:

IFTTT webhooks will work for free. But if it's worth spending any money at all a one-time $5 for https://pushover.net/ is cheaper and easier than IFTTT subscription.

(Also if this is a desktop, and you use KDE, and you only need this to work when connected to the same network as your PC / maintain a VPN connection, KDE Connect can pop notifications to a phone. Only mentioning it because it would be the easiest setup, and doesn't rely on other services.)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's for scripts running on various Linux servers to notify me if stuff happens. I hadn't realised Pushover was that cheap so I'll probably go with that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

This is for the various Linux machines/vm around my house. It's complete overkill and I expect to only ever use the bare minimum of it's functionality so should avoid most of the complexy. (Just the one domain server, two or three defined users, sudo permission for some accounts, nothing more.)
NFS is better than the SMB protocol in almost every way, especially with NFSv4 and its new ACLs.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I was only looking at Samba for it's implementation of Active Directory, but that seems incomplete and unsupported on redhat/alma which I'm using for the base os.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Kind of going back here:

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Maybe it is just me, but Ubuntu is becoming really annoying.

I don't like Netplan, Snap, the whole cloud init stuff. Why does this all feel terribly finicky and brittle?

I get some of these vibes and I'm trying to make sure it isn't a simple "just getting old" kind of thing. In my case, I'm trying to integrate some Rust packaging into a Debian distribution at work. Rust's cargo tool normally wants to resolve dependencies from github repositories and constantly hit the network, where I need an offline compilation using pre-installed, expressed dependencies. What a chore this has turned out to be!

I'm hoping all this Software Bill of Materials and SLSA compliance stuff will have a side effect of increasing general robustness. Sure, they are paranoid about supply-chain attacks, but maybe it'll help us determine when a dependency is just plain poo poo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I find netplan useful, it's helpful to be able to describe the properties of a network bridge in a single YAML file instead of spread across four different systemd config files.

Snap is, OK? I'm bothered by Snapcraft being proprietary. I'm also bothered that LXD is an install dependency for Ubuntu Server but also only available as a snap. There's just some environments where snap's forced updates won't fly, and in those environments I have to purge snapd and not use LXD.

Cloud-init has its place for bootstrapping AWS instances and all, but again I think it being a dependency of an Ubuntu Server install goes too far and I purge it there too. Even on AWS I recently had to migrate an instance and cloud-init took it upon itself to blow away the existing ssh keys.

Canonical figured out they can make money convincing folks they can use Ubuntu in their data center to build their own AWS or whatever, so they're going to invest in technologies that provide a value add for using Ubuntu. That doesn't mean the technologies themselves aren't worthwhile in their own right, but there's a lot of throat shoving for sure.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.
I have a question about the OP: I noticed that in the OP a lot of distros we're mentioned.
Debian, Ubtunu, Gentoo, etc etc but there's no mention of Arch Linux? Do goons just not like arch or is the thread just so old that Arch wasn't around yet. I run arch on my main laptop as a daily driver but I have Gentoo on my desktop. Truthfully though I haven't done my home work in the history of arch (or any distro actually now that I come to think of it.) So, come to think of it I actually don't know how old arch is. Is there any reason there's no mention of Arch in the OP or is it just an over sight?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Well the OP is from 2007 and hasn't been edited. Isn't the standard practice to ignore the first page on all megathreads since they're all woefully out of date.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
As I remember it, arch became the new Gentoo around 10 years ago. You can't expect us to keep up with such speed?

Actually, what is the consensus beginner distro right now? Last time I looked it up it was still Ubuntu, but everything I heard about them recently had been bad.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I find netplan useful, it's helpful to be able to describe the properties of a network bridge in a single YAML file instead of spread across four different systemd config files.

Snap is, OK? I'm bothered by Snapcraft being proprietary. I'm also bothered that LXD is an install dependency for Ubuntu Server but also only available as a snap. There's just some environments where snap's forced updates won't fly, and in those environments I have to purge snapd and not use LXD.

Cloud-init has its place for bootstrapping AWS instances and all, but again I think it being a dependency of an Ubuntu Server install goes too far and I purge it there too. Even on AWS I recently had to migrate an instance and cloud-init took it upon itself to blow away the existing ssh keys.

Canonical figured out they can make money convincing folks they can use Ubuntu in their data center to build their own AWS or whatever, so they're going to invest in technologies that provide a value add for using Ubuntu. That doesn't mean the technologies themselves aren't worthwhile in their own right, but there's a lot of throat shoving for sure.

Snap seems convoluted with all the mounts and permissions weirdness. I like appimage, that seems really simple. Download, chmod +x and done. To be honest I like apt the best.
I used to just use the interfaces file.... I don't know. Creating a bridge is just really simple with the interfaces file. You have one file for the resolver and one file for the network cards. I like BSD even better: hostname.if

I don't know, maybe I am getting old, but it seems like a lot of the stuff are just answers for questions no one ever really asked.

