Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't tip their barber!?

I think a lot of people don't realize it's a common thing because, unlike tipping a waiter (where you're making up for their below minimum wages), you're tipping someone who can charge anywhere from 15-30 bucks minimum for a 15-30 minute hair cut. I do tip my stylist for what it's worth, but I think a lot of people honestly don't realize you're supposed to because of the initial cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Facebook posted:

Jiggs McDonald, NHL Hall of Fame broadcaster speaking in Orillia, Ontario, said, "I am truly perplexed that so many of my friends are against another mosque being built in Toronto. I think it should be the goal of every Canadian to be tolerant regardless of their religious beliefs. Thus, the mosque should be allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance."

That is why I also propose that two nightclubs be opened next door to the mosque, thereby promoting tolerance from within the mosque. We could call one of the clubs, which would be gay, 'The Turban Cowboy,' and the other a topless bar called 'You Mecca Me Hot.'

Next door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork, and adjacent to that an open-pit barbecue pork restaurant called, 'Iraq o' Ribs.'

Across the street there could be a lingerie store called 'Victoria Keeps Nothing Secret,' with sexy mannequins in the window modeling the goods.

Next door to the lingerie shop there would be a liquor store called, 'Morehammered.'

All of this would encourage Muslims to demonstrate the very same tolerance they demand of us, so their mosque issue would not be a problem for others...

People want to practice religion? I BETTER SEE HOW BIG OF A DICK I CAN BE TO THEM!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I am getting so sick of my childless friend posting "Respect your parents" and pro-spanking stuff on Facebook that I'm going to start calling him out on it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

My favorite conservative friend immediately dismisses any snopes link because "it is run by a liberal couple and is biased". Even for questions of fact such as "did <celebrity> really say <thing>"

I love when people rant against he Snopes founder to my face. It's amazing. I've met them, and they are some of the least 'in your face' people I've met. They simply abhor misinformation.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rosalind posted:

I am getting so sick of my childless friend posting "Respect your parents" and pro-spanking stuff on Facebook that I'm going to start calling him out on it.

I'm always a little shocked at how outwardly pro-beating children some people are.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm always a little shocked at how outwardly pro-beating children some people are.

Because in a lot of people's crazy minds a spanking is not equivalent to child abuse. There are, perhaps, degrees of severity between hitting your child on the butt and laying into them with a switch or belt but it's still in the realm of inflicting corporal punishment on a child. It doesn't work as a punishment, and it doesn't teach children "respect." It does teach them to fear their parents and that it's ok to hurt people you love if they do something bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rosalind posted:

Because in a lot of people's crazy minds a spanking is not equivalent to child abuse. There are, perhaps, degrees of severity between hitting your child on the butt and laying into them with a switch or belt but it's still in the realm of inflicting corporal punishment on a child. It doesn't work as a punishment, and it doesn't teach children "respect." It does teach them to fear their parents and that it's ok to hurt people you love if they do something bad.

A source of the difficulty with physical punishment/discipline debates is that information on psychological outcomes/mechanisms of physical punishment in parenting is hard to come by and slow to disseminate. Additionally, like most things involving parenting/children, self-identification and defense make any kind of critical or policy discussion toxic almost from the outset.

Statements like the last part of the post quoted above, which implies a categorical causation between childhood physical discipline and the practice of physical abuse as an adult, are a pretty good example of counterproductive messaging leading to this phenomenon.

Pro-spanking etc. folks respond to this sort of thing as a direct moral attack, which makes them identify more strongly with their position and renders them resistant to reasoned arguments (the same response all human have under such circumstances). With sufficient repetition, the bizarre "proud", "boastful" standpoint becomes a defense mechanism.

There are other elements, too, of course- for example, it's associated in the defensive rhetoric with religious self-identification. So overbroad, morally framed or facts-presumptive statements on spanking are perceived by the pro-spanking recipient as an attack on their identity, their parenting, their morality and their religion.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 29, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
After feminism-talk on the last page, I surprisingly have something... Mind bogglingly awful to share with this thread now. I'm excited because, as I mentioned earlier, my little corner of Canada seems to be pretty moderate on the awful forwards:

Sorry for the small text and bad image but here's plain text:

CS3710 Assignment 2 posted:

(25 points) Write and test a Prolog program that solves following problem:
Everybody needs loving and understanding. People get their courage to live from loving and understanding. Understanding means listening and compassion. Rape victims have to gather their courage to live in order to stand on their dignity and to face future. Heather is a young rape victim. she would die if she could not stand on hr dignity and no future. Unfortunately the persistant bullying online and calling her "slut" in her community show that nobody would listen her and there is no compassion towards her. A person willing to die causes the person's attempting suicide. Whether is Heather attempting a suicide?

That's right. An instructor at the local university gave an assignment to a computer science class to essentially write a program predicting the suicide of a socially isolated and bullied rape victim. I... Don't even know where to begin on this one, but apparently it was reported to the student union and sexual harassment office.

Excuse the grammar/spelling- I believe the prof is ESL and I'm not sure I want to bring up the implications of such a discussion.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I loving hate prolog.

Discendo Vox posted:

A source of the difficulty with physical punishment/discipline debates is that information on psychological outcomes/mechanisms of physical punishment in parenting is hard to come by and slow to disseminate.

My sister maintains that all people should watch Supernanny. I've only seen bits of it, though I gather the general line after fixing specific problems boils down to "don't be a domineering shitlord" and "spend time with your kids", with discipline usually being isolation based rather than physical or even verbal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CS3710 Assignment 2 posted:

posted:
(25 points) Write and test a Prolog program that solves following problem:
Everybody needs loving and understanding. People get their courage to live from loving and understanding. Understanding means listening and compassion. Rape victims have to gather their courage to live in order to stand on their dignity and to face future. Heather is a young rape victim. she would die if she could not stand on hr dignity and no future. Unfortunately the persistant bullying online and calling her "slut" in her community show that nobody would listen her and there is no compassion towards her. A person willing to die causes the person's attempting suicide. Whether is Heather attempting a suicide?

I wonder if this was an incredibly poorly conceived attempt at informing the class of the serious issue of a lack of strong social support netowrks for rape victims?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

BonoMan posted:

I think a lot of people don't realize it's a common thing

Count me as one. I never knew you were supposed to tip your stylist until my wife mentioned it. Even today, I always forget to simply because I have never tipped before.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Poizen Jam posted:

That's right. An instructor at the local university gave an assignment to a computer science class to essentially write a program predicting the suicide of a socially isolated and bullied rape victim. I... Don't even know where to begin on this one, but apparently it was reported to the student union and sexual harassment office.

Excuse the grammar/spelling- I believe the prof is ESL and I'm not sure I want to bring up the implications of such a discussion.
I'm hoping that this was a hamfisted attempt at addressing something that has been more prominent in the news recently following the suicide of Rehtaeh Parsons, basically challenging the test taker to consider the role that victim blaming played.

e:f;b

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Renaissance Robot posted:

My sister maintains that all people should watch Supernanny. I've only seen bits of it, though I gather the general line after fixing specific problems boils down to "don't be a domineering shitlord" and "spend time with your kids", with discipline usually being isolation based rather than physical or even verbal.

I believe that the general term I've heard w/r/t not doing severe punishments is "positive parenting", for anyone who wants to google it or whatever.

Also, as far as tipping barbers, another issue is not knowing how much to tip. Is it 20% of the cost of the haircut? Less if they set the fee themselves? More because a haircut is more meaningful than a meal? Or maybe it's a flat fee. I have no idea, so I always end up just thrusting some bills at my barber and hoping.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Statements like the last part of the post quoted above, which implies a categorical causation between childhood physical discipline and the practice of physical abuse as an adult, are a pretty good example of counterproductive messaging leading to this phenomenon.

Really? Really? I am absolutely not getting into a causation debate with anyone online. I took enough classes on causation in grad school to know that causation is drat near impossible to prove with stuff like this, but certainly several journal articles have established association between violence against child and violent behaviors later in life:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1011115104282
http://www2.bgsu.edu/downloads/cas/file77085.pdf
http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/5/4/449.short
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...enticated=false

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

I wonder if this was an incredibly poorly conceived attempt at informing the class of the serious issue of a lack of strong social support netowrks for rape victims?

That's what a lot of people are theorizing, especially given the obvious language barrier. Still, appropriate for a Computer Science classroom? Ehhh... I'm not crazy about trigger warnings but it's definitely ill conceived especially in a field known for male domination and misogyny.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Rosalind posted:

this guy's parents were batshit enough to murder him for being a douche, a good image

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Could someone link me to a summary of the chemtrails conspiracy theory? I'm not clear on what it is.

