Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Robobot posted:

I know I've been half assing sticking up for imperial measurements, but we did that all the time at the bakery I worked at. We used metric for almost everything there simply because it was easier.

But you'll take my miles and inches from day to day life from my cold dead hands!

Same as a former Pastry Chef. But the amount of people who getting so worked up about the superiority of Metric is giving me a laugh. Protip: if it's actually useful in it's application Americans have already switched to metric, if it's totally irrelevant then they have not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Robobot posted:

But you'll take my miles and inches from day to day life from my cold dead hands!

The only flaw of metric is how unweidly it is to say kilometer and centimeter compared to mile and inch. "Clicks" has taken off, but theres no good slang for cm.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Same as a former Pastry Chef. But the amount of people who getting so worked up about the superiority of Metric is giving me a laugh. Protip: if it's actually useful in it's application Americans have already switched to metric, if it's totally irrelevant then they have not.

Pretty much.

I will say, for day-to-day use, I much prefer Farenheit to Celsius

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I have never once encountered someone who figured out how much water they had by weighing it

I do this. It's really useful.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I suggest we all fully convert to metric. But just call it Imperial.

Because that's badass and cool.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Pretty much.

I will say, for day-to-day use, I much prefer Farenheit to Celsius

Fahrenheit is the one thing I will say is much better for telling you what temperature it is outside. I get using C for science stuff, but if I wanna know exactly how hot or cold it's gonna feel outside then having waaaaaaay more numbers to do so is beneficial.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Robobot posted:

Fahrenheit is the one thing I will say is much better for telling you what temperature it is outside. I get using C for science stuff, but if I wanna know exactly how hot or cold it's gonna feel outside then having waaaaaaay more numbers to do so is beneficial.

I've never understood this argument. I guarantee that a person cannot tell the difference between 70 and 71°, and if you really need that specific of a value, most C thermometers measure to a decimal point (or at least half a point, which is very close to a Farenheit degree)

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've never understood this argument. I guarantee that a person cannot tell the difference between 70 and 71°, and if you really need that specific of a value, most C thermometers measure to a decimal point (or at least half a point, which is very close to a Farenheit degree)

I can tell if my thermostat is one degree off. Most everyone can, but if you're not used to seeing and feeling the difference then I guess it would be harder.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arthur should've remained more popular for kids than Spongebob.

(It's retiring this winter)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

The only flaw of metric is how unweidly it is to say kilometer and centimeter compared to mile and inch. "Clicks" has taken off, but theres no good slang for cm.

Sent.

I hate this dumb measurements argument, not because metric isn't the clear winner, but because how repetitive and dumb it is.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

centimeters are seemies

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ishikabibble posted:

i love my pop shelf where i store my 500 2l bottles of mountain dew and nothing else

gotta always have some hand, y'know

How many yards in 837 miles, do it in your head

I know how many metres are in 837 kilometres and I don't have to do any maths, it's 837,000 ("," is the unit separator in the UK).

Nope, no practical applications. None for travelling. Absolutely none

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Now explain why you need to know how many yards you're going

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The reasonable measurement is "a days travel" by car.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Distances don't really matter anyway in almost all practical situations now. All that matters is how long the GPS app tells you it will take to get where you're going. If you're lost in the woods with no connection then maybe it'd matter, but you're not going to sit there thinking "ok, the map scale says it will take 5 kilometers to get to safety...wish I knew how far that was in yards". You'd just go to the closest thing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Distances don't really matter anyway in almost all practical situations now. All that matters is how long the GPS app tells you it will take to get where you're going. If you're lost in the woods with no connection then maybe it'd matter, but you're not going to sit there thinking "ok, the map scale says it will take 5 kilometers to get to safety...wish I knew how far that was in yards". You'd just go to the closest thing.

