Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Christ this thread has gotten awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Gotten?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Something something white moderate, something something complete -A Liberal politician

fake edit: the thread is fine, it's the world and so many of the people in it that are lovely

We're all mad because most of us are intelligent enough to be able to see what's happening and know what's coming, don't eat each other now goddamnit

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I was just about to type "I don't think Canada is dumb enough to elect Trump-lite" then my mom posted a pro-O'Leary for PM meme on Facebook which my whole family unironically liked so I don't know what the gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Lol. Don't kid yourself, we are more than dumb enough to elect "Trump-lite", even two years into the complete collapse of the American state we will be dumb enough to elect a Trump-lite.

And it won't just be rurals or whatever other urbanite boogeyman. Toronto elected Rob Ford. Toronto would have elected Rob Ford twice if he hadn't dropped out. We have direct evidence that one in four people will consistently support crass racist unqualified ineffectual morons so long as they're flying the right banner. That isn't about to change.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Its weird although I see how its still on the books, I cant find any examples of a conviction based on the charge of anal intercourse in the past 15 years or so. The last time I really it see it referenced were two cases in 2000 and 2001 where the conviction was appealed and dropped and another where it was found to be unconstitutional.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Lol. Don't kid yourself, we are more than dumb enough to elect "Trump-lite", even two years into the complete collapse of the American state we will be dumb enough to elect a Trump-lite.

Maybe we're even dumb enough to not realize we already elected "Trump lite". That's a silly phrase, it's so vague.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got the best plan for electoral reform, you won't believe how good it is it's going to be so much better than the current voting system. 2015 will be the last election under first past the post, the next election will be the greatest election, make canada great again.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
The entire sales team at my office is just so stoked that a proper businessman is running! He'll fix Canada!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Maybe we're even dumb enough to not realize we already elected "Trump lite". That's a silly phrase, it's so vague.

A bombastic pitchman and reality TV star with no political experience pushing a populist conservative "platform*", being elected on nothing more than soundbites and name recognition.

Does that help?

*Platform may be completely undefined beyond "You'll have jobs and money again and we'll gently caress over those folks you don't like"

If you want to find a way to stretch Trudeau into that concept I'd love to see it.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

The entire sales team at my office is just so stoked that a proper businessman is running! He'll fix Canada!

The government should run like a business! - A loving moron who failed civics

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 20, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

A social media wiz with minimal political experience pushing a populist Middle Class "platform*", being elected on nothing more than soundbites and name recognition.

*Platform may not be released until 2 weeks before the election

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I don't think there's any question whether we're dumb enough to elect O'Leary because obviously we are. I just think that people in this thread are apparently losing perspective on Trudeau's enduring popularity. I'm not gonna pretend we can project two years into the future and Trudeau's numbers have dropped recently but I wouldn't write off PM Selfie just yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's pretty good, but there's also a fundamental difference in their politics. Specifically Trump being an inexperienced outsider with a mandate to burn the American political establishment to the ground, versus Trudeau being a well connected insider with minimal experience being guided by the very definition of political establishment, and a mandate for business as usual.

Where someone like O'Leary fits into this is unclear as yet, as we haven't seen the kind of burn-it-to-the-ground backlash here in Canada that seemed so prevalent in the American election.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
boy you guys are sure concerned about park loving being illegal

Just fyi I have no problem with junkies dying. It's the cheapest, most efficient method of dealing with drug addiction. Prove me wrong

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

I don't think there's any question whether we're dumb enough to elect O'Leary because obviously we are. I just think that people in this thread are apparently losing perspective on Trudeau's enduring popularity. I'm not gonna pretend we can project two years into the future and Trudeau's numbers have dropped recently but I wouldn't write off PM Selfie just yet.
There's no guarantee Kevin wins the leadership.

Justin is well-liked by enough people, for now, unlike Hillary.

We have three (3) rump parties with enough viability to actually impact things.

While the way we decide the makeup of our Parliament is non-proportional, it is a gleaming beacon of fairness by comparison. Elections Canada is extremely good and non-partisan. So if it's any comfort, if Kevin wins a general it will be fair and square most prob.

namaste faggots posted:

Just fyi I have no problem with junkies dying. It's the cheapest, most efficient method of dealing with drug addiction. Prove me wrong
hope you like the smell of corpses rotting in the streets, because every morgue is full

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 20, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We're talking about the end of the underground opioid industry and here you are complaining about the the disposal of junkies corpses smh

Oh well considering you think Jenny kwans support of money laundering is ok I guess I shouldn't new surprised

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Where someone like O'Leary fits into this is unclear as yet, as we haven't seen the kind of burn-it-to-the-ground backlash here in Canada that seemed so prevalent in the American election.

I don't think it will happen here. Where they have Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness we have Peace, Order and Good Government.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

We're talking about the end of the underground opioid industry and here you are complaining about the the disposal of junkies corpses smh

you talk like new addicts aren't being created all the time (often after some doctor sends a patient home with a month's supply of narcotics)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I don't think it will happen here. Where they have Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness we have Peace, Order and Good Government.

If Canadians gave that much of a poo poo about their countrymen then why do so many of them jam the highways in desperation to flee their suburban enclaves to go to their even more absurdly far flung suburban enclaves all the way up north every weekend

there is nothing; abandon all hope friend

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Never underestimate the collective stupidity of any group of people.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

apatheticman posted:

Never underestimate the collective stupidity of any group of people.

