System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like how all your takedowns of her experience just prove her point while showing you didn’t watch the video. Which you admit, yet still feel the need to share your opinion on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess Arquinsiel is just going to have to make a 4 hour video about his trip.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sadly my experience was pretty unremarkable so I won't get many views :smith:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That makes it even worse. Imagine throwing down that cash for a 'pretty unremarkable' experience.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jabba gonna be here in 1 hour you gotta prep and get ready like the river Spirit is coming in Spirited Away but with metal bikinis and rancors

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jose Oquendo posted:

That makes it even worse. Imagine throwing down that cash for a 'pretty unremarkable' experience.
Negativity sells :shrug: Can't claim it as a business expense if you had fun, that's just a holiday.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the lowest Starcruiser got (besides the briefly available CM/AP/DVC rates before the closure was announced) was around $1700 a person if you had the cheapest 4-person room full.

For 4 adults each paying their own that's not completely unreasonable. For any family group that's a loving lot though. Restricting your big expensive project to basically just Disney adults and Grand Floridian families, how could it go wrong?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

I'm very sorry for your loss, and glad you had a good time at Epcot, at least. Do you have stories about how the kids did at Magic Kingdom?

I didn't get the play-by-play from my in-laws, but my son at least really enjoyed Magic Kingdom. He had lots of things to say about Thunder Mountain and the Mine Train, and was retelling jokes from the Monster's Inc show. My daughter really enjoyed the buzz lightyear ride and seeing Rapunzel at the parade. Apparently the day that they chose for Magic Kingdom hardly had any lines, so they got to go on pretty much everything even though they didn't stay for the whole day. Oh, and both kids were apparently afraid of the Pirates ride.

CapnAndy posted:

:colbert:
But honestly, glad you had a smash with it. Must've been one hell of a shock, but it seriously is the most fun ride in all of Disney World. Also, your son took a 0 to 60 launch like a champ, which means he's qualified for basically any roller coaster.

Whoops. I guess I missed that ride description. I do think we'll have more rollercoaster/theme parks in our future considering how well this one went.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Upsidads posted:

Jabba gonna be here in 1 hour you gotta prep and get ready like the river Spirit is coming in Spirited Away but with metal bikinis and rancors

Ok, now this I'd pay $2500 per person for

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, you're right. It's weird that they refunded memory maker after she didn't bother to get the in-park photographers to take photos of her and conflated it with a different paid upgrade. A normal guest would have been SoL there.

Nah. As someone who launched the drat thing, we would’ve refunded it as long as they hadn’t activated it (and with no photos you couldn’t activate it). Once it was activated all I could do is send you a check but yeah, idve done it.

Granted, that was before the internet help desk took over and they’re a bunch of loving morons, so it might be harder this day, but when we wrote all the training material that wouldn’t have been a hard sell.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Speaking of wealthy guests and bad Star Wars experiences

Whatever happened to that entitled wannabe model/influencer who wore a costume and hijacked the preshow on Rise of the Resistance a couple years ago? Disneybarbie or something? Rumor at the time was she caught a ban and I haven’t heard anything about her since so maybe it was true.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 20, 2024

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I like how there are now people nostalgic for the star cruiser, I'm looking at you A More Civilized Age star wars podcast, even though they also thought it was mediocre and only got in cause it was closing and had to do it for the content while fretting about the bill.

They mentioned that on the Facebook group for only verified past passengers, that some more theater-kid folks are trying to get a regular cruise going or convention hall rented to continue the masquerade they all went through.

P.S. Jenny's Skippy plush makes me jealous every time I see it.I regret not getting one as a souvenir when I knew that Alien Encounter was on its last legs and my parents were offering to buy one at the stall.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 20, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Quixotic1 posted:

They mentioned that on the Facebook group for only verified past passengers, that some more theater-kid folks are trying to get a regular cruise going or convention hall rented to continue the masquerade they all went through.

As silly as that is, I bet with a little effort and a lot less money they could actually create the experience they want way better.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

As silly as that is, I bet with a little effort and a lot less money they could actually create the experience they want way better.