Yeah but you have to use old-style maps if you want to mark out and organize your trip around visiting a dozen interesting places, google maps and other mapping things do not support that

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

alexandriao posted:

Yeah but you have to use old-style maps if you want to mark out and organize your trip around visiting a dozen interesting places, google maps and other mapping things do not support that

Uh, they absolutely do? You just add everywhere you want to go as a stop before your final destination and they'll even helpfully let you know what the time is between each individually.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

doverhog posted:

This is nonsense, more like time to location by local transport, like trams or metro. If it's more than 1 hour seriously consider whether you actually wanna go there.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

doverhog posted:

doverhog posted:

This is nonsense, more like time to location by local transport, like trams or metro. If it's more than 1 hour seriously consider whether you actually wanna go there.

I've never seen cognitive dissonance in real time before! What an exciting day!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Zore posted:

Uh, they absolutely do? You just add everywhere you want to go as a stop before your final destination and they'll even helpfully let you know what the time is between each individually.

Right, but at no point can you say "Ok I want to go from A to B, show me all the interesting things between here and there so I can chart out a route"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

It took me an hour to get to work on trams and buses when I was in Switzerland. I wish I could have taken your advice because I would have much rather not gone there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Robobot posted:

I've never seen cognitive dissonance in real time before! What an exciting day!

Think of it as fast forward.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

alexandriao posted:

Right, but at no point can you say "Ok I want to go from A to B, show me all the interesting things between here and there so I can chart out a route"

You can search for attractions along your route in Google Maps.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It took me an hour to get to work on trams and buses when I was in Switzerland. I wish I could have taken your advice because I would have much rather not gone there.

It's been a while but I remember you liked Switzerland for some parts at least. Never been there myself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

It's been a while but I remember you liked Switzerland for some parts at least. Never been there myself.

Yeah everything was great, except for the work part. It was such a pain to get there - 2 trams, a bus, then a minibus/van thing. Didn't help that work was on top of a small mountain with only one hourly public transport option.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

silence_kit posted:

You can search for attractions along your route in Google Maps.

This requires a preselected route, which defeats the point of selecting the route for the attractions

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That sounds like a major chore, yeah.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They’re both arbitrary systems of measurement and you’re all weird nerds for caring, especially the poster whose job it is to build 2L Mountain Dew shelves and the poster who doesn’t know how to use google maps.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Who says "clicks"? The abbreviation for kilometre is "kay", eg.

:geno: How far's that?
:goleft: 20 kays.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Everyone knows that Fahrenheit is objectively worse because I personally don't know what temperature any of the numbers signify.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There is no "objective" worse or better, it's just a bunch of inputs that may all be spoofed.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I would say this has gone on long enough but I'm not sure how you measure internet slap fight lengths in any measurement system

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Badactura posted:

I would say this has gone on long enough but I'm not sure how you measure internet slap fight lengths in any measurement system

You’d use a spectrograph.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

but theres no good slang for cm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xWRpUdKujE

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Who says "clicks"? The abbreviation for kilometre is "kay", eg.

:geno: How far's that?
:goleft: 20 kays.

Maybe its a regional thing. I've definitely heard far more people say clicks than k.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Everyone who is defending even a part of what is known by Americans as the "imperial" system, and by human beings as the "stupid American system" is a Fishmech re-reg.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Metric is pretty much better, but also forever lol at the people complaining that imperial is arbitrary when metric's base measurement is The Holy Stick In France.

Oh wait it was originally "one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole along a great circle", that fundamental and immutably important measurement that all the world instantly recognizes.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Byzantine posted:

Metric is pretty much better, but also forever lol at the people complaining that imperial is arbitrary when metric's base measurement is The Holy Stick In France.

Oh wait it was originally "one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole along a great circle", that fundamental and immutably important measurement that all the world instantly recognizes.

yeah but that's no longer the case, all of metric is standardized to universal principles

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

M.O.T. a pseudoargument based entirely on a Wikipedia'd fact that is true but also completely irrelevant is the literal definition of fishmeching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I use the completely superior system of "a bit", "a bit more than a bit", "a bunch", and "it's too drat hot".