Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I like that there are a bunch of things in this game that are legit hard to describe without using the game's own made-up words. Like if I say "wrestling goat" or "prison baby" you get what I mean but I guarantee a person who has not played Dark Souls 3 isn't picturing anything even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

The thrusting swords can get in pokes where other weapon classes would have to settle for a trade. Counter damage is seemingly tuned moreso to that style of play, as opposed to letting slower weapons exploit a miss for more damage. In other words, Rapiers have the right balance of fast to swing, fast to recover that makes them well-suited for hitting the counter frames, while everything else isn't as good at that. IMO this make it a crappier counter system than they've had before.

It's definitely more limiting, since it makes counter damage less attractive unless you're using a good thrusting weapon. There's a reason I really don't bother with the Leo Ring after turning more to the broadsword/knight sword and halberds and the like.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

New Concept Hole posted:

Having tested it, I'd say if your timing's good enough to take advantage of counter damage, you're better off going for a parry. Getting counter damage is definitely not as generous as it was in DkS1 or 2. It's probably too far in the opposite direction instead.

It's more that with some weapons, the hyperarmor let's you hit them regardless, xept with the ring you are going to win the damage race.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was trying to think of what you meant by wrestling goat. Then yeah, it hit me.

gently caress THOSE GUYS. I'm surprised there's so few of those around though.

Otherwise I went for my first 2h giant weapon dude in pvp and jeez this is ridiculous. Took Vordt's Hammer and my kill rate is way up compared to other poo poo, just roll and swing, no one's getting away.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New Concept Hole posted:

The thrusting swords can get in pokes where other weapon classes would have to settle for a trade. Counter damage is seemingly tuned moreso to that style of play, as opposed to letting slower weapons exploit a miss for more damage. In other words, Rapiers have the right balance of fast to swing, fast to recover that makes them well-suited for hitting the counter frames, while everything else isn't as good at that. IMO this make it a crappier counter system than they've had before.

The dragonslayer greatbow seems to have a 2x counter modifier.
Is that real or is it just confirmation bias on my part?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

This was the vid about Leo Ring i saw iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwzOsgP9V5U

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

swamp waste posted:

I like that there are a bunch of things in this game that are legit hard to describe without using the game's own made-up words. Like if I say "wrestling goat" or "prison baby" you get what I mean but I guarantee a person who has not played Dark Souls 3 isn't picturing anything even close.

Wrestling goats are my most hated enemy in this game. gently caress their ridiculously big hitbox on the grab attack.

I love "prison baby" name. They legit creep me out, no matter the amount of time I've spent in Irithyll Dungeon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Theres only two wrestlegoats though. The others are stabby, poky or bad-breath

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
There's more of them in Smouldering Lake, actually.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HaB posted:

Speaking of the Lucerne- it is now my new favorite PvP weapon. Straight sword spammers consistently misread the range on it, so if they try to trade it winds up me: 1 them: 0

:v:

It's my second favorite weapon behind the Greataxe, and I win pvp more often with it than anything else. I think for me the swing speed is such that I often catch players as they're coming out of their rolls; I know it's a thing good players can do with most weapons but the timing just clicks for me with the Lucerne. Also it looks badass without having any fantasy element to it.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

swamp waste posted:

Honestly the best part of the game is making up names for enemies when you don't know them. I still remember my first time through the game, fighting past those mother fuckers with the saws, then going down and fighting that big cock sucker, finally finding a bonfire only to be confronted by creepy bird fuckers. When I finally beat those I had to contend with those poo poo eaters with the logs, the stupid loving mushrooms, and some big screaming rear end hole fucks.

This is still how I think of the enemies. Canonical names be damned. For the record, "wrestling goat" is "goat fucker" and "prison baby" is "jesus gently caress what the gently caress is that god drat" in my nomenclature.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Supremezero posted:

And if you're not careful you can pull other goats to the royal rumble, and it will not be fun at all :(

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Honestly the best part of the game is making up names for enemies when you don't know them. I still remember my first time through the game, fighting past those mother fuckers with the saws, then going down and fighting that big cock sucker, finally finding a bonfire only to be confronted by creepy bird fuckers. When I finally beat those I had to contend with those poo poo eaters with the logs, the stupid loving mushrooms, and some big screaming rear end hole fucks.

This is still how I think of the enemies. Canonical names be damned. For the record, "wrestling goat" is "goat fucker" and "prison baby" is "jesus gently caress what the gently caress is that god drat" in my nomenclature.

You people are both crazy.

"Prison baby" is "Gollum".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have a special hate for the opera goats myself.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

This was the vid about Leo Ring i saw iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwzOsgP9V5U

This video makes it seems like the best counter-heavy style is one that uses heavy weapons rather than thrusting weapons, though that's not particularly surprising considering how effective heavier weapons usually are in the souls games.