Oh yeah,it needed several Dungeons Masters not an app.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Hazo posted:

Whatever happened to that entitled wannabe model/influencer who wore a costume and hijacked the preshow on Rise of the Resistance a couple years ago? Disneybarbie or something? Rumor at the time was she caught a ban and I haven’t heard anything about her since so maybe it was true.

Oh she's still around. "Southern Solo Belle." Unsurprisingly, still making the most cringe content. I don't think she actually got a ban. I just looked up her account (RIP to my fyp again) and she has slowed down posting quite a lot, but it's all the same ol' crap.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hutzpah posted:

I do think we'll have more rollercoaster/theme parks in our future considering how well this one went.
Well, I'm glad this one went as well as it could've.

Aphrodite posted:

I think the lowest Starcruiser got (besides the briefly available CM/AP/DVC rates before the closure was announced) was around $1700 a person if you had the cheapest 4-person room full.

For 4 adults each paying their own that's not completely unreasonable.
$1700/person for 3 days/2 nights is well beyond unreasonable. You could go to Disney World for a week for less than that, including airfare and food. You could take a week-long non-Disney cruise for less than that. It's an insane price.

Hazo posted:

Also I need to hear this story because lol

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Doronin posted:

Either way, I was more intrigued by her take on Disney's business model evolution of "charge more, offer less." I've been pretty vocal on here and other forums about that. So it honestly felt a little validating to hear someone else really hammer them on it. But it's also depressing because, as she pointed out, it may be 3 to 5 years before the actual ramifications are felt. Which means it would be years after that before a course correction ever occurs.

I've kind of dipped out this thread since our Disneyland Magic Keys expired back in February. Before then, we were an every-Sunday-morning family and I thought stepping away from Disney was going to be much harder than it really was. I think it's because we started back in the free Fastpass era and saw the direction the parks were headed. I had heard of the massive Disneyland expansion coming down the pipe, and this year was already a hot mess with construction and rides down and stuff, so once the expansions were approved we realized the parks and the surrounding area would be under perpetual construction for 10 years. I can't see how the massive nickel & diming that happens at Disneyland, coupled with major construction, is going to sustain those attendance levels but we've all been wrong before.

I wish my kids missed it as much as I thought they would. I wish I missed it, as well, but the long lines for "exclusive" merch, being caught in numerous livestreaming episodes (once we were trapped behind a livestreaming couple on the train, who talked and filmed all through the ride including the dinosaur area!) and the whole money-grubbing vibe I think soured the Disney experience for my family. I think it's all part of the same rot from the inside of Disney, and while I'm sure the company will be fine we'll give the parks more than a few years to sort it all out.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Doronin posted:

Oh she's still around. "Southern Solo Belle." Unsurprisingly, still making the most cringe content. I don't think she actually got a ban. I just looked up her account (RIP to my fyp again) and she has slowed down posting quite a lot, but it's all the same ol' crap.

Lmao holy poo poo, I actually ran into her in the Batuu marketplace on May 5th!

I was doing the bounty hunting side quest while my wife was getting blue milk, and she was marching down the middle of the street followed by a camera crew while she stopped traffic to swing her (very nice-looking) double bladed saber and pose with different merchandise. I even commented to my wife later that some influencer with huge boobs was showing off in GE and she said she’d seen her doing the same thing over by the First Order base.

I had no idea that was her and that she’d changed her instagram handle and was still up to the same obnoxious poo poo. I guess at least she seems to have toned it down a little.

CapnAndy posted:

Also I need to hear this story because lol

https://www.disneydining.com/disney-influencer-tiktok-star-wars-cast-member-mandolorian-sj1/

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Aww, that's not as funny as I'd hoped. They shoulda confiscated her lightsabers at least.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m more amazed they didn’t throw her out for the helmet. That’s a huge no-no.