I've been playing with ZFS send and receive, now that is something that just feels really well thought out. You create a send pipe and you are free to do with as you please. want a gzip? Other filesystem on another host? External disk?

VictualSquid posted:

As I remember it, arch became the new Gentoo around 10 years ago. You can't expect us to keep up with such speed?

Actually, what is the consensus beginner distro right now? Last time I looked it up it was still Ubuntu, but everything I heard about them recently had been bad.

Mint or Debian?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Mint for sure. It largely just works on everything I've thrown it on. PopOS would also be up there.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Pop! Is pretty great and I like system 76 for what they do, but I kind of wish they'd have gone with Debian as their source instead of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is basically "Debian + Canonical's Vision", and then pop is "Ubuntu, but like, without Canonical's muckups".

Edit: I haven't had much chance to try mint yet, I've been on Ubuntu for 14 years or so. Shoved mint on my work laptop last year but have been stuck in a Windows project so haven't given it much time yet.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 24, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Phosphine posted:

"Ubuntu, but like, without Canonical's muckups".

Which is kinda funny cuz that's how I see Mint.

Though, LMDE exists and I like that idea so much more. I'm all about Debian and I think it's a good recommendation when people specifically say "I am new and want to learn Linux. Because you might have to, you're gonna have to probably check the wiki to get your wifi working with some firmware from the nonfree repo. But it will still all probably work and be stable at least.

But if someone just wants something that works and they don't really care about learning anything, Mint just seems like the right place to be.

I dunno the goon perception of Arch, but I dont like the AUR in Arch for the same reason I don't like PPAs in Ubuntu, you put all that trust in what? Just some dude? At least with Debian there's some kind of trust. But yeah whatever you get bleeding edge packages I guess.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I gave Linux a chance on my HTPC, and unsurprisingly it took less than half a year before it broke in some fashion I couldn't fix, even after completely wiping the userprofile as a last-ditch effort.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

VictualSquid posted:

I got into Linux around 6 years ago and I started with mint. Everything in the last few years I've heard about Ubtunu hasn't been positive. When I started getting into linux every one I talked to recommended me mint. My experience with mint was really positive. The GUI was familiar and I just started tinkering with the terminal which lead me to get into arch and Gentoo. I tinkered with Ubtunu way back in 2010-2011 but I dropped it because gnome is akward to people who grew up on windows XP, lol.

But, nah, I don't expect people to keep up or anything. Just curious. The mods could possibly edit Op's, but, I'm not familiar enough with the site to know if that's possible or even worth it. I've known about SA since like 2004 but never did join, so, I'm new. Just kind of getting the feel for things. You know?

Cumdog Millionaire fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 24, 2022

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I gave Linux a chance on my HTPC, and unsurprisingly it took less than half a year before it broke in some fashion I couldn't fix, even after completely wiping the userprofile as a last-ditch effort.

Sounds more like user error than anything, but I'm sure there's a Kodi port you can use instead. :)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think the main advantage of going something Ubuntu based is that there's usually fairly up to date Ubuntu guides for everything and it's just a bit easier having it as the base. I still use debian on my servers but I've not tried running a desktop with it for quite some time.

I've heard Arch also has great documentation and is probably a good 'learn linux' starting point too but I've never given it a go.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fedora is typically solid and easy to install and live with, too - it seems to benefit from a fair bit of "this should just work"-testing. Though upgrades between versions can still be a little bit risky.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fwiw my switch to Linux started with kubuntu and my experience was altogether pretty good. I think kde is awesome, especially for someone coming from Windows.

For as much hate as snaps get, you can just install flatpak and... not use them.

Also makes some things like using proprietary Nvidia drivers with secure boot much easier than they might otherwise be, and on mature hardware it was very stable. I think at least some of the negative reactions Ubuntu gets as a distro for new users are overblown.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Keito posted:

Sounds more like user error than anything, but I'm sure there's a Kodi port you can use instead. :)
I'm not aware of having done anything to it, but of course I can't prove that either - not without ZFS, and if it was using ZFS, I could simply diff two snapshots from when it was working and after it broke.
That'd mean I wouldn't be complaining about it breaking though - because I could've fixed it, or simply reverted to a previous boot environment where it was working.

Maybe the mistake is mine, but I feel like it isn't. If I gently caress up, it tends to be in ways that lead to that sinking feeling of "Oh poo poo..", which is also made better by ZFS. ;)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

Fwiw my switch to Linux started with kubuntu and my experience was altogether pretty good. I think kde is awesome, especially for someone coming from Windows.