Here's a pretty close, amazing approximation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fuckin' rainbows, everywhere! :gay:

The picture wasn't loading for me before, that's just golden. I love how it's always the worst people that are most concerned about children and "language" (because calling you a poo poo in front of the kid is so much worse than you being a poo poo in front of the kid :jerkbag:)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 29, 2014

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Oh Ron Paul people

quote:

My boyfriend hates the monetary system because he understands how hosed it is.

me posted:

What exactly is the problem with the monetary system. Be specific.

quote:

Oh, you need specifics? Fractional reserve banking, fiat currency, inflation, devaluation, credit, fraudulent mortgages, fraudulent loans, a national debt that exceeds our GDP and a global debt 100 times the global GDP.
Justan Peterson I'm on a phone on a bus. I can give you explicit details later this evening if you'd like. Or you could just research it.

So, I finally had it and said this:

quote:

Nah that's ok because what you just posted are just general things that exist. You ever head of the bank panic of 1819 or 1837 or 1825 or 1901? (Just to name a few) Do you know what DIDN'T exist before that happened? Go on guess. Hint: The Federal Reserve System. In fact the bank panic of 1837 existed specifically because there was no national national bank and people just lost money. National debt is a matter of FINANCE policy and not MONETARY policy and debt in and of itself is not a bad thing. The boogeyman of inflation I find hilarious because inflation has been (practically) non-existent. Fraudulent mortgages would be worse in Ron Paul world because banks and financial institutions could do whatever they want whenever they want because there would be no regulation.

But hey, you know maybe it's hard to actually know your history.

No response yet.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Mornacale posted:

Also, as far as tipping barbers, another issue is not knowing how much to tip. Is it 20% of the cost of the haircut? Less if they set the fee themselves? More because a haircut is more meaningful than a meal? Or maybe it's a flat fee. I have no idea, so I always end up just thrusting some bills at my barber and hoping.

I just give them $5 on what's usually a $18-20 haircut.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

And I called him out on it and the crazy came right out:

Apparently if your child swears, you should just punch them! Raising children in the 21st century!

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Rosalind posted:

And I called him out on it and the crazy came right out:

Apparently if your child swears, you should just punch them! Raising children in the 21st century!

It's well documented by the American Psychological Association that spanking/hurting your kids does nothing to improve their behavior, and someone is a parent who does it: They're deliberately being unimaginative.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was hit when I was a kid and looked what I turned into: A man who has decided to spend part of his transitory, all too brief existence angry that children aren't being physically hurt!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Most parents I know that believed in spanking usually did it out of anger instead of the "hurts me more than it does you" firm discipline they try to paint it as. My mom's side of the family believing in it didn't really accomplish anything beyond giving their kids the same short tempers they had.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
As children we were generally given a choice when we misbehaved, either a lecture from mom or a spanking from dad. We always chose the lecture, and about an hour into it would be like "please just let dad spank us and get this over with" but we never learned.

The moral of the story is that kids are stupid.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Funnier, even, since that's technically true.

"I looked online just now and there were like 50 jobs on the first page!" *fails to notice that 49 of those are outside your ability, zero-hour contractor poo poo, or outright scams*

Perhaps if the economy were centrally planned those real jobs wouldn't have gone unfilled.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
So Pete is basically insane from what I can tell, or just very angry, all the time.
Mary is Tom Atoe btw. And Bruce is Pete Sariya.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks to this thread the word "Statist" automatically starts alarm bells ringing in my mind.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sir Rolo posted:

Thanks to this thread the word "Statist" automatically starts alarm bells ringing in my mind.

This is absolutely the correct heuristic to have. The only exception is goons who call themselves statists, which should instead tell you that they're sexy geniuses with strong, latin-inspired usernames.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Woman Against Feminism posted:

Facts:

~Single, childless women are earning more than men (in cities)
http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html

~Women make up 57% of bachelor’s degrees, 60% of master’s degrees, and 52% of PhDs

~More women are enrolled in college than men.

~ More women are in graduate school than men.

~Law schools are half women.

