Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jabor posted:

a pit of talentless nepotism

Hollywood was always this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hey everyone I had to do some major poo poo to get this preview of the new WarHammer 40k canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zea1PPg6uMc

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

infernal machines posted:

it was not good.

i say that as someone who has seen several of the 90s made-for-tv stephen king adaptations

the first episode of the stand miniseries is really good but each episode afterward plummets in quality

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm a big stephen king fan, and anything he does after the 80s and early 90s is poo poo. he got rich and that leads to total disconnection from normal people

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
his sons stories aren't very good either, nom de plume or not

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I don't think he's a terf so good on king for that, but detta in the dark tower

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i enjoyed the short story collection "skeleton crew"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

i enjoyed the short story collection "skeleton crew"

the story itself "skeleton crew" is really fuckin good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the story itself "skeleton crew" is really fuckin good

ohhh, I was thinking "graveyard shift"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3Gx_PCprc

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
c trek s: got to the episode of lower decks where there's a character-made holo-movie that is obviously taking the piss out of jjtrek and the general love trek movies have for long glossy flybys of ships, extremely good

also there was a damned stephen king new england old man as a bartender warning the kids off, lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there's a crisis point ii ep in season 3 that is also really good, but it more takes aim at Action Hero Picard and the absurdity of the TNG movies

all told, great stuff

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Stephen King was great as Hoagie Man in Knight Riders. I haven't really kept up with his other work, though.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
maximum overdrive was great at least

i watched the original pet sematary recently and it was still good, plus nice to see that one guy from wings and tasha yar

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

psiox posted:

the general love trek movies have for long glossy flybys of ships, extremely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbnBZH-eLIs

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

lmbo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I watched Star Trek tmp again recently and the ship panning shot is shockingly long. also a transporter inverts someone.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I watched Star Trek tmp again recently and the ship panning shot is shockingly long. also a transporter inverts someone.
also this:

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/763972450069598208

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I watched Star Trek tmp again recently and the ship panning shot is shockingly long.

they were so loving proud of that model

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

they were so loving proud of that model

i mean, the scene is probably excessively long but imo they were completely right to be, i think it's the best looking ship

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
absolutely, yes it is.

it looks incredible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't really begrudge them that shot. You have to remember that this show had only existed on 1960s television sets. The movie was the first time anyone had ever gotten to see the Enterprise in that sort of resolution and detail. This was also right after Star Wars came out.

Now it seems excessive, but at the time I'm sure it was just fine to bask in it.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah I’ll bask in it right now, it’s great. as you say contemporary viewers hadn’t seen the enterprise in screen in 15 years so they can take the time, and it’s a character thing for Kirk. I think it’s longer than the space balls joke version of the same shot though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i prefer the excelsior (non-refit)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'd love to see the motion picture on a big screen and that sequence is a big reason why

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

i prefer the excelsior (non-refit)

there's an excelsior ii class now

and entirely on-brand for picard, it looks like the sovereign class for some reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

:manning:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they have the enterprise model in the national air and space museum

it looked amazing irl and I haven't even seen it since the most recent restoration

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

it looked amazing irl and I haven't even seen it since the most recent restoration

yeah, it's rad. i managed to walk in right during the time it was lit up (they only do this for like five minutes at the top of the hour or something) which looks real good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

i've seen that too, it looks great

when i went to the star trek exhibit on board the intrepid they had the model shown in "trials and tribble-ations", but they had a bunch of poo poo projected onto it. as a result most of my pics came out terribly lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the star trek experience attraction at the las vegas hilton had the most amazing collection of trek props and models and ephemera

so glad i got to see it before it shut down, and that i got to wash down a "wrap of khan" with a glass of romulan ale at the replica quarks bar

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

FMguru posted:

the star trek experience attraction at the las vegas hilton had the most amazing collection of trek props and models and ephemera

so glad i got to see it before it shut down, and that i got to wash down a "wrap of khan" with a glass of romulan ale at the replica quarks bar

i hate that i missed this. it was really the main thing that interested me about vegas

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the props are surprisingly lovely up-close lol

unfortunately we got there almost at closing so i couldn't really take a lot of pics :smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it’s longer than the space balls joke version of the same shot though.

I think that was specifically a parody of the star destroyer overlying the camera at the beginning of star wars.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

my favorite tv prop was a painting from Babylon 5 that was literally just a spray painted french curve

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bad pic, but it's also a surprisingly lovely prop, lol

e: this one was cool

sorry for the lights, not my fault. blame the navy

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 13, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

maybe a non-hero prop? you can cut a lot of corners if you know it will never be in closeup

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

maybe a non-hero prop? you can cut a lot of corners if you know it will never be in closeup

yeah maybe. a lot of them seemed to be loaned from private collections that i'm guessing in turn came from auctions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

you hafta remember when these props were made they were going to be viewed on fuzzy SD vision tv broadcasts at best, they're going to have rough edges IRL - also when they do a remaster from a 4k film scan or similar and all of a sudden the bits of tape and screw-heads holding the set together are visible :o: