Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wan leaving may not become the case, but losing two directors for the exact same reason in under a year is concerning as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Wan leaving may not become the case, but losing two directors for the exact same reason in under a year is concerning as hell.

Then Marvel should fall apart any minute, with driving away at least 3 directors and all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How bad of a work environment does it have to be for one of the best action directors in the business currently working to quit your project.

I mean seriously I can't think of a more perfect pairing than Michelle MacLaren and Wonder Woman, and WB really loving sunk that one. Hopefully Marvel picked her up for Captain Marvel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He didn't. The bad director they hired for the Flash that made everyone wonder what the gently caress they were thinking quit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're very generous, those Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes films are almost superhero movies, aren't they? Stick a pair of pointy ears and a cape on Robert Downey Jr., move it from London to Gotham City and swap Watson, Adler and Moriarty out for Alfred, Talia and Ra's al Ghul and you have the makings of the "world's greatest detective" take on Batman that fans sometimes clamour for.

Interesting that the second one had Moriarty enacting basically the same plot he had in the LXG movie - starting World War I a decade early and profiting by selling advanced weaponry to both sides.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Then Marvel should fall apart any minute, with driving away at least 3 directors and all.

In that short a span of time? And how many of them dropped out prior to production verses "elected not to come back"? I can only think of Edgar Wright.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Alan Taylor had a falling out with them over Thor 2, but he finished the movie first.

Did they have a problem with Joe Johnston? I don't remember. I feel as though I remember hearing there were problems between them and Joe Johnston.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It cant have been too bad, since he did an episode of Agent Carter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TFRazorsaw posted:

In that short a span of time? And how many of them dropped out prior to production verses "elected not to come back"? I can only think of Edgar Wright.

And with everything coming out of Marvel it sounds like with Perlmutter out of the picture on the movie side, everyone who at one point was like "Nah I'm done with this poo poo when my deal is up"(Chris Evans, RDJ etc etc) are now like "Sure lets make some more loving movies". Favreau has spoken up recently about how he wouldn't be against directing another Marvel movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

It cant have been too bad, since he did an episode of Agent Carter.

I'm probably mistaken anyway.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

If you're just counting "creative differences" for reasons directors left than Thor 2 lost two directors prior to shooting. Thor 1's director Kenneth Branagh left prior to Thor 2 starting because of "creative differences", Patty Jenkins signed on, then left for "creative differences". Ava DuVernay turned down directing Black Panther citing "creative differences".

E: Alan Taylor left after completing Thor 2. He says Marvel ignored him in the cutting room, but has expressed interest in assembling a Director's Cut.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 2, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MacheteZombie posted:

If you're just counting "creative differences" for reasons directors left than Thor 2 lost two directors prior to shooting. Thor 1's director Kenneth Branagh left prior to Thor 2 starting because of "creative differences", Patty Jenkins signed on, then left for "creative differences". Ava DuVernay turned down directing Black Panther citing "creative differences".

E: Alan Taylor left after completing Thor 2, and is one of the more outspoken directors of the bunch. He says Marvel ignored him in the cutting room, but has expressed interest in assembling a Director's Cut.

Using Ava DuVernay is a bit disingenuous. She had never even signed on to officially do it. She walked away before any ink was signed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I had no idea about any of that, see. Thank you for educating me.

Everything I'd heard about Ava Duvernay said that she'd never fully signed on, though. That it was just talking about the direction and possibility of it. I dunno if that was wrong or not.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 2, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

Using Ava DuVernay is a bit disingenuous. She had never even signed on to officially do it. She walked away before any ink was signed.

They had several group talks and went into details about how the movie would play out, and she didn't agree with their vision. That is "creative differences" in my book.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Everything I'd heard about Eva Duvernay said that she'd never fully signed on, though. That it was just talking about the direction and possibility of it. I dunno if that was wrong or not.

No, you're right about her not signing on officially, but she did cite "creative differences" as the reason she didn't sign on.

"I'm not signing on to direct Black Panther. I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me... In the end, it comes down to story and perspective. And we just didn't see eye to eye. Better for me to realize that now than cite creative differences later."

She basically says "I'll take creative differences now rather than later"

e: And just to point out, I specifically said she turned down the chance.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 2, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Everything I'd heard about Eva Duvernay said that she'd never fully signed on, though. That it was just talking about the direction and possibility of it. I dunno if that was wrong or not.

She essentially walked into a job interview, got to the second interview, and realized that she wouldn't have been a good fit for company culture and removed herself from consideration.

quote:

I'm not signing on to direct Black Panther. I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Marvel can afford those losses. Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man and Ava DuVernay turning down the gig in the first place is fine because they have a thematically coherent and built universe that can survive the shuffling of directors on any one movie. Also, it's a real stretch to say the latter's even the case, considering directors are courted to helm projects until their creative vision is at odds with the vision of the studio. It happens all the time, it's not a unique thing, and saying it's some damning thing for Marvel's process is...let's say, a bit exaggerated. DuVernay had nothing but positive things to say about her dealings with Marvel Studios, which even if it's what she would of course say doesn't betray any malice or hurt feelings.

And the trade was arguably a trade up, considering Marvel ended up hooking the director of one of the best films of 2015 and, tonally speaking, works better with the ideals of BP than DuVernay. Coogler's an awesome legacy director; he made a loving Rocky spin-off that's only exceeded in quality by the original, and that's arguable. He's an awesome choice for BP.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

They had several group talks and went into details about how the movie would play out, and she didn't agree with their vision. That is "creative differences" in my book.

No, you're right about her not signing on officially, but she did cite "creative differences" as the reason she didn't sign on.

"I'm not signing on to direct Black Panther. I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me... In the end, it comes down to story and perspective. And we just didn't see eye to eye. Better for me to realize that now than cite creative differences later."

She basically says "I'll take creative differences now rather than later"

e: And just to point out, I specifically said she turned down the chance.

MacheteZombie posted:

You initially said driven away. Coming to a mutual agreement, and realization that it wouldn't be a good fit beforehand is a bit different than someone being driven away after they have already started production on the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Marvel can afford those losses. Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man and Ava DuVernay turning down the gig in the first place is fine because they have a thematically coherent and built universe that can survive the shuffling of directors on any one movie. Also, it's a real stretch to say the latter's even the case, considering directors are courted to helm projects until their creative vision is at odds with the vision of the studio. It happens all the time, it's not a unique thing, and saying it's some damning thing for Marvel's process is...let's say, a bit exaggerated. DuVernay had nothing but positive things to say about her dealings with Marvel Studios, which even if it's what she would of course say doesn't betray any malice or hurt feelings.

And the trade was arguably a trade up, considering Marvel ended up hooking the director of one of the best films of 2015 and, tonally speaking, works better with the ideals of BP than DuVernay. Coogler's an awesome legacy director; he made a loving Rocky spin-off that's only exceeded in quality by the original, and that's arguable. He's an awesome choice for BP.

I don't think it's a killer for either DC or Marvel. I was just pointing out to TZR that it is not an issue only facing DC. Marvel and DC, and probably any "cinematic universe" is going to face these kinds of issues. Hunger Games ditched the director after the first movie, Star Wars specifically planned on switching directors, and I'm sure if I googled a bit I could find more examples. It's just one of those things that's going to happen.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In contrast DCEU has two movies to its credit, both of which were mixed bags at best, and they've been having creative troubles for the better part of a year. Losing directors is really really bad for DC in a way that it's not for Marvel, because the brand can survive a bad movie or one with a troubled development. gently caress, look at Ant-Man. It's an Ant-Man movie, and not only that but one with a super rocky development history. And it was still a critical and financial success. If Marvel can make Ant-Man into a genuine hit, then they can survive some creative reshuffling. Can DC say the same? Because I'd argue no. If Wonder Woman is a critical failure and financial disappointment in the same way BvS was, WB's in a ton of hot water when it comes to brand continuation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

You initially said driven away. Coming to a mutual agreement, and realization that it wouldn't be a good fit beforehand is a bit different than someone being driven away after they have already started production on the movie.

MacheteZombie posted:

E: Alan Taylor left after completing Thor 2. He says Marvel ignored him in the cutting room, but has expressed interest in assembling a Director's Cut.

Toxxupation posted:

In contrast DCEU has two movies to its credit, both of which were mixed bags at best, and they've been having creative troubles for the better part of a year. Losing directors is really really bad for DC in a way that it's not for Marvel, because the brand can survive a bad movie or one with a troubled development. gently caress, look at Ant-Man. It's an Ant-Man movie, and not only that but one with a super rocky development history. And it was still a critical and financial success. If Marvel can make Ant-Man into a genuine hit, then they can survive some creative reshuffling. Can DC say the same? Because I'd argue no. If Wonder Woman is a critical failure and financial disappointment in the same way BvS was, WB's in a ton of hot water when it comes to brand continuation.

If you mean this specific iteration of the DCEU than sure, MAYBE, DC might have something to talk internally about. If something catastrophic actually killed this current DCEU I am comfortable saying DC will make more movies with their IP and be successful. Marvel on the other hand, struggled with success in movies until their MCU took off.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 2, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't think it's a killer for either DC or Marvel. I was just pointing out to TZR that it is not an issue only facing DC. Marvel and DC, and probably any "cinematic universe" is going to face these kinds of issues. Hunger Games ditched the director after the first movie, Star Wars specifically planned on switching directors, and I'm sure if I googled a bit I could find more examples. It's just one of those things that's going to happen.

Hunger Games was a smash hit that was a creative success. Not only that but it's a contained universe. Plus there's a difference between switching directors and having them quit mid-development, one implies that your studio leadership and creative direction is faulty, too restrictive, or both.

This is problematic for DC when they're in the middle of creating a brand. They're not like Star Wars, which always switched directors anyways, or Marvel, because both of those have incredibly strong cinematic brands that can survive creative issues. WB realistically can't. They need success, and they need stability, and they need it fast. They have neither.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Directors drop out of superhero films a lot. It's basically a rite of passage and could mean any number of things.

That said, Ava DuVernay on Black Panther never got past preliminary talks and was never even officially confirmed (edit: okay I see everyone has mentioned this but I'm gonna mention it anyway :colbert:), and we can't really compare Grahame-Smith and MacLaren leaving a production in development with Marvel directors like Branagh and Taylor who...y'know...did their jobs and finished their films with Marvel. I mean, we could, but then we can see that they're not really that comparable. The former suggests that production is going through internal issues, while the latter suggests that internal issues didn't really deter the production.

And then you have to consider that the DCEU doesn't really have that many films out in the first place and these two are, well, the first ones that aren't directed by Snyder. Again, it could mean any number of things, but it's tough to put a positive spin on it...other than it being a good thing that an inexperienced director like Grahame-Smith is being shuffled out for someone "better," I suppose, but then, why seek him out in the first place?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I bet Kevin Smith would direct the Flash movie for free

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The weird thing about the creative differences with Seth Grahame-Smith is that supposedly they're still using the script he wrote. So if that's the case what were the differences? The real answer is that there probably weren't any and they just didn't want to risk another poorly received film because they chose a guy who's never directed anything but an episode of some random MTV show.

Rurea posted:

I bet Kevin Smith would direct the Flash movie for free

Think of all the daily videos of him weeping on set.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

If you mean this specific iteration of the DCEU than sure, MAYBE, DC might have something to talk internally about. If something catastrophic actually killed this current DCEU I am comfortable saying DC will make more movies with their IP and be successful. Marvel on the other hand, struggled with success in movies until their MCU took off.

Marvel didn't make movies until Iron Man, and even that was co-produced with Paramount.

And yeah, of course, DC's gonna keep making movies. I'm speaking about the DCEU, which needs to be creatively and financially successful in the same way the MCU was to continue. Marvel built a brand with the MCU and now can comfortably reap the rewards for possibly decades at this point. WB and DC in specific are scrambling to replicate that success, mostly via an all-in tactic and relying completely on Zack Snyder for their creative vision. And now they're at the point where, unless the solo projects start bearing fruit, they could be looking at a universe reboot barely five or so years into it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Hunger Games was a smash hit that was a creative success. Not only that but it's a contained universe. Plus there's a difference between switching directors and having them quit mid-development, one implies that your studio leadership and creative direction is faulty, too restrictive, or both.

This is problematic for DC when they're in the middle of creating a brand. They're not like Star Wars, which always switched directors anyways, or Marvel, because both of those have incredibly strong cinematic brands that can survive creative issues. WB realistically can't. They need success, and they need stability, and they need it fast. They have neither.

Big budget franchises often change director for various reasons, and it doesn't actually impact a film/franchise's success/failure nearly as much as people on the internet seem to think.

As BrianWilly pointed out, DC has only lost 1 director and has only put out 2 movies. Claiming the sky is falling right now for DC over a change in directors is silly hyperbole.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

The weird thing about the creative differences with Seth Grahame-Smith is that supposedly they're still using the script he wrote. So if that's the case what were the differences? The real answer is that there probably weren't any and they just didn't want to risk another poorly received film because they chose a guy who's never directed anything but an episode of some random MTV show.

Movies are director-led over screenwriter-led, and the way studios work on scripts with the customary hiring of a couple of in-house writers to rework or smooth out anything the studio doesn't like means that Grahame-Smith's name on it doesn't really mean anything.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Movies are director-led over screenwriter-led, and the way studios work on scripts with the customary hiring of a couple of in-house writers to rework or smooth out anything the studio doesn't like means that Grahame-Smith's name on it doesn't really mean anything.

Yeah, but I still don't buy creative differences as a reason for him leaving. I think it's clearly they just want a name director because they feel they need to have it done right.

Creative differences is just a cop out to make him look better because they wanted to dump him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

a) the best non-superhero comic book adaptations;

b) the best superhero films not adapted from either Marvel or DC; and

c) the best superhero films not adapted from anything?

a) Cemetery Man/Dellamorte Dellamore
b) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) and Mystery Men
c) Blankman and The Incredibles

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Yeah, but I still don't buy creative differences as a reason for him leaving. I think it's clearly they just want a name director because they feel they need to have it done right.

I'm very curious to see who gets to direct it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

Claiming the sky is falling right now for DC over a change in directors is silly hyperbole.

Nobody's saying that. And yes, creative vision being so in flux can absolutely negatively impact a fledgling brand, which is the point. Think of all the very bad Fantastic Four movies, the most recent of which was plagued with production issues. The most recent one was a massive creative and financial failure because the F4 as a brand is in the loving toilet. In contrast, look at Creed, which took a brand that had been sullied for a long time and, as a spinoff, revitalized it to massive financial success. Creative direction matters when establishing a brand, because it engenders audience trust. Heck, you can even see it with BvS. Technically speaking it was a "success", but after its first weekend ticket sales plummeted because everyone decided to stay the gently caress away. It underperformed in Asia as well, because the narrative had already run away from it - it was a "Bad Movie", whether or not you agree, and profits suffered as a result.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

a) Cemetery Man/Dellamorte Dellamore
I had that as my first answer initially. Didn't think it really fit the question, though.

fuckin love that movie

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 2, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

a) A History of Violence or Road to Perdition

b) Rocketeer or Mystery Men

c) Eliminators or The Incredibles

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

redbackground posted:

I had that as my first answer initially. Didn't think it really fit the question, though.

fuckin love that movie

that movie is amazing, I've subjected nearly all of my friends to it at some time or another

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
a) Dredd / Popeye

b) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Hellboy

c) The Incredibles / Unbreakable

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

For a) or b) I want to say the first TMNT film, which it falls into depends on if you consider them "superheroes" or not. I am going to consider them non-superheros and say that's my a)

b) I kind of want to cheat and say Project A-ko or Kamen Rider or something :v:

c) I quite liked Mercury Man, although it's been years since I've seen it now.

I also wanted to work Tank Girl into this list somewhere but it didn't seem to quite fit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

a) Dredd

b) TMNT

c) Super

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Toxxupation posted:

Plus even though Wright left, it sounds like they used a lot of his script and kept the general story.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Akira would also work for a)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Toxxupation posted:

Look at Creed, which took a brand that had been sullied for a long time and, as a spinoff, revitalized it to massive financial success.

It would be fairer to say Rocky Balboa laid down a lot of the work to restoring the series' reputation. It's doubtful Creed would have even gotten made if Rocky V was people's last lingering memory of the character/property.

• Locked thread