For as much hate as snaps get, you can just install flatpak and... not use them.

Also makes some things like using proprietary Nvidia drivers with secure boot much easier than they might otherwise be, and on mature hardware it was very stable. I think at least some of the negative reactions Ubuntu gets as a distro for new users are overblown.

I am running KDE on Ubuntu right now and I really like it. It is really stable and KDE comes with some nice tools.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Aware posted:

I've heard Arch also has great documentation and is probably a good 'learn linux' starting point too but I've never given it a go.

Arch is a very good 'learn linux' distro is a very specific way I guess?

It's been working great for me! (I was a pretty expert troubleshooter and OS-wrangler before starting. I would not recommend it to anyone who isn't already pretty technically competent and capable of understanding stuff in the arch wiki, not just following instructions.)

VorpalFish posted:

I think at least some of the negative reactions Ubuntu gets as a distro for new users are overblown.

I think it's more just Ubuntu-on-desktop has a negative reaction as a whole these days, rather than specifically for new users.

If the community is trying to steer newcomers away from Ubuntu, they're probably thinking along the lines of "the default install is all Snaps so your firefox takes 20 seconds to launch, this will give a bad impression about linux as a whole" rather than information resources & guides.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Gainax posted:

I have a question about the OP: I noticed that in the OP a lot of distros we're mentioned.
Debian, Ubtunu, Gentoo, etc etc but there's no mention of Arch Linux? Do goons just not like arch or is the thread just so old that Arch wasn't around yet. I run arch on my main laptop as a daily driver but I have Gentoo on my desktop. Truthfully though I haven't done my home work in the history of arch (or any distro actually now that I come to think of it.) So, come to think of it I actually don't know how old arch is. Is there any reason there's no mention of Arch in the OP or is it just an over sight?

My experience with Arch was that even when following the wiki, it was really hard to determine the actually complete list of packages that I needed to install to have a functioning system after a reboot. After going back to the installer repeatedly to add just the DHCP client or the wireless driver or whatever and then finding after yet another reboot that I needed something else just to get on the network, I gave up on it. I'm sure this is at least partly my fault and it's a great base to work with (see SteamOS) but if someone said they wanted to run Arch and asked me for tips I'd tell them to look at Manjaro.

I think Ubuntu and Fedora are both pretty great starts for desktop/laptop use, but I have a lot of tolerance for a bit of performance loss in favor of a feature-complete base with packages and documentation readily available.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 24, 2022

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

VorpalFish posted:

Frankly finding out years later that they included the Amazon web app into default builds of the distro is what killed Ubtunu for me. I've heard people say that they were sending user data to Amazon as well through this service but that always came down to more as speculation to me, though, it wouldn't come as a surprise if they were because of how these applications function to generate targeted advertisment. But even if not as a principal and as a concept for what free and open source software is, or even just open source, for me, that seems pretty egregious.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In my experience, the strongest argument in favour of Ubuntu on laptops is that, given it's a standard model from any known manufacturer, it's likely that 1. It mostly works out of the box and 2. Someone has an easily googlable GitHub wiki page with fixes and workarounds for any remaining issues.

It is likely that all of the above applies to mint/pop as well, but you'll have to Google for laptop+Ubuntu still.

This might be true for other distros as well, but I've never bothered to investigate because I've had maybe two problems in 14 years and something like 8 laptops and 4 homebuilt desktops.

I'm mostly looking at others now to see if I can find something that works as well for me while being easier to use for less powery users, as I tend to be the local IT for both friends and colleagues.

Edit: and as the above poster said, some privacy concerns, plus snaps and general lack of trust in Canonical's Vision and priorities.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also, regarding AUR:

BrainDance posted:

I dunno the goon perception of Arch, but I dont like the AUR in Arch for the same reason I don't like PPAs in Ubuntu, you put all that trust in what? Just some dude? At least with Debian there's some kind of trust. But yeah whatever you get bleeding edge packages I guess.

So at least for AUR, the only thing that the "just some dude" is doing is making a pkgbuild script. Nothing else is actually hosted on AUR, source tarballs come directly from github or wherever. So when you install SomeApp, presumably already having chosen to trust SomeApp's creators, so the only thing you need to check is the script. Which is just 20-200 lines.

If you don't trust the author of SomeApp because said author is "just some dude", I suppose Debian is a safer choice. I don't know how much vetting Debian really does themselves for security, but at least you have the rest of the linux world discovering that SomeApp's authors went rogue 6-12 months before you hit the malicious version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have been using Manjaro for my own system for a few years now. Switched from Gentoo. And I feel like the aur mostly had packages that you would have to download manually from the developer in other distros. and/or that have been banished for political reasons such as Chrome or vscode.