Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Speaking of Russian fuckery, I stated reading The Wages of Destruction, a book all about the Third Reich's economy. In it they talk about Hitler's world view, saying that Germany had two roads to take: 1) international engagement and wealth via trade, or 2) unitary action and military force. Hitler thought that the second option was the only real option, as the first route would lead to Germany's destruction if it challenged the United States. Hitler was very conscious that the United States was becoming a superpower, with an economy that would dwarf all of Europe's soon. Hitler obviously didn't like the idea of Germany being a lesser nation to any other. In addition, he also thought that in the case Germany was a big stinkin' success, it would lead to sinister Jewish cabals destroying Germany through war instead of trade. So 2) was the only intelligible option.

Anyway, it seems to me Russia is taking a similar path. For whatever reason, they've decided international engagement is bullshit. If Russia is to be "great" again (I suspect it's some rose-tinted-glasses version of the USSR*, like aging white people today look back on the 1950s as a golden era) the way to do that is through force of arms and belligerence.~

*Which of course is more or less what the USSR tried to do until they bankrupted themselves, but ignore that

~Of course, this is perfectly in sync with thread opinions that Putin realizes if he ever leaves office he will be shot for treason for being the head man in the world's biggest kleptocracy, therefore he has to manufacture an endless national emergency to keep himself permanently in power; it could be both these things

All these thoughts might also be my mind just riffing on this delicious piece of Trump shade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mr Crustacean posted:

If you're willing to have those ghost type dudes covertly inserted, attempt to infiltrate through hundreds of kilometres of regime/ISIS held territory and face the probable outcome of getting overrun and wiped out by the mechanised battalion stationed at Tartus, and then having to send the secretary of state to Damascus to negotiate the bodies back, then sure, give it a go.

Amongst the kinetic options in dealing with those Russian assets, the use of ground forces is really, really, really not credible.

guys, it was a joke

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Random question: is there a reason the PAK FA doesn't have a NATO reporting name yet? The Su-47 and MiG-1.44 each had one and they flew maybe a dozen times between them. Do we just not give those out anymore?

It seems like Russophiles have succeeded in making the now-not-secret Russian names for things the popular terminology.

I for one wish for the days when everything had a simple NATO number and name. AT-5 is a hell of a lot easier to deal with than 9M113, IMO.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ninjahedgehog posted:

Random question: is there a reason the PAK FA doesn't have a NATO reporting name yet? The Su-47 and MiG-1.44 each had one and they flew maybe a dozen times between them. Do we just not give those out anymore?

Flanker R-type :rice:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The PAK FA T-50 still doesn't have an official Russian name either. PAK FA is the project name (like, say, LWF for the F-16 or JSF for the F-35) and T-50 is just Sukhoi's internal name (like the Flanker was internally called T-10, no Su-27).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Why give a name to a plane that may never actually enter service?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beats calling it Objekt [random number]

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cat Mattress posted:

The PAK FA T-50 still doesn't have an official Russian name either. PAK FA is the project name (like, say, LWF for the F-16 or JSF for the F-35) and T-50 is just Sukhoi's internal name (like the Flanker was internally called T-10, no Su-27).

Yeah, but isn't it pretty common for Russian/Soviet models to just never have their own nicknames? As I recall though, some pilots liked the NATO name so much they started using it themselves (Bear, Fulcrum, maybe even Flanker). Plus the T-50 is just the prototype model name, in all likelihood it'll be called the Su-something if/when it enters service.

Mortabis posted:

NATO gave names to the Flatpack and Firkin though. :shrug:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mortabis posted:

Cuz the Tigershark was rad ok

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
They say never meet your heroes, but that should also apply to never following them on Twitter. Why does Chuck Yeager have to be such a prick? :(

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

drgitlin posted:

They say never meet your heroes, but that should also apply to never following them on Twitter. Why does Chuck Yeager have to be such a prick? :(

An Air Force fighter/test pilot is an alpha male prick? You don't say?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hes a god drat treasure

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
serious props to whoever got him on twitter

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drgitlin posted:

He's Chuck Motherfucking Yeager, you think he's gonna give a poo poo?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
grumpy Chuck, best Chuck

how chipper would you be if you had to sit on ginormous brass balls for nine decades?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
PAK-FA is probably written as Flanker G or H somewhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think everyone just started calling it PAK FA. But it's never going to be an operational platform, so whoever decides these things probably just shrugged at it.