~Women control over 60% of consumer wealth

~80% of tv ads cater to women

~Women possess reproductive rights (while men do not)

~Women’s organizations are legion (while men’s organizations are banned from college campuses or else antagonized)

~Courts routinely award women full custody of children over men, as well as alimony and child support

and so on…

feminists are in the business of imposing an inferiority-mentality upon women in order to keep their feminist lobbying industry going.

But the reality is that women have never had it better.
What in the hell is this crap?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I guess it's true that women have never had it better than today, since they were treated little better than property for the preceding history of western civilization.

Wrap it up ladies, feminism successful!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It's a bunch of MRA bullshit that is a mix of:

Things that are patently false
Things that are almost true but they mix things up (spending vs. wealth)
Things that are true, but aren't really unjust for reasons that MRAs do not understand
Things that are true, and are unjust or symptoms of injustice, but whose causes MRAs will never understand or address.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I'll never understand the point about reproductive rights. Is there specific legislation in the US about when a man can and can not get a vasectomy or buy a condom?

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Oh no! Popular music isn't honoring Jesus!

And here's the linked article:

theblacksphere posted:

Grant was up for Best Gospel/Contemporary Christian Music Performance for “Alive (Mary Magdelene),” a song she wrote with her husband Bernie Helms, and Best Christian Music Song for the chart-topping “Hurricane.”

The couple went to the Grammys proud to represent gospel music. Little did they know when they arrived at the Los Angeles Staples Center that they’d be going to church.

To warm up the congregation and open the service, Beyoncé twerked her ample bethonged derriere to the delight of millions. After that, Natalie and Bernie were subjected to Mrs. Carter sitting astride a chair in, shall we say, an extremely come-hither position.

Next the high-powered billionaire, Jay-Z ,and his bodacious bride left little to imagination about what goes on in their boudoir when nobody’s looking.

From there, Natalie got to see pop star Katy Perry, who used to sing about Jesus. However, since crossing over into showbiz stardom she’s been circling the vortex of hellish behavior for years. Katy, wearing an illuminated Knights Templar cross on her chest, pushed the envelope beyond ‘kissing a girl’ in what even the secular media described as a Satanic Ritual, or at best, witchcraft.
Right about that time Natalie and Bernie were probably starting to feel out of place among people winning awards for being “Up all night to ‘Get lucky.’”

It’s unclear which debauched performance prompted Natalie Grant and Bernie Helms to call it a night.

Hopefully, they were already gone and missed the church-like mockery that was overseen by Reverend Latifah. Wedding music was compliments of a menopausal Madonna on behalf of 34 same- and mixed-sex couples who tied the knot on what’s supposed to be a music awards show.

Refusing to pass judgment on the debacle, after she left Natalie had this to say on her Facebook page, which in a few words said so much:

quote:

We left the Grammy’s early. I’ve many thoughts about the show tonight, most of which are probably better left inside my head. But I’ll say this: I’ve never been more honored to sing about Jesus and for Jesus. And I’ve never been more sure of the path I’ve chosen.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Lord Wexia posted:

Oh no! Popular music isn't honoring Jesus!

And what's worse, they let Madonna sing it, even though she's menopausal!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Leospeare posted:

And what's worse, they let Madonna sing it, even though she's menopausal!

Nonono, the worst bit is that they let a buncha dark Daft Punk sing about love SEX!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ArchangeI posted:

I'll never understand the point about reproductive rights. Is there specific legislation in the US about when a man can and can not get a vasectomy or buy a condom?

Those crafty women have stolen the means of reproduction! WorkersMen of the world unite!*

*But don't like, unite, in terms of a gay marriage or anything. Marriage is a tool used by feminazi statists to control the virility of the male species!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Rand Paul was on a bunch of Sunday shows spewing this so now it's the truth.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Mooseontheloose posted:

Rand Paul was on a bunch of Sunday shows spewing this so now it's the truth.

He also ended it with: "Women in this country are doing so well that sometimes I worry about our young men, heh heh."

See! He worries so much about women that he actually worries about men instead! It was just a half step away from, "I love women. My wife! She, herself, is a woman that is made of carbon!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's so goddamned disingenuous because "women have never had it better" is too much for the conservatives, libertarians and MRA-types. The war on women isn't about "ok that's enough let's stop it here" but rather about rolling back all of the progress that's been made since ... I don't know, the 20s?