Edit: also the video is gone, but in the original she basically corners the cast member in the hallway outside the interrogation rooms and berates him while pretending to be a Mandalorian, then starts getting in the faces of very confused guests and instructing them where to go

Hazo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 20, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Doronin posted:

holy Main Character Syndrome. I'm all for doing what you love and having no shame but holy poo poo. Maybe have some shame.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 20, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hazo posted:

she was marching down the middle of the street followed by a camera crew

Anyone who shows up at Disney with a camera crew should get straight up kicked out for the day. The normal vloggers and influencers are annoying enough.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

VorpalBunny posted:

I've kind of dipped out this thread since our Disneyland Magic Keys expired back in February. Before then, we were an every-Sunday-morning family and I thought stepping away from Disney was going to be much harder than it really was. I think it's because we started back in the free Fastpass era and saw the direction the parks were headed. I had heard of the massive Disneyland expansion coming down the pipe, and this year was already a hot mess with construction and rides down and stuff, so once the expansions were approved we realized the parks and the surrounding area would be under perpetual construction for 10 years. I can't see how the massive nickel & diming that happens at Disneyland, coupled with major construction, is going to sustain those attendance levels but we've all been wrong before.

I wish my kids missed it as much as I thought they would. I wish I missed it, as well, but the long lines for "exclusive" merch, being caught in numerous livestreaming episodes (once we were trapped behind a livestreaming couple on the train, who talked and filmed all through the ride including the dinosaur area!) and the whole money-grubbing vibe I think soured the Disney experience for my family. I think it's all part of the same rot from the inside of Disney, and while I'm sure the company will be fine we'll give the parks more than a few years to sort it all out.

Yeah, our 2022 trip (the last one for a long while) really soured us (mainly, me) on the entire experience. I really don't know at this point what it would take to get us to go back. It's not like Disney didn't pioneer hundreds of ways to separate you from your cash and make you feel great about it. I get it, and that's been part of it all since Day 1 so you expect it going in. But now it's such a miserably stressful experience on top of that thanks to the crowds and Genie+.

I'm just waiting for Cruise Line's value to get totally gutted because that's just what the Disney board values now.

Hazo posted:

Lmao holy poo poo, I actually ran into her in the Batuu marketplace on May 5th!

I was doing the bounty hunting side quest while my wife was getting blue milk, and she was marching down the middle of the street followed by a camera crew while she stopped traffic to swing her (very nice-looking) double bladed saber and pose with different merchandise. I even commented to my wife later that some influencer with huge boobs was showing off in GE and she said she’d seen her doing the same thing over by the First Order base.

I had no idea that was her and that she’d changed her instagram handle and was still up to the same obnoxious poo poo. I guess at least she seems to have toned it down a little.

:laffo: holy crap, that's really funny. I am reasonably certain she didn't change her handle by choice. She used to be "SouthernDisney Belle," I think, or something very close to that, but I know TikTok deleted one of her old accounts a while back and she had to start over, at least on that platform.

Coincidentally, she was literally the first "influencer" I saw post about boarding Starcruiser and absolutely put it on blast for being a bad experience. She caught a lot of flack back then for being upset with what she paid for, so she dressed as a Vulcan one day just to be an rear end in a top hat. But she shared a lot of similar problems as Jenny did.

Bottom Liner posted:

holy Main Character Syndrome. I'm all for doing what you love and having no shame but holy poo poo. Maybe have some shame.

"what do you MEAN I can't have my very expensive tits nearly all the way out and a thong over my leggings at this children's venue?!"

She used to post pics from the park where I was actually shocked she hadn't been banned on the spot or forced to wear an giant oversized free t-shirt.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

The normal vloggers and influencers are annoying enough.

For what it's worth, I love the livestreamers. It's the only way I may get to go back if DAS doesn't loosen up. I haven't done the call yet but a ton of people are being denied for things that aren't "autistic child".

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Finally got through Jenny's video, and I can't say I disagree with a single point she made in the entire video. I also don't think that at any point did she blatantly do anything "wrong".