Chuck Yeager is the highlight of twitter.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 6, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There's a nice plane in there if they'd just mix the VLTO requirement.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

X-32 Monica

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Mortabis posted:

X-32 Monica

you just can't help yourself can you

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I didn't come up with the name.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-is-a-real-tweet-from-the-russian-embassy-in-the-un-1787437075

Idiocy of this aside, I'm sure the EW/SEAD community is anxious to sniff these acquisition radars. Diplomatically it's a 'facepalm' moment, but militarily, it's "hey, while you're at it, bring down S-400s too! Can you make them all current variants, too? Pretty please?"

Of course, given how aggressively they're trying to market S-300 to everyone whose check will clear, I'm *totally* sure this isn't a way to try and demonstrate its efficacy in tracking and/or engaging the Raptor.

If the Russians put a Pantsir-S1 to guard the launchers, any SEAD operation against them will be dicey.

What is more crazy is the people who think that a no fly zone can be easily accomplished without provoking a super power stand-off. They're the crazy ones.

I wonder why the choice of S-300 vs a S-400. Maybe Russia doesn't have confidence in the new system or want to lose it in any skirmish?

Also, lol at the X-32.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I more of the opinion that Russia doesn't want to expose the S-400 to American and Israelii SigInt and Ewar in the region. We're kinda known for scraping early intel to have good detection and countermeasures. The Russians won't want to give us a good peak over a puppet war.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mortabis posted:

I didn't come up with the name.

Yet 20 years later you are the one using it.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

:v:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If the PAK-FA was all about just getting cool aerospace photos, mission accomplished

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I find it amusing to remember that Russia has about the same total GDP as Spain.

And probably a more corrupt and inefficient tax collection system, its a wonder to me that anything in their arsenal works.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As an oil and gas exporting country, Russia gets a ton of money through trade -- this is what is currently hurt by the low price of oil, but they've got a lot of reserves anyway. I mean, Russia's economy is really lovely, but that doesn't stop them from being able to afford stuff that by-the-number richer countries like Spain cannot possibly afford, and that's largely thanks to the resource extraction they do. It's like GDP is kind of a lovely indicator that is useless at telling you the real capabilities of a country!

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

But on the other hand since the end of the cold war we have seen an awful lot of bad maintainance, accidents and general poor performance from the russian military, a lot of that has to come from just straight not having much cash, the observation was slightly silly.

Im not saying that the military capability of Spain is near the same page as that of Russia, because yes there is a lot of complexity to both military capabilities and to a countries economy, but to be honest no single figure will tell you about the military capabilities of a country (Or anything, every figure has context), but lack of money has got to hurt them somewhere.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Not gonna lie it's pretty funny/sad to watch putin transform Russia into a plus sized north korea

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Agean90 posted:

Not gonna lie it's pretty funny/sad to watch putin transform Russia into a plus sized north korea

No, it's alarming, because he's the type of demagogue whom when things finally cave in on him, it's not unrealistic to imagine him pulling a Greg Stilson if he feels he's looking at real consequences for his actions, and he has principal control over the Russian strategic forces. And he's only getting older.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
North Korea also hasn't fed conscripts to a conflict zone three times in 15 years, either.

e- four times, my bad

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

VikingSkull posted:

North Korea also hasn't fed conscripts to a conflict zone three times in 15 years, either.

e- four times, my bad

That implies North Korea can feed its conscripts at all.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Hub Cat posted:

That implies North Korea can feed its conscripts at all.

:golfclap:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'm more worried about his successor, whom he is apparently on the lookout for these days. We got sorta lucky with him, inasmuch as he is not clinically insane, a drunk, a religious fanatic or a common criminal, or all of the above.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Force de Fappe posted:

I'm more worried about his successor, whom he is apparently on the lookout for these days. We got sorta lucky with him, inasmuch as he is not clinically insane, a drunk, a religious fanatic or a common criminal, or all of the above.

Hey Yeltsin wasnt that bad, especially compared to Putin. Also I bet Yeltsin is the only Russian leader known as a drunk because he got drunk publically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Force de Fappe posted:

He's a uncommon criminal, though