Is this a meta thing, or....

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MasterSitsu posted:

The idea that this ban has achieved anything progressive is magical thinking. Wokus pocus.

You're acting like the police ban was the only demand that was made or granted.

That's pretty good, but there's also a fundamental difference in their politics. Specifically Trump being an inexperienced outsider with a mandate to burn the American political establishment to the ground, versus Trudeau being a well connected insider with minimal experience being guided by the very definition of political establishment, and a mandate for business as usual.

O'Leary's claim to fame is building a house of cards with a series of quick acquisitions and shady paperwork, then duping an even larger company into acquiring his mess. So I guess we can start off by scooping up Greenland, Iceland, the Farroe Islands and the Turks and Caicos, then flipping everything over to China before they start to suspect anything.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

All this time campaigning for the Conservative leadership, I was sure I was going to be seen as Canada’s Donald Trump. Particularly because I’ve been constantly, openly pleading to be seen as Canada’s Donald Trump. If I could have made my campaign slogan “I’m Canada’s Donald Trump” I would have.

But I’m beginning to think – and follow me here – that in this particular reimagining of the Trump scenario, the game show host business jerk who yells at people might actually be Kevin O’Leary, and I might be the weird nonsense-talking doctor who nobody can believe is a doctor.

Op-Ed by Kellie Leitch: “Oh no, I’m the Ben Carson, aren’t I?”

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I honestly would not be surprised one bit if her house was full of art depicting herself with famous people and one of her giving Jesus the thumbs up.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008
You'll like this one Helsing. Plays up that Trump-Putin narrative you're so fond of:

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/12/kevin-oleary-asks-putin-deal-trump-got/

quote:

Kevin O’Leary asks Putin for same deal Trump got

“Whatever you want, whatever you need,” said O’Leary as he kissed Putin’s feet. “State secrets, control over the arctic? It’s done.”

“Just do the same thing for me that you did for him.”

O’Leary is reportedly hoping Putin will use Russian espionage and hacking networks to convince Canadians that Maxime Bernier’s recent trip to Thailand was for immoral purposes, and that Justin Trudeau was responsible for the Benghazi attacks.

“I also want Dragons Den cancelled, and for the media to say the show would have stayed on the air if they hadn’t fired me.”

Putin mostly stayed silent during the twenty minute meeting. However at the end he did pull out his ceremonial blade and advise O’Leary that, if he truly wants Putin’s help, he must “wear the mark.”

Upon his departure, O’Leary was dismayed to find a grinning Kellie Leitch waiting next in line at Putin’s office.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I have no doubt O'Leary or Leitch or any of the CPC would gladly cede ultimate authority to Russia if it meant they got to rule their own little SSR indefinitely. Same for the Republicans, though.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I had a guy at work tell me that having a business background should be mandatory for political leader. Learn how to run a company before you try to run a country.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

I had a guy at work tell me that having a business background should be mandatory for political leader. Learn how to run a company before you try to run a country.

Maybe a political background should be mandatory for political leader. Learn how to run a country before you try to run a country.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

You'd think all these folks who think countries should be run like companies would be supportive of separatist movements...

"No, don't think of it as a breakaway republic, what we're doing is a *reorganization* to *release value* from the country"
"I prefer the term national entrepreneur to 'rebel'"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've met lots of people with business backgrounds who would do a better job of running the x than whoever currently does it.

Thing is those aren't generally the people with business backgrounds interested in going into politics. That Arlene Dickinson op-ed someone linked kind of hits the nail on the head.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tochiazuma posted:

You'd think all these folks who think countries should be run like companies would be supportive of separatist movements...

"No, don't think of it as a breakaway republic, what we're doing is a *reorganization* to *release value* from the country"
"I prefer the term national entrepreneur to 'rebel'"

Just tell them Quebec separatism is spinning off an unprofitable part of the country and watch how fast they say they're in favour of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY-QBvy3lR8

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol u sjws think Justin Trudeau is doing all this poo poo out of a sense of deep patriotic duty

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

namaste faggots posted:

You still gotta send out EMS etc. even if your policy is "let them die" so it's not like you're saving that much money unless you hit em with Naloxone and then double check that they're a junkie and then finish them off

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's only matter of time before some poor canada post worker crushes a package and dies of an unprecedented dose of that poo poo. :smith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a mom as finance minster because maybe we wouldn't have so much DEBT if we ran our budget like a household budget.
Wait, the average canadian is in crippling debt?????

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

lol u sjws think Justin Trudeau is doing all this poo poo out of a sense of deep patriotic duty

I know you're Canada's king of hot takes, but where in this thread have you seen anyone other than maybe Bunny of Doom say anything particularly positive about Justin Trudeau or the Liberals?

What are you even referring to?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How many loving posts have i just read stating O'Leary is unsuitable to run for office because he's got a blank heart of doom or some poo poo

gently caress off idiot

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

How many loving posts have i just read stating O'Leary is unsuitable to run for office because he's got a blank heart of doom or some poo poo

gently caress off idiot

I'm pretty sure that number would be 'zero'

are you functionally retarded or just illiterate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Don't be too hard on CI, his whole schtick is pretending the rest of the thread isn't as bitter and misanthropic as he is.