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

For what it's worth, I love the livestreamers. It's the only way I may get to go back if DAS doesn't loosen up. I haven't done the call yet but a ton of people are being denied for things that aren't "autistic child".

and apparently some people are being told their autistic child's needs aren't severe enough to warrant the pass.

It's a mess.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

and apparently some people are being told their autistic child's needs aren't severe enough to warrant the pass.

It's a mess.

it sure is. and CMs have no idea what the hell they're going to do for solo disabled travelers using that "I have to leave the line" stuff. And can you imagine someone with IBS running back through the Soarin' line?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

it sure is. and CMs have no idea what the hell they're going to do for solo disabled travelers using that "I have to leave the line" stuff. And can you imagine someone with IBS running back through the Soarin' line?
Even as that person I'm still not convinced I deserved the pass TBH. But also that's slightly terrifying.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I figure I should ask this thread for tips and/or suggestions in planning a trip to Orlando. This is for way in the future, but my wife who likes to plan things, is currently devouring some books she checked out of the library (2024 guidebooks that look to be published late last year).

So some rough information:

We are looking at traveling in early 2026, probably late January or early Feb to take advantage of the seasonal lull, lower prices, and to flee the cold of the Midwest. Most likely flying out on Sunday, and returning home on Saturday. So 5 full days, and maybe a half day on the first day.

Family of 4, myself, my wife, 2 daughters (8 and 6 in 2026). Both are extremely tall for their age.

It was originally going to be a fully Disney trip, but now my wife is making noises about trying to fit in Universal (specifically for Harry Potter) as well. My initial instincts are that is not a great idea, as the later days on the Disney Parks appear to get much cheaper, and then we also either have to move hotels, or get additional transportation. Plus it reduces the time at Disney, and means we can’t just skip busy things and go back on day 5.

My initial thought was to pay up the extra cash to stay in a nicer Disney resort within close distance of Magic Kingdom, or maybe Epcot. My kids are currently pretty picky eaters, so leaning towards one of the Magic Kingdom Resorts. This way we can head back to the resort mid day for a break if things are getting too crazy or the weather gets weird, and to maybe rest the kids if we decide to try the evening hours thing.

As it stands, my kids are super into almost all things Disney princesses. They really love Frozen, but they like a bunch of the other popular ones like Ariel and Rapunzel. They seem to have fun at the local summer town carnival level rides, which includes a low level roller coaster, so we might get them on some more adventurous rides, but probably nothing outright scary.

As for the Universal part, my kids haven’t seen or read anything Harry Potter yet, but my wife has plans to with my older daughter soon. I think that may be a big part of it, if it doesn’t land, we might not go. I think some of it is my wife wants to see some of that, and doesn’t necessarily want to have to go back to Orlando again.

I get that a lot will likely change in 18-20 months, both with my kids, and with Disney. And we probably are not going to be booking anything until the end of summer 2025 to see if the trend of sales being offered continues around that time. But anything to be offered up would be welcomed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Personally I would suggest just staying at Disney and not shifting hotels. You could, in theory, get an Uber from Disney to Universal to just see the highlights for a day if you really wanted to, but there is something to be said for staying within the "Disney bubble" that adds to the magic. Plus, as you said, adding days at Disney is cheaper than buying a set of one day passes to Universal. I also think your kids are slightly too young to appreciate Universal much. If they can already do carnival rides and small roller coasters, you should have no problem with them enjoying just about everything at Disney.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, save Universal for a later trip (and hit all 3 parks then).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you end up deciding to, use Lyft wait and save and it shouldn't be too much. You never wait more than 10 extra minutes anyway.

Probably be cheaper than swapping hotels since you wouldn't trigger any length of stay discount at your second hotel.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I wouldn’t let dining have too much of an influence on where you stay. All the Disney dining options have kids meals and stuff for picky eaters regardless of location.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
If Epcot area is a positive always check Swan and Dolphin for rooms. They are typically 40% less than Beach Club or Boardwalk, dependent on days. They aren't very disney and don't have the amazing storm along bay pool, but very viable options if you want deluxe hotels for a moderate price. Swan has double queen beds and you can get a twin roller bed brought up if your kids need to sleep separate (I have kids those exact ages today).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Orvin posted:

I figure I should ask this thread for tips and/or suggestions in planning a trip to Orlando.
You absolutely should! We live vicariously through other people's vacations when we aren't taking them.