Though it really seems like you have to dump into vigor or else you can't actually stand to trade too many blows.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Supremezero posted:

I had no idea because my tactic for Smouldering Lake was 'keep running, pick up all the shinies, keep running til I fall into lava'

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Supremezero posted:

You people are both crazy.

"Prison baby" is "Gollum".

I was about to post this! They look just like him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SynthOrange posted:

Theres only two wrestlegoats though. The others are stabby, poky or bad-breath

Or Dog Goats.

This does tell you how evil the jumping fuckers are, if there are 4 of them in the game total and garner that much hate.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not even the Anor Londo archers get that much hate from me to be honest. Their grab attack has DS Ogres level of bullshit and they can just spam jump all the time. As close second they come Corvians wich unless you kill fast, they can just swarm you and fly making the camera go crazy.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I hate the dual-wielding longneck motherfuckers in the peak the most, wrasslin' goats not so much because you can sneak up and backstab them easily, at least in Farron and there's no reason to go anywhere near the one in Smouldering Lake.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imagine if you could use the hunter's axe from bloodborne during the deacon's fight

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Silver archer bastards are some of the most annoying enemy in this game. A whole loving roof full of the jackasses and their man portable trebuchets. If that wasn't enough they all have lightning infused weapons.

Also +9 Zweihander :getin:

Manatee Cannon posted:

imagine if you could use the hunter's axe from bloodborne during the deacon's fight

I miss the hunter axe SO much.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I miss the hunter axe SO much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadYHNAYt_E

I miss that and its PvP :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the halberd spin just isn't the same, rip hunter's axe

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The best weapon for the popes would clearly be the beast cutter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well for starters the beast cutter's garbage and doesn't come close to the axe's damage, but more importantly it doesn't give you hyperarmor and knock down everything in a full circle around you

you wanna talk about weapons that are kinda like whips that'd be good here, let's talk about amygdala's arm

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Smol posted:

I swear I had a lot more blue sentinel / darkmoon calls on my previous characters. On my sorcerer playthrough, I got summoned a grand total of two times. :smith:
You were probably one of the lucky few it worked for pre-patch; now that the summons are spread out among more players you're getting less. On average I'd say I get one around every 20 minutes or so. Which is better than none, but still a very slow grind, especially since half the time I spawn in and the host has died.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

That double spin got me through many a bullshit chalice dungeon.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm now wondering if I should restart. I've kind of lost momentum in Irithyll. In both previous games a restart and more focused (or at least differently focused) character made things go a lot better.

Irithyll, especially the start, is an extremely vicious area. easy to go on tilt there. my personal recommendation would be to power through, especially if you haven't gotten to the bonfire in the church yet, but your call!

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Fire Barrel posted:

And I think I've basically given up on the ring achievement just because my blue phantom summons are laughably inconsistent, despite the fact that I'll often get swarmed by blue phantoms as an invader. The lack of sin and blue eye orbs, when taken with the dodgy auto-summoning, just makes it super tedious. Just ends up feeling like a waste of time there.

Blue eye orbs won't fix the problem like you think they will, unless you regularly defeat gank squads 3v1. Because if you think gank squads are bad as a red eye invader, they will be twice as bad as a blue eye invader.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've done that where I've restarted mid-game in DS1 and DS2, neither of which I've finished as of yet. I stuck with it on 3 and it's a breeze on my second playthrough knowing what i'll be up against or what i'll need.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, Bloodborne looks so much better than DS3. Just Yharnam in general. Best lookin' city I've seen in a game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah, Yharnam is incredibly good looking. I really wish I could turn off the "blood" effect that gunks up your player model in DS3, it looks really bad compared to Bloodborne's.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
checking to make sure i understand it correctly: offering vertebrae to the altar as a mount maker breaks the lord of hollows questline, but just using the covenant doesn't, right?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PleasingFungus posted:

Irithyll, especially the start, is an extremely vicious area. easy to go on tilt there. my personal recommendation would be to power through, especially if you haven't gotten to the bonfire in the church yet, but your call!

I did get to the bonfire in the church. Didn't see it the first time, and yeah the first part of Irithyll is ridiculous. I made it a bit futher but lost interest after the swampy/marshy area. IDK

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just keep running. You were almost at another bonfire.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
yeah, there's a few different paths you can take from there. i'd give it another shot.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is there a good way to deal with that stupid alligator cat? I wind up running because every hit that connects does way too much damage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On the right hand side there should be a tree near a rock wall. I dealt with it by running between them, and it got its head stuck between them and I cheesed it to death. On the other hand you can just keep running and get to the bonfire before it eats you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

PleasingFungus posted:

checking to make sure i understand it correctly: offering vertebrae to the altar as a mount maker breaks the lord of hollows questline, but just using the covenant doesn't, right?

You've had some bad info. The only things that really piss off Yuria are killing Anri prematurely, having your Dark Sigils removed, or attacking Yuria. Other than that, you just need to talk to Anri wherever you find them, and deny them knowledge of Horace whenever they ask.