You definitely can do a primarily Disney trip with Universal detours, but probably not with five days. It takes four just to see all of Disney World. Six or seven days and it's workable. You can definitely stay in the same hotel the whole time -- I've done it, multiple times. Disney and Universal are very close to each other; the rideshare to and from Universal will be extremely reasonably priced.

Your instincts that the price per day decreases as you move past the four day threshold is accurate. Disney wants you to stay longer and stay in the Disney bubble, so they incentivize that behavior with price cuts.

Regarding hotels, something that I personally am a big fan of even though it puts me in the minority in this thread are the Disney Springs Resort Area hotels. They're not run by Disney and they're not themed, but they're on Disney property so you're still in the bubble, they all offer free transportation to and from the parks, and you still get the 30 minutes early entry into the parks that guests at Disney hotels get. And they're much cheaper. You can get a Moderate-quality room for less than Disney charges to stay in Value rooms. I think the savings are well worth it.

Also, regarding scheduling, you really have plenty of time to aim for Jan/Feb 25, if you want it (ideal buying time is about six months beforehand). But if you're set on the delay, may I also suggest aiming for early/mid October? You still have a seasonal lull to take advantage of, you still get to flee the cold, you don't have to deal with rides being down for refurb, and it puts you in the parks for two time-sensitive events: Food & Wine Festival at EPCOT (which is the best festival, fight me) and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, which is a ticketed (you have to pay extra for it) after-hours event at the Magic Kingdom that has special shows and characters, a special parade and fireworks show, lower crowds so less wait time, and absolutely tons of free candy for your kids. It's very worth doing.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 21, 2024

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone who shows up at Disney with a camera crew should get straight up kicked out for the day. The normal vloggers and influencers are annoying enough.

Not Disney but my wife and I went to Hobbiton earlier this year, and they did not put up with any influencer/"I'm the main character" bullshit at all. It was awesome.

Some group of influencers kept leaving their tour group to take photos, holding up other tour groups so they could take a stupid amount of photos, or go into areas that were off limits to guests to film. The tour guides would immediately pounce on them every time it happened and politely told them to keep moving so other guests could enjoy/stay out of the off limit areas. It all culminated in our guide telling them in a very sweet "gently caress around and find out" voice that they had been warned enough times after they got caught trying to setup a picnic to film in one of the areas that was off limits and set dressed, that they needed to pack up their poo poo and head back to the tour bus area.

Anyways, I watched most of Jenny's video about the star cruiser, and it's so far confirmed that my wife made the right call not booking it when we went a few years back. I absolutely loved exploring Galaxy's Edge and the various add ones (lightsaber/cantina) but I think she nailed it with her criticisms based on reports from friends who did it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

In my opinion, 8 & 6 are a bit too young for Universal, even the HP areas. Most of the rides have height restrictions and unless your kids are really tall, they won't make the minimum requirement. I would wait to shell out for a split trip until your youngest is more like 10.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

In my opinion, 8 & 6 are a bit too young for Universal, even the HP areas. Most of the rides have height restrictions and unless your kids are really tall, they won't make the minimum requirement. I would wait to shell out for a split trip until your youngest is more like 10.
For the record, Escape from Gringotts is 42" and needs an escort if under 48", and Forbidden Journey and Hagrid's are both 48", hard minimum.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Braksgirl posted:

Even without the height restriction, the rides trend more towards the "extreme" anyway. A lot more shouting and implied danger even in the Harry Potter stuff. Eight might be okay, but six will definitely be pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not that you said so, but late January isn’t going to be balmy. Certainly not like it is on the plains, but you should probably plan on daily highs being below 60.